X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about simple sweet stuff?
    Vanilla French Bread pudding:
    500g of French brioche (or replace by sweet white bread)
    One bottle of liquid vanilla (natural is better)
    Two eggs
    100g sugar
    1/2 liter of milk

Heat up milk until it boils gently
    Add half bottle of vanilla
    Add sugar
    Stir but don t let the mix boil again
    Mix the bread with the melange
    Add two egg yolks
    Mix again
    Add rest of vanilla
    Let rest for 1hour

Pre heat Oven at 250
    Oven at 300 for one hour

Voila!

Comment

Gyozas
      Gyozas originate from China and is a very popular dish across Japan. Other names for Gyozas are: Chinese Dumplings, Potstickers.

This type of food takes time to prepare, but is a wonderful snack to munch on during EQ, or any other time really.

There are 2 ways to prepare this dish. Fried and Steamed. I will explain how to cook it both ways.

Ingredients

1 - 2 lbs of fresh ground pork
      Small portion of fresh ginger root, shredded OR 2 TBS of fresh cut ginger. Try to avoid dried ginger, doesn't taste as well.
      Chinese Cabbage, chopped
      Bok Choy, chopped
      Leeks, chopped
      Real Sake or Cooking Sake (called Mirin)
      Soy Sauce
      1 - 2 packages of Chinese Dumpling skins (You may subsitute for Wonton Skins if you wish or cannot find dumpling skins. You will find the skins in the fresh veggies section of your gerocery store.)
      Tools for Fried: 1 large deep skillet, 1 pot of boiling water, canola oil (Not a lot.)
      Tools for Steamed: A Steamer, or a large wok and bamboo steamer set.

------
      Ingredients for Dipping Sauce (Optional)

Soy Sauce
      Rice Vinegar
      Hot Chili Oil

Mix together to your liking!

Prep time!

You want to aim for about 50% veggies to ground pork. After you have chopped up the leeks, cabbage and bok choy, you will need to use a cheese cloth OR towel and let the cloth/towel absorb the water from it. This will probably take about 20 minutes.

After you have tried out the leeks, cabbage and bok choy, grab a large non-metal bowl and mix together: Leeks, Cabbage, Bok Choy and Ground Pork. After you have mixed these together, add in the ginger. Mix in the ginger well. Add in about 2 TBPS of Sake and Soy each. Add more to taste if you like.

Now come the fun part! Give yourself a good place to sit, because this is the longest part of the whole recipe. This is where you put together the gyozas. Make sure you have a large working area. You will want the bowl of ingredients, the skins, a small bowl of water (doesn't matter if it's cold, warm or anything. Just not boiling. You'll hurt your fingers!), a place to assemble the gyoza and a safe place to put the finished assembly.

You can use a spoon/fork, but personally I use my bare hands. After I clean them thoroughly of course.

1. Place 1 skin flat.
      2. Grab a small glob of 'gyoza stuffing' (the stuff in the bowl you just prepared) into the middle of the dumpling skin.
      3. With a finger, place it in the small water bowl and wet the edge of the skin, all the way around.
      4. Fold the skin in half, and pinch in the middle.
      5. Keep 1 hand pinched in the center. Starting from the right side, push the side in and pinch the bottom edge closed.
      6. Fold the top edge in so it's pleated on both sides.

Repeat for the left side. You can do it left to right.. you could use gyoza crimpers, I don't care how ya do it, but this is the traditional way to fold a gyoza. If you use crimpers, or just flat out just pinch it all together without pleating, make sure the bottom of the gyoza is flat and able to stand up like a sun setting. This will make the frying/steaming MUCH easier.

Whew! You're done making all of those gyozas! Now comes the cooking! Oh no, you're thinking this will be a pain too huh? Nope. Just as easy as making the gyoza filling really.

Instructions for Frying

In the deep skillet, if it's already nonstick, place in the gyozas and set it to about medium heat. Make sure they are standing up correctly, like a setting sun. If it's not, add in a little oil so they do not stick to the bottom. Let them sit for about 2 minutes, so the bottoms are set.

Remember above I said a pot of boiling water? Well here we get to use it. Fill the pan to 3/4th height of the gyozas and cover. Set to high and let it cook for about 4 minutes. The gyozas should soak in the water. If there is excess water, drain it after you are done cooking this set. Turn the heat back down to medium, let it cook a little longer, uncovered. Add in a little oil between the gyozas. Repeat until all gyozas are cooked. Make sure to take one out once in a while and split it open to check to make sure it's cooking all the way if you are unsure. Adjust the cook time if it's not being cooked all the way through.

