Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You could just use the lowest level recommended combine after 54 and use that one from zero for the simplest approach. There used to be some old guides around on the main site from long before abysmal.

Comment

• Draz, you're slacking off in the Fletching list.

Going from 202 to 227 in a single step is a waste of valuable farmed Serrated arrowheads. There are way too many failures at the low level.
      If you like serrated arrowheads people should go from 202 to 212 making Class 5 bone Serrated Tip Arrows.

And you might mention the serrated arrowheads require farming

Comment

• Having used this guide to help me work another toon up to 2100, there are a couple things that I might suggest adding.

Pottery (Ornaments).
        Unfired Ceramic Fist Ornament Mold (302 trivial) requires farming cosgrove powder.
        Unfired Obsidian Scale Skean Ornament (308 trivial) requires farming dream dust.

Baking (Dream Meat and Brell's Bounty)
        Buttered Brell's Bounty Steaks (314 trivial) requires picking up ground spawns.
        Grilled Dream Meat Steaks (312 trivial) requires farming dream meat.
        Last edited by Aldier; 04-10-2011, 11:57 AM.
        Shawlweaver Sphynx on Cazic Thule
        Master Artisan Aldier on Cazic Thule

Comment

• If you are a master fisherman (or even a high skilled one), Baked Etherfish (triv 408), I recently discovered, is by far the best recipe to max baking with. It is fished in the new Feerot, the success rate is quite high on fishing it, the recipe only has one subcombine (vegetables) and all ingredients are found in one spot (I chose Abysmal). You can get from 250 to max trophy in a short time with this. MTPs are so obsolete...

Oh, and if you use Dream Meat, I would go with Dreamburger Paradise (triv 415). The only subcombine is the Prepared Dream Meat (water and meat in a bowl), and the resulting sandwhich has some very good stats.

I realize the trivials are quite high on those selections, but I think it will pay off in the long run.
          Jinaabi Vah Shir - Bristlebane
          Smithing 300 7/7
          Tailoring 300 7/7
          Fletching 300 7/7
          Pottery 300 6/7
          Baking 300 7/7
          Brewing 300 6/7
          Jewelry 300 6/7
          Dagnora Drakkin
          Poison Making 300 7/7

Comment

• You're right, Morromid - I've been slacking.

Added in the Class 5's to fill the gap between 202 and 227. Thanks!
            Mikaal Drazzminius
            Tier'Dal Necromancer
            Rodcet Nife by Birth / Quellious by Merger / Povar by Re-Merger

Master Artisan
            Necrotalk Admin
            EQ Traders Super Moderator
            EQ Magelo Advisor/Moderator

Comment

• Very well done guide! Such a great help to the community! =)

Comment

• Thanks for the tip above on the Baked Etherfish!! Definitely the way to go. Finally maxed my trophy today. /happy dance

Comment

• How to Succeed at Tradeskills Without Really Trying:

I have a few notes regarding my experience skilling up to 300 x 7. My goal was to skill up as fast as possible for the shawl 2.0 quest now that I am in a guild that has conquered Convorteum and has committed to obtaining tradeskillers their First Creation heads. I skilled up without regard to cost, while at the same time avoiding any farming. Thus, I used skillup pathways that could be done using items I would either be able to buy from vendors or in the bazaar, or that I would already have on hand from doing whatever it was I would normally have done. The lone exception was fishing - I was willing to fish, since fishing is much faster than foraging or farming. I took 6 skills from around 180ish (where I was for shawl 1.0) to 300. I was already 300 for tailoring from cultural tailoring recipes long since taken out of the game.

My "prep" period consisted of the 8 months during this expansion during which I leveled from 85 to 90, caught up on around 2500AA to max my AAXP, and did every task/mission in HoT as well as Dreamslayer achievement. Most of these missions and named kills were done with a 3-box setup of druid, cleric, and warrior along with 3 mercs. This meant that for the most part, whatever tradeskill items and vendor fodder dropped while I was doing all this, I was able to keep for myself. I funded the cost of the purchasable items using proceeds from selling tier 1 tradeable loot. I had a dedicated trader account to sell things, and to stay on the lookout for good buys for my intended skillup paths. I did also take the time to powerlevel an enchanter to level 39 for imbues/enchants/mana spells. I recognize that the route I took is not for everyone, but for the high-ish playtime raiding crowd that is mainly interested in skilling up for shawl 2.0, I think my number of accounts and abilities are not atypical.

