No announcement yet.

A fresh start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will do some research and start writing a charter to submit here for approval. Tradeskills will be the driving force behind the guild with an emphasis on a family atmosphere.
    Pottery 159 Tailoring 188 Brewing 170 Baking 178 Smithing 205 Alchemy 114, Fishing 35, JC 15, Fletching 0

Comment

Just some thoughts from someone who has seen far too many fantastic guilds go down in flames....

The key to having a long lasting, respectable, friendly guild is the leadership. There must be strong leadership that will make sure there are standards of behavior for members, and will enforce those standards as necessary. (No KSing, no flaming, no cheating, etc.)

There must also be a very clear policy for loot. As I see it, loot is the number one cause of death among guilds. Even if you don't plan to raid a lot, or not for a while till people get some levels, set up the rules NOW. They can be changed later if need be. If it gets put off entirely till later, the first time it becomes an issue can be the death of the guild.

A council of leaders can work if those people are very close and have a lot of trust and respect for one another. But ideally, there should be a single leader who has the last word on everything, for those issues where the council can't agree or there are complaints about the council itself.

Of course these are just my recommendations. But I really hate seeing good guilds go under due to a lack of leadership. I cannot emphasize enough how important this is, especially in guilds with more than just a handful or two of members. It could make or break you.

Good luck
      Retiree of EQ Traders...
      Venerable Heyokah Verdandi Snowblood
      Barbarian Prophet & Hierophant of Cabilis
      Journeyman Artisan & Blessed of Brell
      EQ Players Profile ~ Magelo Profile

Smith Dandi wipes her sooty hands on her apron and smiles at you.

Comment

I too would also like to make a new character and join the new tradeskill guild. I would not care to be an officer unless necessary, as I am an officer in my guild now, and that takes a fair amount of my time. I am not sure just what class or race to try, I have been almost every class/race combo available and do prefer a casting class of some sort. Also as far as a starting tradeskill, I would like to do either baking or brewing.

Please let me know how this goes. I am getting very excited. I have been playing on Povar now for over 3 years and am really looking forward to getting to know some of you.
        Galathner 54 Wizard
        Jewelcraft 250 (Have Eyeglass)
        Research 196
        Baking 135
        Tailoring 179
        Blacksmithing 132
        Pottery 154

Galathnur 60 Druid
        Forage 200
        Baking 242
        Tailoring 144
        Blacksmithing 124
        Fletching 189
        Brewing 265
        Pottery 195

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Verdandi....

I may be Naieve (even if I can't spell it), but I think that is a bit drastic there.

My current guild has around 40 active players, with very seldom more than 15 on at once. We are a family, loot is basically CAWU, and if no one there CAWU it is FFA, never had any problems with it. We know that we aren't on a raid to Twink our alts, and accept FFA even if our lvl 30 druid could use the item etc. Some loot goes to guild vault/peri fund, but if anyone expresses an interest in an item no one else wants, it isn't a big deal at all.

We have done well with that, and are in Tier 3 zones, Tactics/HoH etc... with our friends and allies we may break into planes someday, but not someday soon.

Maybe if at some point this evolves into a large distant guild it will need a "council", and to award "points" to people who participate in raids etc. but to me that just seems petty.

If it devolves into something where we need to point to a "rule book" for basic common courtesy, it wouldn't be a guild I'd want to be a part of any longer.

P.S. Another post sneaked in while I was making this . I will be able to tinker, but I don't imagine we will have BD's enough to make a corking device for at least a couple months... a brewer would be good to have, but I think QAT will be the only thing we could make.
          Newb Tradeskiller Extraordinairé.

Baron Sorcerer of 62 levels and 2555 quads. Proud owner of the Sixth Shawl . Retired

Comment

Ok, like I said to DenMom

HERE I see this guild as a FAMILY guild first who all likes to do serous Tradeskills with raids later on in life to help people get tradeskill items and level up/explore.

If one person does not want to be the leader then I was thinking of maybe doing a dual leadership with Quinner Sparrowhawk if Quinn does not mind. BUT...I also agree with Verdandi about the ONE Leader and a high council of elders. The council should be 12 with one more for the "leader." The only reason I picked 13 total for the council is there are 12 tradeskills, Baking, Brewing, Fletching, Tailoring, Smithng, Jewelry Craft, Pottery, Poison Making, Tinkering, Alchemy, Spell Research and Fishing. The council member does not have to be a GM and should have a fair (Not supreme) knowledge of it; also they should be the collected voice for that sec of the guild. 13 officer’s mean there is no tie on a vote, and also the one leader has the last word, period. This is a little larger then I originally wanted the council but it should still work. (If anyone was a Babylon 5 fan think the Membarrie (sp?) Grey Council and that’s what I’m going for.) To start there can be a pre-selected council and then we can have a vote to see who should remain on the council. The council will hold for a few months and then voted on again, time TBA for revotes and all that.