Instructions for Steaming

Electronic Steamer: Follow your manufacturers manual for operation.

Bamboo Steamer: Place your wok on the oven and set it to high. (or, if it's electronic, turn it on to highish setting). Add in the boiling water, to cover a good portion of the bottom. Load up the bamboo steamer with gyozas. I usually use a 3 or 4 layer bamboo steamer. Set it in the wok. It should not touch the bottom of the wok nor should the water be high enough to touch the bamboo steamer. Once everything is in place, cover and let it steam for a while. About 20 minutes I do believe. Chances are, if you have a bamboo steamer, you already know your usual steaming length. It varies a lot on the size of the wok and how big the bamboo steamer is, in my experience.

I hope you have enjoyed this recipe. While it is time and labor intensive, I find it very fun and tasty.

Comment

BBQ Beef Buns!

Here's something I tried recently. I hope it works as well as it did for me.

---
        Ingredients
        ---

1 Beef Roast, OR 4 to 6 Beef Rib Steaks Trimmed of fat, but not all of it. (NOT FROZEN)
        3 to 5 packages of Grand Biscuit dough (Or if you feel like being odd, you can use cinnamon rolls dough)
        2 or 3 bottles of your favorite BBQ sauce (or even your homemade stuff! MMM!)
        1/2 C water (or more as needed)
        1 C onions, chopped (Optional)
        1 - 2 TBS of Molasses
        1 - 2 TBS of Mustard (of your choice)
        -

Set the slow cooker to low, if you are going to use roast, it's best to do this over night. Or if you feel like cooking all day, slow cook for about 8 hours.
        Add in BBQ sauce, Molasses, Mustard, Water and Onions.
        You'll wanna slow cook for about 6 to 8 hours for Beef Rib Steaks as well.

Once it is all cooked, shred the roast with a fork (should be able to do that with the beef rib steaks too.. I made it with the steaks last time)

Once it's all prepared and out of the slow cooker juices, add in 1 to 2 bottles of your favorite BBQ sauce to the shreded beef, add in some more chopped onions if you wish. Stir well.

Open package of grand biscuits. IF YOU ARE USING CINNAMON ROLL DOUGH --- Please roll it into a ball first, then roll it out.
        With a rolling pin, roll out the biscuit dough one at a time. With a spoon, spoon in a glob of shredded BBQ and wrap it into a ball with the dough.

Repeat until all dough is used, may end up with left over BBQ, or might not.

Place on a cookie sheet, set to 350 and cook for about 20 minutes, or until buns are golden brown.

Tadah!~ Tasty! Can do this with Sloppy Joes as the filling, or ... well, anything you want honestly.

Comment

Short Recipe.

Good lord that's alot of scrolling.
          Okay, here's a recipe for chicken quesedillas for people who like to cook but don't like to read alot to do it.

Chicken Quesedillas.

Brown chicken in a skillet, I usually use preseasoned skinless grilled breasts, cut the chicken into thin strips.
          Take 2 large burrito sized tortillas spread the chicken evenly on half of each tortilla and cover it with shredded mexican cheese. If you're not sure what mexican cheese is... it's basically a preshredded mix of mexican cheeses, same thing you'd get if you went to a decent restauraunt and ordered quesedillas there. The next step is to fold each tortilla in half and cook on low until the tortillas are toasted and the cheese melts. If you like things spicy, put red cayenne pepper hotsauce over the chicken and cheese when you fold them over to melt. When each side is browned cut them into wedges, they usually fit like a small pizza on a plate. Finally just dump some salsa in the center and add sour cream to the top. It's not a complicated process, it's good slow cooked food that you can pretty much make while playing EQ.

Comment

GAZPACHO – a vegetable “soup” dish served cold for those warm summer days.

You will need 2 large bowls for separating ingredients. Bowl 1 will later be put into a food processor or blender; Bowl 2 will be your main serving dish.

