Hmm ~ New Useful Smithing Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm ~ New Useful Smithing Ideas

After reading the post about cultural armor probably not having future sets... I thought we should start a thread for ideas of things that could be made by smithing in the future that would still be useful...

*stares at the screen blankly*

Too early in the morning for me to have an idea... hope someone out there has some good ones!

If crafted armor is to be relegated to only create group level armor then it is fairly simple to create armor that takes a template (can add a new level of templates above Tantalum depending on skill level increase that is possibly needed with the next expansion) and then a dropped item that creates the armor (no symbols and armor just 1 piece). Perhaps put a slot 7 for a group aug and a new slot for a separate tradeskill crafted augment that are new and can be added to improve it to a slightly better form to put on par with the next tier higher group armor drops. Similar to the crystallos type 12 aug but not a type 12 that improves Tier 3 SoF group armor to Tier 4 SoF group armor levels.

Another idea, NEW weapons.
    Shawlweaver Sphynx on Cazic Thule
    Master Artisan Aldier on Cazic Thule

Comment

Originally posted by Aldier View Post
      Another idea, NEW weapons.
      Yes, yes and yes.

There is a huge space in smithing where weapons stopped and armour carried on. GoD and TBS added a few weapons, and not all that bad really - but nothing spectacular or useable much beyond 55-60. Definately room for some decent stuff, if not cultural weapons (which are probably still in game, but very underused) then something more general.
      Kcalehc K'Venalis
      Teir`Dal Overlord
      Officer, Trader and Gentleman
      Order of the Raven's Tear
      Tholuxe Paells (Bertoxxulous)

Comment

I'd like to be able to smith one of the classic blacksmith's items: horseshoes! Maybe make it a long quest to make 4 horseshoes and combine with the bridle so the shoed horse can run faster, of course we'd have to double the number of mounts to handle the shoed/unshoed status.

Comment

Originally posted by Zolina View Post
          I'd like to be able to smith one of the classic blacksmith's items: horseshoes! Maybe make it a long quest to make 4 horseshoes and combine with the bridle so the shoed horse can run faster, of course we'd have to double the number of mounts to handle the shoed/unshoed status.
          Except the "Max speed" horse will not be made faster than they are. so it would have some "ending" issues.
          Ngreth Thergn

Ngreth nice Ogre. Ngreth not eat you. Well.... Ngreth not eat you if you still wiggle!
          Grandmaster Smith 250
          Master Tailor 200
          Ogres not dumb - we not lose entire city to froggies

Comment

Originally posted by Zolina View Post
            Nice idea, but you'd need to introduce the 'Farrier' skill to put them on the horses... heh.
            Kcalehc K'Venalis
            Teir`Dal Overlord

Comment

Originally posted by Ngreth Thergn View Post
              Except the "Max speed" horse will not be made faster than they are. so it would have some "ending" issues.
              What about upgrading the acceleration / deceleration times? It seems like that's where horse shoes could really make a difference, and it doesn't affect the max speed.

Putting shoes on horses is easy. You get a gnome, and give him the horse shoe. Tell him it's a hat...
              I tried combining Celestial Solvent, a Raw Rough Hide, Rough Hide Solution and a Skinning Knife. But the result was such an oxymoron, it opened a rift into another universe. I fell through into one of Nodyin's spreadsheets and was slain by a misplaced decimal.

Comment

Originally posted by Neebat View Post
                What about upgrading the acceleration / deceleration times? It seems like that's where horse shoes could really make a difference, and it doesn't affect the max speed.

Putting shoes on horses is easy. You get a gnome, and give him the horse shoe. Tell him it's a hat...
                A code change of some sort, but more reasonable. It is something I can consider, but I have no promises for it.
                Ngreth Thergn

Ngreth nice Ogre. Ngreth not eat you. Well.... Ngreth not eat you if you still wiggle!
                Grandmaster Smith 250
                Master Tailor 200

Comment

Originally posted by Ngreth Thergn View Post
                  A code change of some sort, but more reasonable. It is something I can consider, but I have no promises for it.
                  If you do put in a code request, make sure the acceleration/deceleration modifier can come from an aug. That way you can avoid the headaches of implementing 100 different variations of every mount, and the recipes to combine and uncombine them.
                  Last edited by Neebat; 03-04-2008, 02:00 PM. Reason: don't compare anything to pet focuses if you're trying to make things simpler for the devs.
                  I tried combining Celestial Solvent, a Raw Rough Hide, Rough Hide Solution and a Skinning Knife. But the result was such an oxymoron, it opened a rift into another universe. I fell through into one of Nodyin's spreadsheets and was slain by a misplaced decimal.

Comment

I would dearly love to see someway to unattune armor and stuff. Ie jewelers unattune jewelry, smiths armor/weapons etc. Make it a quest to get the skill to be able to do it. Can out a timer on it liek there is on enchanting dwerium etc.

Comment

A thought occured to me that something akin to the dwerium jewelry could be done with armour (or even weapons, but my thought was about armour initially) to allow some degree of customisation.

Making a basic template piece of armour, with perhaps just some AC on it, related to the level of the metal used (Silver Plated Breastplate, Electrum Plated Breastplate etc for example); then having a bunch of aug slots (of a suitable type) to customise to whatever you desire. Types could be 7, 10, 10 and 11 allowing the same jc gems and scaling in much the same way. EDIT: Thinking about it now, early in the morning, theres probbly enough templates spare from the new smithing stuff that was put in. Like Tin/silvril/rubicite/titanium that currently aren't used for anything that could be used here, with a enchanted silver/electrum/etc... in place of a cultural metal and store bought mold; essentially following the same pattern as cultural with a couple minor changes.

(Of course similar things could be added to tailoring with silver/electrum/etc studs/boning/silk to keep them happy too )

just a thought anyway.

Otherwise I'm still keen on getting more weapons to make, the ones now aren't superb - though still decent in some areas.
                      Last edited by Kcalehc; 03-10-2008, 06:14 AM. Reason: had additional thought
                      Kcalehc K'Venalis
                      Teir`Dal Overlord

Comment

Originally posted by Bedazzlerr View Post
                        I would dearly love to see someway to unattune armor and stuff. Ie jewelers unattune jewelry, smiths armor/weapons etc. Make it a quest to get the skill to be able to do it. Can out a timer on it liek there is on enchanting dwerium etc.
                        I asked about this and got an absolute NO. (came up in the AA ideas thread)
                        Ngreth Thergn

Grandmaster Smith 250
                        Master Tailor 200

Comment

Was probably my post there as well. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Kcalehc View Post
                            A thought occured to me that something akin to the dwerium jewelry could be done with armour (or even weapons, but my thought was about armour initially) to allow some degree of customisation.

Making a basic template piece of armour, with perhaps just some AC on it, related to the level of the metal used (Silver Plated Breastplate, Electrum Plated Breastplate etc for example); then having a bunch of aug slots (of a suitable type) to customise to whatever you desire. Types could be 7, 10, 10 and 11 allowing the same jc gems and scaling in much the same way.
                            I think that's a pretty awesome idea. But there are plenty of tradeskillers who also raid. They'd be pretty disappointed if there were no way to make it "raid level". The key is, to make sure they have to take out the normal augs to replace them with raid augs. The whole cultural debacle could have been avoided if there were group type-12's.

Comment

I would like to see a set of "personal" armor that could be made to replace or be the next step in the defunct cultural armor line. This armor, when made would be no drop/no trade.

Ntuok
                              300 smith of Druzzil Ro

Comment

Working...
                              X