Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jewelcrafting calculator

Database Code Monkey KyrosKrane's Avatar

Jewelcrafting calculator

Mostly for fun, I put together an assembler or calculator of sorts, to show what finished jewelery of various types would look like. It's still in testing, but it seems to work so far. I've checked it most with Mozilla 2.0 and IE6, so I'm not sure if it works on other browsers.

Any feedback or bug reports would be appreciated. Once all the kinks are worked out, I hope to add it to the EQTC site.

http://www.kyros.info/Tradeskills/JC-Calc/

Last edited by KyrosKrane; 11-28-2007 at 02:51 PM.
    Sir KyrosKrane Sylvanblade
    Master Artisan (300 + GM Trophy in all) of Luclin (Veeshan)
    Master Fisherman (200) and possibly Drunk (2xx + 20%), not sober enough to tell!
    Lightbringer, Redeemer, and Valiant servant of Erollisi Marr

Expert Trader
    Very nice!! I found one bug so far: with trio setting, I was able to select 2 identical slot 10 gem and got higher stats than intended. For example, 2 round cut peridot on a dwerium gets me +20 ac rather than the intended +10 ac as identical gem don't stack in the game.

Perhaps a script somewhere that checks and warn of invalid duplicate slot 10 gems? Or one that blocks adding of second slot 10 stats if it's the same as first slot 10 gem? Also check slot 11 as some slot 10 are also usable in 11

Trillion cut taaffeite is missing resists
    Last edited by Unapuma; 11-28-2007 at 12:10 PM.

Grolyn Blacknife
    Beastlord
     T:7
     M:0
     T:6
     M:1
    Fletching:
     M:2
    Zira Blacknife
    Shaman
    Maelin Starpyre
    Vazaelle
    Reiseraa
    Necro
    Research:

Both should be fixed now.

Adding and deleting options from the drop-down list would be very tricky, so instead I chose the easy way and set it to show an error message and not update the display if you select duplicate gems.
    Master Fisherman (200) and possibly Drunk (2xx + 20%), not sober enough to tell!

Apprentice Trader
    Doesn't work in firefox?
    --
    I am not the Yakatizma you are looking for.
    No, really.

I use Firefox for all my development and most of my testing. It works fine for me. What version of Firefox do you use, and what specific error message did you get? (If any, of course.)

If the problem was the page not loading at all, I adjusted the link above slightly. I'm not sure why it's failing without the www, but that should be fixed soon.

I fixed a bug that I only noticed when testing with IE. Basically, I'd named two elements on the page with the same name, which was causing a conflict. Firefox guessed what I meant, but IE didn't. It should be fixed for both cases now, so no guessing is needed.

Visitor
    Nice tool you've put together. Noticed that you have the marquise cut on the taaf and harmonogate being melee stats, and the round cut being caster stats. I think this is backwards, but I can't check in game atm to give you specifics.

There might be a couple of errors on the gem stats. I copied the info from the spreadsheet in the sticky, but while formatting it for use in the script, I think I overwrote a couple of the values. If you notice an error, please post the gem name and I'll verify it.

I verified the harmonagates and taaffeites and fixed an error in one harmonagate. Uploading that now.

Visitor
    A very small issue - and I'm not sure you even want to/can fix it...

When you have focus on one of the gem drop-lists, using the arrow keys to scroll up and down doesn't trigger any change in the item statistics.

Fdiwen

Sadly, that's a bug (if you can call it that) with the browsers themselves. I've had this issue before. Basically, the browser doesn't tell the Javascript engine that there's been a change in the box value when you use the arrow keys until you either hit enter or click on something else. It's roughly the equivalent of mousing over the options in the drop-down list; the display won't update until you actually click on one of the options.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll play with some options, but I don't think this is one I'll be able to fix.

Expert Trader
    I've noticed that as well, and it also happens on other forms as well like the resistor value calculator I use. I find if I use the arrow key to change the option, hitting the enter key will cause the display to refresh with the selected gems.

Works fine with Firefox 2.0.0.1

Grolyn Blacknife
    Beastlord
     M:1
    Fletching:
     M:2
    Zira Blacknife
    Shaman
    Maelin Starpyre
    Vazaelle
    Reiseraa
    Necro
    Research:

Visitor
    Here's my feedback... Brilliant!!! Thanks a ton, Kyros
    Master Artisan Alaene
    80 Druid
    Destinatus

Visitor
    Very nice ! Thank you Kyros.

Visitor
    wow that is fantastic thanks!

Visitor

Talking

Very well done!! Thanks for taking the time to do that.

The one change I would make - I would suggest in the drop downs what stats/effects each of the gems add. Even very severe abbreviations would help., like 'all around' for taaff/harmonigate/etc.

If you had your page more vertical than horizontal you would have plenty of room for it.

