Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fan Faire June 2005 Write-up (Plus Tanker handout)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan Faire June 2005 Write-up (Plus Tanker handout)

About the success/fail formula:

It appears that the success/fail formulae posted by Ishwar (and available in the FAQ's on EQTraders) is indeed correct, including the underlying difficulty. Since it was first was published, a few new twists were introduced, including reduced fail rates on deeply trivial combines and mastery AA that can also reduce fail rates. Here is the detailed success/fail formula. I will be using Ishwar's notation for most of this.

First, the base chance to succeed is determined based on a "difficulty" factor -- the trivial we see in the game is derived from this number. The base chance to succeed is as we have known it:

Success* = Modified Skill + 50 - Difficulty

The modified skill takes into account skill-modifying items like geerloks or trophies, and is always rounded down. This is the number you see in the new UI when you have a geerlok or similar item equipped. Success* is capped at 0 and 100 at the low and high end, respectively.

Next, if you have a mastery AA, your reduction in the chance to fail is calculated as follows:

FailReduction = (100 - Success*) * Mastery modifier as a percent

Your Mastery modifier is 0 if you have no AA, 10% if you have one rank of the mastery AA, 25% for the second rank, and 50% for the third rank. This is added to your base success rate:

SuccessWithMastey = Success* + FailReduction

Next, your maximum chance to succeed is calculated. This acts as the upper cap for the SuccessWithMastery. The cap is 95% plus 1% for every 40 points that your skill is above the trivial. If you are 39 points over the trivial, you get no benefits. If you are 40 points over, the cap becomes 96%. 80 points is 97%, and so on, up to 200 points or more giving a 100% maximum chance to succeed. This only looks at your raw skill, not your skill as modified by a geerlok or other item. This is your Max Cap. Some recipes can override this cap with a minimum chance to fail. It is not known whether any recipes currently use this.

The minimum chance to succeed is 5%.

Your final chance to succeed is as follows:

5% <= SuccessWithMastey <= Max Cap

Interesting notes:

A person with zero skill can attempt any tradeskill combine in the game and have at least a 5% chance to succeed.

A person with zero skill and the appropriate crafting mastery 3 will have a 50% chance to succeed.

About the skillup formula:

(This is a direct copy of the handout Tanker passed out at the Fan Faire, with a few corrections of typos. Tanker refused to email me a copy of his document, so there is a risk of transcription errors.)

Background

In order to explain how the formula was changed in as simple a fashion as possible, it's necessary to describe the formula as it sat before the changes made this Spring. The tradeskill formula has 2 parts, or Passes. Every time a tradeskill is attempted that can possibly give you a skillup, i.e., is not trivial, etc.), the formulae are run, and the player must succeed both Passes in order to gain a skillup.

Old Formula, Pass 1

Pass 1 of the skillup formula is as follows. Note that the chance to pass is a value between 0 and 100.

%-chance to pass = ( (S * 10) / (Y * D) ) / 10.0

D = 1 if the tradeskill attempt was successful at making the primary result, 2 otherwise.
    Y = skillup difficulty of the current skill (for tradeskills, this is either 2, 3, or 4 currently). (Kyros note: see below for more on this factor.)
    S = Player stat used for this tradeskill. For most skills, it is the higher of your WIS or INT, minus 15. For Smithing, it's the higher of your WIS / INT / STR (no minus 15). For Fletching and Make Poison, it's the higher of your WIS / INT / DEX (no minus 15).

Some items of note about this formula

• Higher WIS / INT / Possible tertiary = easier Pass 1 success, up to a point.
    • Your chance to succeed at Pass 1 is up to twice as good on a successful recipe combine than on a failure.
    • Certain skills are "harder to skill up in" than others, in that they have a higher chance to succeed at Pass 1 (via a lower Y value), given the same S and D values. (Kyros note: I think Tanker meant "higher" Y values, since the higher Y gets, the harder it is to skill up.)
    Old Formula, Pass 2

Pass 2 of the skillup formula was as follows. Note again that the chance to pass is a value between 0 and 100:

%-chance to pass =
    For current raw skill <= 15, chance = 100

Otherwise, chance = (200 - K) / 2.0 (note the floating point divide, see glossary)
    K = current raw skill, capped at 5 and 190. 5 <= K <= 190 is always true. (Kyros note: Tanker did not include a glossary, but a floating point divide means you keep the decimal part of the result. An integer divide (where you divide by a whole number) discards the decimal part. This also applies to the division in the Pass 1 formula.)

