How bad is it really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad is it really?

I'm starting a new character to replace the one I deleted when I tried to leave the game. I want to do as many tradeskills as is reasonable again.

Pottery was sickeningly easy last time I did it before the nerf. What I want to know is how much harder is it now to get to 199 skill. Are we talking a few hundred pp hard or is it more like 10kpp hard?

The first time I bought everything except the zombie skins for the vials and didn't break the bank or my fingers. This is someone who GMed brewing so clicking isn't that scary but I want to know if I'm going to need another tube of Ben-gay or not

No, not 10k hard. You can still progress the old way with doing Poison Vials and just have the time sink of collecting pelts/skins. But many folks now use the Casserole Dish to hit 199 instead. All ingredients are merchant bought, so there is no farming... just a lot of travel. The nerf seemed to make the skillups less frequent. It didn't change the price aspect as you might have thought. Good luck!

Kaidian Blade
    Storm Warden of Death Misdealt
    Soldier, Tradesman, Knightly Gentleman
    ~Magelo Profile~~My Alts~~My Skills~
    "Tradeskillers do it more often!"

Comment

Depends on how high you want to go. It seems like once you hit 190s, you get 40-80 combines per skill up. Many times it's worse. Those are the combines either with tainted planar essence (make unfired planar steins) or imbued idols. Star ruby steins, ceremic band are just too much trouble to skill up or too expensive or space consuming.
      Raiya

Jinling

Comment

/shrug

Getting to 199 is tedious (VERY TEDIOUS!) but not expensive particularly. However, there is really NOTHING you can do to "throw money at" the skill to make it easier. Pretty much all pottery products above about 148 (Where large bowls trivial, as I recall) require some combination of celestial essence, enchanter work, farming or subcombines, which slows the process down. The same is true above 199, the parts are just more expensive. Oh, and skillups are apparently slow as hell relative to other trade skills now.
        Unmei, Coercer, Lanys.

Comment

OK, i started it.

Wis 163 - 499 combines, 70pp, to skill 122. so it's roughly twice as hard as before the nerf.

Now I'm farming zombie skins in SK since I don't like paying 2pp+ per combine for the next 26 skill ups. Time isn't of the essence with me.

Comment

Just did another set of combines again - 60 Opal encrusted Steins at 191 Skill with 237 INT. No skill up. Brings me to about 450 combines at skill 191 without eveer getting 192!!!!

For me at least, pottery is by far the worst tradeskill of all. Good thing i heard after 200, it gets faster - i want to Grandmaster it...
            Carighan Maconar,
            60th Enchantress on Solusek Ro,
            Member of the Namenlose Bruderschaft

You have become better at wandering around aimlessly (197)...

Comment

It doesn't get any faster after 200; at least not to the point I'm at, 222. The fast part was back at the different types of poison vials. I was practically giddy going through those points.

I have 260 wisdom and equip a geerlok. I average about 80 combines per skill up on either planar steins(now trivialed at 216) or opal encrusted steins. I've done only 30 ceramic bands so far, got nothing yet. The last point, 222, I changed over to star ruby encrusted steins and it was about the same, but I don't have a lot of luck making the steins.

I calculated that it would take about 112k plat to make 240 pottery from 222, messing with the figures a bit to count failures, but actually being optimistic, if I stuck to star ruby steins. I'm lucky to sell one star ruby encrusted stein a day, and would have to sell I forget how many over 400 at my server's prices to break even. I don't have the heart to destroy the star ruby steins yet, though. There are cheaper ways to do it, like using imbued idols, but they require getting hold of an extremely friendly chanter or, alternatively, paying a not so friendly one so much money for mana vials -- and perhaps a karana druid for imbued plains pebbles -- that it works out to be not much cheaper than doing star ruby encrusted steins, and much more time consuming to coordinate and bring together all in one place.

Comment

For me at least, pottery is by far the worst tradeskill of all.
                What other tradeskills have you tried so far?

The cupcake is DONE! 1750!!! And 7 Trophies! And a fishing pole! That summons beer! Woo! And Tarteene, the enchanting gnomish tinkerer of the 247th bolt and one neato Tinkering Trophy

Butcherblock Oak Bark Map, hosted by Kentarre!
                Reztarn's Guide to Finding Yew Leaves
                Frayed Knot - The Rathe

Comment

I'll attest to the slowdown of skillups after 200.

120 attempts on Opal Encrusted Steins at 201.... three skillups to 204. The market for these is nill on my server so the sellback price of 3pp vs 19pp to make each one... HURTS.

PTA factor of getting all those Celestial Essences and Blocks of Magic Clay too.

Kaidian Blade
                  Storm Warden of Death Misdealt
                  Soldier, Tradesman, Knightly Gentleman
                  ~Magelo Profile~~My Alts~~My Skills~
                  "Tradeskillers do it more often!"

Comment

Originally posted by Reflan
                    I'm lucky to sell one star ruby encrusted stein a day, and would have to sell I forget how many over 400 at my server's prices to break even. I don't have the heart to destroy the star ruby steins yet, though.
                    Interesting, I have no trouble selling 5 or 6 day unless someone is undercutting me (and then I just undercut him, I couldn't care less about the stein market, and even better I've found if I sit at 175pp long enough the competition will come buy me out). Perhaps some advertising would help, in addition to the PotC quest, they actually have decent stats.

Comment

Working...
                    X