Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EQ to offer Free 2 Play (F2P) starting in March 2012

Early March signals beginning of EQ F2P

On March 18, 2012, Everquest will turn 13 years old. As such, it is the longest running paid MMORPG still in service.

This morning, Everquest Executive Producer Thom Terrazas announced that beginning in early March, Everquest will be free-to-play. According to Terrazas, this move is intended to make the game more accessible to every type of player.

Players who log in after the change will receive a welcome pack. Amongst other things, player will receive a unique Mercenary to fight by the player's side, Bayle Marks and Experience Potions.

Quoting from the Official Announcement:

We, the EverQuest dev team, are very excited about this new flexible system. Free-To-Play is the best fit for EverQuest and we are looking forward to supporting the game and our dedicated fans for years to come. This is a great year for everyone associated with EverQuest and SOE. We think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what's coming in 2012.

One last note, we will be doing a Community Webcast on Thursday February 2, 2012 covering all of the exciting free-to-play details.

We will continue to bring you further news and information about this development as its available.
    Mikaal Drazzminius
    Tier'Dal Necromancer
    Rodcet Nife by Birth / Quellious by Merger / Povar by Re-Merger

Master Artisan
    Necrotalk Admin
    EQ Traders Super Moderator
    EQ Magelo Advisor/Moderator

From what I can gather, if you choose to continue with your monthly subscription, nothing will change. How they make content available in the future is anyone's guess though. But It doesn't seem like much will be different.
    Jinaabi Vah Shir - Bristlebane
    Smithing 300 7/7
    Tailoring 300 7/7
    Fletching 300 7/7
    Pottery 300 6/7
    Baking 300 7/7
    Brewing 300 6/7
    Jewelry 300 6/7
    Dagnora Drakkin
    Poison Making 300 7/7

Comment

Agree. For most of us that have a character over 65 or so, it would seem that the Gold is the only way to go anyway.
      Mikaal Drazzminius
      Tier'Dal Necromancer
      Rodcet Nife by Birth / Quellious by Merger / Povar by Re-Merger

Master Artisan
      Necrotalk Admin
      EQ Traders Super Moderator
      EQ Magelo Advisor/Moderator

Comment

My hope is that it brings back a few old names who are looking around out of nostalgia and then choose to stay. It's probably too much to hope that it will bring new blood in to the game but my fingers are crossed in anticipation!
        Egat the Dedicated Artisan
        Imperator of Phoenix Ascending, Erollisi Marr
        The Orc Pawn - My EverQuest Blog

Comment

I quit 6 months ago, was quite looking forward to dabbling in norrath for free. Having looked at what a silver player's entitled to, I think I may be disappointed but we'll see.

Comment

It's somewhat disappointing that some returning players who are unwilling (or unable) to subscribe have the expectation that they can use/do everything they could with a regular subscription and then proceed to torture those of us who do still have regular subscriptions with their whining. I think "returning" players should think about starting new characters and enjoying norrath within the limitations of F2P rather than constantly complaining about not being able to use clickies on gear that's six years old and weaker than defiant anyway....this is the primal scream room right Come back, toy around with a new toon for a little bit, decide you want to come back with a paid subscription and work on your original toon. Oh and another complaint I don't want to hear..."I can't catch up, there's no sense in coming back". Between hot zones, potions, lesson of the devoted (if you have the time in previously), etc. it's quite easy to gain levels and AAs and if you have just a few people to run with, the gear will come too.

Welcome back
            Last edited by Aanuvane; 03-18-2012, 07:36 AM.
            Aanuvane Bristlecone - Druid - Povar via Quellious via Rodcet Nife
            AKA Muertenie, Melodee, Orelinde, Nounie, Gnomess, Cininea Ashryn, Mairede or a host of additional alts. Maybe also be found on Rabon, Kynsh or Atracker.

Comment

It got me back in the game and yes, I went gold.
              Draggar De'Vir
              92 Assassin - Povar

Xzorsh
              57 Druid of Tunare - Povar
              47 Druid of Tunare - Lockjaw

Hark! Who is that, prowling along the fields! It is Draggar De'VIr, hands clutching two hardened pitas! He cries gutterally: "In the name of Thor the Mighty, I hereby void your warranty, and send you back to God!!!"

"No one can predict the future, so we all should eat our desserts first!" - Gaye from 'The Maelstorm's Eye" (Cloakmaster's Cycle book 3)

Comment

I have returned as well, you'll find me in Blackfeather, milking AAs with the bears, if they're open
                Zuklaak - 62 Shadow Knight

Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an axe

Comment

Working...
                X