Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ER.. this is going to sound quite a bit dense but..

What's the point of having a mule for MTP combines only?

Besides the obvious 'not enough room on main to store things'.. you'd still have to transfer a lot through the shared slot, right? Or is there something i'm missing..?

Now, I can see skilling up the mule to about 100 in as many ts's as you can afford, so they can do almost all the dinky low triv combines, but um...still leaves the question of "How do you get that to your main with the l337 b4king sk1llz?"

Thats my real question though..

/em wanders away, boggling at how she's ever going to get her skill past 191

"Are you sure you dont want me to tank, Mr Heal Plz?"

Art by Apolline.

Comment

shared bank or second account.

i do 200 combine mtp runs. get 2 open ten slot bags and fill with baskets and beer. have mixing bowl and components for everything which takes another bag or two i think. have 8 spaces open in two bags and stick one on one side of oven and other on other side with ingrdients facing in so i dont run my mouse accross stuff. have some space for successes YAY! all done on my main. by the end i get the 10 slot bag full of items for combines and 6 slots on another bag for a 2 deep row

bag 1

spoon collapsed mixing bowl
      picnic basket picnics basket
      royal mint royal mint
      cheese cheese
      fennel jum jum stalk

bag 2

cake slice cake slice
      cake slice cake slice
      salad salad
      sandwich sandwich
      beer beer

that is what my bags look like with the oven between. as a wizard i get alchemy supplies in pok and am bound at forge in rivervale by the halfling with jum jum. slice cake in oven to refill and make other stuff in mixing bowl at the end of those 40. grab some beer and baskets from other bags. can do it with some stuff on my toon still and a full bank.
      Last edited by eniamn; 12-05-2003, 09:55 AM.

Maker of Picnics.
      Cooker of things best left unidentified.
      "Grimrose points to the sky. Look! Up in the sky, it's a bird, no, a plane, no it's Picnic-Man. It's Emiamn, a mild mannered tradeskiller by day but daring handsome crime fighter at night. Spreading peace and joy to norrath with his mighty Picnics!"

Comment

Just my 2cp worth.
        I created a mule for my MTP. Loaded him up with lots of trader satchels and just transfered the subcombines from my main to my mule. When all is said and done, I have enough on my mule to do 200 combines. Just get 2 bags in your bank item tranfer boxes and start start filling them with Picnic goodies. That will give your main enough to try 40 combines at a time. Just rinse and repeat until all your sub combines are done Then start all over again.
        This way, your baker doesn't have to fill up precious bank space with picnic ingredients.

Baking (250) Brewing (191) Smithing (171) Fishin' (145)
        Tiluvian Elvensong, 53rd Minstrel
        Torvonnilous

Comment

keep some leftovers, veggies, fruit, adn eggs and winter chocolate in bank. normally all in one deluxe toolbox. prefer tool boxes to trader's satchels except for selling in bazaar. weight to run around with everywhere else is horrendous.

Maker of Picnics.
          Cooker of things best left unidentified.
          "Grimrose points to the sky. Look! Up in the sky, it's a bird, no, a plane, no it's Picnic-Man. It's Emiamn, a mild mannered tradeskiller by day but daring handsome crime fighter at night. Spreading peace and joy to norrath with his mighty Picnics!"

Comment

Picnic Refinements

I know the comprehensive lists above are good, and I don't intend to replace them, just tell you what *I* do when I make picnics, so that may be a few more people can do it the easy (read: lazy) way like I do.

After making probably in excess of 100,000 picnics over the past year and a half, I think I know how to make them quickly and painlessly.

I work in Shadowhaven, mostly because I can't find an alchemy merchant in Rivervale, but also because I can't stand the /ooc or the lag in PoK. And old habits die hard.

No matter where you work, these tips will work for you.

• Always make picnics in batches of 200 attempts (or 240), the stacking works out best that way. This means a full stack of everything, or a full stack plus 4. Full stack plus 4 is my usual, as that's the most that can be made easily in one sweep.
            • If you plan on making a lot of picnics, keep one bag in your bank with leftover picnic stuff. That doesn't count veggies, which you will need a lot of, or fruit, which you will also need quite a bit of. This "picnic bag" should contain the following: File, dairy spoon, cake round, brownie parts, clumps of dough, leftover jumjum cakes, leftover marmalade samdwiches, leftover apricot marmalade, and leftover bread.
            • Make your last-step ingredients as you go, rather than all at once. The large yields of the intermediate steps means that inventory management is key to efficient picnic making.
            • The exception to the previous is that you should make all your jumjum spiced beer at the beginning, because it's the only thing you can't make while sitting at the oven.
            • Never make more than 40 combines worth of last-step ingredients at once, or your inventory will fill up too quickly.

It used to take me 3-4 hours to make a batch of picnics under the old UI. After optimizing my process and using the new tradeskill UI, I can make a batch of picnics in about an hour. Success rates are approx. 50-60% at 250+trophy, so I make anywhere from 400 to 450 picnics off of 200 combines. Not too shabby for a 335 trivial.