Some items of note about this formula:

• Once a player's skill reached 190, the chance to succeed at Pass 2 sat at 5% forever.
    • From skill = 16 to skill = 190, the chance to succeed at Pass 2 moves linearly from 92% to 5%.
    The Change

In order to alleviate some concerns the designers had over perceived sharp decreases in skillup chance at around 160-190 skill, and the lack of change to that chance over 190 skill, the following change was made. Note that there was no indented change to Pass 1, as the change is meant to affect the player at different skill levels and across all tradeskills, not at different stat levels or per tradeskill. (Footnote: As you may know, there was a bug the first patch these changes were included which did change the Pass 1 chance of success. This bug was fixed in a subsequent patch.)

New Formula for Pass 2

The new formula for Pass 2 is as follows:

%-chance to succeed at Pass 2 =
    For raw skill <= 15, chance = 100

For 15 < raw skill <= 175, chance = (200 - K) / 2.0

Otherwise (raw skill > 175), chance = 12.5 - ( (10 / 125.0) * (raw skill - 175) )
    Some things to note about this new formula:

• There is no change to the formula unless your raw skill is > 175
    • At 175, your chance to succeed at Pass 2 falls linearly from 12.5% to 2.5% at 300.
    The Consequences

As stated in several posts online during the last few months, there were a few expected consequences of the formula change:
    • Skillup chance would no longer flatline at 190 skill, providing a more gradual decrease in skillup chance all the way through 300 skill.
    • Average Combines per Skillup (AC/S) would no longer dramatically increase in the middle of tradeskill progression (around 160-190). Instead, it would increase more gently all the way up to 300.
    • The Average number of combines necessary to skill up from 1 to 00 would decrease by about 15%.
    • The Average number of combines necessary to skill up from 250 to 300 would increase by about 20%.
    The following graphs explain these statements, keeping in mind that only Pass 2 of the skillup formula was changed. (Footnote: Yes, we already mentioned the bug.) If you want to take these numbers as your chance to skillup or your AC/S at your skill, then you'd better be sure you have a 100% chance of succeeding at Pass 1. These numbers are useful, though, in determining a relative change in the formula, as the change to Pass 2 has a direct effect on your total chance to skill up; so if your chance to succeed at Pass 2 went from 5% to 4%, then you should expect a 25% increase in your AC/S, no matter what your chances of succeeding in Pass 1 (5% = 20 AC/S, 4% = 25 AC/S, 25 is 25% more than 20). (Footnote: I am the King of run-on sentences (and footnotes).)

Skillup chance graph

The following graph displays the chances of succeeding at Pass 2 of the skillup formula, based on your current skill.

This chart shows that the chance to succeed at Pass 2 is unchanged at skills under 175.

This chart shows that the new gradual reduction in the chance to succeed at Pass 2 under the new formula at skills over 175. Note the new lower cap to the chance to succeed at 2.5%, and that the chance to succeed doesn't get down to old-formula-post-190 levels until skill hits 269 or so.

Now, one of the main points we got from tradeskiller feedback over the years is that you don't pay particular attention to the "chance to succeed" as a statistic in itself. You all seem much more interested in AC/S (Average Combines per Skillup), and it's on the following two graphs that you can see the dramatic changes to the AC/S progression using the new formula.

This graph again shows the fact that the formula did not change when skill is under 175. Note the assumption that Pass 1 chance is 100%; if your Pass 1 chance is 50%, double these values. This is why we refer to the changes as percentage changes to AC/S, since we can't tell what the actual change will be in AC/S without knowing your Pass 1 chance.

