Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this possible?

Qurrgoth wrote:
    I got to 65 with 6 AA in 21 days /played. That included tradeskilling the 8th shawl (primarily with farmed components), doing the focus item quests, getting all but one of my epic pieces (crown), doing 40ish LDoN adventures, a few nights of overnight bazaaring, etc.

No powerlevelling, though, of any sort, ever. Only twinking was the cheapest horse, earring of solstice, and 2k worth of equipment.

Almost entirely solo:

1-8 Steamfont
    9-18 Field of Bone/Kurn's
    19-33 Echo Caverns
    34-40 Jaggedpine
    41-50 Oggok and Dawnshroud stonegrabbers
    50-56 Dulak, Nadox, and occasional others

Almost entirely grouped:

57-60 Velk's (farming for 8th shawl and cash for tradeskills)
    61-63 Mostly LDoN, a few sessions in tier1 or tier2
    64-65 BoT

Levels 1-20: water pet
    Levels 20-44: fire pet
    Levels 44-56: earth pet
    Levels 56+: Situational (mostly air)

Levelling my mage was even easier than levelling my monk (pre-nerf). Having basic twinkie gear helps some, but nowhere near as much as it helped as a melee toon. Knowledge of the game is what rules, though. I'm not a hardcore player or anything... I play 10-15 hours per week, I enjoy questing, and I don't raid much. Mages are just plain easy, though, if you can calculate and use maximum efficiency tactics.

I got this from the mage board (Mage Compendium)

The problem I'm having with it is he got his tradeskills up so fast (21 days played to L65 with 8th shawl, epic pieces etc)

From what I have read on this board it is very time consuming to do all these tradeskills, no? With farmed drops yet?

It's probably possible if you really know how things work and you are on a low population server.

Back in the day when I played a lot I power leveled up a twink to level 65 in 9 played days and did the shawl in a week (not sure how much played, maybe 3) mostly from bazaar sold tradeskill stuff.

So I guess if it's doable with power leveling, massive twinking and sinking cash into the bazaar in 12 days then it works in 21 days too without the extras right?

Comment

Possible... maybe...

"No powerleveling ...." ... Find that harder to believe.

The tradeskill at the minimum level to get decent success rates are quick and cheap. (see my thread on skills required in the quests forum)

If it is indeed the guys -3rd- 65'ish toon (he said this was easier than his monk twink) knowledge certainly can help and 20k worth of gear can't hurt either. (horse + earring + 2k misc)

He's certainly got a number of high level friends. And the LDoN was certainly NOT where he got either his epic or shawl pieces.

I wouldn't call him a liar... or say it's "not possible" ... but I think he's shading the truth about "powerleveling" in that while he got the solo exp to 56 he got a TON of help finishing the epic and shawl quests.

Someone told me that on our server one of the "uber guild" people made a brand new enchanter and got to level 65 with epic in one Real Life Week. I take that with a grain of salt. Since there are a FEW mobs required for the enc epic that are on 7 day timers. He'd have had to get them all, and even with help from one of the biggest guilds that would still take a lot of luck.

That being said I've gone from 52 with 1 aa to 65 with 33 aa in 40 played days and I've spent a LOT of that time not exp grinding. I acknowledge I suck at this game. So someone getting 3 times the exp rate I get is not out of the question.

21 days at 12 hours a week. 42 weeks... Yeah I suppose you could go 0 to 65/epic/shawl in a year. Especially with a good solo class. And absolute dedication to exp grind.
      In My (Not Always) Humble Opinion, except where I quote someone. If I don't know I say so.
      I suck at this game, your mileage WILL vary. My path is probably NON-optimal.
      Private Messages attended to promptly.

Comment

I find one thing hard to believe.

No twinking other then his 2k, and the horse and earring?

I call BS.

There's no way he could have camped the spells he needed without buying him on his main. :-)

I have a chanter who I got to 51, with no Powerlevelling, in 7 days played, though. I wouldn't dream of subjecting any group to him, though.

