No announcement yet.

A Misers Guide to Smithing to 188 - With Cost Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tradeskill training at your guild is capped at 20? 21? skill level. So, if you are higher, you cannot train in that skill any more. Other skills you can train as long as you have the cash and aren't up to the level cap or maximum skill level.

Kheera

Comment

Stuipd Ogre 21

I should have read more.. I found it just as someone showed me. Figured it was out there .But I'm still saving my training points for something don't konw what yet though.

Zugwugger ShadowSmith
      <Companions of the Dawn> Quellious
      level 51 SK
      Smithing 189
      Brewing 151
      Fletching 108
      Tailoring 70

Comment

Re: Train

Originally posted by Zugwugger
        I keep hearing about all these Bad Chain Years(Smithing 122-188).
        They really aren't that bad. I went from 115 to 175 in the last few weeks. The most annoying thing was having to make the folded medium quality sheets. This was the only real expense too. And since the combines were often successful and I sold them back and lost little of my seed money. Follow the advice you find on the site, you will be fine.

The real hell starts after 188.
        Arou
        47th Vah Shir Warrior
        Ronin Caste Officer
        Lanys T'Vyl

Comment

Bad chain years?

You're kidding me, right? Here are the steps:

1) Go to Sol A (Solusek's Eye, NOT Nagafen's Lair)

2) Kill everything you see (Works great if you have a pet)

3) Keep all HQ Ore and FS weapons. Don't bother with Unrefined or Fiery Ore. If you think about it, it's not worth it. The fiery temper is a nightmare to get (talk about slow going) and the unrefined quests don't get you enough money to justify the inventory slots and weight.

4) Fill completely up with FS weapons and HQ Ore. It don't matter if you're moving at max SoW speed or crawling to that PoK book in Nektulos Forest... just so long as you don't have to make many trips.

5) Turn all FS weapons into HQ ore and all of that into rings. Make several stacks of them.

6) Go back to 1 and repeat until you have 200-400 rings in the bank (the more the better because that's more killing and less time burning changing 'roles'). Don't forget to change in all your Silver and Gold for Plat. Copper isn't worth it and should have been destroyed long ago. Heck, I'm an Ogre with 200+ Str normally and find that I was still running into times where I would just destroy the Silver.

Following this guide, when you go to start making your chain, you should have 1-2k plat. Not to mention the fact that if you can kill Kindle (imp in Sol A) and get his gloves, you can usually sell them for 500 quick or 1k if you're patient. That pushes your money into the 2-3k range. If you can justify saying that these are the 'bad chain years', particularly when going to farm the ore gets you enough cash to get your smithing up to 188, then you've got some strange problems that I just can't understand. The goblins there drop 5g-5p each usually. Sure, there are some crappy ones that drop like 2 silver, but they average about a plat each on the non-young ones. You'll have plenty of cash.

Sure, it will take you a week, but at that point in time you can buy your geerlok, hammer, all the silver/electrum/gold that you need, your MQ ore for FS armor and everything other than the leather (No, do NOT burn 20p each on leather padding, I just want to smack people that spend that much money on padding.... just go farm the pelts and *ling silks). At the end of the day, after 'the bad chain years', you'll be WAY ahead on money for having worked on smithing.

Unfortunately the 188+ area is where you're kinda screwed. Nothing is cheap, it takes tempers that can be a bit difficult to get (mattering on your race), pricey ore (that you usually have to get enchanted) and supposedly it takes forever for skillups.

Comment

I, for one, can't stand farming greens for more than, say, an hour at a time. My eyes just cross and I can't stand it. Trips into SolA were only made to get unrefined ore to restock the HQ ore merchant... any FS/HQ ore I picked up inside was merely a bonus. Flame Agates were decent merchant food too. (8pp a piece and I'd come out with 4-20 of them depending on how long I'd stayed in) Some of the other stackable drops (hemlock, weed, etc) were semi-decent cash for a greenie farm... but, really, I just can't justify killing greens for cash for very long. I may as well be exping if I'm killing mobs, that's just how my brain works.

I ran into somebody on Test the other night who'd been in EF for *SEVEN* hours farming pelts. More power to him, but I just can't comprehend the patience required to do that sort of thing.

I suppose I should rename the guide... "The Miser's Guide to Smithing Off Merchant Components"
            Tillomiki Makh - Wood Elf Rogue of the 52nd circle/stab/slice/pickpocket/pincushion
            Bane Sidhe - Fennin Ro
            Semi-GM Fletcher (202)
            Tradeskill Alts - Nietzrieche - Smithing 177 - Terbello - Jewelcraft 184 - Trinaindae - Tailoring 88 - Zakmaelian - Baking 163 - Huroya - Brewing 138

Comment

Just a small tip on restocking HQ Ore suppliers...
              especially if you don't want to (or aren't high enough to) camp mobs who drop the goods. )

You can usually buy Bricks of Unrefined from the merchants near the bank in High Keep. I did this repeatedly to raise my faction with Luclin traders.
              Armorall Scarshielder
              Paladin, Hammer of Brell
              49th season
              Rallos Zek Server
              http//www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=601132

Comment

Also did this from vendor at Druid rings in Lavastorm.

Bought 3 large bricks, (i already had one from running through Sola and killing the train that was following me) and the guy wasn't out, it also had small bricks.

Wonder how many people sell the unrefined ore back to vendors around there.

I wish I remembered the pricing, but the quest gives you 44pp for large brick turn-in, so I may have turned a profit.

Comment

Working...
                X