Also, the council will be the "Elder Officers" but there will be other Officers in the guild to help manage raids, items, looting, recruiting and other such items. As with any guild, the officers can not be every other person but we will try and maintain a healthy following for ease and fun. Remember people, this is a game for fun and we like doing this stuff.

Also, once the council is decided we should and will form the rules of our order. I do not want to start the application process until DenMom says yay or nay to the idea of the name.

So, brothers, sisters, who is with me? Who shall venture forth into this new world? Who will stand at my side and who will serve with me on the council? Let me hear you proclaim it! We are DenMom's Children!

P.S. I originally stated that I was thinking of playing a Wood Elf Druid and use Cultural Tailoring and Fletching but I have always played a Hybrid (Ranger [Main], Beast Lord, Pally, SK) so I was thinking of maybe a BL again, maybe Iksar? Druids are fun but I don’t know how to really play one. Or should I just say this is the time to learn?

NOTE: Edited to rework the council idea.
            Enfiniti Starr
            Pathfinder of the great Rain God, Karana
            Ayonae Ro

Comment

It sounds fun. It would give me a place to try out a BST.

--Inyidd
              Inyidd Bullneck - Dorf Waryer - Morell-Thule

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every last second of it!

Comment

Just a thought, maybe include Research as a tradeskill, as it is coming into it's own now. So there would be 11 tradeskills.

Zuklaak
                Zuklaak - 62 Shadow Knight

Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an axe

Comment

/agree that frameworks are good. /agree also that flexibility must be allowed for.
                  /agree about Research as tradeskill. ^_^ (esp if i end up being an int caster, which i'm not familiar with. ^_^ )

Presuming I am in the country when NewServer goes live, I offer myself up as candidate for officorial position, should need arise. (As credentials I offer that I am currently leader of AWL on sullon.) Inasmuch instant direct leadership, rather, i am good at managing things. (noo! not the dreaded 'middle management' term! ^_^) Item flow, who wants what, etc. At least, *I* think i'm good at it..... ^_^

Enfiniti - I am rather partial to the idea of a council, but here are my thoughts, just for... more thinking. ^_^
                  A) Council positions should not be totally-permanent,
                  B) Officer opportunities should extend beyond Councilship,
                  C) A given Council member should understand that just because she is Council-JC (for example) does not mean her word is be-all-end-all for anything in the guild regarding JC.

But the idea of a Council with one person as the quasi-temporary head of, say, Pottery, is rather a good idea. There's always someone you can go to who will most probably know the answer to your question. Someone who will always know what to do with such-and-such an item.

And it doesn't strike me that a lot of people here would come into conflict with ideas along the lines of that; we're generally pretty nice people here. But it's still good to set out guidelines, etc etc, in the beginning.

You know, sometimes I wish there were a part of the boards here that were organized in less of a direct linear fashion, and more like those older-style BBS boards, where you could have one sub thread of 'post here if you want to be such and such a class' or 'post here if you want to be considered for officer-something' or the like.

-- Sanna
                  *still crossing fingers that NewServer doesn't go up till at least September.....*
                  Mistress Tinkbang Tankboom - Ak'Anon, Tarew Marr
                  Gneehugging Chantaranga of the 66th Mez Break - AA:59
                  Assisted by Nakigoe Sennamida, Druidess of 65 Foraged Steamfont Springwaters - AA:8
                  Quartic, Darkie Wizzy of 52 Self-Snares - Best Crit: 1680.
                  [BK-210 // BR-250 // BS-203 // FL-200 // JC-240 // PT-200 // TL-200 ]---[ TK-179 // RS-182 // FS-165 ]-- Points: 1503/1750 -- Shawl: EIGHT and wearing it ^_^.
                  Icon by Kenshingentatsu

Comment

Just FYI, I edited my post above BIG TIME so reread it and let me know now please. Thanks.
                    Enfiniti Starr
                    Pathfinder of the great Rain God, Karana
                    Ayonae Ro

Comment

We need a druid, who's gonna be our port bitz?

Actually all kidding aside I have a level 30 druid/twink, and the learning curve isn't as bad as you'd think.

Basically grouping with friends I'd put a thorncoat on the tank, then snare what they are fighting, dot it, and if I had extra mana I'd throw in an occasional nuke. Then sit back and enjoy the fight, under level 20 you might get in there to melee a bit just so you get the skill up, and actually do a bit of damage.

Druids don't get many buffs, not nearly what shamen do, so you will need to keep sows/str/ac buffs fresh, not too much of a problem. If we have a cleric with us the same level all of the AC buffs are overwritten at the same level, twas annoying for me, felt useless a bit .

Anyhow, choose what you like, any group of 6 at that level, so long as someone can heal, will grow quickly. We might even level in SolA in our late teens to mid 20's to get away from the crowd in Paludal, and get LOTS of FS/Ore/gems for skills, early cashflow.
                      Newb Tradeskiller Extraordinairé.

