Virus warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virus warning

I have been getting virus infected emails from various email addresses during the last week, since my ISP ganked them all so I guess this isn't a huge problem for me.

However I noticed that one (or more) of the faked sender email addresses (return paths) are from posters of this board. For example Cigar's email address.

So my conclusion is that someone who is regulary posting on this board and has both my and cigar's email address on his/hers contact list has been infected by a wurm.

So everyone on who the above criteria fits please download a checker (for example from mcafee ) and check your system for your own good.

Well, more then likely the virus is searching YOUR machine to find out who to spoof.

I think you MIGHT(Maybe) find that the only addresses you are seeing it from are those in your address book.

Unless this is a different series of worm then the Klez was. But Klez used your local address data when giving the spoofed info.

-Lilosh
    Venerable Noishpa Taltos , Planar Druid, Educated Halfling, and GM Baker.
    President and Founder of the Loudmouthed Sarcastic Halflings Society
    Also, Smalltim

So take the fact of having a dirty mind as proof that you are world-savvy; it's not a flaw, it's an asset, if nothing else, it's a defense - Sanna

Comment

AVG is very good, and free.

http://housecall.antivirus.com is a good on-the-fly on-line scan (very well trusted in the PC tech community)

And a good firewall is ZoneAlarm (I think the company's name is ZOneLabs) - that is also free.

(Us techs don't get paid much, so we like free).
      Draggar De'Vir
      92 Assassin - Povar

Xzorsh
      57 Druid of Tunare - Povar
      47 Druid of Tunare - Lockjaw

Hark! Who is that, prowling along the fields! It is Draggar De'VIr, hands clutching two hardened pitas! He cries gutterally: "In the name of Thor the Mighty, I hereby void your warranty, and send you back to God!!!"

"No one can predict the future, so we all should eat our desserts first!" - Gaye from 'The Maelstorm's Eye" (Cloakmaster's Cycle book 3)

Comment

Go with AVG over mcafee...mc still has a fair share of its own problems.
        Retired -
        Avelyna, 69 ranger
        Tiadari, 62 druid
        Syrarri, 52 beastlord
        Rodcet Nife

Comment

Lilosh

A: I have no addresses in my book
          B: I'm using a web based email system
          C: I did not know those people's email address till I got those emails. Never had email contact with them.
          D: My machine is virus free.

Comment

Originally posted by sumamael
            A: I have no addresses in my book
            Neither did I when I was attacked by Klez.E last year...

B: I'm using a web based email system
            Cookies & cache - Some emails support Java, JScript etc... (which is why I have Outlook set up to text only..)

C: I did not know those people's email address till I got those emails. Never had email contact with them.
            If they're on display on a webpage, some can read it.

D: My machine is virus free.
            I thought so, too, when Klez.E hit me last year.

I'm not shooting you down, Sumamael, but these things are very tricky and are made to be not noticed. Too much protection is never enough.

Its really sad the amount of crap we have to run on our computers (anti-spyware, firewalls, anti-virus scanner, anti-virus cleaners, etc..) to keep all the bad crap out of them...

If you'd want, go to http://www.windrivers.com/chat/index.html -- I know a lot of the people in there. Tell them I (Draggar) sent you. They won't BS around (I can PM you a few names if you'd like). If do have something, and are having a hard time getting rid of it, they will find a quick and easy way to get rid of it (just have a pen and paper ready! ).

I should probably do a full diagnostic on my PCs here at home...

Steps to avio it could include putting a NOSPAM / REMOVE THIS in your public email address if you want it displayed.
            Turn off all graphics in your email manager (text only).
            Keep your protection as current as possible, scan often (couple times a week?) and nip problems quickly in the butt the second you notice them.

Good luck!
            Draggar De'Vir
            92 Assassin - Povar

Xzorsh
            57 Druid of Tunare - Povar
            47 Druid of Tunare - Lockjaw

Hark! Who is that, prowling along the fields! It is Draggar De'VIr, hands clutching two hardened pitas! He cries gutterally: "In the name of Thor the Mighty, I hereby void your warranty, and send you back to God!!!"

"No one can predict the future, so we all should eat our desserts first!" - Gaye from 'The Maelstorm's Eye" (Cloakmaster's Cycle book 3)

Comment

I guess people still don't get it, I do not use outlook express, I do not even have my email entered into the default email software. No configuration file contains any SMTP or POP3 data what a mailing software could use.

I'm using a freemail system what accessed by a secured HTML webpage. All of emails are stored on the server and not on my computer. That server is screening the incoming emails for viruses and ganking them if they are infected.

Comment

I just use something like Agent to read email, while configuring it to only open non virus files like *.jpg and and such.

You just make your system so it can't get a virus and you won't.

Ah I see what you are saying, your emails are screened and ganked though they might not even affect you.

Aandaie 56 Druid's Magelo
                Aaelandri 41 Cleric's Magelo
                Prittior 39 Shadowknight's Magelo

Comment

It does not effect me in any way, just trying to warn the person whos computer is sending them to me.

Comment

I understand your frustration - I use Netscape email myself, and wouldn't touch outlook anymore with a ten foot pole, but it'a gotta be my fault... sigh. :/

Comment

It could simply be someone on the boards who's just grabbing random emails for shoots and giggles - EQ doesn't exactly have a high age catagory clientel.

It's also possible someone took offense to something you or I posted or responded, etc and descided to do something about it in thier own special way.

I'm sorry if anyone has had some idiot faking my email to attack them - sumamael, what was the exact email addy they tried to use? I get spam that's got variations of my addy all of the time?
                      Cigarskunk!
                      No more EQ for me till they fix the crash bug.

Comment

Sending you a PM with the email addresses Cigar.

Comment

Since the incoming spam magically stopped yesterday I will take that my message has reached it's target. Will get this unsticked.

Comment

I found this on my system yesterday W32/Klez-H virus. And I removed it from my system yesterday as well.

I don't have you or cigar in my address book but.

Edited to say that I have added Virus Protection, and will be upgrading that at work on Monday.

Comment

Hehe got a new one today, this time the faked email address is Cantatus'.

I guess there are still people reading this board who have the wurm running.

Comment

Working...
                              X