New Baking Guide to 191

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Baking Guide to 191

Hello Class, what, you were expecting something less scaly? Do not worry overmuch, many is the orc, goblin and gnoll that has fallen before me to prove my worth to be welcome in most cities. My name iss Quichon, known as the Quichonard for my speed in battle, for I am a Swifttail, not unlike the Humans Ashen Hand or Stone Fist Dojos in training. Why did I start baking you ask? A fair question indeed. Few Iksars bother with something as domesstic as baking, but I have truly enjoyed the craft. First it is a pleassure to turn your dead foe into a meal for rememberance, second while few of my bretheren bake, they do enjoy the thingss that come off of my spit.

Now, I am asssuming that you have already taken the class taught by the revered Niami DenMother. It is an excellent place to start and truly helpful for the new baker. Indeed, I took her class when I was but a hatchling and found it most instructive. But, you ask, you wissh the fastest way to become a master baker? There is no truly fast way to become a master, it will take more time and money that many wish to put forth in such a venture. However, I have found a route that at least minimizes costs.

Before you intend to do any serious baking, decide which of your wisdom or intelligence is eassier to raise. Once you have decided, try to get the chosen stat as high as you can get it. Assk to DONATE for stat raising buffs. Alwayss to remember to donate for services rendered, it makes them more likely to do so in the future. Raising BOTH INT and WIS is pointless, as only the highest of the two are used. Also, CHA is another stat to consider to reduce costs and increase sales.
    The first step is to go to New Tanaan in the Plane of Knowledge. There you can purchase a spit from Klen Ironstove at -85, 240 for a spit will assist you greatly in reducing the time involved and worth the price easily. Remember that it is a container and as such will NOT be able to be put in a container, so make sure you have an inventory slot open for it. From there, you go to the far back of the city behind the great library to Darius Gandril at 50, 1530 and you purchase Batwings from him. Then go around the pond to the barbarian fisherman and purchase his Fresh Fish. Combine one fish with one batwing on your spit (careful you don't leave it on too long, you don't want to cook it, for that ruins the flavor) and you will get one fish roll. Fish rolls are tasty, they are a banquet sized meal so they lasst a long time, and weigh only .1 so they don't take up much weight. For these reasons, many people wish to purchasse them as "filler food" and monks of any discipline will want them. You may use this recipie until you have reached 135, easily a master baker. You can sell the fishrolls back to the merchant, or you can try to auction them to other adventurerss. I can usually sell them for 5pp per stack, so you are making a small profit.

From there you will need to "farm" ssome things. What do I mean by "Farming" you ask? It is where you go to a place where the monsters are of minimal threat and that you could defeat them easily but they have things you need so you slaughter them mercilessly for what they hold. Thiss time, you wish Eggs. Where can you find eggs? Better it is to ask where you cannot find them, for many of the places that hatchlings hunt in, also called "Newbie Zones" as the slang term, have snakes that have eggs, so kill all the snakes you can find and harvest their eggs. Also, you can go to the local merchants, often you will find that many other new adventurers have found eggs and did not want them and so sold them to the local merchants, who would sell them to you for a markup. This can make it much faster for you at a slight cost. Also, if you have the money, you may auction to purchase eggs from others for more than the other merchants will pay and you can have many people farm eggs for you. One cup of flour plus one Flask of Water (and I do mean a flask, you can forage a pod of water sometimes, four of them in a bottle will do but the summoned globess of water are worthless) plus one egg makes noodles. Snake eggs makess only one noodle, there are other eggs that make more noodless but I will leave you to disscover which is best for you. If you carry around flasks of water and cups of flour you can make noodles as you farm. Then you put one noodle plus one spices (found at any baking supplies merchant) plus one jug of sauces (also found at any baking supplies merchant) to make Pinemyer Pasta. This will also help you train your baking up to 191. It is not as much in demand as fish rolls are, so it is best to sell them to merchants.