Here we finally get to the most important graph. Note that, under the Old Formula, the AC/S would increase from 5 at skill 160 to 20 at skill 190, then stay at 20 for the next 110 skill points. Removing this dramatic increase and stagnancy in the middle of the skill progression was a goal of the new formula. An interesting note about this graph is that you can take the area under the different lines from the left edge to a vertical line at whatever skill you're interested in and compute the "total number of combines it should take me to get to that skill (on average)". This was how we computed the 15% and 20% numbers stated above. Assuming a 100% chance of success on Pass 1 (which is unrealistic, but can be used to gauge relative change in the formula), the total area under the Old Formula graph line from skill 0-299 (since you can't skill up at 300) is 2789, under the New Formula line it's 2407 (roughly 86% of 2789). The total area under the Old Formula graph line from skill 250-299 is 1000, under the New Formula line it's 1182 (roughly 118% of 1000).

General Information

Tradeskill difficulties:

The following difficulties were announced by Tanker:

Alchemy: 4
    Fletching: 4
    Poison Making: 2
    Smithing: 2
    Tailoring: 2
    Tinkering: 2

Note that they mesh well with the values derived by Suani, which leads me to think the rest are probably accurate as well. Begging is now the hardest skill at 28.

Miscellaneous:

The order of success/fail and skillup messages will be reviewed, and if it's feasible, it will be changed to be more consistent. They will also try to incorporate the name of the item you are making into success/fail messages.

Current trophies will not be changed to have a higher skill modifier. The devs consider the stats on trophies to be enough of an upgrade over geerloks.

Loot All buttons on corpses are unlikely; the time it takes to loot a corpse is a game balance consideration.

The devs are not insensitive to the amount of bank space required by DoN cultural armors. They will consider ways to reduce bank space, and they are also considering increasing stack sizes on armor molds and augment patterns to 200.

As previously mentioned, DoN armors will get a review for viability, including upgrades to some slots, if appropriate. In addition, the devs will try to figure out why legs don't get a Type 12 augment.

A tradeskill super-trophy will not be coming soon, but it is still something the developers are considering.

Bag tokens will probably show bag stats with the June 22 patch.

Velium weapon to velium ore conversion are almost done. They will be going to QA next week, and if they pass, they will be included in an upcoming patch.

The Grand Robe / Grand Tunic / Phylactery quest will be reviewed. Making changes to this quest is tricky, though, as all changes have to be approved by Swords and Sorcery, the publishers of the pen-and-paper EQ RPG.

Lubricous Metal Bits are not a real item, and the recipe for them will be removed.

Karana's Heartfruit Salad will be live in the game with the next patch.

Recipes for Taelosian wheat and mountain wheat are also coming pretty soon. My impression was that this would be about two patches out, but I'm not positive. The recipes will be largely based on the player-submitted ideas on the EQLive boards.

The Ice Cream Churn will get a token with the next patch.

Absor said he would send me additional responses to some questions by email, so I'll post those as I get them.
    Sir KyrosKrane Sylvanblade
    Master Artisan (300 + GM Trophy in all) of Luclin (Veeshan)
    Master Fisherman (200) and possibly Drunk (2xx + 20%), not sober enough to tell!
    Lightbringer, Redeemer, and Valiant servant of Erollisi Marr

Great write up! Thank you Kyros

Based on my results in the field, I think that the formulae need to be rechecked...

In the low 200's in smithing (currently 214) I have been averaging 40+ combines per skill up.

Based on the new formula 2, I should be expecting approximately 10 combines per.

That is at 300 int, and assuming a difficulty factor of 2 (Yielding 142%) on formula 1. Even if the difficulty was a 4, formula 1 would still come to 71%, and approx 14 combines per skill up.

In jewelcraft at 283, I am averaging approx 60 combines per skill up, instead of the expected 26... more than double the number of expected combines, unless of course jewelcraft is a 4? I do not see the jewelcraft difficulty listed (.

