This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macaroni and Cheese Deluxe

Some RL people have been bugging me for this one, So I finally got around to updating it. anyhow, here it is.

Macaroni and Cheese Deluxe

16 oz. package elbow macaroni OR small shell pasta OR other small pasta product
    4 cups cream style cottage cheese, small curd – lowfat OK
    16 oz sour cream – lowfat OK
    3 eggs
    24 oz shredded cheddar cheese OR sharp cheddar cheese, divided into 16 oz and 8 oz

1 teaspoon salt OR 1 rounded teaspoon garlic salt
    ½ teaspoon paprika, plus extra for topping
    ½ teaspoon ground mustard seed
    ½ teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Grease a 3 - quart casserole dish (or larger), either using stick butter or margarine, or a nonstick cooking spray.

Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Rinse pasta and let drain again; set aside.

Beat eggs and spices in a large mixing bowl. Add the sour cream and cottage cheese, and stir until blended well. Add the 16 oz. cheddar cheese, and stir until blended. Add pasta, and stir until blended again.

Spoon mixture into greased casserole dish, and top with remaining cheddar cheese (8 oz). Top with additional paprika if desired.

Bake to an internal temperature of 160 degrees, usually around 30-45 minutes. Cheese will melt and the mixture will bubble around the edges. Starting temperature of casserole and shape of pan will affect cooking time.

For a milder dish, paprika may be omitted. For a spicier dish, cayenne pepper or chili powder may be substituted, but do not top with cayenne pepper or chili powder.

When making half a recipe, one egg is sufficient.

Louneita Stubbs
    Alterations by Martha and Paul Scheiblich

Comment

Sweet Tart Strawberry dip

Ok I've been in hiding for the past 9 months I've finaly crawled out of my hole long enough to toss out a very simple, and very tasty strawberry dip.

Ingredeants;
      1 small tub sour cream, 6 to 10 oz.
      Brown suger
      Fresh Strawberrys washed

how to;

Open sour cream mix in 1 to 3 rounded spoon fulls of the brownsuger depens on taste, should have a semi-sweet tart flavor too it.

dip strawberrys or any other fruit thats good for dipping with like apples and cherrys. And enjoy.
      Otaliema Athroniaeth 57th Wander of Tunare.
      Proud member of Praxium.
      GM Fletcher
      Master of the rest.
      GM Drunk. *burp*
      MTFBWY

Comment

Try my grandfathers site of weird recipes, look for Hamster Droppings i believe, that ones mine, got my pic on there
        http://www.bertc.com/recipes.htm#x

Yorkshire Terrier Pudding
        1 md Yorkshire Terrier
        48 pk Jell-O vanilla instant
        -pudding
        3 ga Milk

Blend ingredients on high until lumps are gone. Preheat oven (or exhaust manifold) to 451 F. Place pudding contents into little bread-tin type things. Cook until mix doesn't stick to a toothpick

Deep **** Cookies
        ---------------------------CHOCOLATE INGREDIENTS------------
        1/2 c Honey
        2/3 c (1 and 1/3 stick) butter, margarine, or lard
        1 Egg
        1 ts Vanilla or peppermint extract
        2 c Whole wheat flour
        1/3 c Cocoa powder
        Grape-nuts(tm) cereal

--------------------------GINGERBREAD INGREDIENTS----------
        1/4 c Honey
        1/4 c Molasses
        2/3 Cup(1 and 1/3 stick) butter or margarine, or lard
        1 Egg
        2 And 1/3 cups whole wheat
        -flour
        Spices-ginger, cinnamon, cloves to taste(maybe 1/2 tsp each)
        Grape-nuts(tm) cereal

----------------------------------MIX-INS------------------
        Coconut tapeworms)
        Chocolate chips
        Butterscotch chips
        Peanut butter chips
        Cooked spaghetti or ramen noodles roundworms)
        Corn
        Peanuts
        M&ms

Last warning-many of you may not want to read this! this is the recipe for little gator's famous "Deep **** Cookies"

There are two flavors-chocolate (dark brown), and gingerbread light brown)

I seldom measure carefully so amounts may need adjustment, especially on flavoring. The cookies are dense and not very sweet, this is necesssary so that they will keep their shape during baking. If you use white flour or sugar they may be tastier but they won't look like ****.

