Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning to Smithing after being off a few years

Hi,

My smithing is currently at 252 and I am trying to make some Tantalum Barbs which trival out at 255. I am failing miserably, 25 combines and no skill ups. I have placed AAs into Blacksmithing Mastery 3/3. I was one of the first master smiths on The Rathe when EQ started and don't remember failing this much. Am I missing something? I am really not sure what to do next.

I was also looking for a smithing guide that showed the most economical route, but could not find one.

Now this may sound like a newbie question, but if my smithing is at 252 and I equip my Grandmaster Smith's Hammer my smithing is increased to 264. If the Tantalum Barbs trival at 255, will I still get skill ups or should I remove the hammer so my skill level is below the trival?

Last question, how do you get above 300? I see trivals way over 300, but nothing on how to get there. What is the maximum that you can get to now?

Thanks!

Cheers,
    Sir Ungrim Ironfist of The Rathe
    Last edited by Ungrim; 08-18-2011, 08:46 PM.

Originally posted by Ungrim View Post
    Hi,

My smithing is currently at 252 and I am trying to make some Tantalum Barbs which trival out at 255. I am failing miserably, 25 combines and no skill ups. I have placed AAs into Blacksmithing Mastery 3/3. I was one of the first master smiths on The Rathe when EQ started and don't remember failing this much. Am I missing something? I am really not sure what to do next.

I do not hear you saying that you are failing combines, just not getting skill points. This is not uncommon, although one might hope for a skill point in 20 combines, you could go 100 combines with no skill-up.

I was also looking for a smithing guide that showed the most economical route, but could not find one.

I cannot point you to an economical smithing guide.

Now this may sound like a newbie question, but if my smithing is at 252 and I equip my Grandmaster Smith's Hammer my smithing is increased to 264. If the Tantalum Barbs trival at 255, will I still get skill ups or should I remove the hammer so my skill level is below the trival?

The 252 is the important number. When your unmodified skill reaches the trivial, then you can not increase. Your smithing modifier still helps.

Last question, how do you get above 300? I see trivals way over 300, but nothing on how to get there. What is the maximum that you can get to now?

300 is the skill cap now. The modifiers raise the effective skill above that. I point you to the recent trophies, which when at present maximum of 45 points, raise effective skill to 345. Note: with the next expansion -- November -- we are expecting that skill cap of 300 to rise. Beyond the skill modifier items, be sure that you have purchased the three levels of AAs for the trades in which you engage.

Thanks!

Cheers,
    I hope the above information helps.
    Last edited by Paloverde; 08-19-2011, 05:19 AM.

Comment

There is a very good tradskill guide in this forum. Look in Tadeskills -> Tradeskill Guides and UI Mods. The thread is stickied.

I would also considerer researching and completing the trophy quest that Paloverde mentioned. At skill 252, the trophy will evolve to be 12% mod (roughly 36 pts) (mods do not stack). This is better than 5% the smithy hammer you have now provides.
      Last edited by Jinaabu3169; 08-19-2011, 08:48 AM.
      Jinaabi Vah Shir - Bristlebane
      Smithing 300 7/7
      Tailoring 300 7/7
      Fletching 300 7/7
      Pottery 300 6/7
      Baking 300 7/7
      Brewing 300 6/7
      Jewelry 300 6/7
      Dagnora Drakkin
      Poison Making 300 7/7

Comment

Paloverde,

Thanks for the reply. I think I only failed the combine once in like 50 tries and finally got that skill up. I got another skill up right after that and then another about 10 combines later. Seemed like the game was just making sure I knew that it was in charge!

The reason I thought you could go past 300 was the recipe list on EQTraders have trivals as high as 528. I guess you are suppose to get to 300 and then get your trophies and hope for the best when you make one?

Jinaabu3169,

Thanks for pointing me to that guide. I am working on my "Expert Smith Test" now. I noticed that I need to turn in my Grandmaster Smithing Hammer. I had the hammer before I started the test and the test does not see that I have made it already. Curious if you know, or anyone knows, if I need to destroy it and create another for the test or will just turning it in complete the test.

Thanks again for the replies!

Comment

Regarding the ability to craft high trivial combines, even more important than the skill-improving item (geerlok, Grandmanster item, trophy or other) is the aquisition of the three levels of Alternate Ability for the subject skill. Also helpful in the case of failure is the aquisition of the salvage Alternate Abilitiy three levels.

Speaking to the statement "I guess you are suppose to get to 300 and then get your trophies", these days the concept is to do the trophy quest as soon as you obtain 50 or a few more skill points. The required materials are much easier then. And the trophy grows with you as you gain skill.

Do NOT destroy the Grandmaster Smith's Hammer. You do not need to make a new one. I have tried unsuccessfully to find a report of how it is managed but I think you turn it in twice. Definitely save this turn-in for last so you can use it during the other combines. And also make sure you have made the Grandmaster's Satchel (temporary) and gotten it converted to the Grandmaster's Carry-All.

Comment

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/q...ml?quest=3566a

In the text of the quest, it looks like Baublie should have told you or maybe if you click on the quest in the quest journal you can find the "Rules": "If you already have an old Trophy that you have made, show it to the Coordinator and she will mark it as already completed. You will still have to submit the old trophy to the judge."

Good luck!
            Aanuvane Bristlecone - Druid - Povar via Quellious via Rodcet Nife
            AKA Muertenie, Melodee, Orelinde, Nounie, Gnomess, Cininea Ashryn, Mairede or a host of additional alts. Maybe also be found on Rabon, Kynsh or Atracker.

Comment

Hello,

Quick update... I was not able to turn in my Grandmaster Smith's Hammer to the Judge because the quest did not have it flagged as being created since it was created before starting the quest. I actually don't remember the trophys when I created the hammer. The trophies might have been added in after.

Anyway, I contacted Everquest support and they flagged the hammer for me in the quest so I can turn it in. (sniff, I love my hammer)

Cheers,

Comment

Glad they were able to update that for you. You know, you could always just make another hammer.
                Tanliel Ta'Eldareva
                WebBard, Heroes of Luclin
                300: Baker, Jeweler, Potter, Fletcher
                250+: Brewer, Smith
                247: Tailor

Quoth Ngreth, "It is all very mathy."

Comment

Well, I got my smithing to 300 (yea!) and with my Master Smith Trophy I am at 336. I put AAs into Blacksmithing Mastery and Salvage.

Is there a list of the other items that modify the skill and if so, do they stack?

What are the most popular high end items to sell to make some of this plat back I spent?

Cheers,
                  Ungrim

Comment

Well, I got my smithing to 300 (yea!) and with my Master Smith Trophy I am at 336. I put AAs into Blacksmithing Mastery and Salvage.
                    Congratulations!

Is there a list of the other items that modify the skill and if so, do they stack?
                    As referred to above, there are two other modifiers for smithing skill: the Geerlok Automated Hammer with a modifier of 5% crafted by tinkers and Hammer of the Ironfrost with a modifier of 15% looted in a raid event (at least in earlier days) from Zerkizh The Creator in Ssraeshza Temple. No, the skills do NOT stack. The higher skill item prevails but if trophy is equipped with another item, trophy limits will improve within the limits of the trophy. Of course, the earlier version of the blacksmithing trophy is still available as you cited earlier.

What are the most popular high end items to sell to make some of this plat back I spent?
                    I have found limited demand for the high end cultural armor and for the new crafted weapons. The weapons may require more than one trade skill at a high level and requre some of the highest loams, marrow and/or spinnerett fluids. I craft on demand rather than stocking or offering in Bazaar. Lately I have been sensing some demand for throwing items.

Comment

Working...
                    X