Aeght

Comment

Tanker filled a lot of holes where we lacked data. Here's a consolidated list of tradeskill difficulty numbers:

4 = Alchemy (Tanker)
      3 = Baking (Suani)
      3 = Brewing (Suani)
      4 = Fletching (Suani) - effective stat not reduced by 15
      4 = Jewelcraft (Suani)
      2 = Poison Making (Tanker) - effective stat not reduced by 15
      4 = Pottery (Suani)
      2 = Smithing (Suani) - effective stat not reduced by 15
      2 = Tailoring (Suani)
      2 = Tinkering (Tanker)

I put a lot of faith in Suani's numbers because he set smithing at 2 when a lot of people wanted to call it as high as 4. Smithing actually has the highest skillup rate per combine.

DO NOT call smithing the "easiest" or expect big guys with massive hammers to chat with you. I wouldn't even DREAM of using that term until leather padding and tempers are as easy to get as Hynid meat.
      Last edited by Neebat; 06-13-2005, 10:35 AM.
      I tried combining Celestial Solvent, a Raw Rough Hide, Rough Hide Solution and a Skinning Knife. But the result was such an oxymoron, it opened a rift into another universe. I fell through into one of Nodyin's spreadsheets and was slain by a misplaced decimal.

Comment

I hope that answers re: Spell Research will be coming soon
        Master Artisan Maevenniia the Springy Sprocket Stockpiler of the really long name
        Silky Moderator Lady
        Beneath the silk, lies a will of steel.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeght
          Great write up! Thank you Kyros

Based on my results in the field, I think that the formulae need to be rechecked...

In the low 200's in smithing (currently 214) I have been averaging 40+ combines per skill up.

Based on the new formula 2, I should be expecting approximately 10 combines per.

That is at 300 int, and assuming a difficulty factor of 2 (Yielding 142%) on formula 1. Even if the difficulty was a 4, formula 1 would still come to 71%, and approx 14 combines per skill up.
          you have to pass BOTH... so this means if you do not have 100% from pass 1.... it jsut reduces your overall by that percentage. Even if you pass pass 1 you still ahve to pass pass 2...

Ajusted Skill = 214
          Success chance = 74.25%
          Chance of skill up on Success: 9.38%, on failure: 7.04%, overall 8.78%
          (I guessed on a 255 trivial... since you did not give the trivila of what you were working on...)

looks to me like jsut horrible luck. Is about 1 in 15 (not exact math!!!)

In jewelcraft at 283, I am averaging approx 60 combines per skill up, instead of the expected 26... more than double the number of expected combines, unless of course jewelcraft is a 4? I do not see the jewelcraft difficulty listed (.

Aeght
          Ajusted Skill = 283
          Success chance = 95%
          Chance of skill up on Success: 2.75%, on failure: 1.38%, overall 2.68%
          (trivial 300)

so about 1 in every 40 combines. 60 is not way off... but still bad luck.
          Ngreth Thergn

Ngreth nice Ogre. Ngreth not eat you. Well.... Ngreth not eat you if you still wiggle!
          Grandmaster Smith 250
          Master Tailor 200
          Ogres not dumb - we not lose entire city to froggies

Comment

Pass 1 of the skillup formula is as follows. Note that the chance to pass is a value between 0 and 100.

D = 1 if the tradeskill attempt was successful at making the primary result, 2 otherwise.
            Y = skillup difficulty of the current skill (for tradeskills, this is either 2, 3, or 4 currently). (Kyros note: see below for more on this factor.)
            S = Player stat used for this tradeskill. For most skills, it is the higher of your WIS or INT, minus 15. For Smithing, it's the higher of your WIS / INT / STR (no minus 15). For Fletching and Make Poison, it's the higher of your WIS / INT / DEX (no minus 15).
            Okay, I'm confused.

At the bottom of the document, it says something to the effect of "if you assume a 100% chance of passing check 1, which is unrealistic". However, if you plug the stats for an average tailoring combine with someone with max wis (with all AA):

Success
            ( (400 * 10) / (2 * 1) ) / 10.0 = (4000 / 2) / 10 = 2000 / 10 = 200% chance

Failure
            ( (400 * 10) / (2 * 2) ) / 10.0 = (4000 / 4) / 10 = 1000 / 10 = 100% chance

That doesn't seem unrealistic to me.
            Melenden
            High Priest of Tunare, 70th Summer
            Master Artisan in the Service of the Great Mother
            Vinceremo, Quellious Server

Comment

Ok its been a long while. But I think its calculus that determins the area under a graph right? Anyhow, could some math guy take that graph there, which is rather easy to duplicate given the formula, and run a few equations?

