No announcement yet.

Progression server - what can you make?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After some pondering I have wondered how SOE will set up the character creation screen. One person did mention Froggies and Zerks. What about the Iksar? Vah Shir? and Beastlords? These models were only available when an expansion was released. Will there be a restriction on the characters made since the "home cities" will not known to Norrath until events are triggered.
    Duchess Melinia Spellteaser of Vazaelle
    "Old World Travelers"
    Tradeskills:
    GM Baker 300 + Trophy GM Brewing 12/18/04
    Fletching 146 Smithing 110
    Jewel Crafting 175 Pottery 175
    Research 155 Tailoring 83
    Fishing 185

Comment

Shouldn't be able to do any Misty Thicket Picnics for baking until Luclin expansion release, I would think....

Comment

On topic, but off tradeskills for a moment (hoping that Maddoc is still reading).

Kunark is going to be a very ...interesting expansion for good races with the changes to FV. I can remember taking the boat to FV for the first time (in my low 20's), getting bound at the bank and heading off to LOIO, and of course getting splatted by the drachnids. Twice. This was a very common ocurrence for low levels back then.

That first trip now is going to be even more fun. I actually went and did some checking this morning. The good news is that melees can be bound in FV away from the city. The other good news is that the TL gnome on the docks in FV is away from any immediate aggroing mobs, but a low level would still be facing a swim and a run through the drachnids to get to LOIO, and would pretty much have to bring a binder with him or else face a corpse run probably starting in Kaladim (at best).

Going the OT route is no longer a feasible option for good races. I can remember that it used to be that you could jump off the boat and swim to land away from the city. I used the gnome to get there this morning and landed a few feet away from a kos mob (who was green to me, but I'm level 70). And you can't talk to the TL gnomes if you're invisible.

The port to DL option is available, but was also always a risky proposition for low levels.

And any good races dying in Kunark are not going to be getting any sow or invis potions out of the bank for their CRs.

Leaving Kunark, in the absence of a Druid or Wizard, may be even more fun. I suppose you could invis to the TL gnome in OT, and say your phrase a second after you un-invis. The one in FV involves another swim, a climb up a ladder and then running across the dock past at least one point where a Dragoon occasionally paths. So invis is always going to be needed, and this is with me having no idea if there are any see invis mobs in either of the cities.

This is not a complaint and we'll live with it if this is the way it is. I just intend this as a heads up for those involved in planning the expansion server.

Comment

Blue Diamond Cultural

Boradek wrote:

"However, most of the tailored stuff does not. Here are a few examples of BD cultural armor that do not require anything unavailable pre-Kunark."

All of thses recipes operate on the assumption that celestial solvents will be available somewhere on the progression server. You'd be right if the East Freeport merchants will continue to sell it. Failing that, though, your blue diamond recipes will not be makeable since there's no route to make the embroidering needle.

Tough call. This should be an interesting twist on things.

Silverfish

Comment

I know that pre-Luclin, druids used to make a good living by being bound in FV, and offering ports back to civilization. And there is no reason to not expect melees and clerics to have invis potions in the bank, those are not expansion specific at all.
            While we are on the topic of travel, I assume the expansions will operate by the current rules for ports, not the restrictive rules they had when they came out (Kunark evacs only usable in Kunark dungeons, Velious ports requiring a dragon tooth, Luclin only having Nexus port. Traditionally travel restrictions were removed when the next expansion came out.
            Also I have not seen anything indicating the expansions would be restricted to becoming available in the original order (some mention that LoY and LDoN would even be easy to open). So it might be possible that Velious or Luclin could be available before Kunark. If LDoN is in fact easy to open, blue diamond cultural suddenly looks much less powerful.
            Finally, while pile of gravel does drop in the Hole, I am not sure anything short of a raid of level 50's could make any headway that deep.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobaten
              I know that pre-Luclin, druids used to make a good living by being bound in FV, and offering ports back to civilization. And there is no reason to not expect melees and clerics to have invis potions in the bank, those are not expansion specific at all.While we are on the topic of travel, I assume the expansions will operate by the current rules for ports, not the restrictive rules they had when they came out (Kunark evacs only usable in Kunark dungeons, Velious ports requiring a dragon tooth, Luclin only having Nexus port. Traditionally travel restrictions were removed when the next expansion came out.
              Also I have not seen anything indicating the expansions would be restricted to becoming available in the original order (some mention that LoY and LDoN would even be easy to open). So it might be possible that Velious or Luclin could be available before Kunark. If LDoN is in fact easy to open, blue diamond cultural suddenly looks much less powerful.
              Finally, while pile of gravel does drop in the Hole, I am not sure anything short of a raid of level 50's could make any headway that deep.
              It's not a matter of having them in the bank; it's a matter of being able to get to a bank to get them. Good characters have no bank available in Kunark as it currently exists.

Comment

Not entirely true; the NPC's who were in the elven outpost in FV moved to the island to the east of the zone. All the banks, vendors, quest NPC's, and so on are still there, and you can bind on that island. It's not particularly convenient or optimal, but at least it's there.
                Sir KyrosKrane Sylvanblade
                Master Artisan (300 + GM Trophy in all) of Luclin (Veeshan)
                Master Fisherman (200) and possibly Drunk (2xx + 20%), not sober enough to tell!
                Lightbringer, Redeemer, and Valiant servant of Erollisi Marr

Comment

Also, Cloudy Potions are available to all players from old-world vendors. This Allakhazam page shows vendors in Qeynos, Felwith, Ak'Anon, and Neriak, among many other places. Of course, 10pp per potion is NOT cheap when mobs are typically dropping less than 3pp per kill, sometimes much less at lower levels.
                  Sir KyrosKrane Sylvanblade
                  Master Artisan (300 + GM Trophy in all) of Luclin (Veeshan)
                  Master Fisherman (200) and possibly Drunk (2xx + 20%), not sober enough to tell!
                  Lightbringer, Redeemer, and Valiant servant of Erollisi Marr

Comment

Originally posted by KyrosKrane
                    Not entirely true; the NPC's who were in the elven outpost in FV moved to the island to the east of the zone. All the banks, vendors, quest NPC's, and so on are still there, and you can bind on that island. It's not particularly convenient or optimal, but at least it's there.
                    Ahhh. I knew the vendors had been moved there. I didn't know the bankers had also.

