Spider's Bite Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider's Bite Question

So, its not exactly a tradeskill question but I was hoping someone here might know before I try combing thru the morass of posts over on the Sony forums.

I have a level 55 Beserker, Im using Spider's Bite VI (which is the level 40 version).

Why do I get the buff icon (show's the name Spider's Bite Poison III) and proc message for Spider's Bite III? Id expect to get the icon and message for VI, wouldnt I?

Is there some logic behind it or is it an error?

Thanks.

Refer to http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=44506 and notice, that the effect name on the VI item, is III.

Yther Ore.

Comment

mkay

Yeah, I understand that is what it is. Lucy only indicates what things are, not if that's how they are supposed to be.

Comment

I don't know the details of the formula, but I'd assume, the proc's are level dependant, and based, on the level listed on the item. For example, Spider's Bite Poison III is the effect for both Spider's Bite V and Spider's Bite VI, where V is casted as a level 32, and VI is casted as level 39. I'd assume, since spell formula are linear, but the scale they're using from the lowest to the highest isn't, is why there is multiple names for the buff / proc. If it were linear, the buff and proc would use a single spell effect and name, as Distillate of Skinspikes do.

Yther Ore.

Comment

As Yther's link shows, the Spider's Bite VI potion casts the Spider's Bite Poison III buff on you, which procs Spider's Bite Poison Strike III. Yes they are different names and different ranks which makes it confusing to look at, but it works.

Comment

so

Mukkul that didnt really address the question at all, only restated the parameters of the original question and Yther's first post. Yther's second post was more insightful into probable cause. Thank you.

That lead me into realizing that each level of effect is applied to 2 versions of the potion. For example:

Spider's Bite I = Spider's Bite Poison I (cast 15 as 12)
            Spider's Bite II = Spider's Bite Poison I (cast 20 as 23)
            Spider's Bite III = Spider's Bite Poison II (cast 25 as 22)
            Spider's Bite IV = Spider's Bite Poison II (cast 30 as 33)

etc.

So Id tend to think Yther is right on about the proc amount varying by level. Anyone happen to have any idea of the proc amounts by level? Im curious now if you might be better off using a lower level potion at times and I lack a range of toons to be able to check it.
            Last edited by Grizabelle; 09-13-2009, 11:50 AM.

Comment

IIRC, they made it so potions too far below the level of the mob would be resisted alot/all of the time. That way say a level 85 wasn't using potion level 6 to do damage because it was cheaper then 14 or 15. Also, it makes sense that mobs would not be affected by low level potions, just like a weak mob casting on you has no effect.

Alliance Artisan
              Proud owner of Artisan's Prize.

Comment

oh, I wasnt think about that much a difference. Just looking at the difference between 1 level where it seems to make the effective casting level lower than the effective casting level of the next lower version. For example, of the ones I listed, if you can use III using 2 because as I understand it the effective casting level is higher.

Im not certain at all I understand that part of those tho.

Comment

Working...
                X