Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JC from 0-150.

Hey guys,

I have a zero in JC, and want to make my own Seals for my next Trophy attempts in brewing.

I have looked at a few guides, and they all look fairly complicated...

What would experienced jewelers suggest as the easiest way to go from 0-150?

I don't want to spend a fortune, but I don't mind spending a bit extra to skip a few steps.

Lets say I'm willing to lose 1k on this endeavor, after selling finished products back to merchants.

Least steps=best btw, if there is 0-50, 50-100, 100-150 in three steps I'd love it.

Thanks for your time
    Newb Tradeskiller Extraordinairé.

Baron Sorcerer of 62 levels and 2555 quads. Proud owner of the Sixth Shawl . Retired

I went from 0-180 yesterday on 1,700pp. I used this website for my skill-up path. http://www.valendor.org/gumkak/jewelcraft.asp Change the "How to make" drop down menu to "How to raise skill".
    I had my wisdom at 225 btw.

Comment

Thanks for the info

I found that site and printed it out shortly after I posted this morning.

I guess I'll just skip a few of them. He has you changing gems every 3pts or so in the 'fast and expensive method'... to me there is nothing fast about doing 30 different types of combines to go from 0-150, hehehe.

Was the 1700pp after you sold back to merchants, or is that net loss?

I'm hoping 700pp of that was from 150-180 because I really don't like spending a lot of plat on a skill I will never use other than to make an Artisan seal or 2.

Baron Sorcerer of 62 levels and 2555 quads. Proud owner of the Sixth Shawl . Retired

Comment

>>I have looked at a few guides, and they all look fairly complicated...

?????

????

Sorry, hehe, it's just that JC is the least complicated. Sure, there's a lot of steps, sure, but it basically amounts to one thing: sitting in a place with both metal and gem vendors and making whatever is next to go trivial (skipping those that use gems not sold by the merchants).

So print up a trivial list. Go to a place with gem and metal vendors close to each other. And do combines. Some people skip the pricy gem + low cost metal bar bits. Cuts down the risk of a few costly failed combines, not a bad idea, really. You can use a geerlok to raise success rate, less failures, more to sell back. And if you bother to enchant the metal bars, it sells back for slightly more, but not really worth spending the time to do.
        It's up to you, what you do will decide your own fate.
        Make your choice now, for tomorrow may be far too late. -- Twisted Sister

Comment

Sorry, replace 'complicated' with 'a lot of steps'.

I'll see what happens tonight and post the data tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

The cost was because of failures. Sell back is just a few silver/gold below purchase price. I could have had a geerlok equipped but I wanted skill-ups before success.
            I did try skipping a few steps but found failures went up when the trivial was more than 6-8 points above my current skill.

Good luck

Comment

You want to "Avoid the complication"?

Just do gold and the cheap gem, starting at 0, trivials at 146 or 153,I forget...

-Lilosh
              Venerable Noishpa Taltos , Planar Druid, Educated Halfling, and GM Baker.
              President and Founder of the Loudmouthed Sarcastic Halflings Society
              Also, Smalltim

So take the fact of having a dirty mind as proof that you are world-savvy; it's not a flaw, it's an asset, if nothing else, it's a defense - Sanna

Comment

Thanks Lilosh

Such a nice guy you are, 1 step to 146.

That aughta be cheap enough .

/em runs off to buy 500 gold bars...

Comment

Don't forget the 21 points you can buy from your guildmaster. =D
                  Uban the Wizard
                  Luclin (formerly of Stormhammer (formerly of Bristlebane))

Comment

Personally,

I universally forget about the 21 points from my guildmaster.

I don't know what I'm saving them for yet, but why train when it is at most 20 minutes of your time, and very easily done in any of the 7 skills.

I'm a master of 5 skills...

JC next...

Fletching... someday when I am really really really bored, hehe.

Comment

I did 0-175 on about 1500 the other day while I was enchanting brellium for smithing. I followed that chart linked above, but picked out 4 or 5 of the gem types and just used those, so I kept the extras from previous metals for the next metal. Spaces it out to about 10 points trivial appart that way instead of having to hit the vendor every 4 combines.
                      Trying to make useful stuff out of dead things since dec 99

Comment

I would NOT recommend starting with gold and malachite from 0 skill. You're looking at a 5% success rate in the beginning there, up until you get to skill 60 or so, and that's 10.5 plat each time you fail. Even if you're lucky and average three combines per skillup (not unreasonable with maxed int/wis at that level, but you're not likely to do much better than that either), you're blowing through about 1800 plat (even after sellbacks) just to get to 60.

If you're really determined to do this in as few steps as possible without driving up the cost incredibly, do each metal with malachite. Silver/malachite to 21, electrum/malachite to 74, gold/malachite to 146. Just be aware that you're not going to finish even this path out less than a thousand plat. (Even at 74, you're only looking at about a 10% success rate on gold/malachite. You'll lose more than you want to on this step alone.)

There's a direct correlation between how infrequently you switch gems/metals and how much money you'll lose. You can skip some on the low end -- you might want to do silver/malachite to 21, silver/jade to 40, then start on electrum/malachite to 74, electrum and either carnelian or star rose quartz to the mid-90's. At this point, you'd go about 35 or 40% on gold/malachite, and you've got 50 points to go. Using the same optimistic projection as before, that's 150 combines, of which you'll probably fail 40 to 50% (since your skill will be rising), so that's, say, a 750pp loss right here. And we were being optimistic. Trust me, you won't have lost only 250pp getting to the 90's. So you need to get higher before starting gold. I'd suggest electrum/topaz as an intermediate step, to 111. At that point, you'll be starting with a 50% chance or so on your gold/electrum combines.

So, the quick list if you didn't follow all of that:

silver/malachite -> 21
                        silver/jade -> 40
                        electrum/malachite -> 74
                        electrum/star rose -> 98
                        electrum/topaz -> 111
                        gold/malachite -> 146

I still don't think you'll make it in under 1000pp, but this is the fewest combines I'd try to do this in if you're concerned with cost. (If you ask me, your best bet is just to commission an already skilled jeweller to mount the gems for you. I'm sure you can find someone to do them for much less than 1000pp, and if you're never going to use the skill again, it's much more effective and easier on your wrists. That said, I can certainly respect the desire to do it yourself; it's the same thing that's driving me to get all of my skills to 200.)
                        Velurian
                        70 Enchanter, E'ci

Comment

I spent about 350pp going from 0 to 100, using Gumkak's chart and switching gems at every turn. I bought stacks of bars, and little piles of gems five or so at a time. I did this in Thurgadin, where you can easily bounce from bar vendor to gem vendor and back, and it took about an hour; I don't think it's meaningfully harder or more time-consuming than the 'least number of steps' method. I did take a hit of 24 wisdom by keeping my steins equipped throughout the process, but this was better than swapping in and out three pieces of gear every time I wanted to sell.

Getting to 150 would be more expensive of course; the electrum/gold changeover is ugly cashwise. :P
                          [53 Vicar] Frabbens Donutbringer (Halfling) <Emerald Alliance>, Lanys T'Vyl
                          Grandmaster chef of Bristlebane; destitute master tailor (190)

Comment

I ended up camping the AC last night instead, my feet never have moved very fast . Did get the ring after 4 hours, not too bad... if it wasn't the 5th time I had been there that long.

Shoulda brought combines, there was a lot of downtime.

Anyhow, guildie will make me a Seal for 4k, considering the slim profit there and work it would take to make my own, I accepted.

Haven't given up JC yet though, someday for a quest or out of boredom I will master it .

Comment

Working...
                            X