Progression server - what can you make?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear up In A Few Hours?

How can you gear up in a few hours? I started in October 1999 and there was no way to gear up within a few hours.

Comment

This server is very interesting. I started back in may '99, and must admit, I get a tingly feeling thinking about this server, hehe.

Concerning tradeskills. DoN cultural, if available and with augs, will be bluddy brilliant upgrades for everyone. I'm not sure if I think it should be possible to make DoN cultural from the get go, or if it should be unlocked later on. I think I'm leaning towards no. Make things harder.

About classes. I foresee Druids, all over , the halfling kind.

Myself. I two-box. Suits RL better. (Family man with youngsters in the house, need quick afks, hehe). And will two-box on this server aswell. And I must admit, I will make a Druid. SoW, port and tracking is just to great tools. Partner? hmm.. A Necro has and will allways own. Mage might be nice. Chanter, cause I'm pondering JC.. hard to say now.

I welcome this server, hopefully it will bring back some good ole' memories.

-Mortec

Comment

There is one HUGE problem with progression server and.

and having to kill the mob's in hate and fear. unless they are powered down to old levels they will be impossible unless you bring 7 or more full raids! and as far as hunting butcherblock for goblins, there ARE other ways to get money, rat's in qeynos and freeport are good moneymakers with their stackable eyes, and rat tails, and the whiskers are a good moneymaker too 1g for 4 of them to quest npc. and don't forget about crushbone belts and shoulderpads for a quest in kaladim, and I hope sharkmeat is for sale on vendors again, that was a good way to get money. Oh, and for you people complaining about cultural? realize one thing, DoN cultural will not be available till DoN is unlocked!!! so we'll be stuck with blue diamond cultural at best (sucks for agnostic classes)
        Last edited by BranvenShadowslayer; 05-08-2006, 08:40 AM.

Comment

I made characters on Kane and A Bayle when they 1st opened. Both were new servers. Newbie zones were insane. Everyone wanted to be the 1st to do tradeskills and full suits of banded were as cheap as you could make them without breaking even. If they are going to keep the newbie race armor quests the value of banded will drop even further. I can't imagine they would allow DoN stuff, that would be stupid. Banded --> Bronze --> Crafted(or other class quested) should be pretty much it til Kunark. Beating Vox with that crap and a couple Yaks will be a worthy challenge and will slow advancement nicely. Everyone knows how to fight raid mobs so gearing and levels are all you need. If the gear is unbalanced then expect Kunark in a month and Velious maybe 2 months after that.

People will get to learn all over again why Druids and Necros have such a bad rep. Funny after all the bitching they did to become more group friendly and they will go right back to being anti-social soloing machines.

Comment

Originally posted by mewkus
            Well, off the top of my head...

Jewelcrafting (to 300):
            Gem Studded Chain

Fletching (to 282):
            Cheap arrow path to 202 should still be available, then the various Shadewood Bows will go to 282. Higher for some if they keep the karana/wood elf in there.

Baking (to 300):
            Should be able to do Misty Thicket Picnics (provided they still sell Rennet in E. Freeport). Fish Rolls would still be available as a midpoint. Patty Melts also if Cheese is sold in E. Freeport still.

Smithing (to 300):
            Banded, then Fine Plate to 188, then MCS the rest of the way.

Tailoring (to 252):
            Wu's to 158, then Ceremonial Solstice Robe to 252.

Pottery (to 300):
            Casserole dish if E. Freeport vendor has casserole dish sketches. Then Red Ceramic Band' will get you to 242. Then Star Ruby Encrusted Steins will get you to 300.

So, from what I can figure off the top of my head, brewing, tailoring, and fletching are the only ones that you cant get to 300 with.

Another question though is when will things like AAs become available? When Luclin is added? Will you be able to get New Tannan Mastery then, or with PoP? Will 300 be allowed prior to DoN?
            You mention alot of Luclin era recipe's from POTC quest. I kind of wonder if they will actually go live when everything else does since the quest will not exist for a few expansions.

Chances are good that if you level up your skills pre-Luclin stuff, you are going to be limited to Race armors.

As for blue diamonds, those were rare drops in Planes of Fear Hate and Air. I remember guilds working for several clearing to get resist jewelry. And Hate has had at least 2 upgrades since it went live. Fear had several things added, epic mobs for instance. The Berzerker mob alone will create many many lenghty CR's if he is active.

