TInkering Tradeskill Guide submission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TInkering Tradeskill Guide submission

Hey, I noticed the tradeskill guides are crazy out of date, if there is interest I will write new ones. I have composed a tinkering guide to start. I welcome any suggestions or modifications.

Phinella’s Guide to Tinkering. Rain of Fear ed.

Tinkering was the last of the tradeskills I completed. This turned out to be a very good idea, because it is the most expensive and time consuming; tradeskilling in general has become much easier, (even fletching, which was difficult pre-RoF for those who were not wood elves or followers of Karana.) Tinkering did not really follow the other tradeskills into the "new era" where just killing level appropriate mobs will net you tradeskill items for almost anything. Instead, it remained frustrating and expensive, though keep in mind it is much simpler than it used to be. Classic tinkering was particularly torturous. So appreciate what you have. Tinkering today still requires a lot of farming and a great deal of platinum. Pay attention to the cost of the ingredients for the listed combines, I have tried to make them as easy to farm and as cheap as possible, but that really doesn't say much. Also, you will benefit most from this guide if you read it at least once in its entirety before starting to learn the skill.

In the process of learning any tradeskill, it is advised you do the trophy quest from the NPCs in West Freeport. They are to the left of the gate if you are facing it, in the field outside the city. Do this as soon as possible, and always keep your trophy equipped. I will be discussing the best way to skill that up as well. I assume you have mastery of tinkering in this guide and the maximum level of salvage. This requires level 85 (for salvage,) and a quest from Ak'anon, (for mastery.) The mastery quest NPC is the one that sells tinkering supplies, in fact he sells all the supplies you need to make the stalking probe you have to make for the quest, (that's the entire quest.) When you give this to him, he will give you three books. They cost 3, 6, and 9 aas to scribe consecutively. Somehow these aas count towards your total aas, but not the total spent. This is the only way to get mastery, it is not an aa gnomes start with.

All gnomes start with a 75 tinkering, and as all tinkers are gnomes, you can generally skip to that point immediately. If your character has lower than a 50 in tinkering for whatever reason, visit Crescent Reach* and talk to the tinkering tradeskill gnome behind the bank. This should raise your skill to a bit above 50. You can use this guide from there.

* Alternately, you can do the tinkering tasks in Abysmal Sea, this will give you the ability to process raw dark matter and raw infused dark matter, but it takes many, many more combines to complete the quest than in Crescent Reach, where you can combine until your skill is up and move on for the most part. Dark matter and infused dark matter are important for various items, but you can also just turn the raw forms into the appropriate NPCs for less than if you had processed it yourself - 2 from the npc, versus 3 if you did the quests and have done the combine enough times in the past. Look up Gates of DIscord TInkering Freebie on eqtraders.com for more info on these quests.

Before I forget, most things you will tinker do not stack, and have horrible, if any, resale value. A lot of times you are just better off destroying the items as you go.

low 50s to 75 - standard bow cam, all purchased components

75 to 95 - spyglass. This requires you to make collapsible fishing poles. All purchased components.

95 to 102 - stalking probe. This requires you to make firewater, you'll be making that quite a lot. All purchased components.

102 to 122 - powered gloves. All purchased components.

122 to 135 - tinkered catapults. Save as many of these as you can, you will need them. This is a frustrating step because you need a 148 trivial crafted bow to make it, (shaped ashwood recurve bow (hemp).) I suggest skilling up fletching to the appropriate skill and making them yourself. All of the components besides the bow can be purchased, and the bow is crafted from purchased components, as well.

135 to 162 - Advanced propulsion unit. Now the farming begins. Learn to enjoy Plane of Innovation, where the saltpeter and coiled springs can be found. This will be your new home. Save the pinions, steel ball bearings, and other tinkering tradeskill items you get there, they will be useful to you later, and you want to minimize your farming time. (I became very burnt out on farming, especially in Plane of Innovation by the time I was finished, but I did almost reach 5k robots killed.) Once again, save as many of the advanced propulsion units as you can. You will need them.

