• Just can't play - @#$%!!!!!!!!!!!

So I've -

1) dropped my security settings on my computer to nothing
    2) made sure no other programs are running in the background
    3) got the latest drivers for my video card
    4) got the latest drivers for my sound card
    5) totally updated windows
    6) defragged, debugged, virus scan, etc
    7) totally uninstalled and erased all traces of EQ and then spent 30 hours repatching

But I've still got the crash bug from the 6/11 patch and it's not looking like there's a solution - did I miss anything?

Is anyone else still having this problem?

It's really frustrating - I don't know what to do - I've just gotta scream somewhere (still can't log into Sony boards for help either!).
    Cigarskunk!
    No more EQ for me till they fix the crash bug.

if you can't even log into the boards, it sure seems like there must be something else going on. Is your computer showing problems in ANY other way?
    Bittleaye Arkades
    Halfling Druid of Xev
    Sans Requiem

Tailoring 252 - Smithing 222 - Fishing 200 - Brewing 200 - Pottery 199 - Baking 197 - Fletching 142

Comment

I'm not sure which crash bug you mean, but the one I've been having has been happening when I zone. Occasionally, the character gets "stuck" between zones, and I crash to either the desktop or to the server select screen. If I try to log the character back in, it works normally up until the point where the actual game screen would appear. I'm then dumped back to server select.

Based on discussions with a few guides, GMs, and other players, it appears that this is purely a server-side problem. There are a number of suggested tricks you can try client-side, just in case it really is on your end, but as far as I can tell, the only solution is to wait a few hours to allow the character to become unstuck.

The client-side checks you can do are, in no particular order:

Perform a thorough file check (or complete file check, I forget what it's called)
      Disable the UI you're using
      Change the resolution to something lower
      Disable your Luclin models
      Delete the zone files (*.s3d) for the zone you were moving from and the zone you were going to, then repatch.
      Delete your texture cache files (*.txc)
      Update your drivers

None of these should be an issue if the problem appears on only one character and your other characters (that use the same settings, UI, etc.) can enter and exit the zone as normal. If all your characters crash upon entering a particular zone, there's a good chance your zone file has been corrupted; deleting it and repatching should fix it.

Hope this helps you out.
      Sir KyrosKrane Sylvanblade
      Master Artisan (300 + GM Trophy in all) of Luclin (Veeshan)
      Master Fisherman (200) and possibly Drunk (2xx + 20%), not sober enough to tell!
      Lightbringer, Redeemer, and Valiant servant of Erollisi Marr

Comment

What version of Windows are you running? Is it XP?

The Raven and I had some problems until we discovered a setting that was compressing "infrequently used files"...upon turning that off, EQ worked just fine. I'll have to ask him where the setting was when he gets up again (since I just woke him up with a severe coughing fit and he's kinda cranky right now)...

I'll keep watching this thread to see...

Eyith

Comment

This will sound... odd...

Since a few patches ago my wife and I have the same problem (as each other, maybe not the same as you skunk.)

We go to log in... Load fine, character select fine.... then ... NOTHING.

the music plays and plays and plays.... and plays some more.

If we aren't in "windowed" mode with some other page to "alt+tab" to... we have to hard boot the machine.

If we ARE windowed and can "alt+tab" then "ctrl+alt+delete" brings up the task manager and "Everquest [not responding]" is always there. Kill it.

Very repeatable.

I -built- both machines and they are not more than 18 months old.

When it started happening I downloaded new drivers for video cards and installed them, updated windows, etc etc... Nothing.

EQ ran fine.

Next day. Same problem. Re-re-installed video drivers. Problem goes away.

Day three. Same problem.

Itek: Hmm... every time I reinstall the drivers I have to resize windows from default 800x600 to 1024x768....

*resizes from Kx7 to 8x6*
          *resizes from 8x6 to Kx7*

Runs fine. (no other changes made. I just resized down, and instantly back up.)

Ok, that's funky... so I get on tech chat and talk it over with a nice, helpful SOE tech support rep. (I actually have had really good success rates in dealing with them.)

Itek: "Resizing solves a "crash on logging in" bug. Could you have them look into this. I have a work-around, but it's silly."
          SOE-Tech: "Sure, sounds odd. Send me file 1, file 2, file 3 from both computers."

Day goes by.

E-mail from SOE-Tech: Your sound card is unsupported. The problem lies with the unsupported sound card. Please upgrade to a supported sound card as this will fix the problem.

*BOGGLE* ?? Sound card?? WT?? (excuse the language)

My "sound card" is the ON_BOARD '97codec sound. It's not just "unsupported" it's NOT A SOUND CARD. On both machines.

So I go and look at the specs for DirectX8. Sure enough '97codec is NOT SUPPORTED, and EQ requires A COMPLIANT SOUND CARD to be supported. That's right folks. I didn't pay 200 bucks for 2 sound cards so I can't get support.

But, and I tried to point this out, my trouble is with VIDEO not sound.

Itek: (email) Umm. My problem isn't with sound, which works fine once I log in. It's with video, in that resizing my windows set up before play allows me to play, while failing to do so results in being unable to log in.
          SOE-tech: *never replied*

So... try resizing windows down and back up before you patch/log in. Can't hurt and -actually- might help. *boggle*
          In My (Not Always) Humble Opinion, except where I quote someone. If I don't know I say so.
          I suck at this game, your mileage WILL vary. My path is probably NON-optimal.
          Private Messages attended to promptly.

