A mind is a terrible thing to lose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A mind is a terrible thing to lose

This is not a criticism of the change, as I understand the need for it and approve of it. It is simply some random muttering about a triumph, and an error I made.

I have seen many Spongy Loams drop, but for fairly obvious reasons, they are desireable, both by those who want them for the creation of armour and symbols, and by those who see them as a fast source of income. As a result, I had never managed to win a random on one in a group, and I am far too cheap to pay the tens of thousands of plat people want for the things. Last night though, I was pleased to see one drop while soloing, and having no competition for it, I grabbed it and started plotting.

What does one make with a single Spongy Loam, after all. I certainly had armour slots that would be upgraded by the armour it makes, but with only one Loam, I pondered for several minutes, finally deciding that a chestplate would be the simplest solution, as it would be a direct upgrade to my present Elegant Chestplate. You see, I forgot something.

The process was not easy. I failed four times on the Template (Salvage is my friend) and was very apprehensive by the time I headed to Qeynos for the final combine. However, one click later, my Stalwart Stalwart Cuirass was complete and I admired it happily before heading to my guild hall for the ritual of augment changing.

Pulling the AC aug out was simple, and I had forgotten how cheap it was to remove the type 11 aug, so the Sublime aug I had been using popped out just as happily. You see, I was still forgetting something. I had only the one Loam, so it seemed logical that I would use the Sublime aug until I managed to scrounge up another Loam for the Venerable Symbol.

There was a problem though. The type 7 aug had switched over without issue, but the type 11 simply would not go into the new piece of armour. It did not take long for light to dawn that there had been the change. I knew it was changed. I simply had forgotten that I now needed a type 16 aug.

I have the new chestplate, and the AC on it is substantially better than the old. I have the old chestplate with better combat stats. It is just a matter of time until I find another loam, either in a group or solo, or out of annoyance buy one and make the aug, but for today, I mutter at my memory lapse and try to decide whether AC or combat stats are more important to my continued existance as an EQ tank.

Since you did ask the question, the AC is more important. I hope it doesn't take too long to find another loam.

Gorse

Comment

Don't have to use a loam to make the aug. I believe you can use loam, pelts or silks to make the augs.
      Seebo Steele
      82 Halfling Warrior
      Member of the 700 Club
      Member of Hand of Chaos on Cazic-Thule

Comment

Originally posted by SeeboSteele View Post
        Don't have to use a loam to make the aug. I believe you can use loam, pelts or silks to make the augs.
        Assuming I had a Tailor who had done the quest for the Venerable aug patterns.

All was eventually well though, as I found a Spongy Loam in the Bazaar for one third the normal selling price and it turned happily into an aug for me. I have since scrounged up four more Spongy Loam in my travels, two of them turning into armour pieces, one into another Venerable aug and one a painful failure.

Comment

Glad it worked out for you.
          Seebo Steele
          82 Halfling Warrior
          Member of the 700 Club
          Member of Hand of Chaos on Cazic-Thule

Comment

Sounds to me like if you've only had one failure on 6 combines you're doing waaaay better than most. At this point I've tailored myself nearly a full set of cultural, but lost about half of my marrows/spinners/loams to failures (mostly on augs). It was made up for though by someone selling 6 immaculate spinners and 2 immaculate marrows in the bazaar for 50pp each, which I quickly snagged.

Comment

Working...
            X