-Lilosh
        Venerable Noishpa Taltos , Planar Druid, Educated Halfling, and GM Baker.
        President and Founder of the Loudmouthed Sarcastic Halflings Society
        Also, Smalltim

So take the fact of having a dirty mind as proof that you are world-savvy; it's not a flaw, it's an asset, if nothing else, it's a defense - Sanna

Comment

I have a chanter who I got to 51, with no Powerlevelling, in 7 days played, though. I wouldn't dream of subjecting any group to him, though.
          LIAR! (just kidding )

Lilosh I assume you twinked tho?

I've been playing by mage for maybe about 40 days played.. L52.. heh I cant picture doing it any faster.. I just cant. Oh well guess I suck at this game too Itek hehe

I wonder how long it would take totally untwinked.. but with the knowledge of the game that most people have.

I should try it some time. Will let ya know in a few years.. lol

EDIT: OK I officially suck at this game.

I have a little chanter on another server (L13 1.2 days played lol). A couple months ago I met another chanter who seemed to be anoob.. showed her where PC was etc etc..

I just logged on and saw her on my friends list.. LEVEL 50!! hehe Oh well..

It's the journey right? I dont mind taking my time.
          Last edited by Shinianad; 11-28-2003, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Whats the point?

It took me nearly 22 months to get to Level 65.

My Magelo
            Grandmistress Baker of Antonius Bayle, And owner of the Grandmasters Spoon

Comment

*grin* slightly under a year /played on asti and he's still 61 (i think was 45 for about a year or so)

as for lyessa, she raced on up to 49 in about a month or two (for me that is racing) then got started in tradeskills and has been stuck at 51 ever since

i just enjoy doing so many other things than merely xp grinding. such as quests, tradeskills, finally accepting rez requests to hush people up, and poking around in zones i know i shouldn't be in (btw, a 26 ranger dies extremely fast when invis drops in maiden's eye)

Comment

/agree Soul. I've been playing since '99, and I'm STILL not 65 yet

Comment

3 years, 11 months playing... 265 days played time on main alone (no bazaar vendor-bot time)... level 65, 46 aa... shawl... epic... missing 3 spells not ldon, 6 spells total... tradeskills started my first week playing, and at the levels below.... and amazingly, i still have fun every time i log in. Guess i'd rather play, than be concerned with keepng up with the uberlooters. Being able to achieve everything in a game in a short amount of time doesn't equal happiness.. it usually coincides with quick boredom.

Comment

I can't log on right now but I know I have around 60 days played, I'm a cleric, no soloing just grouping, have 8th shawl, epic, level 65 and 98 AA points....I do have vendor bot time and times when I just ran around doing nothing.... I have all but two of my tradeskills at 200 or above, the other two are over 180, my pottery is at 240....I have also powerleveled other characters for weeks at a time with this character.... it's not that hard, I would say if determined you could easily do what has been claimed in the time stated if you were determined enough...

I guess I'd edit and talk about LDON since original poster did, I've gotten around 50 aa in ldon, 123 adventures, 115 wins...

Qutie!

Comment

Guys, It seems as though this thread was started to discuss the possibility of this accomplishment.

Might I ask that we avoid rehashing the same "I don't understand the appeal of powergaming" that a very large number of threads seem to devolve into?

Please let me know if this post somehow seems harsh, as It wasn't intended in my usual sharp manner,

-Lilosh
                      Venerable Noishpa Taltos , Planar Druid, Educated Halfling, and GM Baker.
                      President and Founder of the Loudmouthed Sarcastic Halflings Society
                      Also, Smalltim

So take the fact of having a dirty mind as proof that you are world-savvy; it's not a flaw, it's an asset, if nothing else, it's a defense - Sanna

Comment

65 and 6AA in 21 days /played doesn't seem outlandish to me at all. I've heard of a number of similar accomplishments, but even more proof to me is my own little mage.