I had tried to write up a step-by-step but I didn't want to leave anything out and it was taking too long so I'll leave it at these tips.
            Ajia Picnicqueen of Xev
            Druzzil Ro
            -----
            Blofeld Stavros of Xev
            Druzzil Ro
            -----
            Alora
            The Combine

Comment

16 bag method

To make 16 backpacksful of MTP ingredients with only very minor waste on the sandwiches:

2 bags of Royal Mints = 40 Eucalyptus Leaf, 40 Frosting

2 bags of Marmalade Sandwich (discard 8) = 34 Apricot Marmalade, 34 Loaf of Bread
              34 Apricot Marmalade (discard 2) = 6 fruit, 18 frosting

2 bags of jumjum salad = 40 fennel, 40 jumjum stalk, 40 vegetables, 40 lettuce

2 bags of mature cheese = 40 rennet, 80 bottle of milk

2 bags of picnic basket = 40 woven mandrake, 40 steel boning
              40 woven mandrake = 80 mandrake root
              40 steel boning = 40 water, 40 small brick of ore

2 bags of jumjum spiced beer = 40 water, 40 spice, 40 bottle, 40 jumjum stalk, 40 barley, 40 hops

4 bags of slice of jumjum cake = 80 jumjum cake
              80 jumjum cake = 4 clump of dough, 4 jumjum stalk, 4 winter chocolate, 4 frosting
              4 winter chocolate = 4 brownie parts, 8 frosting
              Last edited by evilsofa; 09-26-2004, 01:54 PM. Reason: silly mispelling
              Toadstomp Squishgood
              Level 70 Ogre Warrior
              Luclin Server
              Blacksmith

Comment

Much like Ajia I make my picnics in batches of 200. I have a stack of each of the pre final 10yield ingredients on me, plus the 10 stacks of beer. As I have two accts I park a mule by me at the oven to hold overflow, others would have to clear a bit more inventory space than the 3 empty bags plus mixing bowl.

I do two combines of each of the 10ups , giving me 20 combines for the picnic itself. Then go back and do the precombines and 20 more picnic combines. I do this in shadowhaven. The mule has banked the ingreds that come from afar (premade woven mandrake, steel boning, marmalade, dairy spoon, jumjum cake, and a large stash of jumjum lettuce and veggies), so my shadowhaven shopping list is all close to the oven there. Fennel and eucalyptus come from from the shammy alchemists, rennet and milk from the generic shop just by there, a loaf of bread from the halflings lady in their area, and frosting from the human area back when I was brewing the jumjum beer. Without a mule I'd just stash half the beer in the bank till needed, whilst unloading picnics made before that point.

I no longer bother to sell the picnics commercially, but I have enough banked supplies for 3-4 more runs before someone else in the guild gets to be the picnic supplier.

Meredeth/Raederle/Raphaelle, Tunare, Amicus

Comment

Recently hit 300 in baking by doing MTPs nearly all in one night from about 150 skill.
                  What I did was first fill every slot i had spare with Jumjums then went to Abysmal sea and found a Vendor with spare slots and sold the lot to him.
                  I then started making the subcombines e.g. picnic baskest, beer etc and sold them to the same vendor.
                  As the basic materials seemed so cheap I didn't lose that much when I bought them back from him and was simple to just say pick 20 or 40 of each subcombine run to oven and then go resupply.
                  It was late when I finished so did tell my guildies I had finished and there was free easy skill ups available but not many were on. The next day I was about to tell them again when i noticed my bazaar mule had been kicked and when i logged in all zones had beeen reset.

Comment

you also only need 10 Eucalyptus, rather than the listed 20
                    Alkure Al`Tikan (Magelo)

Comment

Some corrections on vendors

Fennel is purchased from Polson Medicinal
                      Loaf of Bread is purchased from Eiles (163, -48)
                      Water is also purchased from Eiles (and many others)

Comment

I counted 12 subcombines on MTP's not includeing things like files,dairy spoons and cake rounds etc.This sound correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Noni DeeCups
                          Now that PoP is out - You can get everything you need in one zone... Plane of Knowledge.

I LOVE PoK
                          The one exception being jumjum stalks. when im doing baskets, i work in batches of 200. can pop over to rivervale, and buy these from the vendor for less then 10 plat, then back to POK i go i make between 3 and 5k per day doing nothing but selling these. as much as i do em for the skillups, i also make a tidy sum of cash. it costs me 300pp or so for enough supplies to make 200 attempts.

but yer right. God Bless POK

Comment

ok, trying to skill my backing I found this post.
                            however info on number of items to buy / make is not accurate, frosting numbers is a pretty good example.
                            so I made this little spreadsheet to calculate the number of each items you'll need to make a specified number of MTP.
                            Let me know if you find any mistakes.

http://membres.lycos.fr/euri10/MTP.xls

Comment

I drew up a little diagram showing all the different subcombines and the related quantities. You can download the pdf of the drawing from http://www.eq-manager.com/MistyThicketPicnic.pdf
                              -- Mewkus: 2100 dings on the server formerly known as Solusek Ro
                              try: Inventory/Flags/Spells tracker program - (sample output)

Comment

2 subcombines not listed in the original post

Cake Round and Vegetables.

And the brownies in Steamfont don't always drop parts.
                                Last edited by Shortmid; 04-13-2006, 08:37 PM.
                                Shortmid Isnotadruid
                                70 Halfling Ranger
                                Brindlewood Leader
                                Bert (TP)

Comment

Working...
                                X