Cash - I had about 250k left on hand after gearing up my 3 toons in tier 4 HoT group armor as of November or so. I didn't "play the bazaar", farm tradeskill drops for plat, or generally do anything that I wouldn't have done up until now anyway in the course of playing to get maximum AA and flags. I had 650k on hand by the start of July when I started my skillups, solely from selling tier 1 tradeable loot. I also finished with around 1000 diamonds and 1000 blue diamonds on hand, which I have not sold yet but are probably going to net me around 400k. I spent around 450k to max the tradeskills. Thus the gems alone would nearly cover the cost of what I spent to do things the fast and easy way.

Real life time spent - From the time I started my skillup runs, I maxed 6 tradeskills in 2 weeks. During this time, I did basically nothing else in game other than participate in raids in the evenings, read this website for advice, look at the bazaar for tradeskill prices to determine cheapest paths, and then run around buying stuff and clicking combines. I could probably have done things even faster, but I left town for 5 days in the middle of the two weeks.

Technique for combines - I hate having skillup runs where there are no skillups, so I generally was unwilling to attempt anything in less than blocks of 200 combines at a time. For combines where only one item was returned, I would mouseclick the combine button, then use a keyboard shortcut for /autoinv. For combines where more than one item was returned, I found that there is significant lag between multiple /autoinv commands in a hotkey, so I found it to be faster to separately mouseclick the combine button and then rapidly mouseclick the autoinventory button 2 or 3 times.

Number of combines - I went in with the expectation that from a base skill of 200, it would take me in the neighborhood of 2000 combines to get to 300. I generally expected to take around 600 to get from 200 to 250, 600 to get from 250 to 275, and another 800 to get from 275 to 300. Most of the time (fletching and jewelcrafting were the exceptions), this turned out to be an overestimate, but it was a good ballpark.

Cost per skill - For most skills, the majority of the expense for combines came between skill levels 275 and 300. For the 275 to 300 set, I was willing to pay up to 100pp per combine x 80 combines = 80k for each skill in terms of ingredients from vendors or in the bazaar. For some skills, I had to pay more, and some others I paid much less (or nearly nothing).

Trophies - I did the freshman trophy quests for each skill before levelling any of them above 200, except for smithing for which I had to do the journeyman test. Believe me, the earlier quests, at lower skill levels, are much easier than the later ones.

Baking - Baked Etherfish was definitely the way to go. I basically spent nothing to get this skill to 300, just lots of fishing.

Brewing - I started with Clear Absinth (not absinthE - the "official" guide has still not been corrected, as the one without the E is the cheaper combine), then Brut Champagne. All vendor bought, but you do need to have an enchanter to enchant gold for the champagne magnums. I would recommend taking the time to PL one, as it's pretty darn easy these days even for someone like me who almost never does this. I did also do two hundred Rose Absinths as well, but tired quickly of only being able to obtain maybe 40 roses per hour of collecting ground spawns in OGH/OGV. The ground spawn collections there are mindnumbing AND tedious, as the Corn Roses do not spawn in the same locations each time, requiring that you spend hours running around looking for very small flowers over vast tracts of space. Total cost to get to 300 was about 35k.

Fletching - Getting to 202 was easy and cheap. Beyond that, it sounds trite, but I think I agree with another poster that switching deity or race to karana or woodelf, skilling up, and then switching back might actually be the only fast and easy way. I went from 150 to 300 fletching in about 12 hours as a Halfling Karana druid. God help you if you if you are of a race/deity that have to spend an average of 300pp per combine (from heartwood and shadewood bow staffs) just to get to 282, let alone forage/collect/farm treant branches to get to 300. Friends of mine of other race/deity combos have taken weeks to acquire the components for even a single skillup run. Total cost to get to 300 was about 150k.