Comment

I started in April 1999

Originally posted by Tejaye
              How can you gear up in a few hours? I started in October 1999 and there was no way to gear up within a few hours.
              There was no way to gear up fast. your armor progression was,

Cloth
              Patchwork or Leather
              Banded/Chain(drops for small or large in unrest/Najena/Runnyeye)
              Bronze
              Class quests armor (ie Warriors were in South Karana.)
              Plane of Hate/Fear armor

Also used to be Rubicite armor in the old Cazic Thule and a couple odd pieces in Lower Guk and Nafegans Lair + Sol A. Hmm maybe they bring that back?

If they don't wipe everything out then there may be the old class armor quests in each home town.

I wonder how much 500 pp will go for one ebay?

Comment

DoN Armor pre-DoN...

Originally posted by Eleena Transient
                Incorrect.

The devs stated the mechanism they are using to implement the server is simply to trick the account that you have not registered the expansions that are not unlocked. As such, a player that talks to the npc can NOT get the task, because he doesn't have DoN registered. This is just like a person that doesn't have PoR attempting to get the trophy task from freeport.
                Actually (if it hasn't been answered multiple times before), you can make the DoN armor without the DoN expansion. I know because I did. I only recently bought the titanium edition to round out my account (quit before Luclin). So unless they change that requirement, it will not stop anyone.

Good luck!

Comment

True however

Originally posted by rolfus
                  Actually (if it hasn't been answered multiple times before), you can make the DoN armor without the DoN expansion. I know because I did. I only recently bought the titanium edition to round out my account (quit before Luclin). So unless they change that requirement, it will not stop anyone.

Good luck!
                  True, but on the progression server some races will have a severe limiting factor, some components needed come from Luclin. Barbarians I think for instance need drop from Luclin for Expert level armor(35 to 40 level armor). Absent that they will need to make journey man last until they complete the class quest armors. A couple other races have the same problem too. So essentially there will be a hold up on armor until Kurnak and Velious and Luclin expansions are opened up.

It will be interesting how they SOE deal with everything particularly the race armors from DON. The easiest way would be to say no one gets any. However this would be the perfect place to push for and introduce a tradeskill driven economy.

For those that weren't there/here at the beginning, get use to grouping alot and not having alot of hit points. Almost none of the armor pre-Velious had hit points except a few rare pieces.

I am getting really nostalgic now. I remember when I was tanking mobs with 2 langseux or my trust GZ. I'm sorry I'm getting misty. /tear

Comment

I am getting excited about this new server. I am glad that the tutorial will not be in on day 1. I came into this game late (2002) and even then, was playing catch up with all the other players. It will be fun to start out on an even playing field.

Some hopes...

-I hope that the newbie armor is also not available on day one.
                    -I hope that the expansions are set to 'progress' on a minimum time table. So that if a guild triggers the event for progression to the next server, it will not become available if the minimum time table isn't reached. Once the minimum time table is reached and a guild has already triggered the event for progression, the expansion would be automatically opened. They could possibly set the minimum time to the times that the original expansions became available? That might be too long tho.
                    -lol, I hope a euro guild is there to support my addiction of raiding in off EST/PST hours since I work night shift.

Questions...

-Is there a primary web page opened up yet for this server? A page not related to eqforums, since I can't access those pages at work.

Some I knows...

-This will be quite fun.
                    -It was a few pages back, but every home town has the ability to create Banded Armor as I had to do it with my Froggie when I started out fresh on the ZEK server a few months back. No money + No known friends + No items = farming newbie areas for boat loads of rusty weapons = tarnished weapons = small piece/bricks of ore = sheet metal. I actually made a profit on skilling up to 115 Blacksmithing... Hehe

What I will be playing...

Probably a Cleric, SK, & SHaman. I two box frequently and have another box that will allow me to three box. Just gotta get the commands & keys down I don't know though. I might just stick to one. If that is the case, it will be either a Cleric or Shaman. Although a Druid or Wizzie does sound like it will Kick butt on this server. So many decisions to make before Day 1... hehe
                    Last edited by Sarinth; 05-09-2006, 02:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Astroshak
                      Been playing since Dec 2000, and I've never seen any KoS merchants (unless I attacked em first).
                      When EQ first went live, and for about a year afterwards, the Griffons in East Commonlands would regularly munch the rather ineffectual Guards outside the Inns, then be beaten to death by the irate shopkeepers. The shopkeepers would then stand around on the roofs of the shops, refusing to sell, pausing only to chase off the odd Dark Elf, Ogre or Troll that happened to pass by. They would then go back to standing on the roof.

Later, they were hard-coded to be no worse than Dubious to anyone, and therefore stopped chasing random players and wildlife in preference to minding their shops.
                      Gaell Stormracer, Storm Warden of Tunare, United Kingdoms, Antonius Bayle

Comment

• To me, all of the variables as to what is available day 1 and what is not are important, but only to know what the decision is so I can best prepare my plan for what to do when the server opens.

