Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestion for a new type of cultural armor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion for a new type of cultural armor.

I first want to say that I really love what Ngreth has done with tradeskills. I have played this game for over 5 years and only got into tradeskilling in the last 2 years. So much of what I enjoy about it is because of changes he has made. I understand the problems with the old cultural system with older type 12 augments.

I posted a thread on the EQLive forums and it devolved into a gripe thread fairly fast. So I come here with the hopes that those of us who enjoy tradeskilling can come up with an alternative that is acceptable on all fronts.

This is a suggestion that I have for it.

Tradeskill portion.

XXX ore is used to make a template. Just as it is now, it can be sold back to vendors or used in an armor combine.

XXX Chain template + XXX loam = XXX Cultural Armor. This armor is now attunable and of no value to a vendor. It has NO stats but is
    Restricted to the appropriate Race/Class combo's.

Non Tradeskill to make the usable armor.

XXX Cultural Armor is combined with ## Group dropped item in a no fail combine in an appropriate tradeskill container.
    The resulting item is the usable Armor. This does not allow people to walk into the bazaar to get a full set of armor, they
    still need to do the content to get the NO TRADE item for the combine to make the usable armor.

XXX Cultural Armor (the no stat, attunable armor) can be combined with ## Raid dropped item to make raid level cultural armor.
    You can purchase the cultural armor in the bazaar, but it has no stats until the NO TRADE item is combined with it.

Here are some examples of how it would work. I am going to use praetorian armor as an example. It has both group and raid levels
    for me to pull.

Level 75 Group Cultural Cuirass
    MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM NO TRADE
    Slot: CHEST
    Purity: 50
    AC: 100
    STR: 15+2 DEX: 15+4 STA: 15+4 CHA: 15+3 WIS: 15+2 INT: 15+1 AGI: 15+1 HP: +280 MANA: +280 ENDUR: +280
    SV FIRE: +5 SV DISEASE: +5 SV COLD: +5 SV MAGIC: +5 SV POISON: +5
    Shielding: +3% Spell Shield: +3% Accuracy: +4 DoT Shielding: +4% Attack: +40 Regeneration: +5 Mana Regeneration: +5
    Required level of 75.

Effect: Cleave III (Worn, Casting Time: Instant)
    Focus: 25% Heal Focus

WT: 9.9 Size: LARGE
    Class: RNG ROG SHM BER
    Race: Appropriate

Slot 1, Type 7

Slot 2, Type 16 Level 75 Deity symbol
    Str 0+2, Sta 0+4, Agi 0+1, Dex 0+4, Wis 0+2, Int 0+1, Cha 0+3
    SV FIRE: +10 SV DISEASE: +10 SV COLD: +10 SV MAGIC: +10 SV POISON: +10

Slot 3, Type 17 Level 75 Group Augment
    Effect: Cleave III (Worn, Casting Time: Instant)
    Focus: 25% Heal Focus

Level 75 Raid Cultural Cuirass
    MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM NO TRADE INFUSIBLE
    Slot: CHEST
    Purity: 75
    AC: 150
    STR: 36+4 DEX: 36+6 STA: 36+7 CHA: 36+5 WIS: 36+4 INT: 36+3 AGI: 36+3 HP: +575 ENDUR: +575 Mana: + 575
    SV FIRE: +27 SV DISEASE: +27 SV COLD: +27 SV MAGIC: +27 SV POISON: +27
    Shielding: +5% Spell Shield: +4% Avoidance: +10 Accuracy: +25 DoT Shielding: +4% Attack: +60 HP Regen: +6 Damage Shield: +4
    Required level of 75.

Effect: Cleave VII (Worn, Casting Time: Instant)
    Focus: 60% Heal Focus

WT: 9.0 Size: LARGE
    Class: RNG ROG SHM BER
    Race: Appropriate

Slot 1, Type 8 (General: Raid)

Slot 2, Type 16 Level 75 Deity symbol
    Str 0+2, Sta 0+4, Agi 0+1, Dex 0+4, Wis 0+2, Int 0+1, Cha 0+3
    SV FIRE: +10 SV DISEASE: +10 SV COLD: +10 SV MAGIC: +10 SV POISON: +10

Slot 3, Type 17 Level 75 Raid Augment
    Effect: Cleave VII (Worn, Casting Time: Instant)
    Focus: 60% Heal Focus

The deity symbols would be the same for both sets of armor.
    The type 17 augments are where the creativity comes in. You can completely customize your choice of focus effects. The augments are also able to moved from one slot to another.

