This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Timper Tantrum
    Now I would like to know why the heck Collapsed items are lore??? This makes attempts very slow unless i just destroy them since vendors dont pay jack for them.

So why are these lore??? And why cant there be something to take us to 250 on storebought suppplies
    I think your answer to these questions are interconnected.

Other tinkers. Think about it.

Imagine collapsed items stop being lore tomorrow. By 15 minutes after serverup, some random guy will have 600 Collapsed Spits on his trader for 3 plat each. :-)

Same goes for why there couldn't be a storebough path for 250. Take a look at JC, or Brewing, and show me an item under 250 that hasnt been beaten to death under a herd of GM skillers.

People complained, and in the case of tinkering, the devs kind of listened.

-Lilosh
    Venerable Noishpa Taltos , Planar Druid, Educated Halfling, and GM Baker.
    President and Founder of the Loudmouthed Sarcastic Halflings Society
    Also, Smalltim

So take the fact of having a dirty mind as proof that you are world-savvy; it's not a flaw, it's an asset, if nothing else, it's a defense - Sanna

Comment

Originally posted by Lilosh
      Imagine collapsed items stop being lore tomorrow. By 15 minutes after serverup, some random guy will have 600 Collapsed Spits on his trader for 3 plat each. :-)
      Yup, lore is far better, keeps the price up and one sold at a decent price pays for a lot of destroyed ones. Win, win.
      It's up to you, what you do will decide your own fate.
      Make your choice now, for tomorrow may be far too late. -- Twisted Sister

Comment

Pretty much in agreement - as much as I despise the LORE tag, it preserves the market. Take a look at geerloks. Its common to find dumping of geerloks Shadowhaven from an uninformed tinker skilling up. However, what happens is that a merchant miner will come buy these off the NPC for 13-20p and hawk them in the bazaar for 30p. Ruins your own market by dumping where others can buy it cheap.
        With collapsers, SOE took away the money incentive for dumping and most tinkers destroy or player-sell as they skill-up. Along with the LORE tag, this keeps the number of collapsed containers in-game to a minimum.

The only recent setback was the shared bank window which allows players to easily swap sets of collapsers between their characters. But hey - allows me to do that during creation to, so I'm not whining.

Comment

If you are worried about flooding the market like I do (with any tradeskill combine--solstice robes are down to 170 on solro and spider silks are going for 15pp ugh ) but hate having to destroy items, fear not, there are a couple easy solutions.

1. Sell to a vendor that is "unmineable". Merchant tekrama (the guy who sells the satchels in bazaar) is the first to come to mind simply because EVERYONE sells to him and the cost to any miner is 100% prohibitive. (NB--wait a day or 2 after a patch just to be safe)

2. Reset a vendor, and no I don't mean the rude way by pulling a vendor off their spawn point (making it impossible for everyone to buy or sell). There are 4 vendors world wide that you can reset and usually gain a little bit of plat in the process. These are the four "HQ ore quest" vendors. There is one in Qeynos (ironforge iirc), one in Kaladim (everhot forge iirc), the gnome ore vendor in the middle of bazaar and the single vah shir smith in the room connected to the other 2 kitties near the JC vendors in PoK. Just hail them until you get a 4 slot box and then put either 4 small bricks of unrefined ore OR 4 large bricks of unrefined ore. Click combine and hand the finished box back and presto chango, the merchant depops and repops with an empty inventory and you've also restocked them with HQ ore should you need it

Comment

I think i disagree to the feeling here of markets being flooded with items thus moving the prices down.

This is a good thing! I think prices should be low. Why should peole have to pay crazy prices for stuff that cost near nothing to make??

I do tradeskills to enjoy the creation of the item and Im happy to sell them for little over cost. I dont have to charge 3 5 10 times the cost of the items just because I can make somethign others cant, that's just greedy.

EQ economy is absolutely ridiculous, it ensures that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer and those of us stuck in the middle never get anywhere hehehe

Timper Tantrum - Fallen Alliance

Comment

The problem is people aren't making those items to sell. They are making them to skill up and then dump them on the market. These same items are also the main things a tinker sells. So because the rich just want skill ups, they make the items, destroy the prices, but the poor guy who's trying to make the skill pay for itself as he works his way up...he's hosed. And the guy who spent a lot of time and money building up his skill who wants to make a bit of that back, wants to charge what his time is worth, he's hosed.

Also, there's a big gap between fair prices and insane ones. Two types of insane prices as well. There's insanely high, which is stupid, as it just encourages people to pick up the tradeskill, not for love of the tradeskill, but for $$$. And there's insanely low, where you aren't making any real money off the item.

Now, lore helps stop the insanely low. And the insanely high? You can stop that. Charge what you believe is fair. Nobody is stopping you from charging any price you feel like charging.
              It's up to you, what you do will decide your own fate.
              Make your choice now, for tomorrow may be far too late. -- Twisted Sister

Comment

Lore & Pricing

I want to thank you all for the information within. Many of my friends have their own specialty: Friend is GM Bowyer, Wife is GM Brewer, Brother-in-Law is GM Tailor and Smith so I set out to find my niche. I really like the idea of tinkering, as it has such a unique position in the tradeskill arena. "One human's junk is another gnome's treasure".

I enjoy the occasional dumpster dive, coming up with a couple Porous Mineral Blocks for 5 gold each. Clicking combine to see whether the luck is with me and if I have learned a better way of making something ( skill up ). Producing things unique and apart from any other race on the face of Norrath or Luclin.