Jewelcraft - Raw Nihilites are your friends. I burned up a lot of each of the other types of uncut gems I had collected already and also spent significant plat on gems from the bazaar, but I think in retrospect all but the nihilites were a waste of time. You get huge savings with nihilites relative to other gems, because for every raw gem you convert to actual gems, you get 1-2 attempts at skillup at the start, and 3 attempts guaranteed after you have converted a few hundred. From 284, I finished with dwerium practice veils as the cost for these is not as high as it looks from the guide. I was intimidated by the 104pp cost of the platinum bar in each subcombine, but was pleasantly surprised to learn that they sell back for 99pp each. Raw faycites were cheap and plentiful in the bazaar. Total cost was 80k to get to 300. I could probably have done this more cheaply by focusing on the nihilites and not attempting to purchase other gems.

Pottery - I used unfired sealed poison vials, then used up the silks acquired during xp and flagging over the last 8 months. These got me to 274 basically for free. From there I went to 282 with Unfired Idol (Emerald) using my cleric to imbue the emeralds, and then to 300 with Unfired Star Ruby Encrusted Steins. Total cost was around 75k.

Smithing - My last skill, I took this from 213 to 300 in one night. Used tantalum/vanadium ores that I'd already had on hand to make barbs and get to 268. Then I used rhenium chain glove templates to 274 (about 115pp per combine with insane bazaar prices for rhenium), and then finished the gloves with these templates to get to 280 (85pp per combine due to cheap price of bonded loam in bazaar). Then I did 2 skill points with osmium barbs because I had a couple hundred of them - which was probably a gross waste of 80 osmiums. Then I went the rest of the way with cobalt chain glove templates. I had expected to spend 105pp per combine (40pp per cobalt ore in bazaar plus 65pp for vendor stuff in combine), but you can sell these back for around 60pp each so you're only out the cost of the ore. All in all, I spent about 100k for this, and could probably have spent less if I had switched over to cobalt templates from rhenium earlier.

Tailoring - I can't speak to the current situation here, because I skilled up to 300 with the old (no longer in game) cultural recipes, which consisted at the time of me farming 2000(!) racnor hides in Veeshan's Peak. That experience was a good part of why I wasn't willing to farm anything this time around

Comment

• With a little bit of farming

I thought I would add some information, as my experience and strategy is similar to Shruella, although I'm a bit cheaper, and am willing to farm a bit.

I've been tradeskilling for years, and have found this website to be an invaluable resource. I am a level 90 warrior with decent group gear and a little over 3k aa. I have not maxxed all 300 skills yet, though I have gotten most over 290. I have all the mastery and salvage aa, and before working a skill I go pound out the trophy. My experience has been that you don't usually level up the trophy doing combines as fast as you level the skill, so if you do them early you'll have an expert trophy at 300 instead of a master, so I actually recommend waiting until at least post 250 to do the quest. It'll be a little harder and a little more expensive, but probably let you level up the trophy faster if you care about that. And you can hedge your bet a little by farming extra mats for the expert quest, as most of them use alot of the same combines for the master quest, if you are only at 50% or whatever on the expert trophy when you hit 300, can just do the other quest. Baking trophy for instance, got the apprentice trophy at 202 skill, and it still hasn't leveled up, 2000 combines later at 300 skill.

For my strategy to work, you'll either need more time or some boxes. I use one box account to speed up gathering mats for baking, brewing, and fletching. I also strongly recommend a /buyer with absolutely everything you will need from drops, foraging, or groundspawns on buy for 10-50 pp (depending on your plat situation).

Invest in some larger bags, baking will make you cry with all the subcombines, and like the guy above said, it's less frustrating if you do runs of 100 or 200 combines. Unlikely you won't get a skillup that way.

I would very much like to just buy the wood elf thing and raise my fletching to 300 that way, but I think its a wash as from the description you lose your progress on cultural tradeskill book quests and any books/patterns themselves when you switch, if anyone who has done it can confirm that isn't the case then I'll be able to quit farming right now.

I started with 300 skill in smithing, which I got a few months after the big revamp which added stuff like Cobalt Ore, I was level 70 at the time so I just hung out in plane of fire grinding aa's and snatching the ores in baz on the cheap. Between farming a bunch of ore and buying in the bazaar, I probably spent around 30k to get from 0-300 smithing. Previously on my paladin I'd raised smithing to 250 at the cost of about 400k and a bajillion hours spent farming velium. So today is definately easier than it used to be.

