New Cultural for dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Cultural for dummies

I made this for my guild and posted it there. It can def be cleaned up and touched up, so if someone is wanting to do so, go ahead...but here it is:

After a few days of gathering info and doing combines I figured Id post a small guide for folks that are confused by whats going on with the confusing new process.

There are still FOUR levels of armor, each with a corresponding symbol (augment that gives the armor the bulk of its stats).

Tier 1: Simple Armor/Blessed Symbol (lvl 20)
    Teir 2: Ornate Armor/Revered Symbol (lvl 40)
    Tier 3: Intricate Armor/??? Symbol (lvl 60)
    Tier 4: Elaborate Armor/Eminent Symbol (lvl 70)

Important to note: Things are now SKILL LOCKED. In order to make the appropriate tier you will need a minimum RAW skill to buy the book.

I am not sure what the requirements are for tiers 1 + 2 but tier 3 is 200 and tier 4 appears to be 275 (ouch)

Okay, so you have the appropriate skill for your tier, now what?

Well, one last bit of important information first: Templates.
    In order to craft a piece of armor, you will need to craft its template first, THEN you can turn that template into the actual armor. So with that out of the way, lets craft armor!

HOW TO MAKE CULTURAL ARMOR:

Step 1: Quest for the patterns

Okay, this isnt the first thing that you need to do. however, you cant make the armor without doing this, so lets get it out of the way first. You ened to go to your home town and find the tradeskill quest giver. As you go through dialogue it will eventually give you two choices. one choice brings up a task window with 4 choices. These are the augment quests. More on these later. the other option will have a collection quests, requiring you to get 4 items from nearby zones of around level 20ish mobs. This is what you ened to do. finish quest, and you get a book. Should be something like 'Ancient book of *your race* culture'

Once you have the book, read it. it will tell you what you need to combine to get the patterns. Do as it says, and youll get a 10 slot backpack full fo patterns, 20 patterns for each type of armor. Congratulations, you now have one less bank slot

Note these patterns cover ALL tiers of armor

Step 2: Learn the recipes

Now lets learn the template recipes, and the armor recipes. head to PoK library. Outside there is a room with vendors that sell books. There is a smithing vendor, tailoring vendor, and tinkering vendor, as well as a general vendor. The tradeskill specific vdnor sells your recipes for the finished armor. YOU WONT BE ABLE TO BUY THESE BOOKS UNTIL YOUR SKILL IS HIGH ENOUGH. Once it is (again, 200 for the level 60 stuff, 275 for level 70), buy the books (look for the tier name of armor you want (simple, ornate, intircate, elaborate). Once you buy the books, read them, and hit the scribe button. You now know the recipes!

Now go to the generic vendor and pick up your template recipes. note there are more levles of templates than armor, so youll probably just buy all the books you can and scribe em int he same matter. its crafting time!

step 3: Make the template
    In order to make the templates you will need:
    1-3 pieces of ore/hide or 2-6 piece of silk depending on slot. tehse are those mob drops that have been clogging our inventories lately
    1 fuel (check your recipe. these vary in price by tier)
    1 chemical type thing (again, check your recipe. these are around 1 gold always)
    1 template pattern for the specific armor you want to make (also cheap)
    tailors will also need a storebought needle (not the smithed one)

note: the above three can all be found on the same vendor. For instance, in the trader building between Guild hall and Bazaar you canf ind vendors that sell smithing and tailoring stuffs.

Now head to your forge or use your sewing kit (generic will do) and make your template

step 4: make the armor (finally)

Time to head to your hometown. For this step you will need:

The template you just made
    a loam, marrow, or spinneret fluid from your tier (mob drops, only need one per armor piece no matter what slot)

one of the patterns/molds that you got from the book you quested for

cultural hammer/needle (hammer is store bought, honestly not sure on needle, havent done any tailored armor yet)

cultural ore/thread. This is NOT mob dropped, this is bought in your hometown. Consult your recipe for the specific ore. You will need your cultural forge/sewing kit to check your recipe.

Smithys will need a flask of water. what is a good smithing recipe without a flask of water after all.

Now head to your cultural forge or open your cultural sewing kit and hit the combine button, and congrats on your new armor!

But hey, your armor has crappy stats!

A symbol will fix that though

HOW TO MAKE SYMBOLS

step 1. Quest time! head back to your local hometown quest giver. this part is going to suck. He will give you a task for each level of symbols (unline armor, this isnt one size fits all) the tasks all seem to involve killing 20 of one mob type and 5 of another, while making 'impressions' of them. the impression part is done automatically however.

Once you complete the task (hand the quest guy your impression book) and you know have a symbol pattern book similar to the armor book. Same deal as before, read it, do the combine it asks, and you get another wasted bank slot.

step 2: learn the recipes

again, same as the armor. The tradeskill specific guy has the books you need in PoK.

step 3: make the symbol

You will need:

a marrow, loam or spinneret fluid

a pice of ore, pelt, or two silks

the symbol pattern from the book you quested for (note that these are specific to the tier, the apttern will only work for a certain level of symbol). this determiens what slot you are making the symbol for.

a deity specific water (skeptic for agnostics, can be found in any city that supports your deity amongst its starting race/class combos. ie karana worshipeprs will find water of storms in kelethin, felwithe, rivervale, qeynos and freeport)

fuel

head to any forge or sewing kit combine, and youre done.

A few random tidbits-

Armor can ONLY be made by appropriate race. Gnomes cant make troll armor. However, Symbols can be made my anyone. A tunare worshipper can make an innoruk symbol. Also smithing, tailoring, and tinkering recipes all give the exact same symbol. So you could put an augment made by a tailor in your smithed armor.

Great guide, arvydys!

