Progression server - what can you make?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tutorial

So if no tutorial, what starting city will most of you use? I can't believe I will have to kill Rats and Bats at the Freeport gates again. Oh the memories.
    So if No Tutorial.......Banded will RULE!!!!
    Go Smiths

Comment

I've got to get my guild to start new selves on this progression server - will bring the game a whole new fresh feeling, maybe get some folks who have been a bit dodgy back into the swing of things.

May just have to go evil this go round - the dark elf casters always did have a style edge
      Aleksandros Baelmah
      70 Arch Magus, Infinite Jest
      Green Lantern, Felwithe Sector, Norrath, Xegony
      Journeyman Artisan
      Expert Smith (266)
      Spell Research (197)
      Journeyman Fletcher, Baker, Brewer, Jeweller, Potter, Fisherman (200), Tailor (212)

Comment

Originally posted by Tejaye
        So if no tutorial, what starting city will most of you use? I can't believe I will have to kill Rats and Bats at the Freeport gates again. Oh the memories.
        So if No Tutorial.......Banded will RULE!!!!
        Go Smiths
        It's all starting to come back to me now. Specifically, the choices we all had to make about starting race and city.

For example, my first thought on rolling a smith seemed obvious - roll an Ogre. You can't get higher primary stats than that. But, you also get a CHA of something like 37, which is going to be really interesting to overcome.

Then I started looking into the actual process of making stuff and...
        no sheet metal in Oggok. Ok, I can make a high charisma character and buy it somewhere else and put it in the shared bank. And I can get the banded molds in... the Feerott. That's going to be a ton of fun for skilling up, filling up my backpacks with molds and zoning back and forth.

And from there on to Fine Plate, which essentially can't be made in Oggok. No molds, no medium quality ore.

This is going to be fun.

Comment

Smithing for the Strong and Ugly

Xenephex wrote:

"Then I started looking into the actual process of making stuff and...
          no sheet metal in Oggok."

You can make sheet metal from raw ore, which you can get in Oggok. No worries there.

Xenephex further wrote:

"And from there on to Fine Plate, which essentially can't be made in Oggok. No molds, no medium quality ore."

Ogres are not well liked in Neriak, but they're well enough liked to go there to make plate armor. Again, not a big problem, and you can even get your leather padding makings nearby in the East Commonlands. And if you're really all about speed, you can do your banded smithing in Neriak as well.

Silverfish

Comment

Two words: spell research.

Whoever can get research components and make spells will rule the progression server.

neato necro gnomie girl
            Ancient Dominion, Antonius Bayle!

Comment

Originally posted by Silverfish
              Xenephex wrote:

"Then I started looking into the actual process of making stuff and...
              no sheet metal in Oggok."

You can make sheet metal from raw ore, which you can get in Oggok. No worries there.

Xenephex further wrote:

"And from there on to Fine Plate, which essentially can't be made in Oggok. No molds, no medium quality ore."

Ogres are not well liked in Neriak, but they're well enough liked to go there to make plate armor. Again, not a big problem, and you can even get your leather padding makings nearby in the East Commonlands. And if you're really all about speed, you can do your banded smithing in Neriak as well.

Silverfish
              Thank you. I did kind of know that but I appreciate the information.

My post wasn't intended to be in the nature of a complaint - it was intended to be a celebration of a return to a time when we actually had to make decisions like this, and balance the various alternatives.

If I were going to start an Ogre smith on a regular server now, I would solve the CHA problem with a couple of opal steins and maybe cha bracers. And I would just go to PoK to do all my smithing; what was or wasn't available in my home city would never be an issue; nor would faction.

I'm just excited about the prospect of all of those things mattering once again.

Comment

When

When is SOE Launching the Progression server?
                It will be funny watching "newbies" fighting over rat and bat spawns LOL.
                Any idea when it kicks-off?

Comment

NO ETA but they did say possibly a few months away in the dev chat.

Balamur

Comment

Bring back KOS merchants!

Dubious is for wussies.

Comment

Originally posted by Erikanudan
                      Bring back KOS merchants!