Baking: Started with 195 or so, believe I used fish rolls and patty melts to raise it to here. Couple of useful tips, put up a buyer for vegetables at 1pp each, saves you a tedious subcombine and will net you a couple hundred veggies a week. Also, basilisk eggs are easily farmed off mobs with about a 3 or 4 minute respawn time in lavastorm, can find the loc on alla if you search for basilisk egg. If you've got the chops, pheonix eggs can be easily farmed in plane of air on phoenix hub. I get about 10 per clear, clear takes me all of 4 minutes. Can also nab some stuff for the air fletching combine. You'll want about 5 stacks of a high return egg. Then I did halas 10lb meat pies to about 118, that's how far 10 mammoth meats took me. After that, 1 hour of fishing with 140 fishing skill in abysmal sea will net you enough fish/crab for twice as many combines as it should take to get over 250. It's cool because you can catch like a 14 lb tuna, and that nets you 14 combines. Rest is vendor bought+egg derivations. Some subcombines, but not too brutal, I did runs of 100. After that I used a combination of Dream meat I got doing exp/gearing, Brell's bounty mushrooms groundspawn, and farming regrua claws. One clear of the plane of water will net you at least 40 combines, plus stuff for other skills (more on that next post).

Brewing: I'm at 263 skill, haven't worked on it much this particular push, this is leftover from years ago. I do mino hero brew up to it's trivial, then kaladim constitutional. On the box account I have a mule sit there and gather the shrooms. It's like 7-9 minutes or so for repop, I just tab over throughout my play session and gather them.

Jewelcraft: I used the vendor bought options to skillup to 270, then I use the diamonds and blue diamonds from playing. As the tank with a ton of bag space I can ninja and main loot for the group without too many complaints. I just deduct the vendor amount for the gems from my share of the split. Add that to what I get from farming and I get about 100 combines worth per week. You end up with more pp than you started with at the end of this skill, though not if you figure in the opportunity cost (don't do the calculation, will make you cry).

Tailoring: Make wristband or glove templates, set up a buyer. There's just no quick way to do this, farm the bazaar. My buyer gets me more combines per hour than what I can farm, and I can clear most of the elemental planes in a single pull. I'm experimenting with different locations, maybe drachnids will be better, but I'm at 299 skill with a buyer up offering 5 and 10pp per silk/pelt for just a few weeks, and picking em up in the baz for 20-50pp each. I search for exquisite, immaculate, flawless, excellent, superb, fine (until it trivials).

Pottery: I'm at 250 skill, planning to use the vendor-bought option. I have an enchanter box so it's no problem. From past sessions this is one of the worst in terms of combines per skillup, and there's no real cash to be had. I think if you have an alchemist or poisonmaker there might be a crossover path with vials, but I don't think it takes you much past 250.

Fletching: 250 skill to start, making vendor mat bows and arrows. After 250 I continued with vendor stock, and will till shadewood bows trivial, I'm at 278 now. Saving the farmed mats for later combines. This is where you need a forager for grease from the plane of innovation. With high forage skill and the aa's for it will usually net a stack of 20 tabbing over during a decent play session on your main. Also collecting sunshard ore. Plane of water seems the best place to farm elemental bows. Fire you need gut string which means you have about 4 drops per server per week. Earth the immaculate steel is the choke point, though I'm experimenting with the rings to see if one of them drops alot of it. UPDATE: The first ring near the zone in dropped 41 bricks and took about ten minutes to clear, the bow staff is the hardest piece to get. The vine ring is $$ for the vegerog vine. Air the bow staff seems to be pretty rare, I get about 20 to 1 drop rate on the other mats. Water you get enough for 10-20 combines per clear. So I been just going back and forth between water and earth. When bored I've been working on the xegony key, will let you know if clearing that event is worth much.

Updated with new information on earth
                    Last edited by Curzon; 08-05-2011, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• And now the farming details

I usually spend about 4 hours per week farming for brewing, baking, jewelcraft, fletching, and alchemy. Tailoring I get majority from the bazaar (route I would go for smithing as well), Smithing I've already maxxed, pottery is vendor mats. The goal here is to gather mats for multiple skills at a time, it seems like it's taking forever, but then you start using up the mats and realize you're close to finishing most skills, not just the one primary you were after.

