No announcement yet.

Melee Research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, good. Another container to store in my bank.
    Roanne LeFaye
    Warrior Barbarian of the Tribunal
    Outsider Domination
    The Seventh Hammer
    2100 Club + 300 melee Research

Comment

related- sod required?

On a related note- has anyone determined (or been stated somewhere i overlooked) whether or not it is required to have the SOD expansion to enable research on the melee and other non-int classes?

My bf and I have 3 accounts and we currently only upgraded 2 of them, but had a warr on the third I was thinking of skilling for tome research. No sense fiddling with it if its not going to work, so wondered if I could get an answer beforehand.

(Tried server gen & class chat, its amazing how little useful info you can get from there anymore.On any server.)
      Last edited by Summer; 10-27-2008, 03:07 PM. Reason: <stupid sentence structure>

Summerdusk, 85 necromancer, Fennin Ro 300 Research 7/7 ; 300 Pottery 6/7
      Areyanna, 75 cleric, Stromm -retired

Comment

I dont have SOD yet and my warrior has a 54 skill and his trophy

I also tried to make the Scrolls that anyone can use... but would not combine... had my necro make the base parchment
        Last edited by oldedawg; 10-29-2008, 03:36 PM. Reason: added junk

Comment

Level 70 Melee Aura Tome

anyone figured out any recipes for the skylance tomes seeing as almost all the spells for the skylance auras r figured out now?

Comment

Answered my own question. Disregard.
            Last edited by DragantheMonk; 11-12-2008, 12:25 AM.
            The Monkey's Gear
            250 Potter, Grandmaster Extra-Ordinaire
            Realm Powers of Zebuxoruk

Comment

Melee Research

Originally posted by Shadrok View Post
              - My monk cannot use the Spell Research Kit, "Your class cannot do tradeskills in ths container".
              You guys do realize you can look up recipes on this site, right? If you look up a monk tome, say Fists of Wu, for example, you will see that the only container you can use is the Tome Binding Kit.

I hope this helps as I need more melee researchers out there so the price on my tomes will go down.

Comment

Laugh out loud

Tailspinner,

if you check the date of my post, you will see that it was immediately afetr SoD came out. Recipes for tomes had not been discovered yet. I was on the leading edge of melee research (quickly surpassed by more dedicated or richer researchers). I found the melee research vendor a couple of days later.
                Trophies: Fr-2 Jour-4 Exp-8 Mast-6 GM-29

Comment

Originally posted by Summer View Post
                  On a related note- has anyone determined (or been stated somewhere i overlooked) whether or not it is required to have the SOD expansion to enable research on the melee and other non-int classes?

My bf and I have 3 accounts and we currently only upgraded 2 of them, but had a warr on the third I was thinking of skilling for tome research. No sense fiddling with it if its not going to work, so wondered if I could get an answer beforehand.

(Tried server gen & class chat, its amazing how little useful info you can get from there anymore.On any server.)
                  I believe you need SoD to buy the research AAs. They are greyed out on my Ranger even though she had the 4 aas required to buy it.

Comment

Parts for Bellfast

Tralz just had a talk with Bellfast about scraps of paper. Bellfast then gave him a task, "More Parts for Bellfast". However. it wasn't the collect-10-different-scraps (non-research) version, but the make-3-tattered-mechanoinstruction (research) version.

"Cool". thought Tralz. "Shadrok told me how hard it is to find the final 10th scrap in loot." Tralz knew that, since the researcher version only requires creation and not looting, he could get a set of 10 from his old friend, Stur. and then ask some finger-waggler to point out which scraps to combine together.

"This one, that one, and this one", Pages told Tralz, "will together spell out Mechanotablet, which makes the first tattered mechanoinstruction you need."

Happily, Tralz took the three scraps and inserted them into the Spell Research Kit that bellfast had ordered him to buy from Merchant Model CGXIV. Your class cannot do tradeskills in this container.

"Well, of course not", thought Tralz. "I wondered why he dinnae have me get a Tome Binding Kit." With that in mind, Tralz transferred the 3 scraps to his tomemaking kit, and hit the combine button. "Voila!" .... "No!" ... You cannot combine these items in this container type.

