This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmuting FAQ

(The basic information for this post was organized by Hellfire on Permafrost, and is reprinted with his permission. Additional comments and clarifications have been made by 'Mum.)

Q. What is transmuting?
    A. Transmuting is the art of breaking down valuable items into componets. Those components are then used by any crafting class to create adornments. Transmuting is a secondary tradeskill that you can choose as a 2nd level (or higher) artisan, or as a level 10+ adventurer. (You can only do transmuting or tinkering as a secondary skill, not both on the same alt.)

Q. What can be transmuted?
    A. treasured, legendary, fabled and mastercrafted equippable gear (armor, weapons, shields, etc)
    adepts
    master spells

Please note the word "gear" up there as it is very important and often overlooked. Basically, if it is not something players can wear that is treasured or better, or if it isn't an adept/master spell/combat art, it isn't something you can transmute.

Q. What cannot be transmuted?
    A. Handcrafted items
    furniture
    consumables {food ,potions,poisons,ect}
    some quested gear (prismatic quest line rewards, claymore quest line rewards, faction-sold gear)
    containers
    collectables/tomes,language items,mounts
    heritage rewards (and other precious items sold by the Shady Swashbuckler)
    app IVs (ignore the treasured tag on them :P)
    any "no value" items

Q. What cannot be adorned?
    A. Any item with an "ornate" tag

Q. How exactly does the transmuting process work?
    A. When you hail the a transmuting trainer (Butcherblock Mountains docks, Kelethin, or Gnomeland Security in Steamfont) you will be given the option to learn the skill of transmuting. If you choose to become a transmuter, you will then be able to transmute items based on your transmute skill level. When you wish to transmute an item, use the Transmute skill found in your knowledge book, and your mouse cursor will now glow blue around the edges. Mouse over an item in inventory that you wish to transmute and, if the cursor stays blue, you can transmute the item. Click on the item and you will receive a confirmation box asking if you are sure that you want to transmute it. The process will start and about 2 seconds later. The item will disappear and a component will appear in your inventory. The item you wish to transmute must be within 5 levels of your transmuting skill. (See next for details.)

Q. What do I receive when I transmute an item and what are the items used for?
    A. When you transmute a item by destroying it you will receive a tier-specific item (based on the level of the item transmuted) that is used in adornment recipes. Each adornment recipe requires multiple components from the proper tier. The following are needed: mana, infusion, powder and fragment. Treasured adornments need powder and fragments, Legendary adornments need infusion, powders and fragments. Fabled adornments need mana, infusion, powders and fragments.

Q. What am I most likely to get when I transmute _____?
    A. Here is the type of component each type of item yields.
    treasured - either fragment or powder
    mastercrafted -either fragment or powder- rare chance for infusion (<5&#37; chance)
    legendary - either powder or infusion
    fabled- either infusion or vial of mana {rare for mana roughly 25 pct chance}

Note: there is a chance to pull 2 componets from a single item. For instance you can sometimes get a fragment and a powder from an adept 1 (But you cannot get multiples of the same component, such as 2 powder, from a single transmute).

Q. After something is transmuted what is done with the componets?
    A. Crafters of all types can make adornments with the components made from transmuting. These items can then be attached to weapons or gear to add a permanent bonus to the item. You cannot have multiple adornments on the same piece of gear.

Each tradeskill class has different type of adornments they can make, that will be located in "Enigma" books. For all classes but transmuter, these books can drop as corpse loot any mob of the appropriate level. Transmuters are able to buy the recipes for their treasured adornments, but then must look for "advanced" enigma books for the legendary/fabled transmuter-made adornments.

While there is an adornmnt guide on the main eq2.eqtraders.com site, here's some quick details:[list][*]Adornments are attached by the owner of the gear. Right click adornment, click Use, then mouse over the item you wish to attatch the adornment to.[*]If something has a prior adornment on it, the new adornment will overwrite the previous adornment. (The old adornment is lost.) [*]Adornments will not overwrite natural effects/procs the item already contains. (i.e., adding haste to a haste belt isn't likely to work )[*]Adornments cannot be removed for reuse, just replaced by another adornment.[*]Adornments cannot be placed on damaged gear.

Q. Can any level transmuter transmute any level item?
    A. No. You can transmute items that are up to 5 levels above your current skill level.