He's currently lvl 33, with 8days 5hours played. The only "twinking" he got was 2 opal steins in exchange for approximately 2kpp worth of tradeskill materials (spider/ling silks, lava rocks&mercury, wind stones&essence of wind, swirling mists, iron oxide, etc), which most people probably wouldn't label as a twink. He had KEI only once, and promptly died on the 2nd pull with it The closest he's come to being powerlevelled was grouping with a similar level ubertwinked necro, but the actual xp rate didn't change much during those times, much to my surprise (the higher level mobs were offset by the necro's higher level, increased downtime, and my periodic deaths). Oh ya, did I mention he dies a LOT? And all unrezzed, too

I levelled him pretty slowly, staying in steamfront until low teens (~13) doing elementals, then to Lavastorm 14-16, then najena 16-22, SolA 22-~28, Elemental island in Twilight sea 28-31, and then assorted places including ToFS, Iceclad, and South Karana. My mage is also one of my "just sit online and talk to people" chars, since he's the only one with summoned food and drink.

If I can get a mage to 33 in 8 days of hyper-casual playing, wearing primarily newbie quest armor and cloth, a determined person should be able to get to 50 in far less time. With LDoN, I've found on my 50s char I generally get ~10% of a level per adventure, which would translate into approximately 10% per 2.5 hours. Doing that for 51-60, that would be 100 adventures, or 250 hours, or about ten and a half days. Those are pretty conservative numbers overall I think, allowing for a lot to go wrong and still come in under. 50-65 could doubtlessly go much faster in PoP, too.

The only point of contention I see is the amount of questing claimed to have been done. The 4-49 focus staves are a random drop, and they took me a few hours alone to acquire. Getting tradeskills up to reasonable levels for the 8th shawl, even ignoring component gathering time, is still a LOT of clicks, which takes time. And its claimed mostly farmed components were used, plus there's the farming for the shawl itself. The mage epic has fun aspects too, like the Quilimane camp, which can easily go 30+ hours. Sure, he could've gotten lucky on every single aspect here, had all the camped items drop rapidly and the RNG god loving his int for skillups, but it just doesn't seem likely.

I have no trouble believing the levelling aspects of the claim. But all that questing ... really does raise some questions.
                        Last edited by Dunthor Warsmith; 11-30-2003, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Please let me know if this post somehow seems harsh, as It wasn't intended in my usual sharp manner
                          Seems ok to me. What the original poster reported is at the edge of reasonable.

Possible as reported? Yes.
                          Most of the mage spells are researchable. All of the sub 57 pets are researched.

The enchanted velium bits route has removed all the velium from the economy (at least on my server), so its possible to make mad amounts of plat farming the stuff (and buy what important spells you lack) with a few nights in trader mode.

As for farming the stuff for tradeskilling, farming it with a mage is about as easy (maybe easier) as farming it with a shaman.

Comment

I can easily believe the levels part of it. I have a mage of my own who is currently level 57 with 6 AA, and it was *very* easy to get her there.

Not sure about the epic or shawl, but I guess if you're *really dedicated* and *really lucky* it could be done. Mage epic is a timesink and a half though. I have already spent at least 5 days played on it, and I'm only halfway through. Plane of Hate staff, Quillmane, Power of Fire, Dirt of the Underfoot... all of those are rare drops, and all have taken me quite a lot of time, some I *still* haven't acquired yet. Not to mention I've heard of other pieces (torch, wand, etc) being rare or hard to get, but haven't attempted any of them yet. I won't go into the shawl timesinks.

Doing all that in 21 days played? I'm leaning towards "not likely." But eh, stranger things have been possible.

(Or perhaps I'm just gullible?)

Comment

Yes, it's possible.

And that's an interesting definiation of not powerlevelling Lilosh

Comment

Working...
                              X