Research FAQ submissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research FAQ submissions

I'm looking for submissions for a Research FAQ to go on the site. One thing to start it off:

Q: If there are different recipes for the same spell, can I use the spell that any of them make?
    A: This depends on the level spell. For spells 1-49, it seems that you can only use spells made for your own class, or for the priest classes that share the spell. It is possible that there may be exceptions to this. For spells 50-60, the researched scroll should be usable by any class that can use it, including hybrids. You can only use the recipe for your own class to make a spell, but should be able to scribe the scroll for the same spell made by another class. An enchanter cannot use the wizard recipe to make Levitation, but could use the spell if a wizard made it via the wizard recipe.

Edited in light of the conversation below.
    Retiree of EQ Traders...
    Venerable Heyokah Verdandi Snowblood
    Barbarian Prophet & Hierophant of Cabilis
    Journeyman Artisan & Blessed of Brell
    EQ Players Profile ~ Magelo Profile

Smith Dandi wipes her sooty hands on her apron and smiles at you.

Q: Where can I find (XYZ Old Research item)?
    A: Research items will drop off of MoBs who's level is within 6 levels of the level of the spell they are used to create.

Q: How do I get my Advanced Research Book?
    A: Hail (I forget the npc), in one of the buildings near the lighthouse, and say "I am a wizard" (Or whatever class you really are). You must have a research skill of 101 for this to work.

(Edit: I forgot an Important one!)

Q: I just put one point into research, and it wont let me train anymore! Why?
    A: The formula for the cap on research is 5 * (Your level - 15). At 16, you can only have 5 points in it. At 19, the skill cap is 20. Etc...

-Lilosh
    Venerable Noishpa Taltos , Planar Druid, Educated Halfling, and GM Baker.
    President and Founder of the Loudmouthed Sarcastic Halflings Society
    Also, Smalltim

So take the fact of having a dirty mind as proof that you are world-savvy; it's not a flaw, it's an asset, if nothing else, it's a defense - Sanna

Comment

Q: Who can do research?
      A: Only int casters (enchanters, magicians, necromancers, and wizards) level 16+ can do research.

Q: Do I have to do research in order to get all my spells?
      A: No. All of your spells are available from at least one of four other sources: vendors, quests, drops, or other researchers.

Q: What classes' spells can I research?
      A: You can research spells usable by your own class or by any priest class.

Q: What spells are available for research?
      A: It varies. In general, int casters can research most of their spells for levels 1-50. Some of those spells are also available from vendors. There are lists available {insert links}. For levels 51-60, only a few vendor spells are also researchable. None of the spells that are only available via parchment or runed glyph drops in Planes of Power can be researched.

Edited in light of Tudani's later post
      Retiree of EQ Traders...

Comment

Verdandi,

Re: the FAQ in your first post

Does that apply to sub-50 spell research? For example, there are 3 different researched versions of Paralyzing Earth and 4 different researched versions of Nullify Magic with specific classes written on them (check Lucy for the graphics). Is it confirmed that for example, a Wizard can scribe a Paralyzing Earth with "Cle Sha Nec" listed as the classes?

Perhaps the FAQ can go into a bit more detail to accomodate the "I don't see my class written on the scroll can I still scribe it?" problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfdruidess
          Does that apply to sub-50 spell research? For example, there are 3 different researched versions of Paralyzing Earth and 4 different researched versions of Nullify Magic with specific classes written on them (check Lucy for the graphics). Is it confirmed that for example, a Wizard can scribe a Paralyzing Earth with "Cle Sha Nec" listed as the classes?

Perhaps the FAQ can go into a bit more detail to accomodate the "I don't see my class written on the scroll can I still scribe it?" problem.
          I don't know, honestly. I know that at least one of the 50-60 scrolls are interchangeable, and given the different histories of the spell sets the other 50-60s probably all are even if the under 50s aren't. But I have no idea about the under 50s. I'll hold that question out for now, until we get an answer.
          Retiree of EQ Traders...

Comment

While my work on

http://mboards.eqtraders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5132

got a little bit less enthusiasm then I imagined, I was wondering If maybe youwanted to sticky it, in case people are looking for help formatting it for printing?

