This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Vah Shir officer cloak

I have been working with my guild on the Vah Shir cloak quests following the construction of our Sonic Wolfbane weapons. I have attached a picture of the officer's cloak which is the same for all classes now it seems.

Unfortunately there is no tradeskill mod on this cloak, so I decided to create a thowaway character to MQ the cloak again up to the Taruun Garrison cloak which is now the highest you can get without losing the skill mod. I'll reply to my post to link a picture of the garrison cloak.

It now seems that obtaining the Officer's cloak is very easy, you don't even need to deal with the scouts if the thugs and bandits control the grimling camps, just keep killing things until a halfling 'A Coin Courier' pops. The courier drops the captured documents, it seems the easier camps drop doc1, the middle difficulty camps drop doc2, and the most difficult drop doc3. It seems he also drops some copper medal needed by the beastlords for their epic though this is uncommon.

Just collect those 3 documents and combine them with your garrison cloak in the garrison field pack and hand back to Veteran Darznel to get your officer cloak. It seems like the quest ends here for now, he doesn't give any clues about upgrading the cloak, and considering it is a cloak that works for all classes of Vah Shir this may in fact now be the last cloak in the quest.
    Attached Files
    Gorrt Shadowkatt
    L52 Vah Shir Rogue
    Leader of 'Guardians of the Litterbox'
    Tarew Marr server

Here's the reply showing the Taruun Garrison cloak which is the last skill mod cloak before the Officer's cloak.
    Attached Files
    Gorrt Shadowkatt
    L52 Vah Shir Rogue
    Leader of 'Guardians of the Litterbox'
    Tarew Marr server

Comment

This quest changed quite a bit from the writeup on the site. When it changed, I remember asking someone, anyone, to redo the writeups for me so that the site would be up-to-date.

It got lost in the shuffle somewhere.

Once again, I'm asking that someone ride herd on this one and put together a master write-up. Neither Verdandi nor I have the knowledge of the quest, nor the spare time to wade through hundreds of posts, to sort out what's where when how or why. :/

Comment

I'm an expert on the old version of the quest, not the changed one, but here's something that should help until you get a complete rewrite from someone:

Addendum: This quest was changed in the 4/23/03 patch. The final cloak is the Officer's Cloak of Service for all classes instead of the class-specific cloaks mentioned above. You no longer receive a 2-slot satchel or any indication that the quest continues. The previous officer's cloaks are unobtainable now, but if you posess one you can trade it in by talking to Scout Derrin.

Officer's Cloak of Service: AC 18 STR 8 DEX 5 STA 6 WIS 8 AGI 8 HP 50 MANA 50 MR 3 PR 3 DR 3 FR 3 CR 3 WT 1.0 WAR BRD SHM ROG BST / VAH

Comment

The current (old) write up works until you get to the Grimling Forest section.

Instead of Captain Darznel, you are directed to Veteran Darznel. The Polished Acrylia Sphere is no more; you are now told to collect grimling documents.

These drop from all of the camp quests, which are triggered by talking to any of the scouts, veterans and captain. Darznel gives you a box, in which you combine your garrison cloak and the three documents. The scout quests are the easiest, suitable for a level 49+ beastlord to solo, and you can collect all three documents by doing these two camps. In return, Darznel gives you the new Officers Cloak (vah shir only). As the documents drop in profusion from grimlings in the camps, it may be that you can collect sufficient documents without completing the camps, or even without starting the quests, by just killing grimlings in the right spots.

The state of the zone is a little complicated, and I don't think we yet fully understand how it operates; either that, or is is as bugged as the Hollowshade War used to be. If the quests are completed, and only (non-grimling) bandits and thugs occupy the various camps; killing these should result in drops of the captured grimling documents I to III.

Comment

Here is my collation of the current quest, starting from where it changes from the current write up, with talking to General Avilah in Shar Vahl.

[Wed Jul 02 18:06:09 2003] General Avilah says 'Thank you for delivering this. While I have you here, perhaps you can help. We are in dire need of assistance in the moor. All of the reports from our Taruun are indicating the same thing. The area has to be swept clear of the factions that currently inhabit it. The land itself seems defendable, we need someone to gather some soldiers and clear the area.'
            [Wed Jul 02 18:06:09 2003] General Avilah says 'If you accomplish this mission for us, I will be able to reward you for your actions in this leadership role. You will need only to return this box to me to collect your reward and promotion. It will need to contain a grimling chieftain staff, an owlbear guardian talon, a sonic wolf guardian fang, and your Journeyman's Cloak. Good luck too you, should you elect to accept this challenge.'