Brewing is the shrooms in kaladim. The trick here is, wake up an extra 15 minutes early, log in your mule, gather shrooms. Eat breakfast, gather shrooms, brush your teeth, gather shrooms, shave, gather shrooms, shower, gather shrooms, get dressed, gather shrooms, check the traffic, gather shrooms. Depending on your morning routine, you can squeeze in about 70 combines worth of gathering and it didn't really cost you that much time.

Baking is twofold. For the last thousand or so combines I use the brell's bounty from brell's rest. The respawn kinda longish, so park a mule there to log in before your kaladim mule for brewing, and gather up 20 or so shrooms every morning, then repeat when you get home before you log on your main, and then at night before you log for the night. 80 combines a day, didn't cost you much time. I don't recommend trying to gather these while playing your main, as it does take a solid 45 seconds with bard speed to make the round, and your group is doing it's level best to kill you on other screen. From approximately 288 skill it took me 800 brells bounty to 298, and then 200 dream meat i'd gathered getting t4 flagged and geared took me to the finish line. In terms of number of combines (subcombines+skill combines) baking is by far the worst of the skills. On the plus side, dumping all the finished product on a mule means always having awesome food for your toon. Not that stats + resists are worth much to your main, but now that you're done tradeskilling you can make an alt!

Fletching: You will probably need a forager, either for grease in plane of innovation or for whatever foraged component of whatever combine you are doing. Keep in mind, all the fletching advice is just if you don't change race. I strongly recommend that path if you can stomach the possibility of having to redo the cultural quests. There is no good fletching path to 300 otherwise. It will likely take months, and you will end up paying through the nose for help with tinkering subcombines, or paying through the nose to make your own tinkerer. I already had one so it wasn't a big deal. I suspect that if 1000 combines doesn't get me to 300, i'll end up changing race anyways. The one plus side to the elemental bow route, is that is a %$#^-ton of tribute you'll have when done.

Any of these guys can be logged in for alt+tab use while you await respawns or med from these next ones:

Plane of water, clear all of the trilouns and regrua. You get cash drops, silks, metals, and staffs for bow combines, regrua claws and triloun meat for baking, deepwater ink for alchemy (even if you aren't raising can sell to those who are). Also get a steady drop rate of the metal ores for smithing and the silks/pelts for alchemy. Regrua claws often drop two at a time, and each one nets you two baking combines, and they are very common drops. You do need a tinker to make you a crab cracker, but it is well worth the investment in my opinion.

I can clear water pretty fast, so instead of waiting for repops I jog over to the plane of earth and clear it too for a handful of extra bow combines. I can't do these two fast enough to make air worthwhile, and that many different mats starts to put a strain on my bag space.

You get diamond and blue diamond drops you can save for jewelcrafting combines. Mephit skins I sell for cash. If you have the bag space you can also save the specs or glyphs you get, either vendor the spell for cash or drop it on trader and try to sell, not a high demand but also not a huge supply.

Plane of air does have phoenix eggs in abundance, and if you get lucky on the staff drops can get alot of bow combines out of this zone too. Longish respawn tho, especially if you finish the ring events off.

A note on the planar tailoring combines: They require an enchanter, a spell researcher (at least once or four times), a raw diamond, subcombines, and share ingredients with fletching. In my opinion, it's better to vendor the raw diamond, blood, and skins, and use the cash on the excellent animal pelts etc. in bazaar.

For poisonmaking just play the game, everything seems to drop 1-6 poisonmaking combines now.

A note on misty thicket picnics: I'll race you, we'll both start in PoK, you run around gathering that stuff and doing combines, i'll farm eggs and regrua meat/shrooms, and we'll see who is ready for 100 non-trivial combines faster. That combine is lousy.

A note on brell's bounty: They drop in underfoot as well, but I bet if you could somehow clear an entire zone in a single pull, you'd get less than 5. They also ground spawn in cooling chamber, but that's less of an afk type run, and there's named mobs that if they are up will aggro you and likely kill you. Between having to /con for see invis and the shrooms being pretty far apart, I only did this run once (made it to zoneline with all my shrooms and 5% hps!), but if you were in a hurry to get this done it's worth doing, double the shrooms (for double the time spent shrooming), but less total elapsed real time.