Details: Transmuters are bound by skill levels. A transmuter's maximum possible skill is based off of their primary tradeskill level or their adventuring level, whichever is higher.

As with any skill, you have a current skill and a maximum skill. You start with a transmuting skill of 1. If you are learning to transmute at craftsman 10, for example, this would show as transmuting 1/50. If you are learning to transmute when already a level 70 crafter, your skill will be 1/350.

To increase your current skill level up to your maximum skill level, you transmute items (if below skill 100) or craft adornments that are found in the Enigma of the Transmuter books, for a chance at a skillup.

Q. How do I figure out which level items I can transmute, when my skill is listed by raw skill, not level?
    A. Your transmuting level is your raw skill divided by five. (Drop any fraction). Then add 5 to find the maximum level of items you can transmute. Example: You start with a skill of 1, which allows for the transmuting of items of level 5. A transmuting skill of 20 would translate to level 4, (20/5=4). This would allow you to transmute level 9 (4+5) or lower items

Q. How do I gain skill points?
    A. When you are below Transmuting 100, and you transmute an item, there is a chance for a skillup. The chances of gaining a skillup are better if the item close to your current skill max. You may gain transmute skill points in this manner up to 100 skill points (which would be equal to level 20). Once you reach 100 skill points you can only gain skill points when you create transmuter-only adornments (tempers and bindings). The books for transmuter adornments are brought from the transmuter merchant and will have "Enigma of Transmuting" in the book name. Spamming the transmuter reaction arts does not increase your chances for a skillup - you must actually complete the item creation in order to have a chance at a skillup. The current percent chance of skill ups is 50% on an even con recipe. You can skill up on grey con recipes, but the chance is much lower.

Q. What about these reaction arts?
    A. There are 6 transmuting reaction arts that are sold by the transmuting merchants. They are the only reaction arts that you will ever get for the creation of the transmuter-specific adornment recipes, and they are used to impact the progress and durability of recipes found in the Enigma of Transmuting books. There are no negative events to counter. (Note that if you haven't constructed adornments since before the RoK expansion, you will need to buy these 6 reaction arts from a transmuting vendor, to replace the old 4 that were replaced during the reaction art revamp.)

Q. What can a transmuter NOT do for you?
    A. They cannot pull a proc or effect it self from a item. They cannot transmute or adorn a item that is attuned or no-drop that someone else has possession of. They cannot combine 2 items together. They cannot unattune a item they own by making new item from attatching a adornment.

Other FAQs:

Q. Are adornments no drop?
    A. No they can be traded and brought off the broker if there are any for sale. Also componets are tradeable so you can purchase the componets and bring to a tradeskiller that can perform the combine for you.

Q. Can you use lower level adornments on higher level gear?
    A. Yes. You can have a tier 1 adornment attatched to a piece of tier 7 armor and you will recieve the benefits of the adornment. You cannot, however, have a t7 adornment on a tier 2 piece of gear.

Q. Can you have 2 adornments on the same item?
    A. No

Q. Can broken/damaged items be transmuted?
    A. No. Items must be fully repaired before they can be transmuted

Q. Can every piece of treasured or better gear be transmuted?
    A. No, a lot of quests rewards cannot be transmuted.

Q. I am transmuting items but my skill is not increasing. Why?
    A. The items you transmute must be a max of 2 levels <10 skill points> below what your current skill is for a noticeable chance at a skill up. There is very very rare chance at skillup from items well below your skill level. Also, as mentioned above, once you reach 100 skill, you cannot gain further skill increases from transmuting items.

Q. Can I use the transmute/tinkering secondary tradeskill if I am not flagged for the EoF expansion?
    A. No. You can, however, still buy adornments and attach them to your gear regardless of if you have the EoF expansion or not.
    Last edited by Niami DenMother; 01-10-2008, 05:03 PM. Reason: Random tweaks and updates

Again, great job Mum! Where would we be without you? <shudders at thought>
    My friend is a gnome in EQ1 so all of a sudden I can actually understand some of the gibberish he spouts about skill ups, success chances, 250 out of a max of 300 etc.
    I'm excited to get started but also bracing myself for the cost and timescale involved. Being unguilded might put me at a big disadvantage now.
    We'll see.....

Comment

Wow.. this is amazingly confusing. So, if I am understanding it correctly you start with 10 SKILL, and you can only use a lvl 1 or lvl 2 item to get transmuting skill....? I predict that newbie isle will become seriously farmed to get the adept 1s as will all the newbie zones for rares to turn into mastercrafted items to transmute. Sigh.