"Bah!" exclaimed the disgruntled Iksar warrior. "Pages. please check this scraps out again ... maybe I got them mixed up."

"M . . h . n o t a . L . t, . . c . a . . . . b . . ., and . e . . . . . . . . . e .", read Pages. "No, those are the right ones.

With a big sigh, Trlaz set off to make an offering to the god of tradeskills. "Oh, Great Ngreth, please find it in your heart to make these items combine in a Tome Binding Kit. or instruct Bellfast to give me the non-research version." After consideration, Tralz added, "If the former, please allow the Song Writing Kit, Prayer Writing Kit, and Hybrid Research kit to also be used."

Pages noted that Tralz was more likely to get his prayer answered if we do some of the work required to fix the problem. "You should tell Ngreth that the quest is outlined at ..."
                    http://www.eqtraders.com/articles/ar...r=120025000000

"Furthermore, the combines required are:"
                    ----------------------------------------------------
                    Tattered Mechanoinstructions, "Mechanotablet":
                    Mechanoinstruction Scraps 32732 M . . h . n o t a . l . t
                    mechanoinstruction Scraps 32733 . . c . a . . . . b . . .
                    Mechanoinstruction Scraps 32731 . e . . . . . . . . . e .

Tattered Mechanoinstructions, "configuration":
                    Mechanoinstruction Scraps 32735 c o . . . g . . . . . . n
                    Mechanoinstruction Scraps 32736 . . n . . . . . a . . . .
                    Mechanoinstruction Scraps 32734 . . f i . . . . . i o .
                    Mechanoinstruction Scraps 32737 . . . . . . u r . t . . .

Tattered Mechanoinstructions, "advisory book":
                    Mechanoinstruction Scraps 32738 a . v . s . . . . . . o .
                    Mechanoinstruction Scraps 32739 . d . i . o r . . b . . k
                    Mechanoinstruction Scraps 32740 . . . . . . y . o . .

Pages then showed Tralz how to send his request to Ngreth through proper channels using "/bug"
                    Last edited by Shadrok; 06-01-2009, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Appreciate people spearheading the melee reasearching here. I've been taking tradeskillling more seriously with my monk. It was a couple months back, but I wasn't able to do any of the CR "freebies" with the Tome Binding Kit. I don't like wasting GM points, so I didn't kill any there. I took the oil/solution path to 243. I had salvaged capped, but didn't see any research aa I could take as a monk. Do I need to eat GM points to get those or something? I do hope this gets looked into a bit. The melee research path was more costly the the older jewelcrafting ones (think I went through about 400k to take research to 243 and I'm sure having salvage capped brought it down). Considering the cost, I'm not able to trivial a 56th level tome yet, while int casters of comparible level (with much better paths handed to them - binding powder) can make 61st spells with trivial combines, not to mention trophies and research AA. I'll be the first to agree that a vendor skillup path should cost more than a drop path, but try comparing the 400k melee research path to the poison, alchemy, fletching, and other tradeskills that you can skillup with vendors and the usefullness of the items they can make with 200ish skills - You can't. As much as I'm enjoying tradeskilling, this is one I parked until I see some serious improvements for.

Comment

Originally posted by Jidokwon View Post
                        The melee research path was more costly the the older jewelcrafting ones (think I went through about 400k to take research to 243 and I'm sure having salvage capped brought it down). Considering the cost, I'm not able to trivial a 56th level tome yet, while int casters of comparible level (with much better paths handed to them - binding powder) can make 61st spells with trivial combines, not to mention trophies and research AA.
                        That seems a bit odd, since I am very certain I did not spend half that much funding my wife's Warrior climb to 300 Research. Admittedly, both of us farmed as much of that path as possible, so if you were spending 400k buying Sulfur and Saltpeter, you paid for convenience, in which case you could have avoided the cost by farming your own.

As to the 56 melee trivial vs the 61 caster trivial, that is very much changed by 300, with caster trivials being noteably higher for similar level spells, balanced by the existance of the Mastery AA's, which bring both Researchers into line with each other (mostly; it was said initially that melee would always have a somewhat harder time with Research, since writing down their art is harder for them).

Comment

I'm reviewing the trivial list, trying to recall the exact path, but it was two or three months ago. It was prior to the Complete Tradeskill Guide 6.1. I missed this thread entirely, back then, but there wasn't much info on Melee Researching in the Research forum.

