Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very well done!! Thanks for taking the time to do that.

The one change I would make - I would suggest in the drop downs what stats/effects each of the gems add. Even very severe abbreviations would help., like 'all around' for taaff/harmonigate/etc.

If you had your page more vertical than horizontal you would have plenty of room for it.

Superb work, though, I will be sending people to this page as a reference, as I have been sending them to the spreadsheet.

Comment

Originally posted by KyrosKrane View Post
      Sadly, that's a bug (if you can call it that) with the browsers themselves. I've had this issue before. Basically, the browser doesn't tell the Javascript engine that there's been a change in the box value when you use the arrow keys until you either hit enter or click on something else. It's roughly the equivalent of mousing over the options in the drop-down list; the display won't update until you actually click on one of the options.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll play with some options, but I don't think this is one I'll be able to fix.
      It works now. No changes on my end, as far as I know.

The drop-down boxes where completely unpopulated.

Firefox/2.0.0.10
      --
      I am not the Yakatizma you are looking for.
      No, really.

Comment

Ah, then you probably caught it in the split second when I was uploading the changes. Good timing!
        Sir KyrosKrane Sylvanblade
        Master Artisan (300 + GM Trophy in all) of Luclin (Veeshan)
        Master Fisherman (200) and possibly Drunk (2xx + 20%), not sober enough to tell!
        Lightbringer, Redeemer, and Valiant servant of Erollisi Marr

Comment

Originally posted by KyrosKrane View Post
          Sadly, that's a bug (if you can call it that) with the browsers themselves. I've had this issue before. Basically, the browser doesn't tell the Javascript engine that there's been a change in the box value when you use the arrow keys until you either hit enter or click on something else. It's roughly the equivalent of mousing over the options in the drop-down list; the display won't update until you actually click on one of the options.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll play with some options, but I don't think this is one I'll be able to fix.
          WARNING! Techy geek-speak incoming!

I did some testing of this issue. The core issue is that when you change a SELECT box value using the arrow keys, IE fires the OnChange event, while Firefox does not. The other two standards-based event, OnFocus and OnBlur, aren't useful, since they only fire when the Select box gains or loses focus; they don't fire if you change the box value. I'm not sure what the official W3C or ECMA specs say should happen when a box's value is changed using arrow keys, so I don't know whether IE or Firefox exhibits the correct behavior. Regardless, this is not something that would be easy for me to correct, short of patching the browser itself.

If anyone here uses IE7, it would be interesting to see whether the display updates automatically if you change the drop down box using the arrow keys. IE7 is supposed to be closer to official standards than IE6 was.

Short version: In Firefox, hit Enter when you reach the value you want in the drop-down box. In IE, it should update automatically.
          Master Fisherman (200) and possibly Drunk (2xx + 20%), not sober enough to tell!

Comment

Thanks for putting this together!!
            Fateseer Eirgorn Stark - 80 Shaman
            The Claw of Nagafen - Bristlebane
            Alchemy - 300, Jewelrycraft - 300, Brewing - 250, All others - 200

Comment

Changing the value of the combo box in IE7 using arrows indeed updates the stats of the jewelry in the calculator.
              Master Artisan Aeia Forestheart
              Guild leader of Defenders of Fae

Comment

Awesome! This will be very helpful for all the people (myself included) still trying to wrap our minds around the new system. Thanks, Kyros!

I did notice one thing: Goshenite lists stats of STA, WIS, and Endurance. The spreadsheet lists STR, STA, and WIS as the correct stats.
                Your brain has performed an illegal operation and will now shut down...

Comment

Fixed the Goshenite, thank you.

Comment

Works well, Kyros... but Firefox and IE7 have a bug (not you!). If you scrape-and-paste the stats, you get a whole bunch of hidden fields.

Case in point --- though it displays correctly on the page, this is what you get when you copy-and-paste (from Firefox 2.0.10, IE7).
                    Dwerium Trio Ring
                    MAGIC ITEM
                    Slot: FINGER
                    AC: 19
                    STR: 19 DEX: 19 STA: 23 CHA: 23 WIS: 23 INT: 23 AGI: 19 HP: 250 MANA: 250 Endurance: 250
                    SV FIRE: 23 SV DISEASE: 37 SV COLD: 23 SV MAGIC: 37 SV POISON: 23
                    Regeneration: +5 Mana Regeneration: +4 Damage Shield: +3

WT: 0.1 Size: TINY
                    Class: ALL
                    Race: ALL
                    Slot 1, type 11: Round Cut Taaffeite
                    Slot 2, type 10: Round Cut Cat's Eye Agate
                    Slot 3, type 10: Round Cut Lapis Lazuli

Where'd the 19 Dex and Agility come from, as well as the Regen/Mana Regen/Damage Shield?

Oddly enough, Opera does it right:
                    Dwerium Trio Ring
                    MAGIC ITEM
                    Slot: FINGER
                    AC: 19
                    STA: 23 CHA: 23 WIS: 23 INT: 23 HP: 250 MANA: 250 Endurance: 250
                    SV FIRE: 23 SV DISEASE: 37 SV COLD: 23 SV MAGIC: 37 SV POISON: 23

WT: 0.1 Size: TINY
                    Class: ALL
                    Race: ALL
                    Slot 1, type 11: Round Cut Taaffeite
                    Slot 2, type 10: Round Cut Cat's Eye Agate
                    Slot 3, type 10: Round Cut Lapis Lazuli
                    Thomen Feadannareil (85 HUM ENC)
                    Expert Artisan And Grandmaster Scrounger of Firiona Vie
                    Alchemy* 242, Baking 336, Blacksmithing 345, Brewing 336, Fletching 291, Jewelcraft 345, Pottery 345, Research 291, Tailoring 345, Tinkering 243**
                    * Available upon request from an anonymous shaman.
                    ** Subcontracted through Maolgann of Ak'Anon (83 GNM MAG)

Comment

Meh. I'm using styles to hide the fields that aren't there. The stats are all there in the display; they're just hidden from view. I guess IE and Firefox both consider them to be "real" even though I explicitly ask for them to not be displayed.

Outright removing and adding them as needed will be a much bigger undertaking. I'll see if there's some way for me to modify the script over the weekend, but it will be close to a full rewrite.

Comment

Perhaps just set the values to zero, so if they appear in the scrape-n-paste output as zero, there's no great hullaballoo?
                        Thomen Feadannareil (85 HUM ENC)
                        Expert Artisan And Grandmaster Scrounger of Firiona Vie
                        Alchemy* 242, Baking 336, Blacksmithing 345, Brewing 336, Fletching 291, Jewelcraft 345, Pottery 345, Research 291, Tailoring 345, Tinkering 243**
                        * Available upon request from an anonymous shaman.
                        ** Subcontracted through Maolgann of Ak'Anon (83 GNM MAG)

Comment

Good idea. I uploaded the zero change, but I still want to look for a more elegant solution.

Comment

Sticky?
                            Noshadow Cast 85 Human Paladin
                            Test Server
                            300 Brewing
                            205 Fletching
                            300 Baking
                            300 Smithing
                            200 Fishing
                            300 Jewlcraft
                            200 Pottery
                            200 Tailering

Comment

Please sticky. This is wonderful.
                              Silmare - Fu World Order - Bristlebane
                              Master Artisan ~ Master Researcher (Hybrid)
                              Master Tinker ~ Master Alchemist ~ Master Researcher(Caster) ~ Master Poisoncrafter

Comment

I fixed the issue with the display causing zero stats to show when you copy it. Now it's worth a sticky.

Comment

Working...
                                X