Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Web site to sell my trade goods

Heya, folks.

I've only been playing EQ since the end of October, but in that time I've gotten very heavily into tradeskills. I've gotten to Master level in a number of areas, and I'm approaching the point where I need to decide which area to grandmaster in.

Meanwhile, I'm basically broke! (Ain't that a surprise?) I need to start selling more of the goodies I produce, or I risk not being able to keep doing tradeskills.

I'm preparing a Web site to centralize my listings and let people see at a glance what I do and don't sell. I've posted a "sample" page to get feedback on the layout and design of the page. The prices are close to final, but not yet -- I still need to plug some costs into my spreadsheets.

Take a look and give me feedback. Feed me! I'm hungry for compliments, comments, and complaints! 8)

http://kyros.info

On a related note, how useful would you find it if I released the spreadsheets that produced the tables? It basically calculates my cost for each item based on the prices I enter, then lets me set a price based on X pp per AC. I still have to develop it further to account for things without AC, like baked goods or weapons.

Let me know what you think. Either email me at the address on the page, or post back here.
    Sir KyrosKrane Sylvanblade
    Master Artisan (300 + GM Trophy in all) of Luclin (Veeshan)
    Master Fisherman (200) and possibly Drunk (2xx + 20%), not sober enough to tell!
    Lightbringer, Redeemer, and Valiant servant of Erollisi Marr

Wow, very fancy.

Good luck on actually selling any of that stuff though. It's very difficult to sell anything that trivials under 200 in the first place, and people just go to the bazaar to buy whatever they want.

I doubt you can sell sets of armor until you can do cultural.

-Belanar

Comment

Website & Armor Prices

I REALLY do hate to burst your bubble but I will be simply amazed if you sell any of your armor at those prices.

Let me explain where I am coming from. I started smithing with my first/main character at level 8. By my mid-teens I was working on banded... I trivialed banded before I was level 20. All this BEFORE they lowered the smithing trivials. (God I wish I had trivialed Fine Plate before then too!) To be honest, I really haven't worked on my smithing much since then. I switched to Pottery when they patched in all the new recipes May 8th. I made a lot of money by doing so and I was only level 24. <-- Anyone who says not to bother doing tradeskills at low levels because you can't make money never tried!

Now, the reason I was able to increase my smithing to the point of 175 (banded armors old trivial) is because I dumped all the money I made once I started making banded armor back into the skill. At the time... and for a long time previous... banded armor sold for 1pp per AC. This meant you did rather well on some pieces and just scraped by on others. I sold full suits (not just full visible... a full suit) at a discount for 85pp (91 AC).

Apparently, someone told you (or you decided for yourself) that banded armor should be 1.5pp per AC... :roll: and of course you discount full suits slightly. Somehow I doubt that after the smithing trivials were lowered that the price of banded would go UP. Now, to be honest, your banded armor prices are not the worst of your prices. I will not comment on the Ornate Chain prices as I have never bothered with Ornate Chain but I suspect the trend continues.

I have to ask. Where did you come up with the prices for your Fine Plate?!? :!: I have heard of two different ways to price Fine Plate (there may be and probably are more)... the first method is 10pp per AC... the second is 75pp per MQ Folded Sheet required. I prefered the second method but even now it is outdated and over-priced. At this very moment there are traders in the bazaar selling Breastplates for 150pp and 200pp, Greaves for 150pp, and Vambraces for 50pp and 100pp (2 at this price). While I don't necessarily believe that these are indicative of the regular prices for these items (although they probably are), I can certainly say that your prices are waaaayy out there.

I did not mean to start this as a flame... I am afraid it may be perceived as such though. My point is only that you MUST do your homework before you come up with prices for your armor. I honestly cannot even begin to understand how you could price an item at 1,425pp :shock: when it costs about 60pp in MQ Folded Sheets, probably less than 30pp for the mold, and (currently in the bazaar) 25pp for the padding. A grand total of 115pp (plus the flasks of water). I made a full suit of armor for my mule yesterday and I spent less than 700pp (not including paddding as I had that on hand... so maybe 1kpp total... then again it took me a while to find Blocks of MQ Ore rather than Large Bricks of MQ Ore and surprisingly I failed on 3 or 4 combines of 3 Large Bricks even at 176 skill and a Geerlok). I WISH it were possible to make that back by selling one piece of armor, but sadly, it is not.

