Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alchemy skill increasing items

Hiyas

I recently got the Umbracite Swarm Orb (+15% alchemy)
    and I already have the Philosophers Stone (+10% alchemy)

I also have max skill in alchemy (200)....soo, I have 2 questions maybe no one knows the answer to...

do the +alchemy effects of those 2 items stack giving me +25% alchemy? doubtful, but does anyone know?

and since alchemy is capped at 200 skill then does the +15% even raise it anyways? since it cant be over 200? *shrug*....

trying to figure out what my skill level is, but I dont know how to calculate the % increases cause I dont know if they stack or not...

ideas and comments are welcome
    -Merna

From Geerloks and +tradeskill items in the FAQ forum:
    Q: If I have multiple enhancing items, does their effect stack or does it use the highest percentage one only?
    A: According to the most recent communication with VI, the effects do NOT stack. Only the highest-bonus item of those you are wearing/wielding will apply.
    As for whether alchemy can be effectively over 200 with the use of the orb or stone, the short answer is: probably.

The long answer is that we don't have a definite answer from the Powers That Be, but the logical assumption is that you can. The hard coded limit for any skill of any kind is 252, due to the way that skills are designed in the game. That means that a smith with a skill of 250 using a 5% item has an effective skill of 252. But if that same smith gets their brewing up to 200 and does not use any AAs to let them go over 200 uses a 5% geerlok, they have an effective skill of 210.

It also makes sense historically. Originally, when the game was created, there was no way to go over 200 in any tradeskill. Only jewelcraft had recipes that trivialled that high, but even there your skill stopped at 200. Shamans could never get beyond 170 because our highest potions trivialled there. Higher trivial recipes were added for more tradeskills some time later, somewhere in the Velious era (or maybe Kunark), around the time that we were given the ability to go to 250 in one general tradeskill. At that time no changes were made to alchemy that would raise the level limit high enough for us to get beyond 200 or to give us recipes that trivialled that high, so there was no reason for them to change the alchemy code along with the others. When they gave us the 180+ recipes in Luclin, the level limit still restricted us to a maximum skill of 180. It was not until PoP that we finally had both the recipes and the available levels to actually go beyond 200. It wouldn't surprise me terribly if the implications for alchemy were overlooked. However, a fix now will only enable us to get to get another whopping 5 points. I'm betting that right now it's simply not worth their time to go to the trouble of fixing it just to let us get 205 instead of 200.

All of which is my rather verbose way of saying that it's easy to see how alchemy might have just been overlooked because of the limitations on us due to our original choice of recipes and the level-based skill limit. There is no reason to believe that alchemy is any different from other tradeskills in being able to effectively go over 200.
    Retiree of EQ Traders...
    Venerable Heyokah Verdandi Snowblood
    Barbarian Prophet & Hierophant of Cabilis
    Journeyman Artisan & Blessed of Brell
    EQ Players Profile ~ Magelo Profile

Smith Dandi wipes her sooty hands on her apron and smiles at you.

Comment

nice answer

:P good answer...thanks ...I guess I can sell my Philosophers Stone then....

-Merna

Comment

Working...
      X