No announcement yet.

Smithers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You also use polishing rouge when making jewelry. Sigh, yes calling the water sprinkler a clicky stick is a bit of a defamation, but I sure do like calling my weapon a leafblower.

Derailing slightly, but are there any rockhounds who get bugged by the stones being the wrong colors? For example, rhodochrosite is rose red(and spelled wrong in game), zoicite is usually green, and the emerald icon is clearly a tourmaline. (And I have never heard of a fire emerald.)
    Distracted Druid Storm Warden of JinXed on Vazaelle

(see that Moderator tag - well that is for the Vazaelle marketplace, my posts and opinions should not be considered as anything but my own and not reflect poorly on the folks doing all the hard stuff here. )

Comment

Originally posted by Frerin the Smith
      *sigh* My ignore list gets longer

Some days, I wonder if I will see the "You can't have more then 100 people ignored" message very soon.

-Lilosh
      Venerable Noishpa Taltos , Planar Druid, Educated Halfling, and GM Baker.
      President and Founder of the Loudmouthed Sarcastic Halflings Society
      Also, Smalltim

So take the fact of having a dirty mind as proof that you are world-savvy; it's not a flaw, it's an asset, if nothing else, it's a defense - Sanna

Comment

Originally posted by Froni Thunderpaws
        Derailing slightly, but are there any rockhounds who get bugged by the stones being the wrong colors? For example, rhodochrosite is rose red(and spelled wrong in game), zoicite is usually green, and the emerald icon is clearly a tourmaline. (And I have never heard of a fire emerald.)
        hehe, I'm a geologist (by major anyways) and them not being the right color bugs the heck out of me. I keep sending in suggestions and bug reports, maybe there will be an uber geology patch one day soon And the emerald to me just looks like an oval-cut emerald.

BOT, I've been called a fletchist before and been asked if I do fletchering. Still trying to figure out where those two words came from o_O
        Retired -
        Avelyna, 69 ranger
        Tiadari, 62 druid
        Syrarri, 52 beastlord
        Rodcet Nife

Comment

Oops my mistake - yup emerald looks OK, the fire emerald is the tourmaline.

(see that Moderator tag - well that is for the Vazaelle marketplace, my posts and opinions should not be considered as anything but my own and not reflect poorly on the folks doing all the hard stuff here. )

Comment

Bah, EVERY epic has a demeaning nickname.

Clicky Stick
            DuckStaff
            Leafblower.

I forget the rest off hand.... But almost every epic has one.

-Lilosh
            Venerable Noishpa Taltos , Planar Druid, Educated Halfling, and GM Baker.
            President and Founder of the Loudmouthed Sarcastic Halflings Society
            Also, Smalltim

So take the fact of having a dirty mind as proof that you are world-savvy; it's not a flaw, it's an asset, if nothing else, it's a defense - Sanna

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlilly
              Originally posted by Lilosh
              I also hate Tailorer!

-Lilosh
              Prefer Seamstress?
              Suddenly reminded me of the 'Seamstresses' guild in Ankh-Morpork.

And the 'Real Seamstress' in Nightwatch.

heh heh

Comment

Originally posted by Carmaris
                A smithy is also one who smiths.
                I'd like to see a reference for this. I've never heard of this use and can't find any reference on it myself, so if you can find one, I'd sure be interested.

Thanks!

--Inyidd
                Inyidd Bullneck - Dorf Waryer - Morell-Thule

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every last second of it!

Comment

Main Entry: smithy
                  Pronunciation: 'smi-thE also -[th]E
                  Function: noun
                  Inflected Form(s): plural smith·ies
                  Date: 13th century
                  1 : the workshop of a smith
                  2 : BLACKSMITH

From the Mirriam-Webster Online dictionary.

Comment

Of course, the one dictionary I didn't reference. I'll have to look into it more. This is the first I've heard of this particular use.

--Inyidd
                    Inyidd Bullneck - Dorf Waryer - Morell-Thule

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every last second of it!

