Bacon!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacon!

There are a number of new recipes (I suspect 4) from the New Year's 2011 Event. Recipe pages (which are no drop, and can be scribed) drop rarely from the locked chest in the "Time for a Change" group mission. The chest can also contain the food and drink produced by the recipes. The most common contents of the chest are 1-3 Cured Bacon. Note that in order to open the chest, you must have the 10 minute duration buff "Lucky" from the New Year's 2011 solo task "All You Need is Luck". The 6 hour cooldown on this item limit my ability to provide too much information about drop rates. Notably, I do not know if the presence of recipes in the chest has skill requirements for the person opening it; I have only received recipes from my artisan character, but the small sample size means that is a possible coincidence.

Cured Bacon
    All/All - SMALL - Weight 0.7 - Stackable (20)
    This is a meal! (18)
    Str +3, Dex +3, Sta +3, Cha +3, Wis +5, Int +5, Agi +3
    HP +4, Mana +12, End +17
    Sv Fire +4, Sv Dis +4, Sv Cold +4, Sv Magic +5, Sv Pois +5
    This item can be used in tradeskills.

The text of the recipes I have received implies that it is possible to craft Cured Bacon. I have no idea what that recipe might be. So far, all my bacon has been looted from the chest, as described above.

Chocolate Bacon Recipe
    NO TRADE - SMALL - Weight 5.0
    ~ Chocolate Bacon ~
    A forbidden combination, smokey bacon with milk chocolate.

Cook up or purchase some cured bacon. Apply a thin chocolate coating to the meat, and add an extra bottle of milk and cup of sugar. Place in oven and cook it up, letting the chocolate melt into the meat. Enjoy.
    Chocolate Bacon
    All/All - SMALL - Weight 0.4 - Stackable (20)
    This is a meal! (11)
    Str +6, Dex +6, Sta +6, Cha +6, Wis +10, Int +10, Agi +6
    HP +13, Mana +21, End +21
    Sv Fire +8, Sv Dis +8, Sv Cold +8, Sv Magic +9, Sv Pois +9
    This item can be used in tradeskills.

Baking (trivial 202): Cured Bacon, Chocolate, Bottle of Milk, Cup of Sugar; in any Oven or equivalent.

Chocolate Bacon can also drop in the locked chest, but is much rarer than the cured bacon. I have absolutely no idea what could be made with this, but it does have the used in tradeskills tag, so I suspect a third level of bacon food.

Bacon Soda Recipe
    NO TRADE - SMALL - Weight 5.0

Teaches the recipe for Bacon Soda, as might be expected.

Bacon Soda
    ALL/ALL - SMALL - Weight 0.7 - Stackable (20)
    This is an enduring drink! (60)
    Sta +4
    HP +25, Mana +25
    Sv Pois +10

Brewing (trivial 202): Cured Bacon, Cup of Sugar, Soda Water, Bottle, Cork; in any Brew Barrel or equivalent.

I do not know if this can drop in the chest. It does not have the tradeskill tag, so it appears that Bacon Soda is solely an end product.
    Last edited by Lubal; 12-30-2010, 11:55 AM. Reason: chocolate bacon recipe info added
    Lubal - 75 Iksar Shaman - Luclin/Stromm as of 12/18/2010:
    Alchemy 300 M3 T7 - Baking 265 M2 T5 - Brewing 273 M3 T5
    Fletching 243 M3 T4 - Jewelcraft 300 M3 T6 - Pottery 231 T4
    Research (Priest) 54 T1 - Smithing 300 M3 T6 - Tailoring 214 T4
    Salvage 4/6
    Alcohol Tolerance 136 - Begging 176 - Fishing 71

I can confirm that Bacon Soda can also appear, rarely, in the locked chest. Still no sign of the cured bacon recipe (if it exists), nor of whatever you make using chocolate bacon.

EDIT: Additionally, either the recipe pages are mandatory, or there are minimum skill requirements on these combines. My ranger, with the powerful Brewing skill of 6 (!), and no recipe scribed, receives the following message when attempting Bacon Soda: "This seems correct but something is wrong. Perhaps you need to know something more in order to combine this."
    Last edited by Lubal; 12-28-2010, 06:45 PM.
    Salvage 4/6

Comment

Originally posted by Lubal View Post
      Additionally, either the recipe pages are mandatory, or there are minimum skill requirements on these combines. My ranger, with the powerful Brewing skill of 6 (!), and no recipe scribed, receives the following message when attempting Bacon Soda: "This seems correct but something is wrong. Perhaps you need to know something more in order to combine this."
      That message means that the recipe page is required to be scribed in order to do the combine. You cannot "experiment" to discover that recipe.
      Shawlweaver Sphynx on Cazic Thule
      Master Artisan Aldier on Cazic Thule

Comment

Having gotten a second Chocolate Bacon Recipe, I went ahead and updated the first post with that information. If I see the Bacon Soda Recipe again, I'll quote its text. I remain convinced that a recipe is out there to make the actual Cured Bacon itself. The Festive Fortunate Treats book sold on the Garuf Odenburgh (with instructions for the two non-bacon quest recipes) has EventNewYears001 as its text file. The Chocolate Bacon Recipe has EventNewYears003, and the Bacon Soda Recipe has EventNewYears004. If anyone ever finds them, the recipe to make cured bacon should be EventNewYears002 and whatever takes Chocolate Bacon as an ingredient is probably EventNewYears005.

Not that that helps us find them in any way, mind you. Has anyone else seen these recipes at all, or am I doing something funny somehow?
        Salvage 4/6

Comment

I can confirm there's a recipe for the "Cured Bacon" in the chest; it needs to be scribed.

1x "Cured Bacon" = 1x "Chunk of Meat" + 1x "Allspice" + 1x "Ground Pepper" + 1x "Rock Salt". Trivial is 135.

The result is as described in the initial post.

//HSishi

Comment

Yay, finally got the Cured Bacon Recipe to drop.

Cured Bacon Recipe
            NO DROP - SMALL - Weight 5.0
            ~ Cured Bacon ~
            A secret special recipe for delicious bacon.

Collect chunks of meat that can be used in the curing process. Rub the chunks of meat with rock salt, ground pepper, and allspice. Set an oven at low temperature and prep it for meat smoking. Then, place the meat in the oven.
            Uploading to Lucy confirms that this text is EventNewYears002. So now, the only thing missing is whatever you do with chocolate bacon, assuming that tradeskill tag is not an error. I wish I could say either way, but these recipes are rare enough, that there's really no way to know unless someone trips over the next recipe drop.
            Salvage 4/6

Comment

Working...
            X