The act of Smithing Elegant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The act of Smithing Elegant

At this point, I'm under the assumption there is a level restriction on smithing Elegant gear. I have a 69 High Elf smith and at skill 274 I couldn't get the book or have Elaborate recipes initially show up, but with experiment I was able to do the combines and learn the recipes. They now show up with search.

I followed the same logic with my main and Elegant armor. He is a lvl 76 Half-Elf smith, unmodified blacksmithing skill 300, blacksmithing AA at Tier 2 and evolving trophy at 6/7. Reading the various boards, looking at how the lower level DoN recipes worked and throwing in a little logic, I figured out what I thought was close to the recipe and decided to old school experiment my way to the recipe. After many "You cannot combine those items in this container", I recieved a very different message. I recieved

"This seems correct but something is wrong. Perhaps you need to know something more in order to combine this."

Can anyone confirm it is simply a matter of insufficient level or does someone know of an element I have overlooked? With a skill of 300, I'm hard pressed to figure out what more I might know other than a quest connected to combining Elegant, which would be different from all the lower forms of DoN armor. I appreciate any responses.

You simply need to buy and scribe the elegant armor book. Go to the book vendors in PoK or other shopping zones and look for the new vendor. (In PoK he's standing next to the old ones.) He'll have the new books for elegant, sublime, and exalted stuff. Scribe them and you'll be able to make the armors.
    Sir KyrosKrane Sylvanblade
    Master Artisan (300 + GM Trophy in all) of Luclin (Veeshan)
    Master Fisherman (200) and possibly Drunk (2xx + 20%), not sober enough to tell!
    Lightbringer, Redeemer, and Valiant servant of Erollisi Marr

Comment

Note that there are level restrictions on who can see the various books, however. For the tippy-top armor and augs, I believe that you need to have 300 unmodified skill. (Not sure about the 75 augs - may be 300, may be a bit less).

So your 274 smith won't be able to see the books to buy them for a bit. Your 300 smith will be able to make the augs, but your High Elf will have to work on skill more before he can learn the recipes to make them.

Garshok
      Last edited by Zopharr; 11-16-2007, 07:18 AM. Reason: detail
      Garshok
      95th Dreadlord, Povar-Quellious, 300 Ogre Grand Master Smith, 300 all skills
      (glad the climb to 300 is finally over)

Zopharr
      95th Priest of Brell, Povar-Quellious, 300 Dwarven Grand Master Smith, 300 all skills
      (holds his 15% smithing trophy in his off hand and pretends to dual-wield - and hopes the Holy Dirt of Brell he's carried for twelve years will have a use in the new expansion)

Rishathra
      95th Shaman of Inny, Povar-Quellious, 300 Troll Grand Master Smith
      (got so tired of looking for a troll smith for armor that I made one)

Marzanna
      95th Necromancer, Povar-Quellious, 300 Tinker - Tailor
      (still working on Solder, Spy)

Comment

He's 274 skill, that won't help him.

They changed recipies to remove "experiment" from the list of options, Tauth, but the bright side is you only need 1 more skill point to buy the book.
        Quellious Server
        Jhavon, Erudite Tailor (300)
        Kitira, Dark Elf Brewer (269), JCr (286)
        Tardpol, Froglok Smith (242)

Comment

There are not *level* restrictions on making any of the combines.

There are *SKILL* restrictions on buying (technically seeing the books on the vendor) the books that you will need to scribe to learn the recipes in order to make the armor.

There is a level restriction on getting the QUEST for making the level 75 and 80 symbols, like there always has been on all of the symbol quests.
          Ngreth Thergn

Ngreth nice Ogre. Ngreth not eat you. Well.... Ngreth not eat you if you still wiggle!
          Grandmaster Smith 250
          Master Tailor 200
          Ogres not dumb - we not lose entire city to froggies

Comment

I guess I wasn't clear on my question. I understand why Tauth cannot get the Elegant books, skill 274, but I am confused with Triok, my Half Elf, 300 unmodified skill smith.

There are not *level* restrictions on making any of the combines.

There are *SKILL* restrictions on buying (technically seeing the books on the vendor) the books that you will need to scribe to learn the recipes in order to make the armor.
            Then at level 76 300 skill, he should be able to do the Elegant combines, and he is not. He is getting the message

"This seems correct but something is wrong. Perhaps you need to know something more in order to combine this."

Side note on Tauth.
            His skill was 274 now 278. He still has not bought the Elaborate book. I don't see the need since he has been successfully making Elaborate gear from the recipes he learned using experiment.

Comment

The mystery is solved and Thank You! KyrosKrane aka. Sylvanblade.

I had a sneaking suspicion I was overlooking or had missed something obvious.

look for the new vendor. (In PoK he's standing next to the old ones.)
              He happens to be standing between the Tailoring and Tinkering venders and being the silly creature of habit I am, when I first went to grab the book, I ran straight to the smithing book vender, saw no Elegant availble and did that assume thing and didn't bother to look around for a new vender. I already knew the other venders standing there were for other tradeskills, not smithing.

Your simple comment tweaked my curiosty and allowed me to correct my foolish mistake. Thank you to everyone who responded. As a result I have now successfully created an Elegant Wayguard Cuirass. I will post the recipe n stats in the appropriate thread shortly.

