Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Path to 195

Using the info at http://www.valendor.org/gumkak/jewelcraft.asp
    I created the following for a friend of mine who was looking for help on deciphering the cheapest path in JC. What is below is my original post on the Morell-Thule boards. If anyone has vendor sell-back prices for the items, I'll be happy to add another column to my spreadsheets and work them in - but from what I've seen, variances to this path will come from selling to players, not to vendors.

email me at [email protected] if you want the spreadsheet... warning though, I used a lot of cross-book formulae and in some cases took the results of a set of formulae then hard-coded them into another tab so that I could remove lines, etc. (the art behind the science).

edits: just found the "How to raise skill" drop-down. Turn out that his path is only different from mine in 2 places.

120-122 I have Electrum + Black pearl, then switch to Gold + Malachite
    120-146 Gamkuk has Gold + Malachite
    Gold + Malachite is cheaper per combine, but you will succeed more with the Electrum + Black Pearl - depends on roll of the dice as to which way is cheaper.

192-195 I have Gold + Black pearl (cost 36p)
    192-196 Gumkak has Gold + Fire Opal (costs 63p)
    Not sure why he has Fire Opal in this one... unlike switching to Gold, this is definitely less expensive

--------------

The spreadsheet mentioned above does not present an intuitive way to see a decent “trivial map by cost” path. So, I took the data and created a series of spreadsheet tabs and plotted out the trivial skill, combination of items, cost of components, and resulting item.

A question of overall cost arises when you try to figure out how much stuff between Silver + Amber (trivial 38, cost 3150cp) and Silver + Topaz (trivial 44, cost 5775 cp) you would sell back versus jumping straight up to Electrum + Malachite (trivial 74, cost 2677)

The path below is basically:
    Cheap metal and cheap gem until the next gem costs more than the next metal. IMHO, this gives a nice balance to actually creating items and selling them vs the overall cost per attempt. If you do not care at all about cash and only want to raise skill, then simply go the "low cost per attempt" route which is much easier to figure out.