Specifcally, I am curious what the old "area" under the curve is compared to the new "area" under the curve is, past about 270 where the equal point is. This "area" should be roughly equal to the total number of combines needed for skillups. Im wondering exactly how many (I know its an average, of course) are needed now versus before. I suppose the amount saved from 170-270 would also be interesting to some folks.

I know the totals have been thrown around before, like 20% less or more or something, but now that we have graphs and math we could get exact average numbers. Would be kinda neat to see a breakdown on this, or maybe a scipt to type in current skill, target skill, and which trade and hit go and see how many average combines youre looking at to get there.

Admittidly I cant really do any of this, but if someones bored Id appriciate it. Thanks for the great writeup!

Comment

Originally posted by Melenden
                Okay, I'm confused.

At the bottom of the document, it says something to the effect of "if you assume a 100% chance of passing check 1, which is unrealistic". However, if you plug the stats for an average tailoring combine with someone with max wis (with all AA):

Success
                ( (400 * 10) / (2 * 1) ) / 10.0 = (4000 / 2) / 10 = 2000 / 10 = 200% chance

Failure
                ( (400 * 10) / (2 * 2) ) / 10.0 = (4000 / 4) / 10 = 1000 / 10 = 100% chance

That doesn't seem unrealistic to me.
                Well... for the dificulty 2 tradeskills... it is not...

for the dificulty 4 tradeskills... that is a different animal entirely...

Success
                ( (400 * 10) / (4 * 1) ) / 10.0 = (4000 / 4) / 10 = 1000 / 10 = 100% chance

Failure
                ( (400 * 10) / (4 * 2) ) / 10.0 = (4000 / 8) / 10 = 500 / 10 = 50% chance

But those are exactly the words of Tanker. Maybe he misspoke himself Maybe he meant "not guaranteed"
                Ngreth Thergn

Ngreth nice Ogre. Ngreth not eat you. Well.... Ngreth not eat you if you still wiggle!
                Grandmaster Smith 250
                Master Tailor 200
                Ogres not dumb - we not lose entire city to froggies

Comment

Originally posted by Lofwyr44
                  Would be kinda neat to see a breakdown on this, or maybe a scipt to type in current skill, target skill, and which trade and hit go and see how many average combines youre looking at to get there.
                  This is unfortunately not so simple because you're probably not going to use the same recipe across an entire range of skills. The recipe you use determines your success rate and that first pass formula is usually capped on success. On success you'll (almost) always use the second formula. If you fail the combine, then there's a good chance you won't get to the second formula at all. In that case, your combines are above and beyond the area under the curve.
                  I tried combining Celestial Solvent, a Raw Rough Hide, Rough Hide Solution and a Skinning Knife. But the result was such an oxymoron, it opened a rift into another universe. I fell through into one of Nodyin's spreadsheets and was slain by a misplaced decimal.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeght

Originally posted by Ngreth Thergn
                    Ajusted Skill = 283
                    Success chance = 95%
                    Chance of skill up on Success: 2.75%, on failure: 1.38%, overall 2.68%
                    (trivial 300)

so about 1 in every 40 combines. 60 is not way off... but still bad luck.

Wow... I've having absolutely horrendous luck with my jewelcraft then. Doing the math and averaging from 280 (currently at 295) I've had 1 skill up for every 85.1 combines. Counting just from 290 I've had 1 skill up for every 157.4 combines. Please... someone spread the luck around. I'll even take someone else's bad luck over my horrendous luck. Pretty please?
                    Oonna Wynterbreeze - 61 Enchanter

Jewelry - 300, Baking - 200, Brewing - 200, Fletching - 200, Pottery - 200, Research - 200, Tailoring - 188, Fishing - 184, Smithing - 125

The Rathe

Comment

The devs are not insensitive to the amount of bank space required by DoN cultural armors. They will consider ways to reduce bank space, and they are also considering increasing stack sizes on armor molds and augment patterns to 200.
                      increase stack sizes for the armor molds....how is that going to help? the DoN patterns/molds are no trade, so instead of having 16 stacks of them (8 for armor slots and 8 for symbols) at 20 per stack, we'll have 16 stacks at 200 per stack? Still doesn't change teh fact that 16 slots are unavailable for use. Plus, since these are stored in 2 no drop 8 slot backpacks, you lose 2 slots per, or 4 slots total, that you could have had by putting 10 slot containers in those spots instead.