I'm on the lookout for a good pottery skill path. I don't particularly care for the vendor option, but the farming for the other options doesn't seem realistic to me, given the number of combines necessary.

And: don't burn off the immaculate pelts/silks and vanadium ore you get on skillups. You can turn those in to templates (for a skillup chance) and sell for a decent price to your fellow players. Instead of taking a loss you make a profit, and you help people out.

Things that didn't work: I thought the spider hub in plane of air might get me some silks for tailoring, I cleared the whole event, and got enough for 3 combines. So that didn't really work (did get enough for 50 or so bows, silk that is, not a single staff dropped). The event has the potential to get you an unlimited supply of the silk if you needed it, there's a part where 15 adds continually respawn if killed, and they drop the air silk. This is also potentially a powerlevel opportunity, though I have no idea the level of those little ba%!@#$.

Farming BoT for foodstuffs, not really worth it. First the low drop rate is killer, and second, people like to use this zone for powerleveling for some reason. The exp is really terrible, but I suppose the "hotzone" crush never really wears off. Between the grief you get for "accidentally" killing entire wings in a single pull, and just from a desire to not mess up someone's mojo, I take a pass on BoT. For similar reasons I take a pass on plane of fire, though it is one of my favorite zones and I agree the exp is great.

I am going to try drachnid farming in DoDh and see if silks are common off them. This idea is based on killing spiders in the later expansions (Sod) they seem to have a much higher drop rate on the silks. I doubt I find anything faster than a mule in /buyer mode. As I typed this I got enough for 20 tailoring combines.

Comment

• I have to disagree with a few points that Curzon made.

1. NEVER wait to do your trophy. Do it as soon as the gnome will give you the task (I think you need an unmodified skill of 50 to get the task). The trophy adds to your modified skill. Higher skill means fewer failures which equals less loss per failure. The trophy will never be more than 1 level behind because if it gets behind, it catches up at an accelerated rate (I don't know the rate, but I have heard it is inconsequential). The higher level trophies can be a real pain to complete as well as costly. Get it as soon as you can and equip it always.

2. Baking: Dream Meat is a good option for the end run, if you have gathered/purhased many of them. Go with Dreamburger Paradise, no question. However, as I mentioned above, if you fish, then fish for Etherfish in Feerot2 and make Baked Etherfish. It is an even better option.

3. Brewing: I just became aware of a new recipe that made life enormously easier for Brewing that was added in HoT. Nighttime Spirits. Look it up. You will cuss (like I did) for making so many Kaladim's...

4. Fletching: You can do elemental bows if you want (excellent tribute items), but I would stick with Treant bows. I personally prefer the non laminated, but either is good. Only do recurves until you max out, then do the compounds (less farming). You can farm branches in Blightfire Moors in the middle of the zone where the Treants are, or as ground spawns in Elddar Forest. You can farm them in Loping Planes as well if you want to xp too.
                        Jinaabi Vah Shir - Bristlebane
                        Smithing 300 7/7
                        Tailoring 300 7/7
                        Fletching 300 7/7
                        Pottery 300 6/7
                        Baking 300 7/7
                        Brewing 300 6/7
                        Jewelry 300 6/7
                        Dagnora Drakkin
                        Poison Making 300 7/7

Comment

• Does the unfired black acrylia ornament molds represent a viable alt path for pottery? Or the obsidian scale ones? Cosgrove powder for the first, dream dust for the second...I seem to accumulate both of those pretty quickly when I'm out fighting. Not sure how much they go for in the baz these days.
                          Aanuvane Bristlecone - Druid - Povar via Quellious via Rodcet Nife
                          AKA Muertenie, Melodee, Orelinde, Nounie, Gnomess, Cininea Ashryn, Mairede or a host of additional alts. Maybe also be found on Rabon, Kynsh or Atracker.

Comment

• Thanks

Hey those molds are pretty cool, cosgrove is certainly something to add to the buyer, get a fair amount from drops too.