162 to 187 - Happy Dragon . This uses the advanced propulsion unit, which, of course, uses the tinkered catapults. You can destroy the Happy Dragons if you like. This requires gnomish fireworks. That recipe makes four fireworks, you can inventory the first one and destroy the other three. Only the first one can be used in this recipe.

187 to 196 - Meteorological rocket (optional) You can keep going with the advanced propulsion units and make these to raise your skill a bit higher. I skipped these, partly because I was getting impatient.

196 to 208 - innovative bow cam. The ingredients are farmed from Plane of Innovation, but the clockwork grease is -foraged- there. However, it can also drop in the Mechamatic Guardian, Fortress Mechanotus, and related zones. In Dragonscale Hills is a Cannon to Fortress Mechanotus. One of the NPCs next to it will give you a "mission" that simply lets you enter the Mechamatic Guardian if you say "head into" to him. I personally prefer the Mechamatic Guardian to Fortress Mechanotus. Possibly because there are more robots to kill and you can respawn the zone at will. Save any tradeskill items you get from these places, except the mechanotablets, (unless you intend to get into high end research.) You will need to make a small grease jar to put the clockwork grease in. This requires pottery at a trivial of 31. Just do the Crescent Reach quests to get as high as it will take you in pottery and this will be easy.

208 to 220 - Geerlok modules. Pick an item you want to farm from the listed ingredients for each one and focus on that. I chose the geerlok automated hammer module because I had a great deal of acrylia lying around already. Everything else is purchased.

*At this point, or sooner, depending on how fast you skill up and your supply of platinum, you should be buying large quantities of miragestones, dream dust, bonded loam, and rhenium ore. If you are skilling up a trophy, you will need at least 1k bonded loam and rhenium ore, possibly more. Try not to think about what this means the future combines cost in total, especially since one of the combines will also require a platinum bar.

220 to 282 - Molten metal bow cam, e'cian ice bow cam, wind metal bow cam, or planar steel bow cam, (personal preference.) this one is a much larger jump than previously. These require bricks of ore from PoP. You have to fashion the bolts and gears using blacksmithing with a trivial of 102, (both are made from one combine.) Fortunately, this is not very high, but I advise going at least a bit higher to make for more successful combines.

282 to 288 - Crab cracker (optional.) Honestly, you are probably not going to get enough knuckle joints, even in all your farming of springs, to make enough of these for 6 skill ups at this level. It's possible, but unlikely. Knuckle joints drop uncommonly in Plane of Innovation. Just do as many combines as you can to skill up, and then move to the next step.

288 to 295 - Mirage goggles. If you didn't think tinkering was expensive before, start adding up what you spent on miragestones from the bazaar, (or how much time it will take you to farm as many as you need!) and the platinum bars you will need to use. You will also be using the dream dust on these. Altogether, this is a very expensive, pretty much unmovable, novelty item. This has no resale value. To make the feymetal bars for this (which are what require the dream dust and platinum bars,) you will need to skill jewelcrafting up to at least 100. I suggest going higher if you don't want to lose your investment, and consider jewelcrafting mastery.

295 to 300 -Wok (optional.) Clockwork carapaces drop even less than knuckle joints, so chances are you aren't going to be fully skilling up to 300 or even putting a dent in your trophy by making woks. Either way, you'll have to farm Plane of Innovation for the carapaces. Just make as many combines as you can from what you have saved up farming and move on.

295+ - Sacred chest symbol of the skeptic, veeshan, etc (personal preference.) To do this, you have to do a quest for every 200 combines. It involves killing Lichtors of the Heart is Sanctus Seru, (which is easy and there are generally enough up,) and chetari warriors in Dragon Necropolis. The warriors spawn randomly and everywhere in the chetari area and there generally aren't that many of them up. This part of the quest is torturous. It takes 9 successful combines to move a rank 6 trophy 1% towards rank 7. This means you need to quest a minimum of 5 times to get enough patterns, (you are able to make 200 chest symbol patterns per book.) This requires 1 bonded loam and 1 rhenium ore per combine. I hope you were saving up. On my server, rhenium ore was easy to find, but I had to regularly buy bonded loam long before I got to this point to have enough. Coincidentally, rhenium ore and bonded loam happen to drop in Dragon Necropolis. It will, however, take you a very, very large amount of time to farm up enough loam, since it is a rather uncommon drop. To get the quest for the symbols, do cntrl+f in Ak'anon and look for Artisan Vidi Cogsworthy. Unless you are intimately familiar with his location, you will need to use find to locate him. The path to him is fairly convoluted.