To make:
        Microwave the honey till it bubbles about 1 minute). Add the butter, I've been told using lard makes for a more realistic texture and softer cookie) and the molasses, if any. Add the egg, mix well, then mix in all the other stuff. Add mix-ins of your choice to some or all of the batter.

Chill 1 hour in the freezer or several hours in the fridge. Roll dough logs of random length and the diameter of cat poops. Roll logs in grape-nuts and bake at 350 degrees till done maybe 10 to 15 minutes but with my flaky oven you never know). Note: someone with a reliable oven says it's closer to 20 minutes for him. thanks Paul!)

Serve in a disposable cat litter box on a bed of grape nuts, with a cat litter scoop. I hear you get lovely effects by decorating the box and scoop with melted chocolate or pudding. I imagine brown sugar might work as a substitute for the new clumping litters, but I haven't tried it. I've been told that mixing brown sugar with the grapenuts "sweetens up the cookie a bit while still looking truly hideous."

This recipe worked especially well at the Halloween party where the table was already decorated with plastic flies.
        ~Lola

Comment

Simple Mojo

First you ask, what is "mojo"? Isn't that form Austin Powers?

Mojo is a latin dip, mainly for yucca (like a potato, but more starchy). It is a garlic based dip, which has many more uses (Mojo chicken, dipping bread in Mojo etc..).

It's very good and rather unhealthy, but easy to make.

You'll need:

1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
          1 tablespoon of lemon juice (fresh is best!)
          2-4 garlic cloves

Peel and mince up the garlic cloves, then throw all the ingredients into the mixing bowl.

It's best to use a submersion mixer (like this one on Amazon.com: http://tinyurl.com/39glk but I got mine at Target for $20). Blend the ingredients on high until the garlic is minsed into a coarse powder, and the lemon juice and oil are completely mixed.

Chill at least 30 minutes and it's best to use it within a few days.
          Draggar De'Vir
          92 Assassin - Povar

Xzorsh
          57 Druid of Tunare - Povar
          47 Druid of Tunare - Lockjaw

Hark! Who is that, prowling along the fields! It is Draggar De'VIr, hands clutching two hardened pitas! He cries gutterally: "In the name of Thor the Mighty, I hereby void your warranty, and send you back to God!!!"

"No one can predict the future, so we all should eat our desserts first!" - Gaye from 'The Maelstorm's Eye" (Cloakmaster's Cycle book 3)

Comment

Raspberry Glaze, Flame, and Sacher Torte

OK this is a better place for the recipes that I was posting than primal scream.

I'll edit in the other two recipes when I get a chance but here is the raspberry glaze "recipe" - it is one of those make it the way you feel like it recipes, and can be used as a topping, ingredient, or filling.

I usually take about 2 quarts of raspberries (fresh or frozen) and macerate them a bit with a little honey (to taste) and start it simmering to get the juice flowing. The next part is awful (and if anyone has hints on a better way please share) - take the juice and pulp and force it through a sieve to get the seeds out. It takes a long time and I alternate between smushing the pulp with a spoon and smacking the edge of the sieve to use a bit of momentum to get the juice out. Be careful or you will wind up with red sticky goo everywhere - licking spoons is fun, licking the wall doesn't seem appealing. Once you give up on getting anymore juice out (and don't eat the pulp with the seeds left behind, it smells good but is rather unpalatable) reduce the juice with a lower simmer to about 1/3 the original volume. You can add small amounts of liquer while it cools - framboise eau de vie intensifies the raspeberryness, cointreau or grand marnier are nice accents, vanilla actually works well, and believe it or not, rosewater in small amounts goes great with raspberries. (Too much rosewater and you won't taste them though.) Let it cool and save part for the truffle cake and part for the glaze. I'll add that when I get home since I don't have the recipe memorized.

