Etiquette question re foreign language servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etiquette question re foreign language servers

As of recently, some servers (Kael Drakkal, German; Sebilis, French) have been added that are officially not English language. They too each have a server forum here, though. Will it be considered rude to post in these forums in the languages of the corresponding servers?
    Lorinnor Gil-Forod
    Lvl 65 Ranger
    Sworn Companion to Meteora
    Eternal Flames
    Solusek Ro Server

It seems to me that if the server was set up explicitly targeted at a group that speaks a certain language, then that would be the language people should expect you to use in areas reserved for your server. That's just my own personal opinion, but I can't see that any other users would have reason to object. Course I'm accustomed to being unable to understand 50-80% of what is said on my own old server at certain times of day, so I might be more resigned to incomprehension than most.
    Retiree of EQ Traders...
    Venerable Heyokah Verdandi Snowblood
    Barbarian Prophet & Hierophant of Cabilis
    Journeyman Artisan & Blessed of Brell
    EQ Players Profile ~ Magelo Profile

Smith Dandi wipes her sooty hands on her apron and smiles at you.

Comment

I agree with verdandi. If the server is designed for a specific language, I dount anyone would have a problem not being able to understand whats being written.. However, that might make it difficult to keep things moderated :/
      December 2000 - July 2003

Comment

Just need to find a bilingual mod for those servers. (:

Comment

Aye, on the old boards, one of our first posts to one of the new forums was in French. Although I am extremely rusty, due to not using it for 2 decades, I definitely did not find it "rude", since those are servers specifically set up for them.

Anyway, I suspect we will have people posting in multiple languages on those boards, and can only hope that they self-moderate. As time goes on, we may find a bilingual/multilingual member that keeps an eye on those forums for us.

Comment

I will keep an eye on the Kael forum till Niami finds someone for the job.
            Last time I used my german was in highschool so it will be uhm....interesting :shock:

Comment

French speaking

I am Canadian, originally from Quebec and thus speak/read/write French fluently, if you need a volunteer to help with the Sebilis board.

Mon addresse pour le courrier électronique est {address removed to protect you from spam after mail was sent ... merci beaucoup!}

Master Artisan Maevenniia the Springy Sprocket Stockpiler of the really long name
              Silky Moderator Lady
              Beneath the silk, lies a will of steel.

Comment

Hmmm ... this made me realize that it would be good to have translations of the Marketplace-specific rules to post in those forums ... http://mboards.eqtraders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6

{ponder}

Comment

A German translation of these rules, preserving the meaning best I can, but slightly loose on the wording to make it decent German:

Die Marktplatz-Foren sind zum Handeln mit selbstgefertigten Waren da, auf dem Server, auf den sie sich beziehen, und um seine Dienste dort als Handwerker anzubieten, oder sich der Dienste eines solchen dort zu versichern.

Ihr seit eingeladen, hier zu posten, wenn ihr ein Handwerk beherrscht, sei es um Gegenstände zu verkaufen, oder um anzubieten, solche für andere zu fertigen. Postet hier wenn ihr die Rohmaterialien dafür verkaufen oder eintauschen wollt, oder wenn ihr selber welche sucht.

Andere Dienste, wie Lieferungen, Hochzeiten auszurichten, Liedermachen, und andere Dinge die hier auf EQ Traders Corner schon immer angeboten wurden, sind ebenfalls willkommen.

Handel und Tausch von "phat lewt", also der Beute-Items, von Characteren oder Benutzerkonten und Handel zwischen Servern, werden in diesem oder anderen Foren hier nicht geduldet. Posts mit derartigen Inhalt werden gelöscht, und führen wahrscheinlich dazu, daß der Benutzer, der sie gepostet hat, von diesen Foren ausgeschlossen wird."
                  Should the Board software have trouble with the Umlaute, here is a transcription:
                  ae for "ä"
                  oe for "ö"
                  ue for "ü"
                  [/quote]
                  Lorinnor Gil-Forod
                  Lvl 65 Ranger
                  Eternal Flames
                  Solusek Ro Server

Comment

Originally posted by Lorinnor
                    Handel und Tausch von "phat lewt", also der Beute-Items,

I positvely demand a german translation of PHAT LEWT.

*snicker* Dont disappoint me.

-Lilosh
                    Venerable Noishpa Taltos , Planar Druid, Educated Halfling, and GM Baker.
                    President and Founder of the Loudmouthed Sarcastic Halflings Society
                    Also, Smalltim

So take the fact of having a dirty mind as proof that you are world-savvy; it's not a flaw, it's an asset, if nothing else, it's a defense - Sanna

Comment

Thank you.

Can you also translate:

Posting to the Marketplace.

thanks you!
                      Ngreth Thergn

Ngreth nice Ogre. Ngreth not eat you. Well.... Ngreth not eat you if you still wiggle!
                      Grandmaster Smith 250
                      Master Tailor 200
                      Ogres not dumb - we not lose entire city to froggies

Comment

I'm getting senile ...

Kael = German, Sebilis = French and Venril Sathir = ????

Comment

Originally posted by Niami DenMother
                          Hmmm ... this made me realize that it would be good to have translations of the Marketplace-specific rules to post in those forums ... http://mboards.eqtraders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6

{ponder}
                          French translation:
                          Les babillards électroniques des communautés de chaque serveur qui sont trouvés dans la section nommée « The Marketplace » sont uniquement pour la discussion des métiers artisanaux et services liés au même.

N’hésitez pas de poster si vous avez des services ou des produits à offrir liés aux métiers artisanaux, ou si vous cherchez un artisan habile pour ouvrer un article. Vous pouvez aussi afficher si vous voulez acheter, vendre ou échanger des provisions.

Les services comme des services de livraison, des mariages dans-jeu, la création de chanson et d'autres tels services qui ont traditionnellement été logés ici sur EQ Traders Corner sont aussi bienvenus.

Les échanges/ventes de « phat lewt », et les échanges/ventes des comptes/caractères EQ, sont complètement inacceptables sur nos babillards. Tous les affichages dans ce genre seront enlevés et il est fort probable que l’afficheur se trouvera « Interdit » (banned.)
                          Ok, still at work so I am going home now so i can read and answer that email
                          Master Artisan Maevenniia the Springy Sprocket Stockpiler of the really long name
                          Silky Moderator Lady
                          Beneath the silk, lies a will of steel.

Comment

Originally posted by Ngreth Thergn
                            Thank you.

Can you also translate:

Posting to the Marketplace.

thanks you!
                            Need to know the context.

Could be:

Auf dem Marktplatz posten (click this button to post on the Marketplace)
                            Posts auf dem Marktplatz (re: concerning posting on the marketplace)
                            Jetzt auf dem Marktplatz (Curently posting on the Marketplace: )

Probably a few more ways to understand it, no 1:1 translation possible

And Niami, Venril Sathir is a British server, people there speak English like Americans, only a less mutilated form of it
                            Lorinnor Gil-Forod
                            Lvl 65 Ranger
                            Eternal Flames
                            Solusek Ro Server

Comment

Originally posted by Lilosh
                              Originally posted by Lorinnor
                              Handel und Tausch von "phat lewt", also der Beute-Items,

I positvely demand a german translation of PHAT LEWT.

*snicker* Dont disappoint me.

-Lilosh
                              Phädde Beude?

Equally disgusting, though thankfully heretofore unknown, and hopefully bound for oblivion soon...
                              Lorinnor Gil-Forod
                              Lvl 65 Ranger
                              Eternal Flames
                              Solusek Ro Server

Comment

Working...
                              X