New AA Idea (?) - Cross Class Research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New AA Idea (?) - Cross Class Research

Just wondering if there has ever been any talk about maybe creating an AA arch for Pure Casters that would allow them to perform "Cross Class Research"? I recommend the Pure Casters since they (we)'ve been Researchers by trade since Researching existed.

The concept I have is this:

"Through extensive time spent studying the Arcane Arts, you are now able to conduct research in other areas of interest."

(1) Melee Research: 6 ranks of 10 AA each (yep, not cheap). The first rank enables the player to obtain a maximum cap of 50 skill in Melee Research. Each additional rank increases the cap by 50.

(2) Hybrid Research: 6 ranks of 10 AA each (yep, not cheap). The first rank enables the player to obtain a maximum cap of 50 skill in Hybrid Research. Each additional rank increases the cap by 50.

Prerequisites:
    • Research 300
    • Arcane Tongues 3/3
    • Ethereal Quill (full 7/7 Research trophy and the +15% Mod counts, but no new trophy would be available) - use a character flag maybe?

So, in essence to obtain total research capability for all classes, a Pure Caster would need to spend 60 AAs in each category for a total of 120 AAs. Ultimately, Pure Casters have been able to previously perform research for some of the classes, this is just an obvious extension of that in my opinion.

Thoughts?
    Mikaal Drazzminius
    Tier'Dal Necromancer
    Rodcet Nife by Birth / Quellious by Merger / Povar by Re-Merger

Master Artisan
    Necrotalk Admin
    EQ Traders Super Moderator
    EQ Magelo Advisor/Moderator

As an int caster, I don't recall having had any difficulty making hybrid spells. The only thing (so far) that I haven't been able to make are the melee tomes.

Allowing int casters to make melee tomes (albeit after spending 60 AAs) would be a pretty nasty kick at those melee people who've worked their skill up so they could have a somewhat exclusive market. Those melee researchers that have gotten high skills did so by forking out the plat to make solutions and then by just making tomes. Int casters are able to (easily and inexpensively) use the binding solutions to max out their skill.
    -- Mewkus: 2100 dings on the server formerly known as Solusek Ro
    try: Inventory/Flags/Spells tracker program - (sample output)

Comment

Understood about Melee having gotten their skills up that far. My point was to give Int researchers the ability to skill-up, 50 points at a time. To get to 300, the Int researchers would have to make just as many solutions and just as many tomes as the pure Melee researchers to achieve their 300 skill.
      Mikaal Drazzminius
      Tier'Dal Necromancer
      Rodcet Nife by Birth / Quellious by Merger / Povar by Re-Merger

Master Artisan
      Necrotalk Admin
      EQ Traders Super Moderator
      EQ Magelo Advisor/Moderator

Comment

Well, Research is Research. There really isn't a Tome Reseach skill and a Spell Research skill. The inability of an Int caster to make tomes isn't based on the skill but on the combine containers. Essentially, the reason an Int caster can't make tomes is that there are no tome recipes associated with Research Kits.

My enchanter has the SKILL to make tomes, he just isn't allowed to use the containers that are needed to make tomes.
        My rogue has the SKILL to make spells, he just isn't allowed to use any of the containers that are needed to make spells.

Now there would be ways to grant int casters the ability to research tomes. It could even be done in a manner similar to what you suggest (they would be unlocked by Tome level and not skill level) but that would open up a whole series of gotchas.

Only int casters get Arcane Tongues. The tome recipes have lower trivials for their level because of that. The skill up path above 262 is extremely restricted and very expensive for melee and hybrid researchers when compared to int caster researchers. In order to prevent total domination of tome research by int casters, Arcane Tongues would have to be given to everyone, everyone would have to be given access to the spellcaster essence recipes (or an equivalent) and non-spell research recipes like the sunshard combines. This would also require an adjustment to the tome trivials.
        Last edited by gggrant; 07-09-2009, 11:51 AM.
        Huntmaster Bariag DarkWoods

Master Artisan

Comment

Working...
        X