5 Large Tomatoes, chopped (2/3 to bowl 1, 1/3 to bowl 2)

The following chopped and 1/3 to bowl 1, 2/3 to bowl 2
            2 Cucumbers
            2 Bell peppers
            1 Red Onion
            2 Cups corn kernels

The following all to Bowl 2
            2 Avocadoes, chopped
            1 can (2.25 oz) sliced Black Olives

The following all to bowl 1
            2 Jalapenos, seeded & chopped
            1 Cup fresh Cilantro, chopped
            2 cloves garlic, chopped
            2 Tbl Red wine vinegar
            2 Tbl. Lime Juice
            1 Tbl. Ground black pepper
            1 Tsp. Salt

Now with everything divided up, blend ingredients of bowl 1 until liquefied. Pour liquid into Bowl 2 and stir well. Chill in Refrigerator overnight so flavors can blend. Adjust the spices a bit the next day, add hot pepper sauce if you wish a bit more bite.

Comment

Chocolate Chip Pancakes (snack/dessert)

I was suffering from a chocolate craving when circumstances did not favor going to buy any. So I came up with this...

Starting with a pancake mix that called for 3/4 cup water to each cup of mix, I used:

Decadent Chocolate Pancakes

1 cup pancake mix

1/3 cup "Quick" oatmeal

4-5 tsp (rounded) cocoa (normal, not baking cocoa)

1/8 to 1/4 cup chocolate chips

1/8 tsp Allspice (optional)

Mix dry ingredients together then add

1 cup water

(If your pancake mix requires egg[s], add those with the water.)

Mix and cook as you would normally cook pancakes; maybe use a slightly lower heat to prevent singed chocolate chips.

I like serving them warm with butter/margarine, no syrup, and mint tea.

I've also tried two revisions that came out well:

Replace allspice with mint extract,

~ OR ~

Replace cocoa with brown sugar, and allspice with vanilla (gives more of a "chocolate chip cookie" flavor)
              Last edited by Eowenna Celerdain; 06-08-2005, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I vote there should be a database like EQtraders for this thread! You could put in whatever ingredient you have 'foraged' from your fridge and find a recipe you can use it in.

Comment

I have tried several of the recipes from this thread and have been amazed at the difference in cooking styles and difficulty. I have one that I use for quick and easy dinner.
                  Quicky Pizza:
                  1 can of biscuits ( the cheapies work very well)
                  1 jar of Pizza Quick Sauce
                  2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese divided
                  your favorite pizza toppings
                  Pam cooking spray (I use the garlic flavored kind)
                  9 X 13 casserole dish

Preheat oven to 375 F
                  Cut the biscuts into quarters (kitchen shears work well), spray the casserole dish with Pam. Place the quartered biscuit pieces in the casserole dish and top with the pizza sauce. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese and add your favorite toppings. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Place on the middle rack in the oven and bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until the chesse is slightly brown and a tooth pick inserted into the center does not come out with dough on it. Let cool about 5 minutes and enjoy.

Comment

Doomspark's Not-so-quick&dirty Bread

I have finally mastered the art of making good bread (according to my wife, who is my ultimate authority in all things culinary). As a public service, I am going to post my recipe here.

Ingredients:
                    1/2 cup Olive Oil
                    1/4 cup potato flakes
                    1/4 cup wheat flour
                    1/4 cup Splenda (can use sugar if you want)
                    1/4 cup dry milk
                    3 cups white flour
                    1 packet dry yeast
                    2 cups (more or less) water (warm, not hot)
                    1/2 tsp salt

Wash hands thoroughly before beginning. Also make sure you have a clean countertop.

In a large bowl, combine the wheat flour, potato flakes, Splenda, dry milk, salt, and white flour. Mix well.

Dissolve the yeast in about 1/3 cup of the warm water.

Add the dissolved yeast and olive oil to the flour mix, and give it a couple stirs with a heavy fork.

Add the remaining water and stir vigorously. If the dough is "sticky", add more flour a little at a time until it is smooth and elastic. It's better for it to be a little sticky than too dry.

Knead vigorously for 10-15 minutes. I usually knead it in the bowl for the first two or three minutes and then turn it out onto the countertop for the remaining time.

Turn dough into a lightly greased covered dish to rise for an hour.

After the first rising, knead lighly for about five minutes.

Shape dough as desired. I have done round loaves, regular loaves, and braided loaves. Cover with a clean cloth and let rise for another hour.

Preheat your oven to 350 F. I start the pre-heating during the second rising because my oven is cranky and takes a while to get hot.

Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and slather the top of the loaf with melted butter.