Comment

My Random House Webster's College Dictionary has the same listing with both usages.

Comment

Originally posted by Frerin the Smith
                        Main Entry: smithy
                        Pronunciation: 'smi-thE also -[th]E
                        Function: noun
                        Inflected Form(s): plural smith·ies
                        Date: 13th century
                        1 : the workshop of a smith
                        2 : BLACKSMITH

From the Mirriam-Webster Online dictionary.
                        My Oxford English Dictionary (1996) has it down as;
                        1 - A blacksmiths workshop
                        2 - a forge
                        From Old Norse smithja

(for note it also has smith down as 1 - Worker in metal (Goldsmith). so technically a jewelcrafter could call themselves a smith (as in silversmith etc...).[/i][/u]
                        Kcalehc K'Venalis
                        Teir`Dal Overlord
                        Officer, Trader and Gentleman
                        Order of the Raven's Tear
                        Tholuxe Paells (Bertoxxulous)

Comment

Bah, EVERY epic has a demeaning nickname.

Clicky Stick
                          DuckStaff
                          Leafblower.
                          (Holy) Hilt
                          (Baby) Rattle
                          Lightsabers (although that's not overly demeaning)

Don't remember any for the rest

-----

When I started doing smithing in EQ, I always felt weird calling myself a "smith", because I only worked with the ore (and eventually MQ ore), not things like silver and gold, so I was a blacksmith, not a goldsmith or somesuch, and "smith" doesn't make that destinction. I eventually learned real life terms had very little impact on ingame terms, and eventually accepted "smith" as my title.

I've never been called a "smither" (knock on wood) ... but plenty of people demanding 250+ (what's 250+ anyway? someone with a gearlock to reach 251 or 252? lol) for what are combines easily doable at 200 or a little higher. (and of course, paying minimally if at all).

I've never heard of the smith being referred to as a smithy ... interesting.

Comment

Can't say with 100% accuracy without doing research I don't feel like doing, but I'm fairly certain that using "smithy" to refer to the blacksmith him/herself comes out of the American Old West. I have seen it used in fantasy literature, but that was most likely by american authors.
                            Sir Carmaris Stoneheart
                            Dwarven Lord Crusader
                            Beezle Bug
                            High Elf Templar
                            Bertoxxulous
                            Debeo Amicitia

Comment

I feel like opening a can of worms.

Tinker? (kind of a travelling salesman) Tinkerer? (so crude) Tink? Tinkle?
                              Tailoring - 250 (Zillia 225)
                              Brewing - 250 (Zillia 250)
                              Baking - 250 (Zillia 250)
                              Blacksmithing - 218 (Zillia 225)
                              Fishing - 200
                              Fletching - 200 (Zillia 235)
                              Pottery - 198 (Zillia 227)
                              Jewelcraft - 195 (Zillia 250)
                              Thread-killing - 250

Comment

tinker

\Tink"er\, n. [From Tink, because the tinker's way of proclaiming his trade is to beat a kettle, or because in his work he makes a tinkling noise. Johnson.] 1. A mender of brass kettles, pans, and other metal ware. ``Tailors and tinkers.'' --Piers Plowman.

2. One skilled in a variety of small mechanical work.

\Tink"er\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Tinkered; p. pr. & vb. n. Tinkering.] To mend or solder, as metal wares; hence, more generally, to mend.

\Tink"er\, v. i. To busy one's self in mending old kettles, pans, etc.; to play the tinker; to be occupied with small mechanical works.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

Copy / pasted (and edited for relevance) from www.dictionary.com

Hence, a tinker (the noun) is the person who tinkers (the verb).
                                Sir KyrosKrane Sylvanblade
                                Master Artisan (300 + GM Trophy in all) of Luclin (Veeshan)
                                Master Fisherman (200) and possibly Drunk (2xx + 20%), not sober enough to tell!
                                Lightbringer, Redeemer, and Valiant servant of Erollisi Marr

Comment

Working...
                                X