Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your question isn't Quick, Easy, Simple, or Brief!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your question isn't Quick, Easy, Simple, or Brief!

The next person who starts a conversation (In person or over the phone), a chat conversation, an IM, or anything with "I have a quick question for ya" is going to get varying degrees of attitude and violence, depending on the proximity.

What follows that statement is usually a 20 minute phone call, explaining the last 600 transactions they have forgotten (along with dates, amounts, and everything repeated twice), A detailed route from 0-250 tailoring (Including all storebought, all farmed, and "The quickest" routes), or an explanation of Newtonian and Einsteinan physics that makes Hawking shrug his shoulders from it's complexity.

Stop telling someone in advance what kind of question you thiunk you're asking. Quick questions don't have any more importance then long ones. I won't be happier to answer a question that you think is quick, nor will I somehow think better of you for only having a "Simple" question.

Besides, when I give a simple answer, people call me sarcastic:

Customer: "Easy question for ya, Lilosh... What's come out of my account in the past 3 weeks?"
    Lilosh: "Money. Is there anything else I can do for you today?"

Tradeskiller in chat: "I have a simple question for you. What's the best way to increase my tailoring skill?"
    Lilosh: "Do alot of combines."

Friend: "I have an easy question for you, Lilosh. Why does (girls name here) hate me?"
    Lilosh: "Because You're a loser who's kinda creepy. Why do you ask?"

Sorry, but this has been bothering me for years, and I finally hit my tolerance today. Get to the **** point, and stop "Preparing" me for your question with useless words.

Done for now,
    -Lilosh
    Venerable Noishpa Taltos , Planar Druid, Educated Halfling, and GM Baker.
    President and Founder of the Loudmouthed Sarcastic Halflings Society
    Also, Smalltim

So take the fact of having a dirty mind as proof that you are world-savvy; it's not a flaw, it's an asset, if nothing else, it's a defense - Sanna

Got a quick question for ya Lilosh......

*ducks*

Get that all the time at work. Be going from one issue to the next and someone will stop me in the hall and want me to fix something that they've had problems with for months but haven't bothered to call in and open up a trouble ticket so I'd know they were having a problem. =P
    Huntress Jannelle Silverthorne
    Forest Stalker of Ashborne (Karana)

Comment

Hey Lilosh.... how can i quickly skill up tailoring, i need an easy and cheap route so i can make uber loot gear next week????

If i see another post asking this question EVER again, it may just tip me over the edge!
      Pootle Pennypincher
      Short in the eyes of some...
      Tall in the hearts of many!

Comment

I have stopped playing right now other than logging on to do vendor restock.

Totally.

Completely.

Everyone and their cousin wants to personally know about the database and/or has a "quick" question for me because they're too #$#$%#% lazy to look at the site for themselves. They stalk me across alts -- easy to do since I am about the only person in my guild that played anymore. Besides, more fun to ask me than look, right? After all, I MUST be in the game just to be their personal information source.

{sigh}

Then there's the ones who get upset because I don't *want* to make smalltalk right now.

I'm tired. I'm grumpy. It's no longer fun for me, and they get bent out of shape if I do anything remotely hinting that I don't have the time or energy to make smalltalk with them about the db or anything else that strikes their fancy.

Comment

I understand Niami, I am kinda known on my server for being a tradeskill nut... and i quite often get /tells for recipy advice etc, sometimes i will help but its annoying when i am trying to skill up or am raiding.

I imagine you must get 100x more tells than me...

/Target Niami
          /Hug

Oh here is some advice (it may annoy your friends online but i am sure they will understand. Set up a hotkey, push everytime you zone.....

/AFK I am busy right now, if you have tradeskills question please tab to windows and check on www.eqtraders.com

or

/AFK your call is important to us, you are currently 85th in the advice line, have you tryed our website for all your tradeskill needs - www.eqtraders.com

I am sure people will soon get the message!
          Pootle Pennypincher
          Short in the eyes of some...
          Tall in the hearts of many!

