Draught of the craftsman doesn't work as advertised

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draught of the craftsman doesn't work as advertised

Just thought I'd give everyone a heads-up: The draught of the craftsman does NOT "give a 100% chance to salvage components from failed tradeskill attempts" (which is the description that the Marketplace and Sony's knowledge base give of the potion).

I bought exactly enough components yesterday to make 10 unexpanded tailored legendary backpacks (10 fantastic animal pelts, 20 fantastic silks, 30 dream dust, 10 reinforced filaments, and 10 tailored backpack patterns). I then bought a draught of the craftsman from the marketplace, drank it, and began my run at making the bags.

Imagine my surprise after only 7 successes to be told that I was missing components required to make a bag. I checked my inventory, and sure enough, after my 7 successes, I had 2 each of pelts, filaments, and patterns (so I lost one of each), 3 silks (so I lost 3 of those), and 1 dream dust (for a loss of 8!). I then scrolled back and scrutinized the result messages from the failures, and found one instance where only one silk was returned rather than two, and another instance where only two dream dust were returned (each with a separate message) rather than three. I've got screenshots of those two failure/return message sets, and obviously, the whole thing is in my log.

I've /bugged and /petitioned this, and I've received one response to my petition already, which said, essentially, "the draught of the craftsman provides a 100% INCREASE [emphasis added] to your salvage rate, so if your salvage rate was 25%, then the draught would make it 50%. kkthxbye.", but that can't be correct, because I don't have any salvage AAs (I don't have the luxury of spending AAs on nicities like tradeskills, other than NTCM), and a 100% increase to zero is still zero. And even if that IS correct, it's not what the description says.

So...I'd advise everyone to steer clear of the draught of the craftsman either until it's fixed or until the description of how it works is corrected. I'll post a follow-up here once the situation has come to a close one way or another.
    Ironic Disposition
    Half-Elf Paladin, Saryrn (not Bertox nor Mithaniel Marr, no matter what SoE says)
    300 baking/brewing/fletching/jewelcraft/pottery/smithing/tailoring/research
    300 alchemy (alt)
    300 tinkering (alt)

Originally posted by the Market Place:

Draught of the Craftsman
    Category: Potions

This draught will give a 100% chance to salvage components from failed tradeskill attempts for two hours.

Price: 1000 SC
    Petition again - the GM that responded to you previously was incorrect.
    Mikaal Drazzminius
    Tier'Dal Necromancer
    Rodcet Nife by Birth / Quellious by Merger / Povar by Re-Merger

Master Artisan
    Necrotalk Admin
    EQ Traders Super Moderator
    EQ Magelo Advisor/Moderator

Comment

Yeah, I went into the petition and submitted a reply, but as of a few minutes ago, there hadn't been an update. I'll be home in a couple hours and will be able to log my main on to see if something's shakin' in-game.

For what it's worth, after this happened, I told everyone in serverwide.eqtraders about it, and someone by the name of Kellan (iirc) on Drinal said that there's a known bug with the code that causes things that are percentage-based to be off by one percent (so, something that's supposed to provide a 100% increase only provides a 99% increase). This would explain why I had a huge ratio of returned stuff but didn't have a 100% return rate.
      Last edited by ironic42; 11-29-2010, 01:17 PM.
      Ironic Disposition
      Half-Elf Paladin, Saryrn (not Bertox nor Mithaniel Marr, no matter what SoE says)
      300 alchemy (alt)
      300 tinkering (alt)

Comment

Okay- update. They ended up giving me another draught as well as refunding the plat I spent on mats, so I bought replacement materials, drank the draught, and successfully made my last 3 bags with no losses due to failure (but then again, I only had maybe 20 failures across the 3 bags...on my first run, I had probably 30 fails in between the first success and the second).

So, if you're going to do a big run of high-risk combines using a draught, document everything and then if you have failure losses, /petition, and they'll likely hook you up. If you can't live with the possibility of temporary losses due to failure, then you probably have to wait until there's an official notification that the draught has been fixed.
        Ironic Disposition
        300 alchemy (alt)
        300 tinkering (alt)

Comment

Nice! Gratz!!!
          Mikaal Drazzminius
          Tier'Dal Necromancer
          Rodcet Nife by Birth / Quellious by Merger / Povar by Re-Merger

Master Artisan
          Necrotalk Admin
          EQ Traders Super Moderator
          EQ Magelo Advisor/Moderator

Comment