This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spell Research FAQ, discussion/submissions

Here is an FAQ for Spell Research, please read it over and submit any corrections or additional questions you think should be a part of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Q: Who can do research?

A: Only INT casters (Enchanters, Magicians, Necromancers, and Wizards) level 16+ can do research.

Q: Do I have to do research in order to get ALL my spells?

A: Not all of your spells are Researchable. Some are available only from vendors, quests, or drops. Some spells may be available from more than one of these sources (i.e: some spells may be vendor bought AND also researchable and/or also mob-drops...ex: Malosini {vendor}, Levitation {mob drop}, etc.)

Q: What classes' spells can I research?

A: You can research any classes songs or spells.

Q: Can I research tomes for melee disciplines?

A: No.

Q. What do I do with my (Old) Research book?

A. The books that previously allowed you to research level 16-49 spells and are available from vendors are no longer useful. They are : "Lexicon" (wizards), "Tome of Endless Enchantment" (enchanters), "Elemental Grimoire" (mages) or "Book of Dark Bindings" (necromancer.)

Q: What about the Advanced Research Book (LoY era)?

A: These books are no longer needed either. Previously, you would have hailed Researcher Alvarik (loc 1367, 80) in the Gulf of Gunthak by telling him "I am a ___" (wizard, magician, necromancer, enchanter). in one of the buildings near the lighthouse. You had to have the LoY expansion, and a research skill of 101 to get the book. These books are also no longer necessary (post SoF).

Q: How do I get my Spell Research Kit?

A: You can buy one from one of the Clockwork Merchants in Corathus Creep or from one of the Spell Research merchants in Crescent Reach. They are now also sold in Plane of Knowledge!

Q. Does this mean I need 3 Research books/containers?

A. Not any more, Systematic Research was introduced in DoDH, continued in TSS, and finally all of Spell Research was revamped as of SoF.

Q: Is the Spell Research skill capped?

A: The formula for the cap on research USED TO BE 5 * (Your level - 15). Therefore, at level 16, you could only have 5 points in it. At 19, the skill cap would have been 20. But, as of February 15, 2005 (DoN launch) the level caps on tradeskills were removed. You still must be level 16 to learn the skill, but after that you can skill up all the way to the new maximum, 300.

Q: Where can I find (XYZ - Old Research item)? Where can I find (ABC - Advanced Research item)?

A: Experience has shown that Old Research items will drop off of MoBs whose level is within 6 levels of the level of the spell they are used to create. Some of these may still be useful for quests, LoY swatches or Celestial Essence.

From Tradeskills Panel at 2003 Fan Faire in Chicago:
    Research drops are pretty generic and not really zone-specific. Parts that drop off of a mob of a given level should drop off of mobs of that same level in other zones.
    More specific info can be found in this thread.

Q: Where can I find Systematic Research Items?

A: You can find most of the vendor-buyable components on the Clockwork Merchants near the bankers in Corathus Creep or on the Spell Research merchants in Crescent Reach or Plane of Knowledge. Some items, such as some gems, and some Alchemy herbs, cannot be found in Corathus Creep but can be found in Crescent Reach, and Plane of Knowledge, as well as other zones with Jewellery and Alchemy vendors.

You will also need some dropped components: Saltpeter (drops in PoI and in Corathus Creep and in Sof zones), Crystalized Sulfur (drops in multiple zones) and various hides, parchments, vellums, scrolls and papyrus that drop in multiple zones.

If you do not want to make your own acids with the Saltpeter and Cystalized Sulfur, the Corathus Creep, Crescent Reach and Plane of Knowledge merchants now sell Oil of Vitriol, Vial of Muriatic Acid, Aqua Fortis and Aqua Regis. While it is more expensive to buy these than make your own, it is an alternative for those who have the plat or can farm it, in order to avoid many subcombines.