Superb work, though, I will be sending people to this page as a reference, as I have been sending them to the spreadsheet.

Apprentice Trader
    Quote Originally Posted by KyrosKrane View Post
    Sadly, that's a bug (if you can call it that) with the browsers themselves. I've had this issue before. Basically, the browser doesn't tell the Javascript engine that there's been a change in the box value when you use the arrow keys until you either hit enter or click on something else. It's roughly the equivalent of mousing over the options in the drop-down list; the display won't update until you actually click on one of the options.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll play with some options, but I don't think this is one I'll be able to fix.
    It works now. No changes on my end, as far as I know.

The drop-down boxes where completely unpopulated.

Firefox/2.0.0.10
    --
    I am not the Yakatizma you are looking for.
    No, really.

Ah, then you probably caught it in the split second when I was uploading the changes. Good timing!

Quote Originally Posted by KyrosKrane View Post

WARNING! Techy geek-speak incoming!

I did some testing of this issue. The core issue is that when you change a SELECT box value using the arrow keys, IE fires the OnChange event, while Firefox does not. The other two standards-based event, OnFocus and OnBlur, aren't useful, since they only fire when the Select box gains or loses focus; they don't fire if you change the box value. I'm not sure what the official W3C or ECMA specs say should happen when a box's value is changed using arrow keys, so I don't know whether IE or Firefox exhibits the correct behavior. Regardless, this is not something that would be easy for me to correct, short of patching the browser itself.

If anyone here uses IE7, it would be interesting to see whether the display updates automatically if you change the drop down box using the arrow keys. IE7 is supposed to be closer to official standards than IE6 was.

Short version: In Firefox, hit Enter when you reach the value you want in the drop-down box. In IE, it should update automatically.

Visitor
    Thanks for putting this together!!
    Fateseer Eirgorn Stark - 80 Shaman
    The Claw of Nagafen - Bristlebane
    Alchemy - 300, Jewelrycraft - 300, Brewing - 250, All others - 200

Changing the value of the combo box in IE7 using arrows indeed updates the stats of the jewelry in the calculator.
    Master Artisan Aeia Forestheart
    Guild leader of Defenders of Fae

Hobbyist
    Awesome! This will be very helpful for all the people (myself included) still trying to wrap our minds around the new system. Thanks, Kyros!

I did notice one thing: Goshenite lists stats of STA, WIS, and Endurance. The spreadsheet lists STR, STA, and WIS as the correct stats.
    Your brain has performed an illegal operation and will now shut down...

Fixed the Goshenite, thank you.

Apprentice Trader thomenthechanter's Avatar
    Works well, Kyros... but Firefox and IE7 have a bug (not you!). If you scrape-and-paste the stats, you get a whole bunch of hidden fields.

Case in point --- though it displays correctly on the page, this is what you get when you copy-and-paste (from Firefox 2.0.10, IE7).
    Dwerium Trio Ring
    MAGIC ITEM
    Slot: FINGER
    AC: 19
    STR: 19 DEX: 19 STA: 23 CHA: 23 WIS: 23 INT: 23 AGI: 19 HP: 250 MANA: 250 Endurance: 250
    SV FIRE: 23 SV DISEASE: 37 SV COLD: 23 SV MAGIC: 37 SV POISON: 23
    Regeneration: +5 Mana Regeneration: +4 Damage Shield: +3

WT: 0.1 Size: TINY
    Class: ALL
    Race: ALL
    Slot 1, type 11: Round Cut Taaffeite
    Slot 2, type 10: Round Cut Cat's Eye Agate
    Slot 3, type 10: Round Cut Lapis Lazuli

Where'd the 19 Dex and Agility come from, as well as the Regen/Mana Regen/Damage Shield?

Oddly enough, Opera does it right:
    Dwerium Trio Ring
    MAGIC ITEM
    Slot: FINGER
    AC: 19
    STA: 23 CHA: 23 WIS: 23 INT: 23 HP: 250 MANA: 250 Endurance: 250
    SV FIRE: 23 SV DISEASE: 37 SV COLD: 23 SV MAGIC: 37 SV POISON: 23

WT: 0.1 Size: TINY
    Class: ALL
    Race: ALL
    Slot 1, type 11: Round Cut Taaffeite
    Slot 2, type 10: Round Cut Cat's Eye Agate
    Slot 3, type 10: Round Cut Lapis Lazuli

Meh. I'm using styles to hide the fields that aren't there. The stats are all there in the display; they're just hidden from view. I guess IE and Firefox both consider them to be "real" even though I explicitly ask for them to not be displayed.

Outright removing and adding them as needed will be a much bigger undertaking. I'll see if there's some way for me to modify the script over the weekend, but it will be close to a full rewrite.