Now what happens when the cultural armor goes to level 80?
    Can you keep your old type 16 and 17 augs. Yes. Does it reward old content? No!
    You will be left with an old focus effect and lower stats.

Almost all of the stats are on the base armor. The type 16 and 17 simply improve it a small amount,
    or add desired focus effects.

Can you use the armor without the type 16 and 17 augments? Sure you can, but it is definately worth getting the augments.

Forget the old method of deity symbols and type 12's. They are too hard to balance.
    This is a great way to reward tradeskilling and actually experience content for your rewards.
    Malenie Woodshaper
    80 Ranger of Tunare
    Ruis Saille

I'm sorry; that's kind of confusing to me. Im not sure what you're saying, so I'd like to ask to clarify.

Do you want to have the armor with no stats available to tradeskill, then put massive augs in a no-fail combine into them for raid/group level?

Or have a semi-decent base armor with really good augs and a group/raid slot available for augs?

Because with the current Elegant and Elaborate gear, it's kind of a mix between the two. the 300 hp augs that are available for group and raid level go into gear that has 50ish ac and 60ish hps; a bad piece of gear for any character that's lvl 80, although not an absolute 0 across the board. They have attuneable items in the bazaar for the 360 hps that the current gear gives you, and the focus effects are only added in with the raid dropped aug which is made exactly as you suggested the group type aug be made; a no-fail combine from an event that is no-trade.

Basically the new Cultural armor is on par with both group and raid level gear (groupable being maxed at 360ish hps which is about equivalent to the Warped Steel gear that is tradeable/attuneable, while raid is 800 hps with a solteris level Last Blood and a 100 hp regular type 8 aug- which is exactly what I get out of my Solteris gear from the raid drops.) The biggest difference I can see is this: groupable level doesn't have effects you can add; but raid level does.

So while the Warped Steel gear (I'm a warrior so I'm using plate classes here) can have effects like cleave III and ferocity, a cultural piece would have no effects- so unfortunately the tradeskill cultural piece would loose out in this circumstance because it doesn't have the added focus effects or the extra ac from a raid level aug. With the raid level aug, though, you add both AC and a focus effect; there is a tradeoff though.

The focus effect is usually 1 step lower than current raid gear; for example, an actual item from Solteris would have a cleave VII effect on it, whereas with a Last Blood aug out of Solteris you can achieve, at maximum, a cleave VI effect. To get the Solteris level equivalent you have to use a Last Blood piece from Secrets of Feydwer. BUT! The AC is significantly higher; by as much as 20 points on a piece. I know that doesn't seem like much, but when each piece of gear you have are hovering around 100 or so ac (and we all know how important ac is to a tank! 1 ac is about equivalent to 5 hitpoints, for those who don't), the new cultural tends to make better sense for tank classes; knights and warriors specifically.

For casters, though; it's still preferred to go with the actual raid gear; because of the fact that the difference between 50% increase in base damage and a 55% increase in base damage is massive when you're considering a 7k base nuke can hit for up to and well over 35k damage. And let's face it; the whole idea of most casters is about not getting hit, not taking the hits.

So to be honest, I think the current cultural gear is quite balanced; then again, I'm looking at it from a raid level perspective.

So please clarify; I'm not sure where what you're suggesting is differing from what has been done, other than perhaps adding those focus effects at a groupable level?

Comment

He is suggesting a tradeskill created item with 0 stats.

A group level drop is combined (no trade) with the crafted blank armor part to make a group level item.

A raid level drop is combined (no trade) with the crafted blank armor part to make a raid level item.

There is an appropriate slot 7 or 8 on the armor.

There is a "symbol" aug slot (type 16 in his example) that has a minor aug (appears mostly heroic stats in his example and resists).

There is a focus aug slot (type 17 in his example) that adds the focus effect to the armor. There would need to be differing levels of group and raid drops for these to provide all the different foci.

As to the current cultural being balanced, horse...meet stick... swing repeatedly. To reiterate. The group versions of the armor (armor + symbol) are considered balanced with other group gear. The "set" raid gear (70/70/LB, or 80/80/Faycite) are "balanced" around that content. It is when people start mixing and matching that items are created with stats that are not balanced. 70/80/LB as an example. These are too high of stats, in the dev's eyes.

To Clix's initial post. I like the fact that crafted armor is tradeable. Attuneable I could deal with, but I do not like the idea of a NO TRADE drop I have to go farm to THEN go combine with a crafted item to use for group gear. For raid gear, it is not a problem. Group gear I think should be tradeable AS gear with stats if it is crafted. What is going to make someone want the crafted armor if they need to hunt mob X for a no trade drop when mob X drops gear normally that is equal or on par with the cultural. If the crafted version is better, well now who is gonna want the other version and you will have the issue again of people complaining crafted armor is too powerful.