You can use the raspberry glaze to make a chocolate glaze but sometimes it doesn't work. Melt about 12 ounces of a good dark or bittersweet chocolate and about a teaspoon of butter. Add about half a cup of the glaze to the melted chocolate and mix it in gently but quickly. Some of the sugar will begin to crystallize and the chocolate will start to harden so be ready to use it right away (I use it as the glaze for Sacher Tortes). A little bit of espresso can intensify it but also speeds up how fast it hardens. And it doesn't always work - sometimes the glaze won't set, other times it goes too fast. I think it has to do with the amount of residual water but I don't have a good way to control it.

More when I get home....

OK here is the truffle cake:
            1) preheat oven to 425F
            2) prepare a 9-10" springform by putting a piece of aluminum foil on the bottom large enough to wrap around the sides of the pan to keep it water tight. (I hope that is clear - I take the bottom and lay a piece of aluminum foil on it and sort of wrap it around, then I put the ring on and bend the aluminum foil up around the sides) - smear it with a light coating of butter and then dust it with cocoa to keep things from sticking
            3) melt 1 pound of bittersweet or dark chocolate and 1 cup of unsalted butter in a double boiler, you want it to melt but just barely
            4) in another double boiler (or bowl over simmering water) warm 6 large eggs until warm to the touch (about 100-105F) don't make scrambled eggs!!! take off the heat and whisk with 1/4 cup sugar until it is tripled in volume and cool
            5) mix 2/3 cup of the raspberry glaze into the chocolate
            6) fold half off the eggs into the chocolate to lighten it, and then gently fold everything together with a whisk and/or a rubber spatula until just barely combined - no streaks of egg but not so much that the foam collapses
            6) pour into the springform and place into a larger pan with about an inch of very hot water (this is why you needed the aluminum foil - at least my springforms leak)
            7) bake for 5 minutes and then place a buttered piece of aluminum foil over the pan (loosely) and bake for another 10-15 minutes (it will look molten but it is fully cooked and will solidify when it cools)
            8) let cool on a rack for 45 minutes
            9) gently pour 1/2 to 1 cup of the raspberry glaze onto the cooled cake (you can wait to do that after the next step, you can heat the a bit to make it flow easier)
            10) cover and refrigerate for 3 hours until it is very firm
            11) share and enjoy - it is super rich, melts in your mouth, and is really good

I think the original recipe is from Rose Berenbaum (chocolate flame) and is great for folks who are gluten intolerant. You can also see why it won't travel well, although I guess it could be packed into a container and swirled with the glaze and devoured with a spoon.

I need to find the recipe I use for Sacher Torte, and will post it soon.
            Last edited by Froni Thunderpaws; 04-29-2004, 08:26 PM.
            Distracted Druid Storm Warden of JinXed on Vazaelle

(see that Moderator tag - well that is for the Vazaelle marketplace, my posts and opinions should not be considered as anything but my own and not reflect poorly on the folks doing all the hard stuff here. )

Comment

Yes!!

Originally posted by Froni Thunderpaws
              I think the original recipe is from Rose Berenbaum
              I have her "Pie and Pastry Bible" -- I knew that glaze sounded familar... It's a lot of work, but well worth the effort! I am a very amature cook irl, but I've managed to make a darn good raspberry danish - from scratch - thanks to that lady

*cheers Froni*
              Journey(wo)man Artisan Kentarre 56 Wood Elven Ranger
              Journey(wo)man Tinkerer Nurkina 30 Gnomish Wizard
              <Eternal Journey>

Comment

Garlic Desserts?

Wow, I've been on EQ traders for quite some time now, but have never been to this forum. First thread I clicked on is write up my alley

I'm going to a pot luck next weekend and need to bring a dessert containing GARLIC... The only real recipe I have found so far is Garlic Ice Cream. I make ice cream all the time for this shindig and really don't want to again. Does anyone know of another?!? I thought about creating one myself (lemon & roasted garlic tart, anyone?), but would prefer not to bring my friend's down to lab rat level. I want something that actually tastes good.

Any suggestions??
                Asil Baasil
                Half-elf Warrior

Rambho Wonka
                Halfling Druid

Zebuxoruk server

Comment

garlic dessert - it might work

Hmm...