Now that you have achieved 300 in tinkering and a max rank trophy, I assume you are probably ready to start making ambleshift's opal automated amalgamators to sell and make nice chunks of plat, (especially with how much you've spent.) Not so fast! This item requires a number of other tradeskills, as well, including blacksmithing, fletching, tailoring, brewing, and possibly others, (I was a master artisan by this time so I didn't have to skill anything up, and hence I might have missed a skill or two.) Most of the subcombines are not tinkering. However, you will be able to make some of the strangest items tradeskilling can produce, and you'll have mastered the skill, which is really the point of all tradeskilling, right?

My tinker, skill 300 and working to max the trophy, came upon a young gnome, seeking beginning tinkering advice. Through this source, I was reminded of the following facts. (1) Gnomes are born with tinkering skill of 50, so it is not worthwhile to do the tinkering training in Crescent Reach. (2) Gnomes must be level 16 to raise skill above 50. Having seen the trainee process successfully a number of non-trivial combines successfully with no skill-up, I found a note posted by another player on Allakhazam stating the level 16 information. I hope that is correct. It is unconfirmed at this point.

Comment

I'm pretty sure your information is correct Paloverde - start with a skill of 50 and cannot raise it until 16.
      Aanuvane Bristlecone - Druid - Povar via Quellious via Rodcet Nife
      AKA Muertenie, Melodee, Orelinde, Nounie, Gnomess, Cininea Ashryn, Mairede or a host of additional alts. Maybe also be found on Rabon, Kynsh or Atracker.

Comment

Thank you both for the update, I was iffy on the skill, but that clarifies it for me. What do you think of the combines? Anything cheaper and/or with less farming? I am kind of hoping this gets noticed when it is perfected and put up, if not I probably don't need to write more, I have just heard a lot of people complain that the guides are out of date, and I worked my skills up recently enough to know the best way to do it, or the way I did it at least. Tinkering was really expensive and farm heavy for me, I did a lot of research to figure out what to make, but I'm not 100% certain I took the best possible path.

Comment

Boosting high end skill is challenging. The cultural armor is the only path I see at present. I had another alt craft the templates for smithing skill. Most of them are still in parcel delivery while we gather enough loam to complete the armor. On the bright side we are about 75 percent done... We chose Cobalt Chain Bracer Template for the opportunity to skill in smithing at a high level. That goes with Soluble Loam to make Elaborate Servolinked Armband, trivial 355. In retrospect we wonder if we should have chosen that AND Elegant Servolinked Armband at trivial 435, giving us the option to pick up both Soluble Loam and Porous Loam. The gap where that missing Exalted armor would be is a serious impediment for us.
          Last edited by Paloverde; 04-14-2013, 06:20 AM.

Comment

It wasn't cheap - but back in the day I maxed my tinkering and my research together with Glowing Energeiac Rods. The Silver conduit small core and the silver conduit got me the tinkering combines and the rod itself got me the research combine. The successes sold back nicely though and I managed to farm/vendor dive all the Sunshard Ore because I'm a digital hoarder.
            Aanuvane Bristlecone - Druid - Povar via Quellious via Rodcet Nife
            AKA Muertenie, Melodee, Orelinde, Nounie, Gnomess, Cininea Ashryn, Mairede or a host of additional alts. Maybe also be found on Rabon, Kynsh or Atracker.