These drop from, in order: the grimling chieftain and spiritists in the chieftains hut; any owlbear in the NW cave; any wolf in the E cave.

Hand in the items combined in the box, and:

[Wed Jul 02 18:09:32 2003] General Avilah says 'You have proven to be a great leader and excellent soldier. Please accept this cloak as a symbol of your accomplishment. We would be proud to have you as a member of our ranks. You can choose to stay within the ranks of your sect or you can work with us was a member of the Shar Vahl Garrison. If you wish to continue your work as a member of the garrison, please take this form, sign it in triplicate and give it to Veteran Darznel. Either way, please stand still, while I offer you our formal salutation.'
            [Wed Jul 02 18:09:32 2003] General Avilah shouts 'Ahem... Citizens of Shar Vahl, Attention! It is my duty and honor as commander of the Shar Vahl Garrison to thank Borel for their fine work. Give 'em your complete respect and salute 'em when you see them in passing. We enjoy our freedom, because of brave citizens like Borel. Thank you for your time... Carry on!'

Veteran Darznel is in the Vah Shir outpost in Grimling Forest, just north of the zone from Hollowshade Moor.

[Wed Jul 02 18:19:58 2003] Veteran Darznel says 'Let's see, yes... yes... It looks like you signed everything in the correct spot. That can only mean that you're not only brave, but you have some wits as well. If you have all of your teeth and can stand on one leg until the count of five, I think we can make use of you.'
            [Wed Jul 02 18:19:58 2003] Veteran Darznel says 'Your first assignment is to assist the scouts with our initial push against the Grimling forces. The camps directly north of this outpost represent the most immediate threat. I need all the intelligence reports I can get from these camps. . .three different reports should do. Speak with the scouts and do what they ask. Place the documents you find and your Garrison cloak in this bag and bring them back to me. Complete this task and you may even get a promotion.'

There are two camps north of the outpost, and these represent the lowest/easiest of the camp quests. Either scout (Husman and Danarin) can take you to both camps. You should be aware that at times, the camps will be cleared of grimlings. If this is the case, you can either wait up to 2 weeks for the zone to reset (a server reset or patch does NOT accomplish this), or kill the (non-grimling) bandits and thugs in the camps, which also drop the documents. Captured Grimling Documents I drops from one camp, II and III from the other (I don't remember which way round it was).

Here is the scout quest dialog for camp 2 (which is the first camp the scouts will take you to in a fresh zone):

[Fri Jun 13 13:58:30 2003] You say, 'Hail, Scout Husman'
            [Fri Jun 13 13:58:30 2003] Scout Husman says 'Greetings, Borel. Are you [here to help]? You've no doubt heard of the issues with the Grimlings throughout the forest. I fear we may not be able to push them back enough this time to keep our people safe from the dastardly deeds of those vile things. Reports have come in that they may be trying to come at us from the North. While it wouldn't be unheard of, such a move might prove to be a decoy for other attacks coming from the West.'
            [Fri Jun 13 13:58:48 2003] You say, 'i am here to help'
            [Fri Jun 13 13:58:48 2003] Scout Husman says 'I'm glad to hear it. From our reports, they have a rather small group of soldiers North of here, comprising of two encampments not far from each other. We must begin pushing the Grimlings back to their mines so they cannot continue to have a stronghold in this area. For now, you must gather together a group of soldiers to venture with you to help us clear one of the camps out. When you are [ready to go], inform me of such and I will lead you to the camp where you can make preparations for battle.'
            [Fri Jun 13 13:59:10 2003] You say, 'i am ready to go'
            [Fri Jun 13 13:59:10 2003] Scout Husman says 'Right, then. We'll be making our way to their secondary camp, which we believe follows the first into battle and may be the back up lines for the first camp. Make sure you have everyone with you, we'll be making our way to the camp in just a minute.'

Note that there is a 1 minute pause here before the scout heads off. He moves at a (slow) run; you do not need Spirit of Wolf or JBoots to keep up with him.