Q. Components seem really rare, is there any other way I can advance my Research skill?

A. Yes, there are a few ways. First, you can make swatches for the INT Caster Robes introduced in the LoY expansion.

**** Practice Research still working post Sof ????****Or, you can do the Concordance of Research quest and try Practice Research. The Concordance of Research quest can allow any of the four research classes to create Practice Runes from various items that are not spell components. The quest for good alignment characters is here: Research Aid (Allakhazam), the quest for evil alignment characters is here: Evil Research (Allakhazam). Esentially, give lightstones to the NPCs to get copies of the Research Tomes I & II, and a Greater Lightstone to get the Concordance of Research, a six slot book/container used to make Practice runes only. Once made, each pair of Practice Runes must be combined in your regular/advanced research tome. By the way, the Concordance sells for ~9p at vendors!

Look into the various sub-combines of Systematic Research, as they offer various skill-up possibilities.

Also, look up Researcher Ceramic Clay. Introduced in the TSS expansion, this clay has a trivial of 262, and requires a dropped component, Drake Wing Webbing, that drops in Sunderock Springs and possibly some SoF zones.

With the TBS exapansion researchers are able to make Dull/Shining/Glowing Energiac Wands, with trivials of 158, 236, and 316, respectively. This may prove to be an expesive skill up option, given the costs of the Pure Silver Ingots, but it is another alternative to spell combines.

Finally, there are new one-shot Spell scrolls that can be made in SoF, these may provide skill up options as well.

NOTE: You are no longer able to train any tradeskill beyond the basic steps at any guildmaster.
    Last edited by Maevenniia; 11-26-2007, 04:44 PM.
    Master Artisan Maevenniia the Springy Sprocket Stockpiler of the really long name
    Silky Moderator Lady
    Beneath the silk, lies a will of steel.

Q. How many trivial >200 solutions can I make with my Saltpeters and Crystalized Sulfers?

A. Assuming you don't have any failures along the way, each solution takes 4 Saltpeters and 3 crystalized sulfurs to make. So, if you have 100 Saltpeters and 75 Crystalized Sulfers, you have enough to make 25 solutions (ie 25 Aqua Regia and 25 Muratic Acid). Here's how and what else is needed...
    1) Procure 200 Gnomish Heat Sources, 50 Rock Salts, 300 Water Flasks, and 375 Empty Vials.
    2) Make 50 Fine Salts
    3) Make 75 Vials of Pure Water (plan on making a lot more )
    3) Use 75 saltpeters to make 75 Oil of Vitrol
    4) Use 25 of those Oil of Vitrol and the remaining 25 Saltpeters to make 25 Aqua Fortis
    5) Use the remaining 50 Oil of Vitrol + 50 Fine Salts + 50 GHS to make 50 Vials of Muratic Acid
    6) Finally use 25 of those Muratic Acids and 25 Aqua Fortis to make 25 Aqua Regia.
    7) Depending on which solution you're trying to make, go buy/make the other components needed
    Last edited by Maevenniia; 03-13-2007, 10:38 AM. Reason: brilliant!
    -- Mewkus: 2100 dings on the server formerly known as Solusek Ro
    try: Inventory/Flags/Spells tracker program - (sample output)

Comment

There seemed to be some extra items and some missing / incomplete instructions so I made a couple edits to the submission, feel free to clean up (I tried to keep it short without missing anything.

Q. How many trivial >200 solutions can I make with my Saltpeters and Crystalized Sulfers?

A. Assuming you don't have any failures along the way, each solution takes 4 Saltpeters and 3 crystalized sulfurs to make. So, if you have 100 Saltpeters and 75 Crystalized Sulfers, you have enough to make 25 solutions (since all combines over 200 require 1 Aqua Regia, 1 Muratic Acid and at least 1 Vial of Pure Water, we will make 25 of each). Here's how and what else is needed...