16: Silver + Lapis Lazuli Costs: 619cp and Yields: 2 svd necklace
    18: Silver + Turquoise Costs: 640cp and Yields: 2 svc bracer
    21: Silver + Malachite Costs: 577cp and Yields: 2 svp ring
    22: Silver + Hematite Costs: 682cp and Yields: 2 svf ring
    24: Silver + Cat's Eye Agate Costs: 735cp and Yields: 3 cha necklace
    26: Silver + Bloodstone Costs: 1050cp and Yields: 2 sta earring
    28: Silver + Onyx Costs: 1207cp and Yields: 2 dex bracer
    30: Silver + Jasper Costs: 1312cp and Yields: 2 wis ring
    32: Silver + Carnelian Costs: 1417cp and Yields: 2 agi ring
    34: Silver + Star Rose Quartz Costs: 1575cp and Yields: 2 int ring
    36: Silver + Amber Costs: 3150cp and Yields: 2 str ring
    38: Silver + Wolf's Eye Agate Costs: 3885cp and Yields: 4 svm necklace
    40: Silver + Jade Costs: 4200cp and Yields: 1 ac 5 hp 5 mana ring
    42: Silver + Pearl Costs: 5250cp and Yields: 2 ac 4 svp ring
    44: Silver + Topaz Costs: 5775cp and Yields: 3 ac 5 svd necklace
    74: Electrum + Malachite Costs: 2677cp and Yields: 3 svp bracer
    76: Electrum + Lapis Lazuli Costs: 2719cp and Yields: 3 svd earring
    79: Electrum + Turquoise Costs: 2740cp and Yields: 3 svc ring
    82: Electrum + Hematite Costs: 2782cp and Yields: 4 svf necklace
    84: Electrum + Cat's Eye Agate Costs: 2835cp and Yields: 4 cha bracer
    87: Electrum + Bloodstone Costs: 3150cp and Yields: 3 sta necklace
    90: Electrum + Onyx Costs: 3307cp and Yields: 3 dex necklace
    92: Electrum + Jasper Costs: 3412cp and Yields: 2 wis earring
    95: Electrum + Carnelian Costs: 3517cp and Yields: 3 agi ring
    98: Electrum + Star Rose Quartz Costs: 3675cp and Yields: 2 int necklace
    100: Electrum + Amber Costs: 5250cp and Yields: 1 str earring
    103: Electrum + Wolf's Eye Agate Costs: 5985cp and Yields: 4 svm bracer
    106: Electrum + Jade Costs: 6300cp and Yields: 2 ac 10 hp 10 mana bracer
    108: Electrum + Pearl Costs: 7350cp and Yields: 3 ac 6 svp necklace
    111: Electrum + Topaz Costs: 7875cp and Yields: 2 ac 5 svd earring
    114: Electrum + Peridot Costs: 13125cp and Yields: 3 ac 4 svc bracer
    116: Electrum + Emerald Costs: 16275cp and Yields: 3 ac 4 svf bracer
    119: Electrum + Opal Costs: 20475cp and Yields: 4 sta 3 agi necklace
    122: Electrum + Black Pearl Costs: 28625cp and Yields: 4 dex 4 agi necklace
    146: Gold + Malachite Costs: 10552cp and Yields: 5 svp bracer
    148: Gold + Lapis Lazuli Costs: 10594cp and Yields: 5 svd earring
    151: Gold + Turquoise Costs: 10615cp and Yields: 5 svc ring
    154: Gold + Hematite Costs: 10657cp and Yields: 7 svf necklace
    156: Gold + Cat's Eye Agate Costs: 10710cp and Yields: 7 cha bracer
    159: Gold + Bloodstone Costs: 11025cp and Yields: 5 sta necklace
    162: Gold + Onyx Costs: 11182cp and Yields: 5 dex necklace
    164: Gold + Jasper Costs: 11287cp and Yields: 3 wis earring
    167: Gold + Carnelian Costs: 11392cp and Yields: 5 agi ring
    170: Gold + Star Rose Quartz Costs: 11550cp and Yields: 4 int necklace
    172: Gold + Amber Costs: 13125cp and Yields: 3 str earring
    175: Gold + Wolf's Eye Agate Costs: 13860cp and Yields: 7 svm bracer
    178: Gold + Jade Costs: 14175cp and Yields: 2 ac 15 hp 15 mana bracer
    180: Gold + Pearl Costs: 15225cp and Yields: 5 ac 9 svp necklace
    183: Gold + Topaz Costs: 15750cp and Yields: 3 ac 8 svd earring
    186: Gold + Peridot Costs: 21000cp and Yields: 4 ac 6 svc bracer
    188: Gold + Emerald Costs: 24150cp and Yields: 4 ac 6 svf bracer
    191: Gold + Opal Costs: 28350cp and Yields: 9 sta 6 agi necklace
    195: Gold + Black Pearl Costs: 36500cp and Yields: 7 dex 7 agi necklace
    Ishinru / Xenophrys

I'm pretty sure the reason Gumkak leaves out Black Pearl in his combine sequence is that it's not vendor sold. These days there might be enough black pearls on sale in the bazaar to let you do gold/black pearl instead of skipping up to gold/fire opal, but given that this is right in the middle of the "hell range", I wouldn't even count on that.
    Velurian
    70 Enchanter, E'ci

Comment

Re: Path to 195

Originally posted by ishinru
      The path below is basically:
      Cheap metal and cheap gem until the next gem costs more than the next metal. IMHO, this gives a nice balance to actually creating items and selling them vs the overall cost per attempt. If you do not care at all about cash and only want to raise skill, then simply go the "low cost per attempt" route which is much easier to figure out.
      Thank you! I'll be using this method when I begin Jewelcraft tomorrow!
      http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=565382Visit Magelo Profile

Comment

I started doing some of my tradeskill grinds this weekend, got to 104 JC and it just seemed like the skill ups got painfully rare when I hit 100... is this the case or did I just have a bad run? I stopped just to save my shoulder (though I promptly went and took brewing from 70 to 130 <shrug>) Anyway, is JC just evil as soon as you become a master?
        Elder Elder Yiktiki Tumbo
        Feral Lord
        Brell Serilis Server

Comment

You don't mention what your INT or WIS are (or for that matter, what "painfully rare" means to you ), but if you're seeing skillups get much rarer at that level, it's likely a sign that you need to raise your INT or WIS.