Comment

Hello everyone

I haven't even seriously considered playing EQ, in years, but when I heard about this new server, over at Graffe's, I had to jump over here and post.

Has there been any consideration of simply putting the expansions on a fixed server wide timer instead of requiring a quest be completed?

I think that would be a much better approach, since the last thing some of us ex EQ players want is another leveling race, and I think that's exactly what this new server will become.

A classic server with a fixed timer would certainly give players an incentive to stop and smell the roses, which is pretty much the only type of gaming that interest me anymore.

Maybe SOE could do a poll?

Oh, and fish rolls taste great dipped in spagetti sauce!

I just thought I would throw that cooking tip in for free

Comment

Originally posted by Boradek
                        This is not true. As far as I can tell, all the smithed bd cultural does in fact require velium at some point. I'm not 100% sure of this, but I checked a bunch of the recipes quickly.

However, most of the tailored stuff does not. Here are a few examples of BD cultural armor that do not require anything unavailable pre-Kunark.

http://www.eqtraders.com/items/show_...r=035000000000
                        http://www.eqtraders.com/items/show_...r=080040120060
                        http://www.eqtraders.com/items/show_...r=080040050040

Some of these items can be worn by plate classes as well. Erudite bd cultural is all tailored, even the platemail (don't ask me why...)

This stuff has to be disabled on the progression server, as it is horribly unbalancing.
                        You would need celestial solvent to make the celestial essence to make the purified water to make the celestial temper. Whether or not you are able to attain celestial solvent will dictate whether these are able to be made or not. These armors would have had to have been released with Luclin since the only zone that had celestial solvent for sale initially was the bazaar.
                        Last edited by Apolline7th; 04-12-2006, 06:51 PM.

Comment

ok, this is what i have looked up so far....
                          per Balamur's post shows who can get the books for the augments.

Everyone can get the ancestral book which gives the molds/patterns

IF celestial solvent stuff is forsale in freeport then DoN tailoring is possible, however, if it is NOT for sale, then ZERO don tailoring can be accomplished as need it to make the needles. Under the assumption that it will be available, i find the following possible at Orignal release only.....(did not include Vahshir / Iksar in initial lists)

Everyone will be able to make Journyman armor...

Humans, Halflings, Woodelves, Ogers, Trolls, Halfelves, Barbarians will be able to tailor Leather armor via drops from old world zones...

Halflings, Trolls, Froggies, Dwarves, Erudites will be able to Blacksmith up to Expert level via drops from old world zones...

Erudites only will be able to tailor up to Expert silk via drops from old world zones.
                          -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Jman Smithing = Everyone
                          Expert Smithing = Halfling - Trolls - Froggies - Dwarves - Erudites

Jman Tailoring (leather) = Everyone
                          Expert Tailoring (Leather) = Humans - Halflings - Woodelves - Ogers - Trolls - Halfelves - Barbarians

Jman Tailoring (Silk) = Everyone
                          Expert Tailoring (Silk) = Erudites only.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          IF celestial solvent stuff is available, Bluediamond cultural will be available but extremely rare.

Comment

Appoline7th wrote:

"You would need celestial solvent to make the celestial essence to make the purified water to make the celestial temper. Whether or not you are able to attain celestial solvent will dictate whether these are able to be made or not."

Two things. First, there are currently two vendors in East Freeport that sell celestial solvent, so if those vendors still exist with that in stock on the progression server, it'll be available. Second, you can buy a Tracker's Water Extractor from Klok Acet in the Field of Bone, and you can use purification tablets (bought from various old world vendors including Klok Acet himself) and a frost crystal (foraged in Everfrost) and you'll get your purified water. The problem with cultural tailoring is actually the embroidering needle, which can't be built without celestial essence.

Silverfish

Comment

I am one of those who hopes the server is on a set time table for progression.

It's fine to tie the progression to certain actions to be taken but still place a minimum on time please.

Balamur

Comment

Originally posted by Silverfish
                                Appoline7th wrote:

"You would need celestial solvent to make the celestial essence to make the purified water to make the celestial temper. Whether or not you are able to attain celestial solvent will dictate whether these are able to be made or not."

Two things. First, there are currently two vendors in East Freeport that sell celestial solvent, so if those vendors still exist with that in stock on the progression server, it'll be available. Second, you can buy a Tracker's Water Extractor from Klok Acet in the Field of Bone, and you can use purification tablets (bought from various old world vendors including Klok Acet himself) and a frost crystal (foraged in Everfrost) and you'll get your purified water. The problem with cultural tailoring is actually the embroidering needle, which can't be built without celestial essence.

Silverfish
                                Well, then one would still not be able to make the purified water without Kunark, right? No matter how you look at it you can't make it with Original Everquest. Also the vendor that sells them will have one for sale(referring to the extractor). Once it's sold there will not be another for sale until the next server/zone reset. That would severly limit the number on the server.
                                Last edited by Apolline7th; 04-15-2006, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X