[Fri Jun 13 14:01:18 2003] Scout Husman says 'We have arrived at the second camp to the direct North of our outpost. It is up to you to clear the camp of these bothersome Grimlings so we can help to push them back into those desolate mines. Our reports suggest that they have powerful shaman who may try to stop you with spirits of the land. Do not let them consume you with their shamanistic ways, and instead focus on the rest of the Grimlings in the camp. When you are [ready to begin], let me know and I will let you loose to rid this camp of it's foul denizens.'
            [Fri Jun 13 14:01:18 2003] Your primary objective is to clear out the camp and then eliminate the shaman threat. Beware the spirits the shaman will summon. Good luck!
            [Fri Jun 13 14:02:26 2003] You say, 'i am ready to begin'
            [Fri Jun 13 14:02:26 2003] Scout Husman says 'To arms, now! Rush into the heart of the beast and emerge victorious, as we have discussed! Charge!'

At this point, Husman returns back to the outpost, and doesn't lead you into battle as the script implies. The spirits refer to mini-grimlings (a grimling skullspirit) that spawn in the camp fire, several at a time. They are lower level than the normal mobs, and dropped the Copper Medal of War (beastlord epic) for me. At the end, a grimling shaman called Soul Echo spawns.

And here is the scout camp sub-quest dialog for camp 1. The camps are offered in sequence by the scouts, and camp 2 must be at least in progress before you can be offered camp 1.

[Fri Jun 13 14:25:07 2003] You say, 'Hail, Scout Husman'
            [Fri Jun 13 14:25:07 2003] Scout Husman says 'Greetings, Borel. Are you [here to help]? You've no doubt heard of the issues with the Grimlings throughout the forest. I fear we may not be able to push them back enough this time to keep our people safe from the dastardly deeds of those vile things. Reports have come in that they may be trying to come at us from the North. While it wouldn't be unheard of, such a move might prove to be a decoy for other attacks coming from the West.'
            [Fri Jun 13 14:25:16 2003] You say, 'i am here to help'
            [Fri Jun 13 14:25:16 2003] Scout Husman says 'I'm glad to hear it. From our reports, they have a rather small group of soldiers North of here, comprising of two encampments not far from each other. We must begin pushing the Grimlings back to their mines so they cannot continue to have a stronghold in this area. For now, you must gather together a group of soldiers to venture with you to help us clear one of the camps out. When you are [ready to go], inform me of such and I will lead you to the camp where you can make preparations for battle.'
            [Fri Jun 13 14:25:33 2003] You say, 'i am ready to go'
            [Fri Jun 13 14:25:33 2003] Scout Husman says 'Right, then. We'll be making our way to, what we believe, is their number one camp, leading the way for the other camp northward down to us. Make sure you have everyone with you, we'll be making our way to the camp in just a minute.'

One minute pause...

[Fri Jun 13 14:27:37 2003] Scout Husman says 'Here we are, at their primary camp to the direct North of our outpost. It is up to you to clear the camp of these worrisome Grimlings so we can help to push them back into those wretched mines. They'll likely use the hills behind those huts as cover for their casters, but be sure to clear out those in the huts first, as they will no doubt be more trouble than you are expecting. Also, watch out for any officers, as they can cause more problems still if you're not careful. When you are [ready to start], let me know and I will let you loose to wreak havoc on the Grimlings of that camp.'
            [Fri Jun 13 14:27:37 2003] Your primary objective is to eliminate the main force of the camp and then assault the casters on the hills afterward. Good luck!
            [Fri Jun 13 14:29:04 2003] You say, 'i am ready to start'
            [Fri Jun 13 14:29:04 2003] Scout Husman says 'Now is the time, my friends, to prove yourselves in the thick of battle! Charge to the enemy and leave no Grimling standing!'

As before, Husman charges directly back to the outpost. Several waves of casters spawn on the hill; you must eliminate then in turn. They will be untargetable at first, until the camp is cleared. At the end, Arcanist Ukigit spawns.

Comment

(continued)

Note that the script is slightly different between the two camps. If you get it right, the grimlings in the camp will repop in a slightly different configuration, and Husman charges back to the outpost. If you get it wrong, the grimlings do not repop, and Husman will stand around waiting for a few minutes before heading back. I have had reports of people trying these camps who can't tell the difference between the two.

