Arrows and thrown weapons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrows and thrown weapons

Is there any rumor of an intent to make crafted arrows and thrown weapons have a point? My ranger is a woodworker for roleplaying reasons as much as anything, she has always made her own bow and arrows in various games, but it would be nice if they had stats, or if the 3 different types of arrows actually meant something.... I still make arrows for her and my guardian, and thrown weapons for my husbands monk, but from a cost point of view I have the sad realization that I'd be better off brokering the metal and buying them off an npc merchant.

I have HEARD (3rd hand rumor) that people who have parsed crafted arrows v. normal arrows have found the crafted do more damage.

Additionally, the crafted have different kinds, so if an enemy is hurt by piercing you can use a different kind than if they're hurt by crushing. IIRC, all merchant arrows are piercing.

Having said that, as a ranger and a woodworker I just use my backup quiver to summon a bunch of makeshift fulginates.

SFG

Comment

That would be good. I've made all three types on the assumption that there was a difference, but they aren't marked differently (at least, not that I've noticed so far, I'm up to feyiron/tier 4) so I wasn't sure there really was. I'll double check.

Comment

IF I remember right:

Rounded arrows are crushing (that one I know for sure)
        hunting arrows are piercing
        bodkin arrows are slashing

All of the above will give you skillups to ranged, and may give you appropriate type skillups as well (my crushing is fairly high considering/despite the fact I never use crushing weapons, just the rounded arrows)

All merchant bought arrows that I've seen, as well as the ripped/foraged ones that rangers can get for themselves, are piercing.

On that line, I would ASSUME:
        Throwing axes are slashing
        Throwing knives are piercing
        Throwing hammers are crushing

That's inference based on logic, I claim no actual knowledge there. I know a lot about arrows, and my monk occasionally uses crafted throwing stars - that's about it.. I don't THINK I've ever gotten a skillup with the stars so I really couldn't tell you what they are.

SFG

Comment

Originally posted by Serenya
          That would be good. I've made all three types on the assumption that there was a difference, but they aren't marked differently (at least, not that I've noticed so far, I'm up to feyiron/tier 4) so I wasn't sure there really was. I'll double check.
          If you read the descriptions it does specify what each arrow does. I've seen it there before. And it has been LU 24, not sure when you looked. But I know rangers from before the update that knew there was a difference also. They would need to grab the different types before raids.
          Dark Elf ~ 80 Inquisitor / 80 Provisioner / 212 Transmuter
          Human ~ 80 Dirge / 51 Armorer
          High Elf ~ 80 Warlock / 80 Jeweler / 279 Tinkerer
          Ratonga ~ 70 Necromancer / 80 Carpenter
          Froglok ~ 42 Ranger / 18 Weaponsmith
          Wood Elf ~ 44 Monk / 40 Woodworker
          Half Elf ~ 34 Paladin / 38 Tailor

Comment

Thanks for the info Kieroth! I'll double check Hyelaw, I could swear I had examined them when I made them without seeing any 'specs' so to speak but my Woodworker is only up to tier 4, she's 33 or so, so perhaps there are tier differences or perhaps I'm just blind, that's always possible too

Comment

Yeah, you have to read it thoroughly. It's not something they throw out with a +1 to slashing or anything. Mine's only tier 3. (I've been having a lot of problems leveling her, not sure if it's the race, or if I just suck as a woodworker, lol)
              Dark Elf ~ 80 Inquisitor / 80 Provisioner / 212 Transmuter
              Human ~ 80 Dirge / 51 Armorer
              High Elf ~ 80 Warlock / 80 Jeweler / 279 Tinkerer
              Ratonga ~ 70 Necromancer / 80 Carpenter
              Froglok ~ 42 Ranger / 18 Weaponsmith
              Wood Elf ~ 44 Monk / 40 Woodworker
              Half Elf ~ 34 Paladin / 38 Tailor

Comment

woodworker imho is one of the easier ones, although I haven't really done much since the revamp so it may have changed. Pre-revamp, you pretty much just make pristines of everything you want, do some writs (the insturments had LOTS of subs so were awesome for writs...) and sell totems. Totems pretty much always sell.

I remember someone saying all the woodworker stuff NOW pretty much needs leather, and at T6 and moreso in T7 that's kinda a pita - but otherwise WW is pretty easy. Just stick with it and you'll be fine

People like power regen and invis totems it seems more than anything else. Keep those in stock, along with a few of the other ones (I've never made a totem of any kind that didn't eventually sell...). Good cash - per item you don't make a whole heap of profit (kinda like a provie - you're making profit measured in silver) but the trick is selling in bulk - most of my totem orders are for 10 or more at a time, so it's a few silver multiplied by a lot of sales.

As far as I've found, the only profession better than woodworker for profit is jeweler. My provie does respectable, and a carp friend says mostly good things, but personally my jeweler and woodworker are the favorites. I also do fairly well with bucklers, people don't seem to keep them stocked and a lot of priests use them.

SFG

Comment

I would have to say bucklers are a pretty good seller too... as a priest, some of the rare ones are VERY nice.

As for Carpenters... being one, I generally make a little bit of profit so long as the market isnt saturated for that item (which it almost always is, nowadays). On rare items, I can make profit upwards of 50g when someone buys something like a cedar somethingorother for 75g. But thats them, for buying it instead of ordering one.
                  Barx Atthemoon
                  9/9 Crafters
                  Formerly Officer of < Mayhem > of Antonia Bayle
                  Raider in < Vigilance > of Crushbone

"Do no evil because it is a small one; do not leave a small deed undone because it is just a petty one." - Liu Bei

Retired:
                  Barx Atthemoon - Druid, Master Tradesman
                  Officer of Golden Eagle Trading Company
                  EQ Live - Tarew Marr, Once and Forever!

Comment

I figured out the problem with what I was seeing -- my ranger looked at the throwing items, and got the 'you must have a bandolier equipped' description, thus not seeing a 'useful' description. And my merchant looked at the arrows, and got the 'must have a quiver' description. Looking again at the arrows I indeed saw the more detailed, and useful!, description, when looking with the ranger.

Comment

um, it doesn't mater to me what I have equipped ammo never gives me any information as to what they do.... =(

Could you perhaps post a screenshot showing what the more informative screen looks like?

I just checked and my throwning axes say the same thing (this is ammo for a bandelier) whether or not I have my bandelier equipped.

I would really like to know what ammo does or if I'm wasiting my money buying lvl 40 ammo instead of the cheap lvl 1 stuff.....

Comment

Well, I do know that carbonite player-made arrows do a LOT more damage than store-bought iron ones, like around twice as much.

I DON'T know how much of that is the difference between T2 and T3 and how much if it is the difference between store-bought and player-made. I'd guess (hope) that it's a combination of the two, with tier being slightly more of the difference than where they came from. I haven't done any comparisons between store-bought and player-made arrows in the same tier, and I really OUGHT to be using feyiron arrows now anyway. I suppose when I run out of the ones I have, I'll pick up some feyiron ones.

But I solo most of the time, so without a meat shield, I pretty much only use my bow for pulling. That makes it hard to gather enough data to be certain what's going on.
                        Nerissa
                        37 Human Troubador / 36 Tailor

Aalinai [20 High Elf Illusionist / 34 Sage] * Pakul [12 Barbarian Paladin / 34 Alchemist]
                        Jasmyn [24 Halfling Warden / 40 Provisioner] * Cliabaip [20 Froglok Monk / 35 Carpenter]

Unrest

Comment

Working...
                        X