I believe I did Vials of Pure Water from 0 to 50ish. As I mentioned, the CR 50ish freebie combines weren't doable in the tome binding kit for me. I don't like waisting my GM points, when they aren't needed, but it looks like there is/was an exploit where training one point rewards a ton of points. I'm also not sure how to pick up researching aa, as a monk.

I missed the Oil of Vitrol altogether. You're right, farming the sulfer/saltpeter and doing those would've saved quite a bit. Paying for the convenience of a vendor path is one thing, but overlooking something like this was plain ingnorant on my part.

Even overlooking something that bad, try comparing the cost of the "convenient" vendor path of melee researching to those of poison, tinkering, alchemy, fletching, and others.

Comment

Well, the simplest method I could think of was just to run a couple of samples from the EQTraders Calculator.

I managed to duplicate your results, to a point at least, by starting at 50 skill and doing nothing but a 243 trivial Research combine up to 243. It required 1066 combines and cost 347,470 plat to get there.

I then went to a similar Poison making route (since there is no vendor only route in Alchemy above 224 that I could find, and no Tinkering combine purely vendor bought over 204). I had to use a 231 trivial combine, since otherwise I would have to go to a 275 trivial in order to maintain the boundary conditions of vendor bought only, then moved to the 275 trivial combine to get to 243 skill. It required 1065 combines and cost 15,471 to get to 243, although I did have to do another 907 high trivial Pottery combines on top of that and I assumed I could get my hands on 907 Sulfur (I would have had to drop below 200 in order to find a Poison Making combine that was purely vendor, and sulfur is fairly common in the Bazaar).

Going a more moderate route, working through the trivials according to the current 6.1 guide, I cut the Research costs to 170,530 over the course of 837 combines, although the Poison Making route only dropped to 13,960 and 997 combines, since vendor routes get very scarce over 200 (Spirit of Sloth excepted, which is 1066 combines and 6,330 plat to use it from 50 to 243 if you make your own vials). To be fair though, if I farm my own sulfur and saltpeter, the Research route drops to 99,740 plat over the same 838 combines.

Conclusion is that Research is an expensive tradeskill, but not really out of line compared to what Smithing was like a couple years ago and unlike Tinkering (204), Alchemy (224) or Fletching (235, but at a cost of 375,023 to get there) there is a vendor bought route to 243.
                            Last edited by Xerius; 06-20-2009, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Crescent Reach Newby Research

For future reference ...

The Crescent Reach tasks (and any research combines) won't work until you have 1 point in research. So, you MUST visit your GM and spend one training point to kick-start your researching careeer.

Comment

I'm getting conflicting information on a few things related to melee research.

I don't like killing guild master points, as I do some testing from time to time. As a monk (melee class) I was able to skill up just fine from 1 to 243 using the melee kit. I didn't need a "kick start" of any kind. I've never seen a "kick start" requirement in any tradeskill or any skill for that matter (even all the languages can be learned without blowing GM points). I tried the "freebie" task in CR, but couldn't use the spell kit for the combines (I didn't think to try the melee kit, as it task specifically said to use the spell kit). I was able to do combines for Quill of the Transcendent right from the start with no "kick start." (looking up Quill of the Trancendent here looks like the Quill needed no longer exists, but I certainly hope they don't suddenly start adding "kick start" requirements to skills).

Another conflict is do melee classes get any research aa? I've been told it should be in my class aa, but it doesn't exist on my 75th monk or my 85th monk both having all expansions. While I appreciate any one helping and making suggestions, most of the conflicting information I've run into has been from nonmelee classes. I've yet to talk with an actual melee researcher to verify if we get a research aa. If so, I don't have it and would appreciate learning how to unlock it. I tried blowing a skill point at the guild master to see if that would unlock it, but at 243 I'm too high for him to raise.

I haven't touched the trophy yet, but am planning to do that today in hopes I can get it and it is working. I don't do much testing with my FV characters and the character slots are rather limited. If I were to test anything on my Test server characters, I'd likely add to conflicting info if anything I did there didn't go live. I'm willing to create a melee research test dummy on another live server and think that'd be more appropriate for this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X