Comment

oh how horrid Denmom. i wish i could slaughter all those annoying people for you with good ole faithful Jabober.

hugs to you and i made this really neato fully lined with fluffiness backpack, fully stocked with all kinds of goodies to nosh on... for you to hide in.

take a deep breath. know we all love you (from a quiet hilltop far far away as to not interrupt)

Rhy
            Xegony

Rhy is a very Rhy-y Rhy

Comment

Heh... There's a variation on the 'quick' answer rant that bugs me.

Do you have time for a 'quick' port?

(Translation: I'm an impatient person, and before I bother to finish my camp, vendor sell my stuff, get C3 etc, I want to know that you will be waiting patiently for me to port me to a zone that I can easily reach using PoK books.)

Do you have time for a 'quick' transfer?

(Translation: I've got a bunch of stuff on a bunch of characters that I'd like to shift around. I'm not exactly sure what stuff is on what characters, and what zones those characters are in, but I'm sure everything will be 'quick'.) Thanks heavens for newly implemented common inventory slots.

Do you have time for some 'quick' buffs?

(Translation: I'm an anonymous low level character, and have no idea what buffs will stick on me. BTW, can you find me because I don't know this zone very well? I'm not sure where I am in the zone, but there are some trees near me.)

Can you do a 'quick' check in the zone for me? I died, am at my bind point and need a rez.

(Translation: I haven't quite figured out how to find a rezzer near where I died using /who. Besides, many rezzers are /anon and /afk. Could you bug them for me and save me the aggravation? BTW if you do find a rezzer, I might be away from keyboard getting my lunch.)

Since you are near the Bazaar, can you do a 'quick' bazaar check for me?

(Translation: I'm looking for an uber, cheap 2HS weapon with lots of stats and a useful focus effect. If you can't find that, can you check what high level spells are on sale. Ooops... gotta log, my sister need the 'puter to do her homework.)

Thicket
              Thicket Tundrabog
              Heroes Unlimited
              Povar

Comment

"I have a quick question for you"
                "I Have a simple question for you"
                "I have a question for you"

Depending on the person, they could all mean the same thing, or have varying differences. I try not to use the first phrase, but if I do, the question is generally going to require a yes or no answer.

If I am going to use the second phrase, also rarely, it is going to be someting that anyone should know, but I couldn't recall it off the top of my head.

The last one, it is going to take some thought to answer this question, which may or may not be followed by a series of questions to better understand or get more information from you.

With my line of work, I don't really worry about the customers asking me questions. I handle their problems with their orders, they just tell me whats wrong, expect me to fix it, and I get to ask all of the questions. But, that is a rant for another day.
                Rewde
                Halfling Druid of 61 seasons
                Povar

Comment

Ugh, DenMum I get random tells now and then, mostly comments or questions about the shawls and shawl guide. But they're generally few enough and responsive enough to suggestions and hints that they don't cause many problems, certainly not enough to drive me away completely. I don't have to get snippy often. I have, however, learned that "quick" and "simple" questions rarely are quick or simple. :roll: Actually, now that I think about it, those tend to be the ones that get the most complicated and about which people insist on questioning every detail. Hmmmm.

Now buff beggars, on the other hand...*snarls*

People can be so selfish. The only people whose time matters is them. It always amuses me when I'm busy and refuse to stop and buff or give away the "extra gear and plat" that I apparently am supposed to have, and am then accused of being selfish myself.
                  Retiree of EQ Traders...
                  Venerable Heyokah Verdandi Snowblood
                  Barbarian Prophet & Hierophant of Cabilis
                  Journeyman Artisan & Blessed of Brell
                  EQ Players Profile ~ Magelo Profile

Smith Dandi wipes her sooty hands on her apron and smiles at you.

Comment

The asker of the question almost by definition does not know what the nature of the answer will be. Prefacing questions with "simple" or "quick" (unless said in jest) usually just seems annoying or ignorant to me .... There are exceptions of course, akin to what Rewde said, generally when the asker has some prior understanding of the nature of the answer (usually in the "dang, I just forgot, do you know?" type questions, or asking for (probably) minor clarifications), but so many people seem to use those phrases merely to get attention and shift the focus to their question, rather than because the question actually *is* simple or quick :/

<hr>
                    Originally posted by Thicket Tundrabog
                    Do you have time for a 'quick' transfer?