Comment

Originally posted by Paloverde View Post
              Boosting high end skill is challenging. The cultural armor is the only path I see at present. I had another alt craft the templates for smithing skill. Most of them are still in parcel delivery while we gather enough loam to complete the armor. On the bright side we are about 75 percent done... We chose Cobalt Chain Bracer Template for the opportunity to skill in smithing at a high level. That goes with Soluble Loam to make Elaborate Servolinked Armband, trivial 355. In retrospect we wonder if we should have chosen that AND Elegant Servolinked Armband at trivial 435, giving us the option to pick up both Soluble Loam and Porous Loam. The gap where that missing Exalted armor would be is a serious impediment for us.
              I think the armor would actually be more expensive, plus it requires smithing for the templates, which I didn't want to assume the tinker had. You still have to buy loam and ore that way, and the miragestone/dream dust/platinum bar cost actually comes out to cheaper. Unless you farm it all, but farming becomes a problem with loam, and my issue with further farming is that the guide, and tinkering in general, is very farm heavy.

And yea I looked at the conduit stuff when I was skilling up. God it gets expensive, but I wonder if that would be cheaper than what I ultimately spent for the mirage goggles. I'll do some math when I get into town hehe.

Comment

The rods are good if you are working research at the same time, but your research skill would have to already be decently high to combine with any amount of success. Also, the rods result in a loss per success of 159.2pp. Since you use 2 conduits per core (and ultimately per rod), that works out to 79.6pp loss per Sunshard Ore and .5 skillup chance per ore (1.5 if skill is below 291). If you aren't doing research (or are not at a level to take advantage), then the rods option, in my opinion, is not a very good one. Personally I think the Fitted Energeiac Leather Wristguard is a better option. The overall loss is 82.7pp per Sunshard Ore and 2 skillup chances per ore (3 if skill is below 291). A second option would be the Silver Conduit Cap whose overall loss is only 49.4pp per Sunshard Ore and 1 skillup chance per ore (2 if skill is below 290).

Since there is no cheap option, and you are going to have to farm (the world and the bazaar) for components anyway, I would work with the more common materials (Sunshard Pebbles and Copper Conduit and Sunshard Ore and Silver Conduit). Copper Conduit is trivial at 210, and maxes at 250. However, the 250 trivial items use 3 conduits which significantly lowers the efficiency.

The bow cams are a good option to fill in as those ores are really easy to farm. You need tons of grease and some potter skill though. I am not much on the Cultural Symbol path. Between the rarity and multiple farmed items coupled with the constant need to redo the pattern quest, it just seems like an extreme amount of effort for the benefit.

Drazzminius already had a Tinkering guide in his tradeskill guide in the sticky in this forum. You didn't like his suggestions?
                Last edited by Jinaabu3169; 04-18-2013, 10:40 AM. Reason: Fixed math
                Jinaabi Vah Shir - Bristlebane
                Smithing 300 7/7
                Tailoring 300 7/7
                Fletching 300 7/7
                Pottery 300 6/7
                Baking 300 7/7
                Brewing 300 6/7
                Jewelry 300 6/7
                Dagnora Drakkin
                Poison Making 300 7/7

Comment

It sounds like the buried sea stuff is actually cheaper, since the loss on the symbols is massive if you don't farm everything. I'll modify the list accordingly. I wrote this to make an actual walk through, since the website itself has no up to date walkthroughs that I could see. Not sure if maybe those aren't being updated anymore?

Comment

In this forum there is a sticky post titled "Complete Tradeskill Guide 6.1 (Serverwide Drop Edition) / Rev Apr 2009 ". The Tinkering guide in it is about as up to date as you can get. There really isn't anything better from the last few expansions to warrant any updates to it.

The only recent thing that looks interesting as far as skilling up is Tick Tock Sticky Bomb triv 335. It has 4 ingredients. It has no resell worth to NPC merchants, but might be bazaar sellable. costs about 35pp to make (not including the price of the goo and the shard if you don't farm them).

I am a big fan of simplicity, so what I did was follow your list to 122 (Powered Gloves) then I went straight to Gearlock Hammers until 220. One 'shopping' trip to Acrylia caverns and you will get all the acrylia you will need. Then I did the Sunshard items whenever I acumulated enough for a good run.
                    Jinaabi Vah Shir - Bristlebane
                    Smithing 300 7/7
                    Tailoring 300 7/7
                    Fletching 300 7/7
                    Pottery 300 6/7
                    Baking 300 7/7
                    Brewing 300 6/7
                    Jewelry 300 6/7
                    Dagnora Drakkin
                    Poison Making 300 7/7

Comment

Working...