There is a German/Austrian/Swiss item called Zwiebelkucken (Onion Cake) but is a bit more like a quiche than a dessert. If you use something like elephant garlic that is really mild you may be able to make one that isn't overpowering.

I did find this (maybe the treatment of the garlic will inspire you to think of another recipe, and it seems like a dark chocolate would suit the recipe better):

Sweet garlic Wellington with strawberries, hazelnuts and Godiva chocolate served with vanilla bean ice cream and balsamic reduction

8 cloves of garlic, peeled

6 cups of milk

1/2 cup brown sugar

6 to 8 whole strawberries

6 ounces roasted hazelnuts

1/2 cup brown sugar

6 to 8 sheets phyllo dough

4 ounces ( 1/2 cup) melted butter

6 ounces Godiva semi-sweet chocolate, crumbled

For the balsamic glaze:

16 ounces balsamic vinegar

3 ounces brown sugar

4 tablespoons honey

vegetable oil for frying

For serving:

2 scoops of vanilla bean ice cream

Render garlic cloves by boiling three times (Approximately 10 minutes each time at low/medium heat) using milk and brown sugar until tender as follows: Place garlic, brown sugar and 2 cups of milk in pan. Bring to a slow boil.

Add 2 more cups of milk; bring to second boil. Add final 2 cups of milk and bring to third boil. Strain the garlic and save the milk. Place the tender garlic aside.

Place the milk in the refrigerator to chill until it ready for use. Clean and halve strawberries. Set aside.

Place hazelnuts on a cookie sheet and place in the oven at 300°; bake until nuts are golden brown. (Approximately 8 minutes.) Set aside.

Prepare balsamic glaze by placing the vinegar, 3 ounces brown sugar and 2 ounces honey together in a pan and place over low heat for 25 to 30 minutes. A creamy consistency should result. Remove from heat and cool.

Place phyllo dough flat and spray or brush each layer with melted butter, stacking as you go.

Stuff the phyllo dough with the cooked garlic and prepared strawberries; sprinkle hazelnut and the crumbled Godiva chocolate. Roll up the phyllo dough like a spring roll, tucking in ends.

Heat a deep pan or deep fryer containing vegetable oil or peanut oil (the oil should reach 350°). Place the phyllo roll in the oil for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and drain briefly.

To serve, cut the Garlic Wellington in diagonal pieces and place it over the chilled cream (milk residue) along with the vanilla ice cream. Drizzle the plate with balsamic glaze.

Makes 2 servings.

(see that Moderator tag - well that is for the Vazaelle marketplace, my posts and opinions should not be considered as anything but my own and not reflect poorly on the folks doing all the hard stuff here. )

Comment

Wow, thanks so much. It sounds like a lot of work. But I think it may be worth it. I'll let you know how it turns out!
                    Asil Baasil
                    Half-elf Warrior

Rambho Wonka
                    Halfling Druid

Zebuxoruk server

Comment

I was looking through the recipe again and it may be a bit easier if you make it baklava style - instead of deep frying the packets just layer everything up in a pan. (I hate deep frying stuff like that - mine generally explode or unfold and make a huge mess.)

Do some web searches on garlic festival recipes to see if you find something you like better, that recipe looks tasty but I would likely make it without the garlic.

Comment

re: Garlic dessert

Thank you Frondi /cheer! I searched for garlic dessert recipes but never thought to search for festivals. I will keep that in mind for next time.

I'm not a big phyllo fan, so I kept it traditional to a wellington and used puff pastry. It was a hit at the party and no one else brought a dessert (Big surprise lol). In case anyone else wants to make it, here's what I did. I baked it at 350 degrees for about 35 min. and brushed water on and sprinkled sugar on top. I didn't melt the chocolate but just broke it into pieces and stuck it inside. I used frozen puff pastry dough which is much easier than attempting to make it from scratch.