Comment

Sound problems...

Several month back I had the problem (right after a patch) that after character selection I would get nothing but black screen and music.

The Tech Board suggested try turning off the sound... and yes, low and behold... I got an image and could play... but no sound.

After experimenting with it on and off... I have gotten used to playing EQ now without sound. I don't even have speakers plugged in, and the sound is disabled at the OS Level.

I am holding off getting it re-active for a few reasons right now

a) Continued postings like this talking about Sound Card issues
            b) In the process of moving and will require time to settle in to the new place before tinkering with it.
            c) I don't miss the music at all... but sometimes hearing a mob trying to sneak up behind me would be kind of nice.
            Brother Krazick Bloodyscales 65th Trial Scaley Transcendent
            Krizick 37th Kitty Tank
            --Officer of The Renegades--
            --Innoruuk Server--

Comment

Actually, and he might post it here himself, my hubby has weird problems where the sound will run amuck and hose the graphical fps. All he has to do though is alt enter twice and it's ok.
              But yeah, in EQ sound and graphics seem to be pretty close bedfellows...
              Retired -
              Avelyna, 69 ranger
              Tiadari, 62 druid
              Syrarri, 52 beastlord
              Rodcet Nife

Comment

I had to completely disable sound for eq, or I get really terrible framerate problems. I now use eqwatcher just so it will tell me when someone got hit or a spell fizzled (all the program does is read your log file and say what it reads, basically dragonvoice).
                Serenya Soulhealer
                Guild Leader of The Revellers, Tribunal

Comment

I have the dreaded Vodoo Series card in my machine so EQ does NOT always play right. For 3 months, I had to delete my eqclient.ini file EVERYTIME I logged out or I would get dropped to desktop with an error at connection. I would also drop to desktop when zoning or just lock up like Itek does about 20% of the time. (And just like Itek, I had to alt+tab or hit the windows/start key to get out or power down the CPU.) I've learned to NOT update my video drivers if I want to play EQ so any time I hear of someone having problems after doing so, a flag waves for me.

I finally fixed my problem and it might help for you two; open your eqclient.ini file and look for something similar to windowmode= or modewindow= (I cant rememer the acutaul label) and change what ever is after the = to a zero. (Obviously, save an old copy of the file first) This turns of the window mode capability since it does NOT play nice with some cards. After doing that, no more crashing issues for me.
                  Morani
                  Wanderer of Tunare,
                  Protector of The Mother's children.

Comment

DO NOT load DirectX 9.0!! That's my first suggestion. Blew up my first computer with that little no-no.

The ALT+ENTER thing works well for my husband and I if we get to the character select screen and have no mouse/keyboard. If you are not windowed, ALT+ENTER to window. Then, ALT+SHIFT+R to regain mouse control outside of window. Click on EQ in the taskbar and then click on the EQ character screen itself. Usually will regain mouse control in character select and can log in normally from there.

Good luck...
                    Arakni Spellweaver
                    51st level Erudite Enchantress
                    Povar
                    250 Jewelcraft + Grandmaster Trophy!

Comment

Kupek (my boyfriend) has horrible framerate problems that get worse the longer he plays. Alt+enter fixes this.

I myself was having the 'drop to desktop with no warning' bug for quite a while, but it isn't happening nearly as often anymore..

Hope you can get it resolved. :/
                      Fielan Aan'Cueran - The Keepers
                      62 Hierophant
                      E'ci

Comment

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for contacting the Sony Online Entertainment Customer Service
                        department. It seems that there is a problem with our message boards.
                        We are aware of the issue and should have a fix shortly. Sorry for the
                        inconvenience.
                        After 14 exchanges with me explaining during each exchange that the problem with me not being able to post to the Sony boards was on thier end they finally admitted that yes, it was a problem on thier end?!?!?

Woot!

Now, if they can fix the crash bug with tonight's patch I'll be set!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Cigarskunk!

Comment

Heh, I sent Absor an email a couple months ago about people having trouble posting on their forums (when I try, I get a white screen). He said he sent all the info I provided to the tech in charge of the boards. It's sad that it took them this long to fix a problem that prevents their player base one of the only (online) ways of contacting the company.

Comment

Sigh - talk about out of the frying pan...

The tech desk has descided that in fact it's not Sony's fault that their patch broke EQ for me but that the problem is now old drivers on my harddrive (mind you, I didn't try upgrading drivers till after EQ started crashing).

So doing as they instructed, I went into safe mode and erased all the old, nasty, bad drivers for my sound and video card.

It definately produced a result for me though.

I no longer crash every 15 minutes while in the game - instead, I crash when I try to log into the game - no more need to worry about getting killed due to a crash atleast since I can't even get in.

Sigh.

(PS - this isn't an isolated problem - the last few patches have caused scores of people this very same problem - just check out the Sony tech boards.)
                            Cigarskunk!

Comment

Well, looks like they can't fix the crash to desk bug, so I've temporarily cancelled my account for now - anyone who knows me on Xev won't see me again till they fix the bug or I get a new machine (probobly not till late fall though).

Thanks to Bill Holbrook for my new sig of Cigarskunk expressing his frustration with this situation.
                              Cigarskunk!

Comment

Working...
                              X