With an INT of 170-ish, I got well into gold fairly effortlessly (at least, in terms of number of attempts per skillup -- being level 24 at the time, having plat to dump into skillups was the main bottleneck). Probably averaged two to four skillups per stack up to a skill of 150 or so. (Unfortunately, didn't keep exact numbers on my JC run, so this is vague recollection...)

Upping that to an INT near 200, I got to around 190 before seeing a serious slowdown -- consistently at least one skillup per stack even into the mid-180's. Then I ran into a major roadblock at, I think, 192 -- twelve stacks and change before I got fed up and invested in more +INT gear. With a new INT in the low-230's, went from there to 250 without any further points that took over 100 combines.

I have a theory (and I should hasten to note that I'm pulling this mostly from thin air and have no substantial evidence beyond personal experience to back this up) that there is a tradeskill "soft cap" that is a function of your skillup stat, above which skillups are MUCH rarer. There have been times where I was stuck at a certain level in a tradeskill for a while, bought one additional piece of +INT gear, and fairly quickly got a few more points, and then got bogged down again. Like I said, nothing but personal experience, take whatever you want from it, and if it doesn't fit your thoughts or experiences, feel free to cast it aside with all the force it deserves.
          Velurian
          70 Enchanter, E'ci

Comment

Originally posted by Velurian
            I'm pretty sure the reason Gumkak leaves out Black Pearl in his combine sequence is that it's not vendor sold.
            Aye, that's correct, I only included NPC vendor sold gems in the listing for that reason. It's rather painfull to have to shop around for a few hours or hunt for the gems that aren't NPC vendor sold =)
            Gumkak Dorfbashah
            Happilly wed with Thorgulla Dorfbashah
            60 Troll Shadowknight
            <Arch of Chaos>
            Terris-Thule

Master Jeweler ( 250 )
            Amateur Potter ( 188 )
            Amateur Smith ( 175 )
            Amateur Tailor ( 146 )
            Amateur Baker ( 142 )
            Grandmaster Taunter (needs a mint)

Comment

Aye, that's correct, I only included NPC vendor sold gems in the listing for that reason. It's rather painfull to have to shop around for a few hours or hunt for the gems that aren't NPC vendor sold =)
              Aye. I thought Black Pearls + Gold was a good idea when I hit 191.

But 191 turned into a "hell level" for me. After 160 combinations with no skill-ups, my gnome switched over to Fire Opal + Gold because it was just taking too long to find enough black pearls.

If you do wish to use black pearls, I found that they drop fairly often in the new LoY zones, so shop at the lighthouse.

Since my halfling is a brewer, my gnome is going to try champagne magnums to reach 196.

champagne magnum = enchanted gold + opal + bottle

All the components are available on NPC vendors (if you can enchant gold bars) and cost about 28 pp.

Scapa Orkney, 64th level Wood Elf Druid of Tunare
              Master Potter, Journeyman Artisan
              Cnoc Sixovus, 56th level Halfling Cleric of Bristlebane
              Master Baker, Journeyman Brewer
              Jura Sixovus, 40th level Gnome Enchanter
              Master Jeweler, Expert Tinker (284)
              Bertoxxulous - Tholuxe Paells
              BrindleWood

Comment

191 and Champagne bottles

I hear ya on 191. It took me approx. 400 combines to pop that level, and then it leveled out... for a bit. And the idea about champagne magnum bottles is great. Never thought of that. If you don't mind, I think I will post that one in my guide too.

- Laziris Willowkin
                Child of Tunare
                Proud member of Ethereal Realms
                252 Jeweler (w/ trophy)

Comment

I hear ya on 191. It took me approx. 400 combines to pop that level, and then it leveled out... for a bit.

Comment

I hear ya on 191. It took me approx. 400 combines to pop that level, and then it leveled out... for a bit.

Comment

Working...
                    X