I would like to wish you luck in your endeavor. I agree with the previous post in that you will have a hard time getting website traffic since the bazaar is available. It may have been a very lucrative venture before the advent of the bazaar as, qute frankly, NFP was a pain in the @$$. :evil: However, you should go back over your prices and adjust them as necessary. Also, there is no reason to list Patchwork armor as it would be highly unlikely you would sell it and it would not be worth your time if you did sell it. Also, the skins and pelts are not worth collecting (and are better used for Leather Padding when they are collected). :?

Sorry, this post got so huge... I had no idea I would write this much.

-Edit-
      Just wanted to say that I may find the spreadsheet useful... I dabble in all the tradeskills (Master in all but currently cannot seem to get Pottery over that 199 and into Grandmistress territory) and sometimes wish I knew how much various items were costing me.

-Krystala-
      -High Elf Magician-

Comment

You'd be lucky if some total newbie thought a fine plate bp was worth 200 plat, even colored these days. 1400 is like way... out there.
        They can get a crustacean plate bp in the bazaar for pocket change, which is far better.

Spiffy chart, though

Aandaie 56 Druid's Magelo
        Aaelandri 41 Cleric's Magelo
        Prittior 39 Shadowknight's Magelo

Comment

Oh, I know the prices are largely out of whack. I pointed out in my original post that the prices were off. It was more to test the concept of a site, along with the appearance. The prices for the most part are wrong; they're just numbers I made up before I knew the actual costs.

The exception to this is the banded armor. I'm doing a reasonably brisk business selling banded for between 1 - 1.5pp per AC. I tend to auction it to new or mid-range players in East Commons; I haven't tried other areas yet. It's not going to put food on my table, as the saying goes, but the extra occasional 100pp for a full suit is a nice boost, and it gets my name "out there" in the market.

Even in the bazaar, I can consistently sell banded for 1pp per AC. Every time I put up a few pieces, they sell within a day or two.

In general, I look for 50% profit on a full suit, adjusted to fit in the scaling of other pieces and types. That puts the prices as follows:

Banded: 1 - 1.5pp per AC
          (silver) Ornate: 7.5pp per AC
          Electrum Ornate: 9pp per AC
          Gold Ornate: 12pp per AC
          Platinum Ornate: 30pp per AC (platinum is EXPENSIVE! )
          Fine Plate: 14pp per AC

With Fine Plate at 14pp per AC, that puts it very close to the 75pp per sheet pricing.

I also offer to dye FP armor for 30pp a piece, including the cost of finding and making the dye.

Now, I'm not seriously going to include patchwork armor on the final listing. I'm realistic enough not to expect to make any sales off of it. I'm mostly interested in fine-tuning the pricing system and the spreadsheet I use to generate the numbers.

I'll update the page in the next couple of days and start referring people to it. Once I'm sure my spreadsheet ain't broke (I keep finding and fixing odd bugs in it), I'll post it up there too.

Thanks for the feedback, all! =)
          Master Fisherman (200) and possibly Drunk (2xx + 20%), not sober enough to tell!

Comment

OK, finally got around to updating the Web site. The new version isn't quite as spiffy as the "demo", but it's a fraction of the size to download and MUCH easier to update.

http://kyros.info

Pricewise, the prices for all tailored pieces currently on the site are final. Smithed armor prices up to Fine Plate are likewise final; acylia and shadowscream prices are made up just to fill something in. (I also have to go through and confirm the stats on the armor.) I know that some of the prices are out of line with the server standard, but my play time is limited, and it's not worth my time to make the pieces for less than this. And yes, patchwork armor is still in there.

On the back end, the system I've designed is based on an Excel spreadsheet. You plug in prices for things like silk swatches or metal rings, then it calculates your cost to make a particular piece. Pricing is set on a pp per AC basis for all armors. The spreadsheet then generates a JavaScript file with pricing info that gets downloaded and run locally on each user's browser. I've tested it with IE and confirmed it works; please let me know if it breaks with other browsers and I'll investigate.

And yes, I know the home page is as ugly as a ... well, as a swamp-dweller. I'm working on making that neater and easier to read.

Suggestions, comments, criticisms, sarcastic remarks, flames, and death threats are all welcome and will be routed to my inbox, /dev/null/, or to the FBI as appropriate.

Comment

Working...
            X