This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skilling up: 50 to 250

Cross posting this here as there's many that come looking here first, maybe it'll save on some questions (Hope you don't mind it sticky Mum, if so, feel free to un-sticky )

I have been swarmed by this question to no end since PoP release, and even though some of you may not like me posting this here, I'm tossing it out anyways, in hopes that it will quench the masses of all the tells and messages I get on a daily basis.

This is just my thoughts and opinions on a good way to skill up, please feel free to toss any suggestions out with anything you feel may fit a particular block of the way better than my suggestions.

First off: Get your Gnome to level 16, and get him/her as much INT/WIS (depending on class) gear that you are able to, in order to help with the skill ups.

Now, once you've hit level 16, your skill of 50 in tinkering can now be raised. Here goes nothing....

50-75:Standard Bow Cams – These can be sold to Fletchers (or used yourself) to get your Fletching skill up, therefore netting a minimal loss of money invested.

76-95:Spyglass – Cheap to make, easy to sell as an icon buff, insta-click item (Good for use against dispelling mobs for those that don’t know)

96-102:Stalking Probe – 5 Charge Eye of Zomm, sells quite easily in bulk to puller types, and many others as well. It's a small range for skill up's, but is something that you can continue to make and sell.

103-122:Powered Gloves – Decent sell back on success to vendors, so that it doesn't end up being overly costly for these 20 points or so

NOTE: This is where a lot of people will decide to go straight to doing geerloks (Brewing being the least costly) to get to 215, as the recipe's inbetween can be somewhat painful at times from the total clicks needed, usefulness of the item being made, etc.

123-135:Tinkered Catapult – Get your Fletcher friend that you made all those cams for to make you some bows and make these. You can then make Happy Dragon’s and Metrological Rockets that sell quite easily as pulling tools and there are always people that are more than happy to be able to stop the rain. This step is a bit more costly, but overall, would fit the bill the best, unless you skip it outright and move past the next few to do either Geerloks of any sort, or Collapsible's.

136-150:Base Prototype – Used to make Anizok’s devices (Gauze, Shrink/Grow). Make these, save them up, and use them when making the devices for sale and/or skill up.

151-162:Advanced Propulsion Unit – Used in making Happy Dragon and Metrlogical Rocket. Depending on the market on your server for these, you may want to jump to the pumps, as they have more use in combines further down the road.

163-168:Perpetual Air/Steam Pump – Used to make Anizok’s Shrink/Grow devices. Save these, along with the base prototype's for combines down the road.

169-215:Geerlok xxxxx – Automated Hammers and Fletching are the easiest if you have money to burn, otherwise Brewing fits the bill for lower cost skill ups, just requires more time to farm the drops needed. Optional: Toss in some of the following to spice things up if you like:
    Collapsed Mortar & Pestle (206-207)
    Clockwork Bracer (<207)
    Clockwork Helm (>207)
    Innovative Bow Cams (208)
    Anizok's Maximizing Device (210)
    Anizok's Minimizing Device (212)

216-222:Collapsible Spit or Geerlok Alchemy Set – Sell to tradeskillers, quite self explanatory.

223:Collapsible Bowl – See Collapsible Spit. This may be one you'd want to skip as it's got quite a number of combines needed compared to the next ones on the list.

224:Collapsible Jewelers Kit – See Collapsible Spit

226:Collapsible Sewing Kit – See Collapsible Spit

227:Collapsible Tacklebox or Collapsible Fletching Kit – See Collapsible Spit

226<233: Geerlok Automated Pestle – Make your local Rogue's happy

232: Geerlok Automated Quill – Happy Spell Crafters here!

228-242:Collapsible Toolbox – Sell as part of a kit with Anizok's devices, GVD, clockwork armor, etc.

243-250:Anizok’s Gauze Press/Gnomish Vanishing Device/Clockwork Observer/Shadowwalker Armor – The Gauze Press is still a very useful item for many that realize it’s potential, don’t let the hype get you down. As for GVD's, I still have a constant request list for these, so whenever I get access to my Ranger to farm, I do it as much as I can as they are still hi profit sellers. Clockwork armor (if you don't mind the smithing that is) dropped items can also be farmed at the time of hunting haze panthers, as you can kill holgresh while looking for them as well, or spend time in the holgresh cave.

As I said, feel free to add your own opinions, there's different varying options available throughout the process, depending on the time, pp and patience that you are willing to set forth.

I'll keep this one up to date with any good options people recommend

EDIT: Changes made/added March 17, 2003

Exarch Laearya Lifeblood
    65th Tunarean Archon of Sol Invictus

Bhadgar - Level 46 Rallos Zek Warrior
    Trinkets
    20th Gnomish Enchanter
    ~ Premiere Grandmaster Tinkerer ~ <250>
    The Tribunal

I would totally and completely skip the collapsed bowl step, unless you really want to do 9 combines per finished product... But that's just me. (:

Comment

Tinkering...

I agree -- skip the bowls. Ugh!