Combine the documents and cloak in the bag, hand it in to Darznel, and:

[Wed Jul 02 18:21:42 2003] Veteran Darznel says 'This documentation is a great start. Judging by the amount of material here, we'll be able to formulate a new battle plan easily. It shouldn't take our linguists too long to decipher this scribble.'
              [Wed Jul 02 18:21:42 2003] Veteran Darznel says 'I cannot help but think that your presence and leadership are what made those missions such wonderful successes. I have been authorized to give you a field promotion for your valor and bravery in combat. You're ability to lead was the keystone in the success of those engagements. Welcome to the rank of Garrison Officer, Borel!'

Comment

I cannot believe they ruined the cloak by combining the all.. sheesh....
                Relanex Thines
                Vah Shir Rogue 55th Season
                House of Carnage
                Fironia Vie Server

Comment

I can not believe they ruined the cloak by making it VAH only (and getting rid of the Hero's Cloak).

Time to find a new cloak to work towards (and write off the 10-20 hours I spent so far working on it (without ever seeing anything about the new cloak being VAH only)).
                  Kulazi Klawstorm - 66th season Iksar Beastlord

Comment

Ok....I've been trying to get these documents. So far, I've only seen doc 1...6 times...from both camps.

Are the two camps very close to one another...just north of the Vah Shir outpost...before you get to the Grimling town?

Am I just getting unlucky, or am I fighting at the wrong camp?

EDIT: Nevermind. I figured it out. There are 9 camps. 3 of them drop document 1 (the 3 nearest the outpost), the 3 nearest the SW corner of the zone drop document 2, and the other 3 drop document 3.
                    Last edited by Twistagain; 10-01-2003, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Im completing the quest tonight I will log the ending of it and see of I can tell what to do next.

Comment

As far as I can tell, the ending is exactly what I posted a couple of posts back. None of the relevant NPCs have any additional responses any more.

There are different quests that relate to the further raids in the series, and to the Legend of Lies books, but they don't appear to be related.

Comment

BUMP!

Verdandi - time for a main site update, I think.

Comment

body parts

what are the grimling officer body parts for now? i can't seem to find any npc in the kitty camp tht wants them. and since the claok has been changed to a general officer cloak does that mean only those with the older cloaks cn upgrade them? i really wnat my FT5 cloak

Comment

The cloak with FTV is no longer attainable. As far as I know, the stats for that cloak were farmed and I've never personally seen a link or screenshot to the actual item and neither has anyone else that I know.

This happens quite often actually. For example if you go to lucy.fnord.net and check out 'Dumul's Chestwraps of the Brute' which is the elemental beastlord chestplate, you will see that there are two of them listed.

The stats for the one with clicky KHF on it was farmed somehow and it is not the actual breastplate that drops in the game. The real Dumul's BP is also listed with the real stats on the item but those stats weren't posted until much more recently when someone actually got the drop and added it to lucy's database.

I suspect that the FTV cloak stats were similarly farmed and I still doubt that anyone on a live server has actually ever finished this quest to attain the final hero's cloak.

I have known people that got the hero's medallion but unfortunately none of them were beastlords. One of the problems with the quest is that the medallion was a really nice neck at the time and since it was an all/all item, it was more of a FFA loot. It should have been bst only and then we'd probably see some beastlords with hero cloaks today.

Anyway, here are a couple of links with information pertaining to the cloak quest as posted on the Beastlord forums...
                              http://www.eqbeastlord.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8236

http://www.eqbeastlord.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5341&highlight=officer

I do have the Khati Sha Officers Cloak in the bank and it does have the 3% tailoring mod on it. I have never completed the general's raid to attain the hero medallion and combine it with the cloak in the security satchel so the cloak at satchel are still sitting in the bank and taking up space.

It would have been nice if they left the quest how it was. I was definitely looking forward to finishing it someday and getting a hero cloak. oh well
                              -Digcat Wanderpaw-
                              Elder 65th Feral Lord of Endorean

[email protected]

200 Begging 200 Fishing 250 Fletching 250 Jewelcraft 250 Baking
                              250 Pottery 250 Brewing 250 Smithing 223 Tailoring 242 -All 7 Trophies-

Comment

Working...
                              X