Return to oven (turning 180 degrees from initial position), and bake for another 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and turn out onto a wire rack (or clean cloth) to cool. If you're like me, cheat and cut the heels off and eat 'em while they're hot.
                    Doomspark DeathfireAristophanesAziron XeosBristlethorpe Fizzlebane
                    Cariadoc FrostvenomCorsyr GlanmilwrEmberarto Tailchaser Fivefingered Discount
                    Grimhand BarehandedHushfoot GwynblaiddMadrel MagiusRaum Ravenwalk
                    Stainless BannerTarkas JeddakTandaar AshkevronTickles Fishery
                    Tinder FlashfireTristaar ValmontVithaar AshkevronWanderblade Axegrinder
                    Yesterday Timebender Zendaar Tir'Astoroph Wguren Wolfbane

... all on The Rathe

Comment

Fettuccini Alfredo

Chicken Fettucini Alfredo

8 oz. Fettuccini Pasta
                      1/4 cup Unsweetened Butter
                      1/2 cup Heavy Cream
                      1 cup Shredded Parmesan
                      1/2 lb. Boneless Chicken Breast

1. Bake, broil, or grill the chicken until thoroughly cooked.
                      2. Bring water to boil in a 2-quart boiler saucepan. Add pasta to the water and lower heat to a simmer until cooked. Should only take around 15 minutes.
                      3. Melt the butter in a small to medium saucepan, but do not boil.
                      4. Add heavy cream and parmesan cheese and simmer, stirring frequently, until all the cheese is melted.
                      5. Drain the pasta and slice or cube the chicken. Pour the alfredo sauce over the chicken and pasta and serve.
                      6. Add garlic or pepper to taste (Be very careful when adding garlic or pepper as it is very easy to overpower the sauce).

Serves 2

Note: If you want to make a larger batch of sauce, keep the ingredients in the same proportions; 2x as much heavy cream as butter, and 4x as much parmesan as butter.

Comment

Vegetarian Sausage Rolls

Vegetarian Sausage Rolls

What you will need.

4-6 Sheets of Puff Pastry
                        1 Tin of Sanitarium 'Nutmeat'
                        3 Large Potatoes
                        1 Large Onion or 2 medium
                        1 Tablespoon of oil/butter or margarine
                        1 Egg (optional)
                        Poppy Seeds (optional)
                        1/2 Cup of grated cheese
                        1 teaspoon of dried mixed herbs
                        garlic salt and peper to taste

1) Peel and chop potatoes into pieces and place on stove to cook.

2) Finely dice onion.

3) Heat oil, add onion and herbs on a medium heat until onion is transparent.

4) Open the tin of nutmeat at both ends, and with a knife circle around until the nutmeat comes out. Finely grate into the large mixing bowl.

5) Mash the potaotes, allow to cool and add to the nutmeat.

6) Add in the fried onions, cheese and the garlic salt and peper to taste. (optional to add and egg here)

7) Let the mixture cool slightly then put the mixture in a piping bag

Defrost puff pastry. (square one). Cut pastry in half, and pipe down the centre of each half.

9) Moisten one side with water then Roll up each side, pinching together to make sure they are sealed.

10) Cut into sections if desired and bake on a greased flat baking tray at 180-200c (350f) until golden. If you like you can brush the top with milk and sprinkle poppy seeds on top.

Enjoy!
                        Mensei 88 Rogue (Gnome) Sal3, GM 300 in all base tradeskills +Tinkering & Poison Making (Melee Research 296 - getting there)
                        Menssia 75 Cleric (High Elf) Sal3, GM 300 in all base tradeskills (except Research)
                        (Terror Australis - 'The Rathe/Karana')

Comment

Thanks for sharing all of these. Some good stuff here

Comment

yummmmmmm

well ,i did some of these and they turned out right
                            the pork ribs where great
                            lvl 81 shammy ziksarz
                            test server
                            proud officer of shadow of dreams

Comment

Well the ol' ogre is cooking now, I hope you enjoy my recipes: http://home.mindspring.com/~zuklaak/
                              Zuklaak - 62 Shadow Knight

Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an axe

Comment

"Nutty Butter" protein shake
                                1 serving Vanilla protein powder (probably something like Syntha 6)
                                1 cup nonfat milk or Vanilla Almond milk or Coconut milk
                                ½ medium banana
                                ¼ cup coarsely chopped raw walnuts
                                1 Tbsp. all-natural peanut butter ( i tend to use 2 Tbsp but i'm addicted to peanutbutter.)

Blend to desired thickness, ice optional.
                                sigpic

Blog: http://JackedGamer.com
                                Streams: http://Twitch.tv/AmeJouten & http://hitbox.tv/amejouten

Comment

Working...
                                X