So, you thought that was easy? Indeed, it was but the beginning. To become a Grandmaster Baker, you need to either have access to parts that are difficult to attain OR you can go through the many many many subcombines for the Misty Thicket Picnic until your wrist becomes so swolen it will not work anymore. Ngreth Thergn, the House Ogre has written the guide for producing the dreaded Misty Thicket Picnic so I sshall not repeat it here. The only advantage of the Misty Thicket Picnic to the other methods is it may be done before you can acces the other planes and that perhaps people are willing to purchase them in the quantities that you are producing them.

That is all for today Clas. If anyone has any questions, see me after class. Dismissed.
    Last edited by Quichon; 08-07-2003, 12:49 AM.

Added to the sticky, thanks!

--Myrron
    Myrron Lifewarder, <Celestial Navigators>, Retired

Grandmaster Tailor ( 250 ) Master Brewer ( 200 ) Master Fletcher ( 200 ) Master Jewelcrafter ( 200 ) Master Smith ( 200 ) Master Baker ( 191 ) Master Potter ( 190 )

Comment

Update to give Ngreth Thergn full credit for the MTP guide which is stickied in the Baking forum. Thanks to the House Ogre for writing it. Further thanks for putting it in SH so ANYONE can do it since no one is KOS there.

Mabye you could link it here so everyone can start out with the DenMother's guide, go on to mine, and finish with Ngreth's to go from complete newbie to grandmaster while brousing the same forum?

Any questions or comments on the guide as a whole?

Comment

One request?

The ssss's are cute, but lose them. It really makes this otherwise useful post somewhat difficult to read.

...Zera
        Baroness Zeralenn Mancdaman - 58 Dark Elven SHD - Smithing (214)
        Baroness Milletoux Fleau'chevilles - 66 Gnome CLE (Epic) - Tinkering (222), Pottery (215)
        Csimene Penombra - 64 Human MAG (Epic) - Brewing (250) (Trophy), Tailoring, Smithing, Pottery, Research, Fletching, Jewelcraft & Baking (200)

Comment

1 thing. i went to 191 on 2 recipes. now that i'm bigger i am going back and making stuff for fun. same as i did in brewing.

edit doh. the 2 recipes were fish rolls and patty melts. got a few filleting but not on purpose. just wanted to eat the lion meat and had it handy for filler food.
          Last edited by eniamn; 11-07-2003, 12:45 PM.

Maker of Picnics.
          Cooker of things best left unidentified.
          "Grimrose points to the sky. Look! Up in the sky, it's a bird, no, a plane, no it's Picnic-Man. It's Emiamn, a mild mannered tradeskiller by day but daring handsome crime fighter at night. Spreading peace and joy to norrath with his mighty Picnics!"

Comment

Patty melts are expensive and require cheese only found in JaggedPine Forest and a nonstick frying pan which is difficult to produce. My pasta costs me less than a gold per combine, making it vastly cheaper and trivs at same time.

You can do patty melts if you want to, I'll stick to my cheap pasta.

I have deleted all the sssss's as requested. I hope it is easier to read now.

Comment

Patty melts arent that expensive. Can get bear meat in SH...sure cheese is in JP but who dosent have a druid friend or alt :P I had mine go buy and keep in bank .... and I made several skillets fairly easily. I think for the lil effort it takes to make them worth doing to 191

Comment

Ahem, *I* don't have a druid friend or alt.

Nonstick frying pan requires near-mastery of pottery for the lining, plus near mastery of blacksmithing if you make it yourself. Since I designed the guide for the newer crowd and naturally assuming one does not wish to have to almost master two different tradeskills to continue to advance in your skill, I chose pasta. It's all a matter of choice. You can do patty melts, you can do it all from Thurg, everything you need is right down the hall except the cheese and the pan which one assumes you bring with you. I perfer to do pasta.

I don't wish to spend over a plat per combine when I can spend under a tenth of that making pasta, which you can actually sell for a profit to the NPC merchant.

Comment

Working...
                X