Hmm Scholar decision

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm Scholar decision

I am about to ding 14 as a scholar and am confused as to which way to go.

I was intending to head towards sage as I wanted to be able to create spells and/or combat arts, but....

I seem to be spending a lot of time at the chemistry desk in trying to level up and am quite enjoying that, I have also discovered that it appears that alchemist make some of the adept 3 Combat Arts/Spells as well as poisons and potions...

First Question .... Is this true ??

Second question ... what other benfits and/or drawbacks do Alchemist and Sages have compared to each other ??

Thats all folks - thanks in advance for any help.

Yes, Alchemists make poisons, potions and all of the Fighter upgrades (App1-4 and Adept 3).

As to what are the advantages, etc. I don't have a good answer for you on that one, since sages do cleric and mage spells it does not really compare in my mind? Let me know if you had other specific questions.

- Dibbler

Comment

Alchemists do Fighter skills, Jewelers do Scout skills and Sages do Priest/Mage skills.

Whichever of the scholar subclasses you go, you will be spending most of your time making inks for spells. The only major difference between sages and alchies is that alchies can break the monotony of grinding spells by making potions/poisons.
      Also if you go Sage you will need to keep your woodworking/thaumaturgy skills up to par as you will need them to make your WORTs/paper/quills where as alchies can get by with just the apothecary skill for bottles/vials
      Liandra of the Ascended Heroes on Runnyeye Server
      Lvl 89 Conjurer / Lvl 90 Jeweler.
      Pocket Lvl 90 Alchemist
      Pocket Lvl 90 Provisioner
      Pocket Lvl 90 Tailor
      Pocket Lvl 62 Armorer
      Pocket Lvl 56 Carpenter

Comment

Starting at T3, Alchemists are the control point for imbuing anything as only they can make the extracts and the solvent to make that extract. If you are thinking of trying to make money by tradeskilling, that is something to consider. However, I don't think Alchemists get to actually do anything with those extracts (not sure about this) which is where the big gold is.

To put some things stated above in a slightly different way; as a scholar you can make your own spell upgrades and that is worth a lot. Unfortunately you won't be making a lot of money selling spells unless you do a lot of marketing.
        Sylvermune, Lucan D'Lere
        Ranger 76, Woodworker 80, Transmuter 335
        Officer of Eternal Knights of Luclin

Comment

Alchemists do not actually make anything with their extracts - they're for selling to players. Be careful about thinking to corner the market in extracts, many tradeskillers have their own "pocket" alchemists.
          Zen

Converting Spoken to Written Language - Common Errors in English

Comment

Thanks for that quick help guys - I think my mind is made up to go Alchemist - as my main is a guardian and potions seem like a nice change and possibly a few coppers from them ??

Can you please explain what you mean by tier three extracts and give an example as I must admit I am completely lost by this point.

Thanks Again

Comment

Alchemists turn the uncommon harvests (glowing/sparkling/etc flowers/teeth/etc) into extracts. Those extracts are then used by the other crafters to make imbued items.
              Zen

Comment

To further expound on extracts:

Once an Alchemist has made an extract (x0 level recipe I do believe), then a Woodworker can imbue shields and wood-based weapons; Tailors and Armorers can imbue leg and chest items; Weaponsmiths can imbue weapons (fancy that); Jewelers can imbue rings; and Tailors can make hex dolls. More info on all this can be found via search. All these abilities require level x9 recipes. So an Alchemist can make a sparkling extract at level 20 and the others can use it to imbue their wares at level 29. The imbue adds a proc to the item with stated 5% chance of going off for some amount of damage.

There is more to this whole tale in that you can use the truly rare harvests (jasper for example) to make imbued items with stats. Again, search will reveal more.
                Sylvermune, Lucan D'Lere
                Ranger 76, Woodworker 80, Transmuter 335
                Officer of Eternal Knights of Luclin

Comment

Glowing Extract

Since we're talking about extracts and alchemists...

I have some glowing flowers and I am woodworker, so I want Glowing Extract. Is it true that only an alchemist can make that recipe? From the database, it comes from the Magical Extract Study 1 book. Is this a book that can only be scribed by budding alchemists (scholars)?

While this may seem like a painfully obvious answer to you wise folks, I'm still a bit confused about cross-tradeskill books and when we stop getting them.

I hate having to specialize! My EQ1 bardess got to be a master of everything, and I sorely miss those days.

Calli

Comment

Extracts are scholar/alchemist only. Just like imbues are class-specific. The "cross-tradeskill" books never stop, but they are limited to the basic (and rare if you find the advanced books) refines and interims, which includes everything but specialized items like provisioner recipes and extracts.
                    Last edited by Zendaken; 09-21-2005, 10:14 AM. Reason: Sage/Alchemist mistake.
                    Zen

Comment

Originally posted by Zendaken
                      Extracts are scholar/sage only. Just like imbues are class-specific.
                      Er.... I think you mean Scholar/Alchemist only?

Comment

Oops. Edited.
                        Zen

Comment

Well just to let you helpful guys know how I am getting on - well a weeks holiday and mt darn tradeskiller deciding to get some adventure levels and I finally dinged 14 and 15 Scholar this weekend - I am definately leaning toward Alchemist but I did get a silver and made a Tellurian Recruit Adept3. This looks like it could be a bit of a money spinner looking at the market - so I might have to reconsider heh.

B'ah "well it is a fool who looks a gift horse in the mouth !!"

Comment

MY ADVICE would be to NOT make rare spells unless you've already got a comission or you REALLY know the class well because what you make an adept for might not be one that actually sells on the market. I'd bet that any of the summoner pets are probably a reasonably safe bet, but a lot of the other spells I'd be careful about. This is true with all the scholar classes, not just sage particularly.

SFG

Comment

Well I bit the bullet and went sage, - My guardian is on hold and my two main characters are my Templar/Sage and my new baby sorcerer I am have a ball making her new adept 3 nukes. heh heh

Comment

Working...
                              X