If the tutorial is in, then I will get to know the tutorial well enough that I can get through it in minimal time and gain maximum benefit in that time. If not, I need to determine what race I will play and get to know that area like the back of my hand before launch.

The only thing I really have as a request for opening of The Combine is that The Temple of Cazic-Thule be reverted to it's original 20's zone population instead of the current 50's zone. It was a lot more fun that way. I remember being an enchanter in that zone and trying to take care of adds in the throne room. Now *that* was a challenge.

Anyway, good gravy I want to play this game again after a 3-year hiatus.
                        Ajia Picnicqueen of Xev
                        Druzzil Ro
                        -----
                        Blofeld Stavros of Xev
                        Druzzil Ro
                        -----
                        Alora
                        The Combine

Comment

• One big item that will decide on what can be made is whether CE will be available. Without it, there is a lot of reciples that will have to wait until SoL is open. Jewel crafters will be in demand to help fill those slots that you cannot get armor for. I would like to know if we are going to be able to get the trophies from Freeport, so we can evole it while we are making stuff. Would be nice to actually have the item evole along with you from the start, rather then getting a level 5 or 6 one and maxing it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zudelvar
                            One big item that will decide on what can be made is whether CE will be available. Without it, there is a lot of reciples that will have to wait until SoL is open. Jewel crafters will be in demand to help fill those slots that you cannot get armor for. I would like to know if we are going to be able to get the trophies from Freeport, so we can evole it while we are making stuff. Would be nice to actually have the item evole along with you from the start, rather then getting a level 5 or 6 one and maxing it out.
                            Trophies tasks have an expansion flag on them. So they will not be unlocked until PoR
                            Ngreth Thergn

Ngreth nice Ogre. Ngreth not eat you. Well.... Ngreth not eat you if you still wiggle!
                            Grandmaster Smith 250
                            Master Tailor 200
                            Ogres not dumb - we not lose entire city to froggies

Comment

• Blue Diamond Cultural ><

BD cultural means 4 clerics and 1 ogre war and 1 bard can single group Naggy...There would be a herd of part time players running around in banded and raw silk and a herd of people who multi-box all day with BD cultural... and the disparity between the two sets would be ridiculous.

I am assuming they will simply lockout the NPC's that allow too powerful items to be made. The easiest NPC's to change would be locking out the enchant metal spells for smithing metals, as well as the quest NPC's for DoN Armor... Along with the Celestial Essence Vendors...

That would mean remapping the tradeskill vendors by expansion... so that the starting out items are on different vendors in Neriak for example. Or all of the inappropriate items are moved to one vendor per town, who's inventory changes as expansions are unlocked.

It wouldnt be that hard to have an NPC who is closed for business until the appropriate expansion has been launched...

So I would expect cultural components to be missing until appropriate... If they are available, then it kinda kills all the attraction for the server.

You have to remember that you don't need blue diamond cultural as a newbie anyway... My warrior was level 15 or so before she got her first bronze item...
                              My warrior was in banded until level 30, when she got some of her South Karana Quested armor...My wizard was in raw silk until about level 28...

Also a few of the remapped zones would be unkillable with just armor from that expansion.. New Hate and New Cazic Thule come to mind... Old Hate used to take raids of at least 50 players... New Hate would probably require several hundred... Unless there is BD cultural, then its one groupable, and not really progression related...

Anyway thats my 2cp.

Comment

• Blue Diamond cultural would not be possible until Velious at the earliest, since it needs velium. It would require Luclin if they disable the celestial solvent vendors in Freeport. I think the threat of players single-grouping Naggy and Vox within weeks of release is a bit overstated.

I would be strongly against disabling the various enchant metal spells, though. The old-world (pre-Luclin) cultural armors were pretty decent for their time, requiring rare drops but offering better stats than stuff like banded and fine plate. I'm not saying everything is peachy-keen by any means with the old cultural; I'm just saying we don't want to go overboard on blocking stuff for this server.

Edit: The devs have already announced that a few zones would be reverted to their old forms until certain milestones are reached. These include, among others, Temple of Cazic, Hate, Fear, Mischief, Split-Paw Lair ... I know there's more, but I can't recall them off hand. A few other zones are likely to be disabled at launch, then enabled when a comparable expansion is unlocked.
                                Last edited by KyrosKrane; 05-12-2006, 10:21 PM.
                                Sir KyrosKrane Sylvanblade
                                Master Artisan (300 + GM Trophy in all) of Luclin (Veeshan)
                                Master Fisherman (200) and possibly Drunk (2xx + 20%), not sober enough to tell!
                                Lightbringer, Redeemer, and Valiant servant of Erollisi Marr

Comment

Working...
                                X