Dubious is for wussies.
                      Been playing since Dec 2000, and I've never seen any KoS merchants (unless I attacked em first). I have seen KoS bankers though - was rather irritating when people KoS to the banker in Kelethin would accidently, or deliberately, aggro him and he'd move out of position.

Comment

Research Skill?

will there be many reasearch items available on this new sever? If so what spells would actually be available?

Comment

Banded was a HUGE money maker when the game started. Oddly, there was no mold for banded gauntlets (they were added later) and were en fuego when they were announced. The desire for banded will be determined by the availability (or lack thereof) of the "newbie armor" quests. I had some trouble rececntly trying to get a quest that I could really sink my teeth into (collect this and combine it with this in this kit) as far as a froglok (in Rathe Mtns) goes. If the newbie armor quests are available, they will probably need some looking into (especially if Frogloks are an available race from Day 1).

As far as money goes, I expect to see SO many fights over the green goblin camps in Butcherblock (4pp per blood or head from green goblins) that it may be best to stay away from there (unless you can do 50% damage in 1 spell). But if you are looking for money for tradeskilling, that is the ticket.

And I thought my days of getting trained in Unrest were over.

Will Veteran AAs be available? They were an anniversary unlock, not an expansion, iirc.
                          Uban the Wizard
                          Luclin (formerly of Stormhammer (formerly of Bristlebane))

Comment

beta???

maddoc posted on first page he is in charge of server and workiong on beta testing it. where can we signup too beta test it?? would be fun too get early start on trying this. yes before i get blasted about it i know i cant transfer from beta too live server but too refresh my memory of good old days would be nice. I have not been playing since orginal beta i joined just after velious came out so i remember some of stuff.

Comment

Progression Server

If the expansion areas are opened for everyone when any one player or group completes the requirements then the progression server will be like the live servers are within a week or two.

If the idea was to give new/old players a chance to relive the original (with the problems resolved) then each player should have to complete the requirements needed to unlock the next expansion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenephex

My post wasn't intended to be in the nature of a complaint - it was intended to be a celebration of a return to a time when we actually had to make decisions like this, and balance the various alternatives.

***Edit***

I'm just excited about the prospect of all of those things mattering once again.
                                Really none of these choices are still going to matter honestly. Yes you will have to choose a starting city, but once that is done. It will be time to gear up and make a run for it. A few hour time sink(to gear up) and then depending on luck and final destination another time sink to get there. My guess, Kethlin and Crushbone will be hopping along with Unrest, but outside of that it could be a free for all. The Karana's will be busy once again(those will be some painful runs vs. Griffons(and there cousins).

But the decision what to play wont be. If you use your knowledge of what is out there and will be out there its very easy from start to finish. Seeing's this is a tradeskill forum and you gave an example using Smithing, Ogre Shammy (or BoT) will work just as good as a Warrior and probally better honestly. Barbarian Shammy has the same advantages. What tradeskill will be the "best" is honestly hard to say. Baking and Brewing may be on the back burner until SoL is "unlocked", but I could be wrong, stat food is very useful. Jewel Craft may also be a good investment cause of the fact you can make resist and stat gear... all very useful up to SoL/PoP. Fletching also because of no Rangers using Endless Quiver AA. So tradeskills are up in the air until the server market becomes available and demand and supply take there roots.

What Race you should play will have very little effect with the knowledge of what we know will happen(well mabye a few less gnome warriors at the beginning). But everyone will head to the same basic zones for loot/xp. Class balance I assume will be "unbalanced" as casters/hybrids are chosen early over pure mellee for the ability to quickly travel and self buff. Tradeskills will be an "unknown" until as stated above "demand and supply take there roots".

Personally for me i'll be doing the Beastlord(if unlocked on day one {hoping so but not holding my breath}) otherwise i'll be doing a (shaman or chanty)/mage combo. Race isn't at all a big factor for me, its the classes available on day 1.

Using your knowledge of the game: The zones, quests, and drops... You will find that what classes are available on day one will be a bigger decicion maker than race.
                                What is all the fuss about? So I forgot to pick you up at work...I just gained a level !!! -Favorite last words as I sleep on the couch

Comment

Working...
                                X