Sorting Your Recipe Filters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorting Your Recipe Filters

I thought this might be useful for others since it has driven my crazy for quite some time that my recipe filters were not in any order.

Sorting Your Recipe Filters

If you're like me, you have come up with quite a few filters for your recipes and it can grow tedious or annoying to scroll down through them looking for certain ones. The new ones always seem to get added at the bottom, in the order you added them, so that soon your list of filters is more like a haphazard grocery list than a nice index.

So far despite some in-game /feedback, no mechanism I've seen has been put in place to allow you to sort them. However, it can be done manually. All it takes is a little text editor and reaching the point of exasperation with your ever-growing list.

In your main Everquest II directory is a file called eq2_recipe_filter.vdl, which is simply a text file with your filters translated into a format the game can read. It's really fairly simple to customize this file as you want it. Be sure you make a back-up copy before you start rearranging things, so if you do mess up it's possible to get back to where you were.

By the way, if you haven't noticed, this file is shared by all your characters on the game, so in my case I have for example filters that are specific to my armorer that show up on my alchemist. When you come to understand the filters better, you can fine-tune them manually (always making your back-up file!).

Start your text editor (such as Notepad for you Windows users) and open this file in your Program Files/Sony/Everquest II directory (presuming you used default installation settings, which most people do).

If you happen to open it with a word processor such as Microsoft Word or Wordperfect, be warned you MUST do a File->Save As command and save the file as TEXT when you are done, with the name it has, no .TXT added. Otherwise, we cannot be held responsible for what may happen! (At the very least when you try to open your filters in game, you'll blow up the tradeskill instance.) If you aren't familiar with the ins and outs of word processors vs. text editors, it's probably safer just to use Notepad.

When you open the file you'll see that the filters really aren't too complex. Each is a group of statements and each filter begins with (tada) RecipeFilter preceded by a blank line. Note that the file itself begins and ends with a blank line (carriage return, or line feed, made by pressing the ENTER key), and each filter must be separated from its neighbors by a blank line.

Here is an example filter from my file. Notice how it's in a very specific format:

Code:
    RecipeFilter
    {
        name = "Enigma"

filterItems =
        [
            RecipeFilterItem
            {
                name = "RecipeBook"
                selected =
                [
                    "Enigma of the Alchemist Volume 1"
                    "Enigma of the Jeweler Volume 1"
                    "Enigma of the Sage Volume 1"
                ]
            }

]
    }
    To get things in order, simply find the filter you want to move. SELECT the entire filter with your mouse, including the blank line either before or after it, and CUT it from the file (ctl-x is the default, there is also the menu command and some text editors include a button). Make sure there remains a blank line between the filters who used to be the cut filter's neighbors; if there isn't one, move your cursor to the end of the line of the upper filter behind the } (that's the right squiggly brace) and hit your enter key once so it creates the blank line to separate them.

You can also just COPY if you don't want to delete the filter when it's copied to your clipboard (ctl-c is the default). Remember you have a back-up copy made (you did do that before starting right???), so don't be afraid to make a mistake. If for some reason you DIDN'T make your back up, slap your hands and then cancel out of the document (choose exit from the file menu and when it asks to save the file answer NO WAY) and make your back up, and come see me when you've done that.

And if you mess up, at any point you can also UNDO your action with ctl-z, although this isn't an infinite undo, so if you make a lot of mistakes it's better to cancel and start over.

Now move your cursor in the document to where you want the filter to really appear, and PASTE it in place (ctl-v is the default). Make sure the new placement includes one blank line separating the newly inserted filter from its neighbors. Verify your file with the blank lines at top and bottom, and check the areas where you've made changes (either removing or inserting) for the single separating line.

When you're happy (or at least feel somewhat less nervous), save your file (as TEXT if you insisted on using a work processor and be sure it says the file name as indicated at the top of this guide). If for some reason you see that it gets saved as eq2_recipe_filter.vdl.txt, you can go into your Windows Explorer and rename the file to remove the .txt (answer YES YOU BETCHA when it asks if you are sure since the file might become unreadable--you want to make it so EQ2 finds your new file!).

When you start EQ2 again (changing the filters doesn't seem to show up if you are in the game; best to do this with the game closed!), pull up your recipes and check your list of filters to see they are in the new order, and verify some of the moved ones to show they are working correctly.

If everything looks good, pat yourself on the back and /dance with or /cheer at the Chemistry Table. If something looks wrong, you can start over with your back-up file or if you can see what needs to be fixed edit the file again.