AF = Aqua Fortis
      AR = Aqua Regia
      CS = Crystallized Sulfur
      EV = Empty Vial
      FS = Fine Salt
      OV = Oil of Vitrol
      RS = Rock Salt
      SP = Saltpeter
      VMA = Vial of Muriatic Acid
      VPW = Vial of Pure Water
      WF = Water Flask

1) Purchase the following items from the vendor:
      100 EV, 80 WF, 50 RS, 145 GHS (20 + 75 + 50)

2) Make 100 VPW:
      100 EV [5 stacks] + 80 EF [4 stacks] + 20 GHS [a partial stack]

3) Make 75 OV:
      75 CS + 75 GHS + 75 SP + 75 VPW

4) Make 25 AF
      25 OV + 25 SP

5) Make 50 FS
      50 RS

6) Make 50 VMA
      50 OV + 50 FS + 50 GHS

7) Make 25 AR
      25 VMA + 25 AF

Results:

25 AR (step 7)
      25 VMA (left over from step 6)
      25 VPW (left over from step 2)

Again this assumes zero failures, but at 102 trivial it is still possible to fail with 300 raw skill + 15% modifier + Arcane Tongues 3 (the research mastery AAs), so it is a good idea to have extra saltpeter and crystallized sulfur available.

Now you are ready to start purchasing other items needed to make solutions, including making more Vials of Pure Water as necessary for the recipes.

Gorse
      Last edited by Gorse; 08-04-2008, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Do the LoY spells have new receipes? Do we have to figure them out by experimenting?

Comment

Loy Spells are Quested, I doubt they will be researched.

There were no LoY reciepies to test in beta (outside of swatches), which probably means there arent any

Comment

There any good places to Farm binding powder I am looking for Elaborate or better

[email protected]

Comment

Research Basics

I'm a complete beginner to spell research. I've been told that the old system of researching was completely overhauled recently. Is there a place to start for me to learn the VERY basics of the new system? As a necro I bought the book of dark bindings and three sets of words to combine for my first spell only to learn that that isn't how to do it any longer. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comment

Spell Research
                Tradeskill Trophy Quest
                Researcher Charm

0 - 20 Guild Trainer.
                21 - 35 Quill of the Prophet
                36 - 54 Vial of Pure Water- Save all.
                55 - 62 Training rune
                63 - 95 Journeyman Rune
                96 - 102 Oil of Vitrol - Save all.
                103 - 112 LoY Swatches (Req. skill: 101)
                113 - 144 Parchment Solution
                145 - 174 Fine Parchment solution
                175 - 203 Vellum Parchment solution
                204 - 216 Fine Vellum Parchment solution
                217 - 243 Runic Parchment Solution
                244 - 262 Any spell thats 262 trivial
                263 - 292 Any spell thats 292 trivial
                293 - 300 Any spell thats 292+ trivial

Alternative (TSS) to 262: Researcher Ceramic Clay (involves farming Drake Wing Webbing)
                Alternate to 300: Glowing Energeiac Rod

Alliance Artisan
                Proud owner of Artisan's Prize.

Comment

LoY Swatches can be made at any skill level using the research kit.

The 100+ limitation was never a minimum on the combine itself. The LoY research containers just couldn't be obtained from the NPC in Gunthak below that skill level.

Comment

I have verified that you can indeed do the LoY swatches at any level, at a level 81 necromancer, put them in the kit, and it works fine. Just hard to find the words.
                    You know, you supposed to be some slick-**** killer. Now look at you... all back-of-the-bus and ****. - Toombs

Comment

SoD Changes

Heh. needs big work.

Q: Who can do research?
                      Q: What classes' spells can I research?
                      Q: Can I research tomes for melee disciplines?
                      Any class may research.
                      Int-casters may make any spell or song.
                      Priests may make priest spells.
                      Bards may make hybrid spells, tomes, and songs.
                      Hybrids may make hybrid spells and tomes.
                      Melees may make any tomes.

Melee and Int-casters may proceed directly to 300 skill.
                      The other classes must use AAs to advance past 200.

Q: How do I get my Spell Research Kit?
                      Research vendors in Coranthus Creep, Crescent Reach or POK (among other places).

Q: Do all classes use the spell research kit?
                      No, the other kits are Tome Binding Kit, Hybrid Research Kit, Prayer Writing Kit and Song Writing Kit.

