• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about Augs

So this comes from two perspectives:

1. Someone coming back after a long absence
    2. Someone trying to skill up jewelcrafting

So, from the first perspective, I find it really hard to get augs for my gear. I quit in LDON era when Augs were first introduced and never had that many, and a lot of the ones I did have were like a very small resist boost or something that seems pointless to spend money on to move over to my new gear. I've picked up a couple nice augs from hotzones, a couple random other ones, but mostly I have a lot of pieces that don't have augs. And there's a really limited number of type 7 augs available in the bazaar, and it's hard to find them through all of the type 11 augs (JC and cultural).

As someone trying to skill up jewelcrafting, I see that there is a veritable ton of the cheaper type 11 augs on the market - the cut gems cost less than the uncut gems, because people make so many of them.

Is there some philosophical reason in the design of augs that making some cheap augs available is a bad thing? From my perspective it would be really nice to be able to churn out type 7 augs in addition to type 11 augs for skill up, and I think it would be good to make it easier for people to have some easy to get augs. I don't really care that they're "good" augs, just that they give skill and use cheap gems.. 10hp is better than nothing..

Ok. There's two different issues here.

1) The type 10/11 augs are made specifically to go into the new settings (solo, duo, trio). The settings themselves don't actually have any stats, and the system is meant to be able to craft "custom" items (much as the old JC system was.)

2) The type 7 augs fit into OTHER items (either older JC, dropped jewerly, or simply non-jewelry items.) Most of these are NO TRADE, which is why you don't see many for sale. Some are fairly easily obtained (through DoN vendors using Radiant/Ebon Crystals, for instance.) Others are quested/dropped.

I agree that it would be nice for JC (or any tradeskill, for that matter) to be able to make type 7 (or 8, 9, etc.) augs that were inferior to the existing augs but still better than nothing. However, I don't think that is in the cards, as it has been requested pretty much since augs existed.

Comment

Yeah, don't expect type 7 JC augs that are cheap to purchase anytime soon. Mabye some day when the Ogre can beat on the heads of the Itemization people (and mabye his own head) but the only type 7 I know of are the OoW aug's and those require both a high skill and are fairly pricey due to the cost to polish and and stats to.

Can it happen, yes, anything is possible given time. Is it likely to happen w/out some major proof that it wouldn't be over powering, surely. But is it going to happen anytime soon, I wouldn't hold my breath or you may turn a little blue.
      What is all the fuss about? So I forgot to pick you up at work...I just gained a level !!! -Favorite last words as I sleep on the couch

Comment

As far as slot 7 augs. There are a lot out there that are no drop. Also, the idea behind augments that I use is that when I upgrade a piece of armor, I will transfer the augment I had in that item slot over to the new piece (if it fits) or shuffle a few around to try and maximize the benefit from augments.

As far as adding crafted augments, I think that it is a good suggestion but ultimately think that there are other topics I would like to see Ngreth work on to improve tradeskills or fix issues with tradeskills and since any crafted items go to the other developers for stats (forget which one specifically is in charge of itemization) that it would take a lot longer and more resources than just what he is able to accomplish on his own.

As to your comments about skilling up in JC, I am sorry I cannot be of more help. I was 300 skill before the revamp went in so I am not sure what trivials are on all the items and which ones are good skill up choices. I think there are some posts on that either here in the JC section or down in the tradeskill guide section.
        Shawlweaver Sphynx on Cazic Thule
        Master Artisan Aldier on Cazic Thule

Comment

I've pretty much sorted out what I'm doing to get to 300. The thing is, I've also pretty much determined that while some of the things I will be making are pretty decent, the supply of them far outstrips the demand for them (there's hundreds of cut gems on the Bazaar at any given time at really low prices - 272 Marquise Cut Indigo Nihilite at 3p each atm, for example) so I really won't be able to sell anything other than Staurolite and the ones that trivial really high. While if I could make stuff like Uncut Morganite into a type 7 aug (say, different gem cut) with stats way less than the type 11 aug (perhaps 3-5 STA/STR/AGI instead of 22?), it would seem like it would increase my chance of actually being able to sell stuff, since the market for type 7 augs would seem to be bigger than the one for type 11's.

Comment

i know skilling up from 200 to 300 on mostly uncut gems, that it is still pretty cheap to get to 300. i was able to buy most of the uncut gems at 10pp each. I dont know about your server but they shouldnt cost to much just set up a buyer. the only gems i had to up my buying costs was stuarolite and the rubi gem things which i only had to pay between 20 and 35pp each. So really how much of a sellback value are you tryin to get for the uncut gems? i mean i just stuck all the gems i cut in the bank and hope one day they will be more useful considering its pointless to take up space on trader for something that is only gonna sell for couple plat each if that.
            Thulack
            95 Halfling Ranger on Cazic Thule Server
            Baking(300)+15% Trophy, Brewing(300)+15% Trophy, Fletching(300)+15% Trophy, Jewelcrafting(300)+15% Trophy, Pottery(300)+12% Trophy, Smithing(300) +15% Trophy, Tailoring(300)+15% Trophy
            Formerly Antimony Raventhorne Merchant of No Levels

Comment

It seems the problem you are having is that you have no market to sell the items that you are making.

Tradeskills are a plat sink. It is usually not until the high end that you really see any profit from tradeskilling if your intention is to make platinum. If you are looking to cover your costs, sometimes even that is not possible, but thus is the nature of tradeskills. An alternative might be seeing what a vendor will give you for them and just chalk the cost up to the price of tradeskilling.
              Shawlweaver Sphynx on Cazic Thule
              Master Artisan Aldier on Cazic Thule

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylya View Post
                the supply of them far outstrips the demand for them
                If people make something to skill up, the market will almost always be flooded to where you can't make any profit on it. Some people actually put up items in the bazaar for LESS than the materials cost, driving up the cost of the components and driving down the revenue from the results. This lets them recover part of the money they spent skilling up.

There does seem to be an exception to this rule. Spell Research has such a huge variety of products that will always be in demand, no 10 vendors can own the market. Someone skilling up generally won't make more than 1/50th of the variety the market demands. With a little creativity, a lot of patience and market research, I found it to be profitable at every level. (If this sounds tempting, have a look at the LDoN spells that have a different scroll for every class.)

Again, that's an exception. I don't expect a recipe in any other tradeskill to give you both skillups and profit from the same items until you get to the upper end.
                I tried combining Celestial Solvent, a Raw Rough Hide, Rough Hide Solution and a Skinning Knife. But the result was such an oxymoron, it opened a rift into another universe. I fell through into one of Nodyin's spreadsheets and was slain by a misplaced decimal.

Comment

Working...
                X