I tried it first because I was so curious and you could taste the garlic. But after we ate the entire meal, and the garlic taste was gone. Everyone talked liked it! The custard sauce was good with the little hint of garlic. I made it thicker by tempering 2 egg yolks and adding them in.
                        Asil Baasil
                        Half-elf Warrior

Rambho Wonka
                        Halfling Druid

Zebuxoruk server

Comment

Fried Egg bread

This recipe is hard to set excat number of ingrediants since it depends on personal taste and how thick you cut your bread

You will need:
                          Egg
                          Bread

first you start warming up your frying pan, butter isnt needed.
                          You then start whipping some eggs in a bole *NOTICE* the bole must be large enough for your bread to fit in it. At normal thickness 1 egg pr pice of bread should suffice.

You dip the bread in the eggs making sure the bread is soaked in the eggmix.
                          Then you put em on your frying pan.

a tip is that when the first side is done you turn it over then u ut a slice of pineapple on teh finsihed sice and cover it in cheese. by the time the other side is done the cheese should have melted.

adding spices to the egg mix is alo a posibility.
                          Note: Due to a hand injury caused by a friend throwing a broken scissor into my hand my typing = crap. So dotn be so critical.

Kinakin:

Comment

Matzo Brie and Chicken Cordon Bleu Sauce - My Favorites

Matzo Brie
                            1/2 cup Margarine
                            2-4 sheets of Passover Matzos
                            1-2 Eggs
                            1/4 cup Milk
                            Salt, to taste

Break the Matzos into medium to small pieces and soak with water. Let drain. Repeat until soft.
                            Melt Margarine in frying pan over medium high heat. Add Matzos. Make sure Matzos is covered and absorbs the melted Margarine.
                            Add Salt, to taste.
                            Beat Eggs and Milk together, until blended. Add to frying Matzos.
                            Mix until Egg is completely cooked.
                            Add Salt to taste.
                            Enjoy.
                            Makes 2-4 servings.

Chicken Cordon Bleu Sauce
                            1/2 Pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, Chopped
                            1/4 pound Diced Ham
                            1/4 pound Diced Swiss Cheese
                            2 cans Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
                            1/8 - 1/4 cup White Wine
                            Rice, as much as you want

Begin to cook the rice in handy-dandy rice cooker. 3-4 servings should be enough.
                            Put enough cooking oil in frying pan to just cover the bottom. Over medium high heat, add Chicken.
                            When Chicken is mostly cooked through, add Ham, Cream of Chicken Soup, and white wine in any order you'd like.
                            Simmer until reduced.
                            Once Rice is ready to serve, Add cheese, mix in until it becomes part of the sauce.
                            Serve Sauce over rice.
                            Enjoy.
                            Makes 6 servings.
                            LadyAnnaAnna
                            14th Cleric Maelin Starpyre
                            Leader of Tradeskills Union
                            Aspiring TradeGoddess - Skills still not worth mention

Comment

Lemon Ice Box Pie

This is one of my family favorites:

Ingredients:

1 small carton of whipping cream (look near the liquid coffee creamer & milk)
                              3-4 large lemons
                              1 small can of condensed milk
                              1 per-made graham cracker crust (or make your own...if you make your own,
                              ensure that it has cooled prior to filling)

Equipment:

juice squeezer
                              small bowl or mixing cup
                              egg beaters (i like electric)
                              large bowl
                              soft rubber spatula

Instructions:

1. Juice the lemons, set aside.

2. Beat the whipping cream until peaks form.

3. Fold in the condensed milk.

4. Add the lemon juice slowly to taste (I like it tart).

5. Thouroughly mix all ingredients.

6. Pour into graham cracker crust & refrigerate until firm.

Fast, easy, and folks will be impressed LOL.
                              Last edited by Megz; 08-13-2004, 06:30 PM.

Comment

EASY Crockpot Pot Roast and Gravy

I got this recipe from the receptionist at my chiropractor's office. She says her husband loves it and it was a big hit at my house as well. I was surprised how easy and how tasty it was!

Crockpot Pot Roast and Gravy

1 pot roast (around 2 lbs)
                                1 can cream of mushroom soup

Put ingredients into crockpot. Do not dilute the soup. Cook on low for 6 hours. Flake pot roast with fork. Season with salt and black pepper to taste (shouldn't need much salt). Serve with rice.

4 large servings.

Comment

Working...
                                X