I think that if you changed your set up so that the crafted armor (with the group drop loam) was the stat item it would be better. Let the cultural have the advantage of a focus aug slot that can be chosen (keep your type 17). I also liked your idea of an aug slot for minor boost to heroic stats or could have mod2s. This would be to leave to the base stats on the crafted piece without as many mod2s or heroic stats but would need this aug to fully make it comparable to the group drops it is to be on par with.
      Shawlweaver Sphynx on Cazic Thule
      Master Artisan Aldier on Cazic Thule

Comment

Sorry for the confusion.

The idea behind this is a hybrid of the core system in SoF. The combines would be identical to what they are now. The templates are still your skill up path. There is simply 1 extra step to get the usable armor and distinguish it as group or raid level.

The new system would use

Ore + Pattern = Template
        Template + Loam = Cultural Armor ( No stats yet and not wearable)

Cultural Armor + Group Core (Drop in current content) = Group level cultural armor ( most of the stats are in the base armor) This is a no fail combine that yields the usable armor. Has augment slot types of 7, 16 and 17.

Cultural Armor + Raid Core (Drop in current raid content) = Raid level cultural armor. This is a no fail combine that yields the usable armor with slot types 8, 16 and 17.

They type 7 and 8 augment slots help ease the burden of finding entire new sets of usable augments by those who raid.

The type 16 will be the new deity symbol, but will not have the power that it once had. Instead it will give the heroic stats and a small boost in resists. This still makes it a desirable augment without bloating the value of it.

The type 17 replaces the type 12 and is only used to add melee and caster focus effects. This would require a group content drop for a group level focus or a raid level drop for a raid level focus. This augment will allow 1 melee focus and/or 1 caster focus. I am not sure that 2 focus can be put on an augment.

The flexibility of this armor is unique in that a person with Cultural raid armor can get an type 17 group level focus until they get the item necessary for a raid level focus. A person with group level armor can also use raid level focus in their armor. It does not make the armor overpowered.

I hope that cleared it up for you.
        Malenie Woodshaper
        80 Ranger of Tunare
        Ruis Saille

Comment

The dropped item to make the group level armor can be extremely common. The loam drop rate is going to be bottleneck in that equation. So essentially you just have to go to the new zones (own the expansion) to get the No Trade component.
          Malenie Woodshaper
          80 Ranger of Tunare
          Ruis Saille

Comment

Not keen on the NO TRADE dropped piece for group level armours at all.

A more simple solution to the LB thing would be to have a reverse recommended level coding on it. I.E. once over a certain level, the stats begin to degrade the higher you get (opposite of if you are below a rec. level). Something like a 'Peak' level, or just have it use the required level of the piece, giving diminishing returns for every level past this point that you are using it. For example if the LB's had a peak of 74 (where exalted tops out and there is a space for another set of armour) then it would still be useful, but not as much - upgrading the armour or other aug after that still yeilds results; but to maintain a decent type 12 you need to upgrade it too. Just a thought and it sounded better in my head anyways.
            Kcalehc K'Venalis
            Teir`Dal Overlord
            Officer, Trader and Gentleman
            Order of the Raven's Tear
            Tholuxe Paells (Bertoxxulous)

Comment

Or simply come up with new slot numbers for new sets. Make the new LB equivalent have the new slot number, plus slot 12 (and preceding numbers).

So, level 85 armor comes out - has slots 7,11, and (say) 20.

Level 85 version of last Bloods come out and are slot 20, 12.

Result - if someone gets a level 85 LB, he can use it in his old level 80 (or 70) armor until he upgrades it. But he can't put old augs in the new armor.

Preserves a lot of flexibility, but prevents the 'forwards compatibility' of the Last Bloods that seems to have been the problem.
              Garshok
              95th Dreadlord, Povar-Quellious, 300 Ogre Grand Master Smith, 300 all skills
              (glad the climb to 300 is finally over)

Zopharr
              95th Priest of Brell, Povar-Quellious, 300 Dwarven Grand Master Smith, 300 all skills
              (holds his 15% smithing trophy in his off hand and pretends to dual-wield - and hopes the Holy Dirt of Brell he's carried for twelve years will have a use in the new expansion)

Rishathra
              95th Shaman of Inny, Povar-Quellious, 300 Troll Grand Master Smith
              (got so tired of looking for a troll smith for armor that I made one)

Marzanna
              95th Necromancer, Povar-Quellious, 300 Tinker - Tailor
              (still working on Solder, Spy)

Comment

Working...
              X