Question: Fierce Heraldic Armor for my Ogre War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Fierce Heraldic Armor for my Ogre War

First, I apologize profusely if this question is answered anywhere else on the board or the site, but I've spent about 2 hours researching this stuff, and came up with very limited answers to my questions.

Background: I have a L37 Ogre Warrior of Rallos Zek on the new Venril Sathir server. Basically there is very little economy currently, and I am on very limited resources. I do have high level characters pre-poop on other servers, so I have a good idea regardin the long term committment to tradeskills. My goal is to get Fierce Heraldic armor for my war ASAP, and I think the easiest way to do so would be to become a smith myself. Not to mention I have not done smithing since the beginning of retail for EQ, so want to get back into it.

Onto my questions.

My first question is somewhat basic, I know that the armor stems from human warrior stuff in Qeynos. Is it possible for my Ogre War of Rallos Zek to smith this stuff, or is it REQUIRED that only a human smith can make it? (I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but want to see if anything changed since Poop).

Second question, if I can not make it myself, should I start a smithing twink, a human smith simply to make this with a 2nd char? Any pros or cons to this?

Third question, what do you guys think the approximate cost of getting my skill to the 242 range (required to max out smithing with that special hammer)? Currently I am broke, but can borrow upto 5K or so. Also, I figure I might as well work up my skill to the 100+ range now, and get to the 200ish range when I get some more money, and finally L55+ get to 250. It'd be a lot better than doing 1-250 when I'm at L65.

Final question, if I go ahead with this scheme, having a twink char with smithing to 250... should I raise that char's other tradeskills, like brewery and pottery (for this armor), or do it on my main chars?

-Cuellar

I was in a similar situation awhile back.

To answer your first question, yes you must be human to work the Qeynos/Freeport race forges.

To answer your second question, its up to you really. I dont think anyone can honestly answer the question of "Do you think I should make another twink to be a smith". You gotta ask yourself a few questions before you do it. Do you have or can you gather the necessary resources to get your smithing that high? Youll need alot more than 5k as ive found out personally. I made a human smith to make that same armor myself and its gotten very expensive, and ive done the cheap stuff getting to where hes at now. It will be worth it in the long run as the human cultural stuff seems to still be in high demand without any sign of slowing down, but itll be alot of hard work and pretty time consuming.

As far as overall cost goes to get that high, id say bare minimum 20k, and thats if you get some real good luck with skill ups. Youll probably need more. I have no hard figure as I havent been paying attention. I just know ive got enough and then some to pay for it. Id say thus far to get to 191 on my human has taken me about 10k or so, but ive bought some leather paddings which were kind of expensive instead of farming them. Wont be doing that again hehe. Id say your current idea of working up smithing as you level is probably a pretty good one.

I would say it would be a good idea to level your smiths other tradeskills up other than spreading them out amongst your other characters. I speak from experience, 6 characters all with high tradeskills spread out amongst them. Its a pain in the butt to move items from one to another to another to another then back to one of the previous then to your last one, then all back to the character you started with.

Comment

It'll take a lot more than just 5k, but if you're the only smith making heraldic on your server, you're going to be insanely rich. You can get up to 188 fairly cheaply (although probably more than 5k) just making fine plate, but it'll take a lot of time when you have to make your own padding, especially as an ogre warrior -- druids and rangers are masters of padding farming. After that, if you're strong enough to farm shadowscream stuff, you'll be set. Once you get to 225ish range, you can start making sickles with a good degree of success. These should fund your final stretch to 243 since everyone wears solstice earrings. You'll have to spend a LOT of time on a new server getting your smithing up since you'll have to farm all your components yourself, but it will be insanely lucrative when you're the sole high level smith on server.
      Cauchy Riemann
      250 Smith - 65 SK Prexus

Comment

Something to Keep In Mind...

However, one thing to keep in mind is that you must also be high enough in level (experience level - not smithing level) to be able to farm Shadowscream components yourself, because 2 of the 3 needed are no-drop. This means your human alt will likely need to be around 40th level or better in order to take on the insanely underconned Sonic Wolves. Shadowscream farming is extremely slow.

As an estimate, it took me over two RL years to complete smithing to 250 (two or 3 weeks to get from 242 to 250, so discount those), and quite a bit was done under the "old" system (before the fine plate trivials were changed, I had reached 219). Elmarr was level 30 through most of this process, and so could not do Shadowscream (Sonic Wolves just slapped his little pally-butt all around Hollowshade Moor). He started with 1000 pp in his pocket from selling banded at 1 pp per AC (when he could) and financed his way by selling dyed fine plate to players (which you no longer can). Powersmithing to 250 just isn't possible in any relatively short period of time, unless you have an extreme amount of money (I would estimate on the order of 100K plus a druid for imbuing emeralds and a market for sickles and you MIGHT be able to powersmith to 250 in 3 months.

Smithing to 250 is just very very hard to do. You might just be better off levelling, farming plat and buying your armor unless you are intent on getting to 250 so you can smith professionally, or you wish to do it for the pride of making your own armor (you had better be pretty passionate about that). Getting to 188 is relatively easy. Getting from 188 to 220 or so (where you can do sickles profitably) is much harder, though it is somewhat easier with a human if you can do "old" cultural plate (means farming mugs of sea foam and saltwater seaweed). And it all takes money.
        Regards,
        Elmarr Armoursmythe
        Human Paladin of Mithaniel Marr of 57 Seasons
        Grandmaster Smith (250), Potter (200), Brewer (200), Fletcher (200), and Jewelcrafter (200)
        Master Artisan for the ARCH Cabal
        Saryrn Server

Comment

blah

Thanks for the info.

I'm going to try an persuade someone else to do it, and just loan them the money when it becomes available.

Really though, I doubt anyone will be making heraldic for a long while. And if so, it will be guild only, and not slapped on traders in the bazaar.

I may do it for the fun of it though. I'd like to get a tradeskill up there.

-Cuellar

Comment

The other problem is that you will need blue diamonds to make the heraldic armour. I'm not sure if they will be going to jewelry first, or armour first, but I expect your prices to be high, until people make it into PoP.

Short of also having a 49 enchanter twink (actually not true for humans), you will need to level your human up to get shadowscream parts, which is non-trivial.

Comment

Working...
            X