Oooh, great idea! Far too often, I just grin, bear it ... and randomly delete some to make less clutter. This way is much better!

~Mum

Comment

i just discovered this file today, as i tried to recreate my old filters into my current game (just came off a one year hiatus). after realizing i could not make comprehensive filters in-game, i searched for the file that held the filters locally. eq2_recipe_filter.vdl was the answer and i quickly compiled a basic filter categorized by tier and type. The show up as such:
      - Tier 1
      - Tier 1 Advanced
      - Tier 2
      - Tier 2 Advanced
      - Tier 3
      - Tier 3 Advanced
      - etc.

when you choose "tier x" only recipes from the essentials books appear. when "tier x advanced" is chosen, only recipes from the advanced books appear. I have added the essentials and advanced books for all crafting classes into my filter file, so a single filter will work with all of your crafters, regardless of class! very cool, but still quite basic since it only includes essentials and advanced books. there's still more filters to add, but i wanted to share what i just spent the last hour or so doing and perhaps save some of you a little time.

do note that while the majority of book names are in Title Case, there are a few that are in lowercase. these include all T1 and T2 essentials books, as well as the T2 advanced craftsman books.

also, those of you with older obsolete-named books, such as Advanced Outfitter Dual Weapons Volume 14, will have to add them in manually, since i don't have a complete list of these. i only know of those that are already in my recipe book. if you can help me out, please don't hessitate to post!

oh, i almost forgot... here's my recipe filter file: http://home.comcast.net/~anfrey/eq2_recipe_filter.vdl
      Last edited by anfrey; 07-16-2008, 09:00 PM. Reason: forgot to include a link to my eq2_recipe_filter.vdl

sir ansfrid takahityo the relic keeper — paladin, amorer, and guild advisor for the <knightshift>

Comment

Wow, what as shame I found this thread only today. This is great information, since I was sometimes getting a bit frustrated by the filters (probably because lack of understanding on my part).

Thank you anfrey for posting your filter file. You did a lot of the work for me that I was thinking about doing myself when reading this thread. When I get home from work today I will try and see if I can expand your file with Adornments, TS Epic and RoK faction recipes.

Are there also other recipe areas which people want to be made into a filter? Most other recipes (like HQ, Frostfell etc) are only used once, or over a small period. I will try and see if I can add your requests.

Greetz,

Corbolu Sanguinius
        Lvl 80 Dirge and Lvl 80 WoodWorker
        Officer of Lowland Elites
        Runnyeye

Comment

great to hear the beginnings of my work are already helping! i look forward to your additions and hopefully i can get a few more cranked out tomorrow.

as for tonight, i need to grind the armorer :P

sir ansfrid takahityo the relic keeper — paladin, amorer, and guild advisor for the <knightshift>

Comment

Hi,

I have expanded the eq2_recipe_filter.vdl that Anfrey attached some posts below. I have made the following changes:

- Fixed a couple of "Volume 45" recipes added in the filters: "Tier 6", "Tier 6 Advanced", "Tier 7", "Tier 7 Advanced", "Tier 8" and "Tier 8 Advanced".
            - Changed the order of the filters. Moved the Advanced recipes to the top (Tier 8 to Tier 1) and then the Essentials (Tier 8 to Tier 1).
            - Added "RoK Faction" filter ( Bathezid Watch, Riliss and Danak recipes ).
            - Added "Adornments" filter ( Al TS classes, Transmuting and Tinkerer recipes ).

The reason why I changed the order of the recipes is because ussually at max lvl you will be making mastercrafted items. And to have the highest tier at the top come in handy.

I also found out the when you select a filter of which you have no recipes books scribed all the recipes are displayed.

If there are any issues or questions with my changes, or if you are missing something please let me know. Since I only have a max lvl Woodworker and some lower alts I am not able to test all filters. As far as I could see there were no errors, but you can never know.

Greetz,

Corbolu Sanguinius
            Lvl 80 Dirge and Lvl 80 WoodWorker
            Officer of Lowland Elites
            Runnyeye
            Attached Files

Comment

haha good eye catching those. i must've skipped a number by accident (oops!)... and good call resorting them from highest to lowest... when i set them up, i just did what would be easiest for the 'search and replace' function in notepad.

thanks for adding more books. i'll be adding the deathfist books to your revision tonight and posting it up

Comment

Just wanted to say a big thankyou to you guys doing this, I am using the filter now, and it is just oh so convenient.

Comment

Working...
                X