I try not to dump my skillups on the market unless they are at a reasonable price. I can't see ruining another gnomes labor just so I can fence a product gathering dust. Its better to click destroy or hand out gifts to friends, guildies, or the poor youth who could use a geerlok but doesn't have the coin.

Don't ruin the market for others, because you will find you may have ruined it for yourself as well.
                Damundleberg Trinketbinder
                Gnome Magician
                Torvonnilous
                "Trinketbinder Toys: Ask for them by name!"

Comment

For the most part, I did collapsed tackleboxes, fermentation devices and inno cams to skill up. The cost on those is practically nothing. Followed by the new geerloks -- I either farmed the GoG beach, paid farmers, or bought parts from venders. From 238 to 250 I did mostly elem cams and the occasional lockpick. I only tracked costs from about 200 onward, and spent probably in the neighborhood of 30K. That investment was already returned two-fold before I even reached 250, even though I've sold most geerloks below cost (I stockpiled on mules, and only sold items to venders when there was no way I could: a. hold more, b. ever sell the item (aka the tinkering geerlok). I recommend selling to a vender who is already full, thus sending your item into the cyber black hole.

Comment

I've been doing a combo of assorted items to get from 130+. Fermentation Geerloks when the camp is free and flamebolts when its not.

Started doing the fermentations at about 80, and at 140 started to get bored. So I hit the bazaar for gears and sprockets and stockpiled on firewater, twine and gloves and started to slam 4 stacks together. Went from 137 to 159 with that run.

Nice to see non-tinkers selling gears and sprockets for 15pp each, always good for a smile.
                    Tom Gardengnome
                    Enchanter - Quellious
                    Radiant

Comment

Okay, I gotta question the idea of skilling up on brewing geerloks.

I took my necro in to farm porous mineral blocks, and in an hour of farming, got 2. Two.

A friend of mine was leveling up his twink in there for several hours and got 1. One.

Did they nerf the drop rate? Or did I (and my friend) just have bizarrely bad luck? Because if this is a typical drop rate, farming enough of these things to get from 122 to 215 will be *extremely* painful.
                      Last edited by Binkin; 03-20-2004, 01:06 AM.
                      Binkin Anklebane, Archon of Bristlebane
                      Battle Cleric of Mischief
                      Slayer of Anything That Threatens Da Ranja

Comment

Porous Mineral Blocks

I have a 65th ranger that I use to run thru the entire lair and pull all the netherbians at one time. I (64th gnome wiz) use 1 cast of Winds of Gelid and kill them all in 1 shot. I have gotten from 1 to 8 blocks per clearing. I have been farming these for about 8 weeks and have gone from 128 to 205 because lack of funds. 3 mobs are stuck permanantly in the walls as I track them and figured that out. After the clearing 2-4 others will spawn. I'm not sure why they do this, but just wanted to give you all the info.
                        I have bound in Abysmal at the bank and run to the tinkering merchant to grab corks and bottles 1 stack each at a time. then nexus gate and run to Shadowhaven and sit down at the tinkering guy for the stills and tubing. I get on average 1 skill up per 10 before I hit about 191, now I'm getting about 1 / 20.
                        I'll post more later. Oh yeah, I've gotten over 10k in tribute points from turning these in for 24 points per tribute in Ak'Anon. I don't bother flooding the market with these.
                        Last edited by zanfugal; 03-23-2004, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Geerlok Automated Hammer, All it cost is time

My Gnome now has a Tinkering skill of 134 and for me the geerlok hammer works good.
                          I can farm the acrylia from the grimlings in Tenebrous Mountains and after selling the runes, gems and weapons they drop it's been covering the cost of buying the other parts (gears,bolts,sprockets, grease and smithy hammer) and usually have some plat left over.

One run I'll use the left over plat after making the hammers to hit Gunthak merchants for quills, rigging, maneater roots and scorpion venom that been sold there instead of farming those.

And the next run I'll use the left plat to buy the gears and stuff I need to make combines with the items I bought from the first run.

And if I put the windstones, acrylia blocks and large bricks on a bazaar mule and sell them instead of cutting them down into pieces for tinkering it really more than covers the cost of making the hammers.

So the only thing I'm out is the time to farm the acrylia. No dipping into my bank account.

Comment

210 - 250 elemental bow cams
                            Ueauvan aka Judge U
                            Tunare via Drinal

Comment

Skill ups

Foldable mixing bowls are lore and sell to merchants for 1 copper YUCK:-(

Comment

Originally posted by Zaltak
                                Foldable mixing bowls are lore and sell to merchants for 1 copper YUCK:-(
                                The trick Zaltak is not to be in a rush and to use the cash from collapsibles to pay for skillups via other routes - eg. high end bow cams.

Plane of Fire is a very popular grinding location amongst some players especially enchanters. That means Molten Metal ore can often be found in bulk very cheaply. This will change from server to server but on Stromm at least I have picked up Molten Metal Ore for 5pp per block and in batches of 8 to 10 batches at a time.

How did I pay for that and all the grease to go with them? Collapsibles.

Those bowls a vendor will buy at 1cp will sell to players for 500pp each depending on your server market. One day I was offered a Hammer of the Wind in exchange for a Mixing Bowl and Fletching Kit. I sold that in turn for 15kpp. (I think that player was totally insane but I wasn't going to refuse)

As soon as I got to the high hundreds and was able to make collapsibles my tinkering never looked back. Collapsibles are steady solid income for me and they have paid for my earlier tinkering many, many times over.

Comment

Working...
                                X