(Translation: I've got a bunch of stuff on a bunch of characters that I'd like to shift around. I'm not exactly sure what stuff is on what characters, and what zones those characters are in, but I'm sure everything will be 'quick'.) Thanks heavens for newly implemented common inventory slots.
                    <b>ARG!</b>

Comment

Add to this:

"Do you have time for a quick combine?"

Translation:

"Do you have an hour to spend? I think I might have all the ingredients, but could you stand at the forge waiting while I check, then run around gathering the parts I don't have since I don't know where to find them? Oh and can you help me transfer some of the stuff from my alts? And if it's not too much trouble, could I just reimburse you the cost of a few supplies you MUST have in stock since no one in bazaar is selling em?"

GAH!!!

Only two of my guildmates have EVER come to me with REAL quick combines. Both are tradeskillers themselves (one of which is a RL best friend who knows I would kick him in the family jewels if he made me spend an hour for a "quick combine" LOL) The rest of em, well they make me wanna tear their hair out 5 strands at a time over a period of 3 weeks while they are buried up to their necks in a vat of hot mayonnaise.

Oh oh! Thought of another one:

"Quick question about epic"

Translation:

"I looked at the epic write-up..I know the answer to this question...but could you recite the write-up to me explaning each part 3 times? I know it's been a year since you did this, so I'll help you along by telling YOU the answer when you falter in your recitation."

or alternate translation:

"I know I'm a bard and you are a cleric, but you are uber so you must know about every epic, and if not you could easily alt-enter out and find out for me. Oh and go ahead and schedule a raid on a mob you've never heard of, and get to stepping planning that raid because I'm going to hound you about it every day for the REST OF YOUR LIFE if you don't"

*rolls around on the ground clenching her fists and gnashing her teeth while cursing in 13 different languages*
                      You see what kinda trouble answering questions can get you into??? *zips her lips and refuses to be helpful for at least 4.3 days*

BattleCleric Fashion

Comment

poor denmother

I can ony imagine the /tells you get

If I were you I would have filtered out tells to a small window a long time ago then make the window so small you don't see it ever =)

Makes it hard when folks ruin the game for you. I myself would like to say hi to you but I do not. I am just another stranger. I wish sony would make a I only accept tells from these listed characters. That would help some folks out.

And folks have no idea about doing a quick combine :roll: The only time you get a quick combine handed to you is from another person who is a tradeskiller

Comment

This is going to be my new hotkey - thank you - what a wonderful idea!!

/AFK your call is important to us, you are currently 85th in the advice line, have you tryed our website for all your tradeskill needs - www.eqtraders.com
                          I have hidden on alts before, but have never stopped playing.

I am so sorry, Denmom, that your play time has gone away because of this. It is so unfair.

/comfort
                          /smoogle

Comment

Hate to hear of peeps still bothering you with questions enough to drive you away, Mum. I, like Lling, hide on alts...often creating them on new servers. I do this for a few reasons. I like the low end game and playing it untwinked in game today as compared to when I did it the first time is a different game. More mobs. Fewer people in those zones. And if you don't like playing by yourself, I will gladly create a character along side of ya.
                            Uban the Wizard
                            Luclin (formerly of Stormhammer (formerly of Bristlebane))

Comment

The perfect way: Turn on AFK, and turn on your IM of choice. Let guildies/friends IM you, leave them a hint to your SN or make sure htey know it outright. Put tells in a small window and minimize it.

I get the same problem when I solo on my bard. Various people always asking me questions/favors about this, that, and the other. I just turn on AFK ad make it say: "Soloing at the moment, expect hellishly long response times unless your tell was of sufficient urgency." Cruel? Yes. Slightly unethical? Yes. Saving my sanity more imortant? YES

Silound
                              Troubadour of Prexus

Comment

Working...
                              X