Nighttime spirits is certainly something to look into, but at 1200 or some combines to do, that's 2400 dream meat, and I don't get that much farming bazaar or grinding exp. A few hundred sure, but, man. That's a long haul. Picking shrooms you get 9 combines per pop and it's just a minor chore. Def. something to keep in mind when i burn off all my shrooms and am at 299 brewing tho.

I'll try the treant bows, and post back to compare the drop rates.

The trophies though, I mean, I suppose it's personal preference, but I can tell you the only trophy that leveled up to master by time i hit 300 was the tailoring trophy. I did the expert smithing trophy and the master quest because the expert trophy was at 28% to master after 37 skill points worth of combines plus another 200 combines after reaching master, doing the other quest was going to be much faster and cheaper than leveling up to master then leveling it after that.

The reason to do it early is to save yourself the cost of making the grandmaster +5% thing, which is gonna cost 6k ish. The reason to do it later is you can save yourself the trouble of leveling it up to master. With salvage 6, mastery 3, and the geerlok 5% mod, I rarely failed any of these combines. I was careful to do combines near my trivial skill for the more expensive combines, until I got into the 280's and it just didn't matter.

It seems like you can't level the trophy early either, the tailoring trophy evolved to master at 292 skill, and then stayed at 0% until 300 (about 500 combines). Another 30 combines after 300 put it at 6%.

The expert tailor task isn't substantially easier than the master tailor task. The apprentice task might be, and I suspect the lower level quests could get pretty easy, but the jewelcraft expert and master tasks each take about 8 minutes if you take your time.

I suppose my comment should be revised to say:

If you're already over 200 skill, then there's not much difference doing the task now vs, waiting till 300, as long as you already have a skill mod item, and don't mind the 6k you'll spend on the gm luclin trophy.

Comment

• I enjoyed your ideas for skill ups.
                              I don't have much to add, but I use my 83 rogue to run thru Brell's Rest to grab the ground spawn. Picking it up won't break his sneak/hide, just in case I'm within range of some agro mob. It's not much, but I can grab roughly 15 Brell's Bounty in a trip there.

I (Windru) am a druid, and I like to port to the druid rings and check the vendors for anything...for Pottery, Sunshard Ore is only 5.2 silver pieces. I will snag every single one of them I find. Even though it can get expensive buying the Pure Silver Ingots, the reward is so much worth it.

Those have been the easiest for me to get for skill ups or trophy progression.

Comment

• I spent the last day going for the treant bow skillups, and it is definately a viable path, but with the following caveats:

1. The drop rate is pretty miserable on a per kill basis. I can keep the camp down in Loping Plains with my 74 necro, but only just barely. They respawn right as I med to full. I get maybe 4 to 6 branches per hour this way. So it's a nice supplement but:

2. Blightfire moors, with a character high enough to effectively instant kill the trees, running as fast as I can, they start repopping about 40 seconds after I kill the last one. I got about 25-30 branches this way in an hour. Unfortunately everybody knows it so the camp is taken a decent amount of the time.

3. I haven't tried farming the glue or anything to get multiple skillups out of each branch, but if I do I'll repost with those drop rates vs. the others.

4. The groundspawn is a nice pacifist option, but it is a pretty long repop on the groundspawn. Checking back every ten minutes for an hour they didn't repop, they were up four hours later, but could have repopped before then. There's maybe 4 to 6 up, it's not a static spawn tho, so you have to run around and look, and I no doubt missed some. I didn't leave anyone camped out here, it's not worth the time to me.

I think much like smithing back in the day, the skillup path is probably a mixture of everything. Changing up the farm to keep it interesting. Certainly if you don't have a tinkerer/forager of your own the branches are a better option than the EP bows. I wouldn't bother to make the tinkerer/forager mules if you don't already have them, branches are fine.

I've also been buying up all the spinneret fluids I can find for those combines, there's plenty of silk available but I can only find maybe 10-20 fluids per week in the bazaar for a decent price.

So putting the 3 options together, farming EP, treants, and bazaar for fluid/silk, it takes me about a week to put together a run of 100 combines.

Anyone find out yet if changing to woodelf means redoing the symbol quests?

Comment

Working...
                                X