I have never done cultural armor before, so I had no clue where to start. I couldn't find any complete guides, or anything that didn't assume I should already know some of the steps, for all this silk and marrow and loam and animal pelts and spinneret fluid I keep finding all over the place.

So now that I know what to do step by step, I can't wait to get started!

Comment

I've been using this method for skilling up but only on the templates.

Reason why is, symbols and armour cant be sold back to vendor. Unless you sell all your combines in baz you're going to lose lots of platt. Of course, if you mega rich and platt no object then ignore me

IMO is best to stick with the templates, which can be sold to vendor. You'll only lose platt on failed combines and if you chose to buy the dropped ore/hide/silk. You'll find this is probably the cheapest way available!

Comment

Originally posted by colaneil View Post
        I've been using this method for skilling up but only on the templates.

Reason why is, symbols and armour cant be sold back to vendor. Unless you sell all your combines in baz you're going to lose lots of platt. Of course, if you mega rich and platt no object then ignore me

IMO is best to stick with the templates, which can be sold to vendor. You'll only lose platt on failed combines and if you chose to buy the dropped ore/hide/silk. You'll find this is probably the cheapest way available!
        If you are not broke, though, the Intricate armor combines offer a 5% bonus, and the Elaborate combines offer a 10% bonus. And the way they work is additive...so if you would normally have a .025 (1/40) chance of a skillup, you'd have .075 (15/200) chance, which would be 3 times as good (or .125 for Elaborate.) It can make those skillups come a lot faster.

Comment

I believe the armors can be tributed if you want to get something more back than just the increased chance of skill ups.

If you do decide to do just templates, please (please please), at least make templates that can in turn be made into armors (bracers, gloves, helm, boots, sleeves, legs, chest) so that those of us who come and vendor dive behind you can at least get some usable stuff. I've seen way to many visors, belts, neck pieces on vendors and it just makes me sick to see them.
          -- Mewkus: 2100 dings on the server formerly known as Solusek Ro
          try: Inventory/Flags/Spells tracker program - (sample output)

Comment

Templates are i assume non tributable?

Comment

Tribute?

I'm having a hard time understanding why you would want to tribute something you can sell to get more money to skill up more. There are lots of items you can tribute that you can't sell. If you make the armor, and not the templates, in my opinion, you are wasting the resources, unless you find buyers for the armor. It's not popular at all these days since you can loot or buy looted armor now, which takes much less time and effort.

On that note, I think lower level tradeskilled items should have some value added to them. They're falling behind quickly. It is harder to get a raid to get the good augment drops to make the (comparable Bazu and Last Blood) type of augs that would make this armor great. Nobody really farms these type of raid drops anymore.

My suggestion on this would be to make it easier to get the drops, since leveling is easy enough that this type of armor would be temporary enough you could do without it and just find a group to get the easy-to-loot type stuff. (Yea, I know you wrote this before the temporary revamp of LG and BB).
              Candlea
              Starla
              Jenneca
              Blanchette

Comment

The reason for making the armor and symbols and not just straight templates is that the armor and symbols have the bonus skill up chances for the higher levels.

The reason that the Chronal and Discordant stones are not more prevalent on group mobs is that they are still designed to be a raid aug slot and for that you would need to kill a raid mob. You can argue that the difficulty of the mobs they come from do not compare to the augs they would create but that is not the point of this discussion.
                Shawlweaver Sphynx on Cazic Thule
                Master Artisan Aldier on Cazic Thule

Comment

Originally posted by Candlea View Post
                  I'm having a hard time understanding why you would want to tribute something you can sell to get more money to skill up more. There are lots of items you can tribute that you can't sell. If you make the armor, and not the templates, in my opinion, you are wasting the resources, unless you find buyers for the armor. It's not popular at all these days since you can loot or buy looted armor now, which takes much less time and effort.
                  Not all Templates can make anything.

Most Cultural doesn't sell well.

Comment

Originally posted by Candlea View Post
                    My suggestion on this would be to make it easier to get the drops, since leveling is easy enough that this type of armor would be temporary enough you could do without it and just find a group to get the easy-to-loot type stuff. (Yea, I know you wrote this before the temporary revamp of LG and BB).
                    They aren't going to make it any easier to get those augs. Especially so easy that the focii would be relavent to the non-raiders who could get them. Though the reason they won't do it is because, the items are not current enough to be practical for putting in newer content.

The best solution out there, that has been suggested for over a year and half, is to add level appropriate group versions of the Seals to give groupers current focii as well as a way to give upgrades to groupers and not to raiders who use the armors. The Dev's are against this though, because they say type 12s are only from raids. Not that it makes any sense, especially considering all the problems it would solve for them.

PS to OP: 60 = Sacred Symbol
                    Last edited by Kaliaila; 08-04-2008, 08:39 AM. Reason: Had meant to cut and paste this into my previous post but forgot while self censoring, oh well.

Comment

Thanks for this guide it gives me a starting point to start making the cultural stuff, before this it was as stated above very confusing!
                      Forsetii McFatii
                      70 Cleric - luclin

Comment

Does it matter what order you do the tasks? I did the first one where I devastated Runny Eye and the Gorge for the first book. But I went ahead and accepted all the tasks. I did the EK/RE where I killed 20 gobbies and ten crags and received a book in return. Now I'm in Icefall working on that book.

Will this matter as long as I complete them all? I don't need to follow the directions in them yet do I? I just wanted the task part out of the way.

Thankies.

Comment

You do not have to do them in any order.

If you are of sufficient level to request the sublime task, you can just go and do it without ever looking at any of the others if that is all you wish to make.

The directions in the books are how to create the symbol patterns from the book itself (book is used and eventually consumed).
                          Shawlweaver Sphynx on Cazic Thule
                          Master Artisan Aldier on Cazic Thule

Comment

Working...
                          X