Baron Sorcerer of 62 levels and 2555 quads. Proud owner of the Sixth Shawl . Retired

Comment

I see the best way to do tradeskills on a new server as powerleveling up first while making lots of cash, then doing the tradeskill right since you get to a point where you can make great items fast AND actually get the drops. Like it doesn't make sense to me to start dark elf smithing until you are killing shadowmen and elves en masse and have a large supply of needed stuff.

I've nickel and dimed it on a newer server before, its not fun and kind of backwards. Other people pass you buy and they just eventually buy their way to making stuff.

Not sure if even something like backpacks are a good idea, people bought them for storage on tribunal when I was small there, now you have trader satchels instead for bank storage. Hmm.. one plat or 50 plat or more from a player?

Aandaie 56 Druid's Magelo
                        Aaelandri 41 Cleric's Magelo
                        Prittior 39 Shadowknight's Magelo

Comment

I'd certainly be interested in this sort of thing. I've just recently gotten back into tradeskilling since I got lvl 65, and I think this sounds like a really neat idea.

I don't know that I'd be able to full-time it, as I still have some pretty substantial requirements in my current guild, but I'd certainly give this a go at least part-time

Right now I play a HIE mage doing all trades, I'd consider an enchanter of some kind to make some of the trades easier, and I don't have a *favorite* trade, but I guess I'm partial to brewing.

I'll keep checking back on this thread, to see if the plans are followed through, and if so, I'll see who to contact

Comment

I am interested in playing a dwarf rogue smith on the new server.

Comment

Originally posted by Enfiniti
                              (If anyone was a Babylon 5 fan think the Membarrie (sp?) Grey Council and that’s what I’m going for.)
                              BABYLON 5 !!!!!
                              Minbari Grey Council. The Minbari as a species were divided into the Worker, Warrior, and Religious castes. ("They build, you pray, we fight." Hm, sounds a bit familiar... "I fight, she mezzes, you just HEAL ME!") Each caste had Three Grey Council members, and one of the Nine was made 'leader' somehow. I forget atm if they actually ever SAID how leadership was decided, I always saw that it seemed to be rather assumed.

heh, sorry, I love B5.

==================

a perpetually editing list of who's volunteering to be what.

L-candidates
                              Quinner
                              Enfiniti
                              lilosh

O-candidates
                              Lilosh
                              Enfiniti
                              Sanna

Delfontes - Gnome Enchanter, for tinker and JC.
                              Iceblossom - eru SK?
                              Quinner - dwarf cleric?
                              Enfiniti - WE Druid
                              Lilosh - baker.
                              Zeralynn - human enchanter
                              Lazurus - likes melees over casters, but can 2box. Dwarf/High pally smith, DE SK (smith), WE ranger (fletch), Human bard (smith). Most likely shaman on 2nd not sure on alchemy.
                              Inyidd - beastlord, maybe
                              nuther - dwarf rogue smith
                              Sanna - whatever ends up needed of list: Eru INT, barb BLord/war, VShir bard/BLord/war, High INT/Cleric, Wood bard/druid, gnome INT/cleric, dwarf cleric/war, halfl. cleric/druid/war, DE INT/cleric, iksar BLord/necro/war/MONK.
                              Reynic - high mage, we druid, high chanter (brew, bake, tailor, pottery, smith, fletch, jc)
                              Vascha - Eru SK, DE mage, (Troll?) BLord.

more as i catch posts, yay for not much more work!
                              Mistress Tinkbang Tankboom - Ak'Anon, Tarew Marr
                              Gneehugging Chantaranga of the 66th Mez Break - AA:59
                              Assisted by Nakigoe Sennamida, Druidess of 65 Foraged Steamfont Springwaters - AA:8
                              Quartic, Darkie Wizzy of 52 Self-Snares - Best Crit: 1680.
                              [BK-210 // BR-250 // BS-203 // FL-200 // JC-240 // PT-200 // TL-200 ]---[ TK-179 // RS-182 // FS-165 ]-- Points: 1503/1750 -- Shawl: EIGHT and wearing it ^_^.
                              Icon by Kenshingentatsu

Comment

Actually, now that I grok this idea a bit more, I would certainly be intrested in being a Guild Leader. I play enough so that I can be present for a lot of the things that come up. I can organize people, and dont mind setting a few rules.

Just food for thought, if you don't mind my saying so.

-Lilosh
                                Venerable Noishpa Taltos , Planar Druid, Educated Halfling, and GM Baker.
                                President and Founder of the Loudmouthed Sarcastic Halflings Society
                                Also, Smalltim

So take the fact of having a dirty mind as proof that you are world-savvy; it's not a flaw, it's an asset, if nothing else, it's a defense - Sanna

Comment

Working...
                                X