Increase stack sizes to 200 for almost all items, and then we'll be talking. Then I can store 200 Celestial essences in one slot, for example.

THAT would be immensely helpful.

----

One other thing, make Blessed sickle blades, hilts and pommels stack, since the trivial is being lowered. Same for the Humming Orbs. And make the No Trade essences for shadowscream droppable.

I'd prefer the trivials were not lowered, of course. Basing trivials solely on the 'power' of the end result item is bad, IMO. They should also look at the PITA-factor....ie: how much of a hassle it is to collect components and/or the complexity of the recipe (ex" lots of subcombines, non-stacking items.)

Mistletoe Cutting Sickles:
                      -gathering components: very easy, vendor bought, but expensive
                      -complexity of recipe: major PITA, lots of subcombines, takes 9 celestial essence per sickle, interim subcombines of blade, hilt & pommel don't stack.

Shadowscream armor:
                      -have to do a quest for no-trade items (anvil, ammel) in order to be even able to make this stuff
                      -gathering components: major PITA to farm the essences & swirling shadows, interim subcombine of Humming Orb doesnt stack.
                      Master Artisan Maevenniia the Springy Sprocket Stockpiler of the really long name
                      Silky Moderator Lady
                      Beneath the silk, lies a will of steel.

Comment

Actually, the 8 slot bags aren't no drop. Take the patterns out and it becomes a very droppable regular backpack :P

I know what you mean though on the patterns in general. It just means we get to stack em higher instead of them being spread out :/

Why not add 4 more bank slots. That would pretty much even everything out. Heck, make it a lvl 51 AA that has four levels to add more room.

Comment

reduce reduce reduce

Why write it that way instead of a reduced version:
                          %-chance to pass = S / (Y * D)

Otherwise (raw skill > 175), chance = 12.5 - ( (10 / 125.0) * (raw skill - 175) )
                          Otherwise (raw skill > 175), chance = 12.5 - (.08 * (raw skill - 175) )
                          Xislaben The Rising Sun - Crimson Tempest

Dead Things

Comment

Originally posted by Xislaben
                            %-chance to pass = S / (Y * D)
                            One reason is because that would all be integer math, which is not the way it works. mulitplying by 10 early, then dividing by 10.0 (a floating point number) later gives a more accurate representation of the odds. For S = 313, Y = 3, D = 2, it's the difference between (317 / (3*2)) = 52 and ( 317 * 10 ) / (3*2) / 10.0 = 52.8.
                            Hmm, doing ( S / (float) (Y*D)) would work better (maybe I'll change it), yielding 52.833333

Another reason was I was trying to mimic the old way it did things as much as possible, and that code contained the *10 and rolled a number 1-1000. To represent it as a percentage, I just divided by 10.0.

Originally posted by Xislaben
                            Otherwise (raw skill > 175), chance = 12.5 - (.08 * (raw skill - 175) )
                            Heh, that's mainly a "show your work" kind of thing. ( 10/125.0 ) was a way to show WHY I was multiplying by 0.08 (as a method of spreading 10 points of skillup chance over 125 points of skill).

Comment

Originally posted by Wyvernwill
                              Why not add 4 more bank slots. That would pretty much even everything out. Heck, make it a lvl 51 AA that has four levels to add more room.
                              My characters who don't do tradeskills have a much easier time with bankspace, so I'd like to see this be tradeskill-based. For every tradeskill over 100, get an extra bank slot. For every tradeskill over 200, get another.

Comment

Working...
                              X