Comment

Yeah, you start with 10 skill (L2) and get skill ups from items either level 0, 1, or 2 (if you can find any transmutable L0 items, haha). Since the rate is about 1 skill up per 2 combines, to get to L2 you'll need 10 of those items... and 10 more until you start making adornments (at which point you can make those to skill up, but remember they'll be using the stuff you get from transmuting down gear).
        Barx Atthemoon
        9/9 Crafters
        Formerly Officer of < Mayhem > of Antonia Bayle
        Raider in < Vigilance > of Crushbone

"Do no evil because it is a small one; do not leave a small deed undone because it is just a petty one." - Liu Bei

Retired:
        Barx Atthemoon - Druid, Master Tradesman
        Officer of Golden Eagle Trading Company
        EQ Live - Tarew Marr, Once and Forever!

Comment

Thankfully, Isles are instanced, so the flood of farmers won't be *too* bad. I'm pleasantly surprised at the number of little treasured drops I am getting on a little newbie there, though I'll likely keep her with xp turned off (at level 4) for a bit. {mumble}

Comment

Packrat Question

I haven't seen this addressed directly so if I missed it forgive me.

Is it safe to assume that the "raw" transmuting item results (fragment, vial etc.) stack as other raw materials do? And if so what is the stack limit? 20 as for finished goods like potions or 50 as for harvestables?

Thanks for insights - trying to calculate bank space as I have a lot of treasured and adept 1's that now take up a slot but hopefully will condense as transmuted raws that are stackable.

Comment

Well, most of the time you'll be getting 1 or 2 bits from a transmute, so they're not going to be stacking too high.

And if I recall, yes they DO stack. I didn't use them much in Beta, so I'm not sure if its 20 or 50 as a stack limit. But eitehr way all the stuff you're storing will condense down a good bit =)
              Barx Atthemoon
              9/9 Crafters

"Do no evil because it is a small one; do not leave a small deed undone because it is just a petty one." - Liu Bei

Retired:

Comment

Transmuted components stack to 50.

Comment

I made a newbie bruiser and clipped his EXP after level 3 spent 3 hours and got about 50 Level 1 Treasured items and 3 Legendary on the Evil Isle of refuge. Just FYI

Comment

I'll edit Bigron's FAQ more tomorrow, most likely. For today, I updated the section on how the process works ... you now start with skill 1 in transmuting, and that allows you to transmute *at least* level 5 items. I haven't tried higher.

Comment

That makes sense... since recipes / results are on a tier system, IMHO so should be what you're trying to transmute. It's not like that L9 item legendary will give you anything different than that L2 one.
                      Barx Atthemoon
                      9/9 Crafters

Retired:

Comment

who can make what

I'm sorry I know I've seen this somewhere before, but I can't find it now. And I don't remember what site I found it on either...

I'm trying to figure out which tradeskills can make which adornments. I know provisioners can, so I made that her path. But I'm trying to figure out what to do with my carpenter. I think I may go tinkering with her, but would like to see the list first to know what she would be missing out on adornment-wise. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please help!

Thanks
                        Dark Elf ~ 80 Inquisitor / 80 Provisioner / 212 Transmuter
                        Human ~ 80 Dirge / 51 Armorer
                        High Elf ~ 80 Warlock / 80 Jeweler / 279 Tinkerer
                        Ratonga ~ 70 Necromancer / 80 Carpenter
                        Froglok ~ 42 Ranger / 18 Weaponsmith
                        Wood Elf ~ 44 Monk / 40 Woodworker
                        Half Elf ~ 34 Paladin / 38 Tailor

Comment

You'll be missing nothing if you have 9 tradeskillers and make any one of them a transmuter and any other one a tinker. You don't need Transmuter levels to make, say, Armorer-class Adornments. (Transmuters do have their own adornments to make, as well as their underlying class's Adornments, but that list doesn't change based on the underlying class.)

Comment

Yes that's true, but I would still like to be able to see the list again to see who can make what. This is only an example, but it said something to the effect that a Provisioner could only make adornments for certain slots and it said what the stat bonus would be (i.e. power regen, or sta bonus), same with all the other tradeskills.

Comment

ooh found it!

Comment

Working...
                              X