Q: Can all classes use the trophies?
                      As of this writing, non-int-casters can only get the Beginner Trophy Quest (at skill 50-99) and advance it from there. If the researcher gets to 100 before receiving a trophy quest, he must wait until new quests are put in place.

Q. Do all classes get research AAs like Arcane Tongues?
                      No, only int-casters get AAs to decrease failure rate.
                      Last edited by Shadrok; 11-21-2008, 10:19 PM. Reason: What Gorse said
                      Trophies: Fr-2 Jour-4 Exp-8 Mast-6 GM-29

Comment

Originally posted by Shadrok View Post
                        Melee and Int-casters may proceed directly to 300 skill.
                        The other classes must use AAs to advance past 200.
                        Corrected.

Gorse

Comment

Im also new to spell research - with my mage.

I have a ton of runes collected from leveling her up from mob drops, can they still be used for spells?

if so...how do I use then in the research kit? all the listings and guide i found don`t really give a step by step on how to use these runes in the kit...do I need water? paper? scizzors? rocks? (yes thats how newbish i am) or do i just pop the rune in and hit combine to make a spell?

Thanks

Comment

also....

I am reading up on how to become a researching, I know most cases its best to dive in and learn by trial and error, and normally I do. I also like to first break the ice on reading up on others findings to some smidgen of familiarity is in place when I do crack open the research book for the first time.

Well in my delving of information on EQtraders, I am finding some out dated info (I think) and its confusing to a newb like myself, what I am referring to is on the main site the clicky for the research section, (I cant link anything yet) first info you come across as a newb reads....

Practice Research
                            -by Tyfold
                            Practice runes are a skill-up route given to researchers from 0-182 skill. As the various runes and words and pages are difficult to farm consistently, this provides a much more consistent path towards journeyman research.

Each skill-up combine consists of two incomplete runes, Azia and Beza, which produce a complete rune. The two incomplete runes are no-fail combines of various farmed ingredients.
                            Im thinking the books listed below, are no longer used according to the FAQ here on the forums and need to be updated on this website.

But is any of the other info any good? the info on the beza and Azia runes for practicing?

edit* Further investigating (using Allahkazams) I found the quests for the Concordance Of Research are still active and underway, so early skill ups are avail on these Beza and Azia Practice runes (and are combined in the new research book I assume?)

The incomplete runes are made in the Concordance Of Research, which is quested for, and the complete runes are combined in your class-unique spell-research container:
                            Enchanter – Phantasmal Tome or Tome Of Endless Enchantments
                            Magician – Arch Magus Grimoire or Elemental Grimoire
                            Necromancer – Book Of Dark Bindings or Warlock's Book Of Binding
                            Wizard - Lexicon or Sorcerer's Lexicon
                            Last edited by Tudana; 12-31-2008, 12:50 PM.

Comment

0 - 20 Guild Trainer.
                              21 - 35 Quill of the Prophet
                              36 - 54 Vial of Pure Water- Save all.
                              55 - 62 Training rune
                              63 - 95 Journeyman Rune
                              96 - 102 Oil of Vitrol - Save all.
                              103 - 112 LoY Swatches (Req. skill: 101)
                              113 - 144 Parchment Solution
                              145 - 174 Fine Parchment solution
                              175 - 203 Vellum Parchment solution
                              204 - 216 Fine Vellum Parchment solution
                              217 - 243 Runic Parchment Solution
                              244 - 262 Any spell thats 262 trivial
                              263 - 292 Any spell thats 292 trivial
                              293 - 300 Any spell thats 292+ trivial
                              Is Journeyman Rune still an option? I get DNC when I try to make the Beza, haven't attempted Azia yet. I'm using the ingredients listed (Star Rose Quartz, Burned Out Lightstone, Quill, Piece of Parchment, Raw-hide xx) in the Spell Research Kit. I read elsewhere that raw-hide belt is interchangeable with sleeves, boots, wrist or gloves? Is this true or is it belt only?

Thanks.
                              Last edited by Safyra; 12-31-2008, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X