Or maybe not, either way.

-Lilosh
            Venerable Noishpa Taltos , Planar Druid, Educated Halfling, and GM Baker.
            President and Founder of the Loudmouthed Sarcastic Halflings Society
            Also, Smalltim

So take the fact of having a dirty mind as proof that you are world-savvy; it's not a flaw, it's an asset, if nothing else, it's a defense - Sanna

Comment

We try to keep the number of stickies to a minimum as much as possible. There aren't a whole lot of new threads coming in here and pushing stuff off the first page, so I think it's still visible enough for now.
              Retiree of EQ Traders...

Comment

Im compiling these submissions for an FAQ, will post it soon. Keep the ideas coming
                Master Artisan Maevenniia the Springy Sprocket Stockpiler of the really long name
                Silky Moderator Lady
                Beneath the silk, lies a will of steel.

Comment

Originally posted by Verdandi
                  Originally posted by Elfdruidess

I don't know, honestly. I know that at least one of the 50-60 scrolls are interchangeable, and given the different histories of the spell sets the other 50-60s probably all are even if the under 50s aren't. But I have no idea about the under 50s. I'll hold that question out for now, until we get an answer.
                  I've done a bit of research and testing on this. As far as I can tell, LoY research recipes create the exact same item as the dropped spell scrolls, so anyone who can cast the spell can scribe the scroll. Old-school research, on the other hand, creates a spell that is unique to the class-specific combine container. A wizard-researched Spell: Levitate has class listing of WIZ, and cannot be scribed by an enchanter. An enchanter-researched Spell: Levitate is ENC and, likewise, can't be scribed by a wizard. The store-bought scroll, though, is scribable by RNG, DRU, SHM, WIZ, ENC, and BST. So, that accounts for the three unique items called Spell: Levitate in lucy, for example. (And 3 for your example of Paralyzing Earth, each unique scroll created by enchanter, wizard, and necro research.)

Edit: As many of you know, I'm one of the volunteers working on the upcoming database. Just to let you know, research recipes are going in now, with many corrections to the basic lists that are on the site now.
                  Zallarenya
                  Coercer of the Underfoot
                  Druzzil Ro Server

Comment

The only oddity is that Enchanters can research Gravity flux (44 or 49 I forget), it is labeled enchanter only - yet Wizards can scribe (I did it myself and it's been done and noted many times at Graffe's). Can't say I've tried it with any other spells however as I was able to research all my own spells minus GF.
                    Slimb Hcarvul
                    Cazic-Thule

Comment

Originally posted by Verdandi
                      Q: What spells are available for research?
                      A: It varies. In general, int casters can research most of their spells for levels 1-50. Some of those spells are also available from vendors. There are lists available {insert links}. For levels 51-60, only spells that are not sold by vendors are researchable. None of the spells that are only available via parchment or runed glyph drops in Planes of Power can be researched.
                      There are several 51-60 spells that are researchable that are availiable on merchants. Malosini for instance has been on merchants forever...and we wish they'd take it off the drop list. Also Yaulp V for clerics is purchasable in SH. I wouldn't be surprised if there are others but those are the two that I know for sure.
                      ~Tudani
                      Retired Shamaness of Talisman
                      Tunare

"Measure twice, cut once."

Comment

Originally posted by slimb hcarvul
                        The only oddity is that Enchanters can research Gravity flux (44 or 49 I forget), it is labeled enchanter only - yet Wizards can scribe (I did it myself and it's been done and noted many times at Graffe's). Can't say I've tried it with any other spells however as I was able to research all my own spells minus GF.
                        I didn't test gflux specifically. I did test Levitate, and got the message "Your race, class, or deity cannot use this item." when attempting to scribe.

Will do some more experimentation this evening if I can find more research components.
                        Zallarenya
                        Coercer of the Underfoot
                        Druzzil Ro Server

Comment

I just recently researched Paralyzing Earth on my enchanter and it has CLR SHM ENC listed as classes usable. So I'd say any cleric, shaman or another enchanter could use the spell but any other classes, wizard for example, would have to research their own. (Get to work lazy )
                          Moonlilly

Comment

Working...
                          X