242 on -- you may want to consider clockwork armor if you have the smithing skill to make fine steel and don't mind doing some farming (holgresh are probably the best mob for time invested versus getting something to use for more skillups -- I have lots of wings and fur banked from the roamers that have aggro'd when hunting haze panthers). Also may want to consider wok's if you can get access to the carapaces.
      Handor, 65 wiz, 250 tinkerer, baker, brewer, fletcher, jewelcrafter, potter, smith, tailor, 200 fisher, (with 8th shawl, signet of the arcane)
      Lottsa, 65 war
      Byzan, 65 clr (with 8th shawl)
      Skeetereeter, 65 shm (with 8th shawl)
      Darwine, 55 drd and 250 halfling tailor (with 6th shawl)
      Test Server

Comment

Very good point on the bowl, it is an aweful lot more clicks per combine than the others.

As for clockwork, I added that in for post 242 as well, I only left it out initially as it's more time consuming than the others, and doesn't net XP at the higher levels, like PoI can.

Exarch Laearya Lifeblood

Trinkets
        20th Gnomish Enchanter
        The Tribunal

Comment

Guess we need to amend this since the clockwork armor trivials have dropped.
          Rasper Helpdesk

Atlane's Appendix

Comment

Very true, I'd probably go the route of avoiding clockwork for skill up's with what is all involved with it for it's trivial's

Exarch Laearya Lifeblood

Trinkets
            20th Gnomish Enchanter
            The Tribunal

Comment

Thanks for this list
              sounds good

1 thing can someone say how much is the cost of these :
              Base Protype
              Advanced Propulsion Unit
              Perpetual Air / Steam Pump

because i'd like to calculate the average money i'll need to increase from 122 to 215

and if someone have also the whole PoP recipies prices it would be awesome

Thanks in advance.
              Xaskin LeTeigneux

Gnome Necromancer on Karana
              Tinker (143)

Comment

The Tinkering Compendium will have all the info you want, check out the the sticked post in the section for your way there

Exarch Laearya Lifeblood

Trinkets
                20th Gnomish Enchanter
                The Tribunal

Comment

242 - 250

elemental bow cams
                  Remolwen Branford

Comment

New Master Tinkerer

Managed to get from 52 to 115 in about 6hrs of really hard Tinkerering last weekend just finally recovered form the brain wipe that caused :shock: Was wondering if someone could possible put a cost per combine sheet up for the listed items in the guide, as I'm having problems figuring out what's gonna be the most cost effective way to skill up?

Xatikben
                    16 Gnome Shadow Knight
                    Bertox Server

115 Tinkering
                    Mystkyller Wyndryder
                    63 Outrider of Karana
                    Bertox Server

139 Fishing ; 175 Baking ; 115 Tailoring ;
                    128 Smithing ; 202 Fletching ; 168 Brewing ;
                    21 Jewelercraft ; 192 Pottery

Comment

At 130 I started making collapsible spits. For me, selling one spit for 600pp covers the cost of enough attempts to get two or three more. So from 130 upwards, at the moment, it's self funding.

Comment

I would say from 103 to 215 to just do the Geerloks.

Sure, you can do the base prototypes and APUs and stuff, but those either require parts that are a pain to get (steel casing), don't stack (bow, catapult, steel casing), or have ingredients that you have to make first (bow, catapult).

It's also cheaper. The Geerloks cost 30pp max, while the steel casing alone is 42pp.

Not to mention that they don't stack either, so the "save these for later" advice isn't practical for most people.

With the Geerloks, especially since you can buy the parts for them in Shadowhaven, all you need is one mob drop item, which can usually be found by vendor diving.

The belt of leathery fungus flesh, in particular, can be found on vendors outside Paludal in vast quantities, so making the fletching geerlok is probably the way to go.

Comment

Geerlocks

But they don't sell ... or at least not in any numbers to fund the work. Not all of us can afford to make and destroy stuff.

I've made 10k selling tradeskill containers, which I'm using to fund more skillups.

Comment

Smithing Gerlocks

I was going to Basar and by all small piece of acrylia and making the Smithing Gerlock Item. I have locking for only 20 Combenier you need ca 1k. Making this at SH are the best Loc. You have the tinkerling Merchant and the Smithing Vendor near. So you can by many Stuffs from tinkerling and going with manz Weight to Smithing Vendor and sitt down and bz the smith hammer and making the smithing Hammers and sold it when you are full too.
                            At Solusek Ro i sell on my mule in Bazaar Gerlocks Items only max 50pp per Items and so i sell it at Vendor.

Comment

Crab crackers (new) &amp; woks -- 243-250

I wandered around PoK and PoT and easily bought 15 knuckle joints and 6 carapaces in a few minutes from vendors and the other components are cheap and easy to get. Small group of 50+ people is needed if you're going to farm the parts, but the good news is that no one but tinkers working in this range usually want them cause they dont stack.

I might get an inadvertant skillup in this range from making the new gnomish cultural but just for skillin, the crackers and woks seem to be the way to go.

~ Jv

Comment

Working...
                              X