Thank you again
              Triok Ciir`Koirt - 76 Half Elf 300 smith.

Comment

Yeah. Unfortunately the vendors were full (or full enough that I could only get 1 or 2 more on them) so I had to make a new one.
                Ngreth Thergn

Ngreth nice Ogre. Ngreth not eat you. Well.... Ngreth not eat you if you still wiggle!
                Grandmaster Smith 250
                Master Tailor 200
                Ogres not dumb - we not lose entire city to froggies

Comment

I'm a unmodified 300 human smith with 12 percent trophy. I bought all the cultural smithing and armor books and scribed them. The only items that don't show up in a forge are the sublime symbols. They won't even show up in the the cultural forge in Qeynos. I assumed it was because I'm only level 75 and the sublime symbols are level 80, but I guess I'm wrong. Is it because I haven't completed the quest and obtained the patterns? No, that can't be it, because I haven't completed the quest for the level 75 symbols, but they show up in the forge. What gives, Ngreth?

Also, both the 75 and 80 level books listed titanium ore and alkalai loam as the ingredients to use in making the symbols. Is this correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Lonefeather View Post
                    I'm a unmodified 300 human smith with 12 percent trophy. I bought all the cultural smithing and armor books and scribed them. The only items that don't show up in a forge are the sublime symbols. They won't even show up in the the cultural forge in Qeynos. I assumed it was because I'm only level 75 and the sublime symbols are level 80, but I guess I'm wrong. Is it because I haven't completed the quest and obtained the patterns? No, that can't be it, because I haven't completed the quest for the level 75 symbols, but they show up in the forge. What gives, Ngreth?

Also, both the 75 and 80 level books listed titanium ore and alkalai loam as the ingredients to use in making the symbols. Is this correct?

For lvl 80 symbols its Porous loam*sp*, and tantalium ore.. And i would guess its coz you arnt lvl 80.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonefeather View Post

I don't know anyone who has made the level 80 symbols to confirm, but the common assumption is that they require porous loam and tantalum like the armor. (I confess, I haven't read the book, merely scribed it - would be quite nice if it required only alkalai loam like the level 75 augs, but I don't think Ngreth's naughty streak would let us get away with that if it is the case.)

Rish is level 75, hasn't done the quest, but sees the sublime recipes no problem. Silly question, but are you sure that you bought the Sublime aug book? I know I'm pretty confused by the welter of all the books - after finally getting down to smithing on Zopharr for a guildy Sunday and finding that I having to go back to PoK twice because I'd bought just the 'elegant' book but nothing else, I just went and rebought all of them for every toon to make sure.

The other thing is that there are now tons of augs, and depending on how you do the search the sublime recipe may be left off due to the recipe limit. I always search based on diety - such as 'of the warmonger.' That way the resulting list is short enough that I will see all the recipes, including Sublime (which I am nowhere near making).

No other ideas.

Garshok
                      Garshok
                      95th Dreadlord, Povar-Quellious, 300 Ogre Grand Master Smith, 300 all skills
                      (glad the climb to 300 is finally over)

Zopharr
                      95th Priest of Brell, Povar-Quellious, 300 Dwarven Grand Master Smith, 300 all skills
                      (holds his 15% smithing trophy in his off hand and pretends to dual-wield - and hopes the Holy Dirt of Brell he's carried for twelve years will have a use in the new expansion)

Rishathra
                      95th Shaman of Inny, Povar-Quellious, 300 Troll Grand Master Smith
                      (got so tired of looking for a troll smith for armor that I made one)

Marzanna
                      95th Necromancer, Povar-Quellious, 300 Tinker - Tailor
                      (still working on Solder, Spy)

Comment

Ok, for any level of gear there are a number of books to acquire.

The recipe books:
                        To make a template for the level 80 armor, you need to purchase a book in the PoK and click the scribe button. There are numerous template books. These run from smithing recipes for tin templates (the lowest skill) to tantalum templates (the highest skill). Tailoring has a similar set of books. These books are skill restricted (you need a 300 skill to purchase highest books) and have titles like, "Smithed Armor Step XIII".

To get the recipes for turning the templates into level 80 Ancestral Armor (not all templates can be turned into armor, most are only for skilling up), you need to purchase a different book in the PoK and click the scribe button. These books are skill level restricted and have names like, "Elegant Human Cultural Smithing".

To get the recipes for creating the various level 80 Symbols you need to purchase a third book in the PoK. Again these books are level restricted and have names like, "Smithing Sublime Cultural Symbols".

These books contain the recipes for the level 80 armor (there are different books for different levels of armor). You need to purchase these books and click the "Scribe" button to learn the recipes. You cannot purchase these books unless you have a skill of 300 (for the lesser levels of armor you need less skill). You cannot learn the recipes via the "Experiment" button. You cannot make these items without learning them first.

Ok, now that you have learned the recipes, you can go to any forge and look up the smithing recipes for the Sublime Symbols and the Tantalum Templates. You can go your cultural forge and see the recipes for the symbols template and the Elegant Armor. But without the Sublime Symbol Patterns or the Molds for Human Gloves (as an example), you can only make the templates. This brings us to the...

Quested Books:
                        The only thing new here is the quests for the Exalted Symbol and Sublime Symbol books. The quests to get these books come from the same NPC as all the other quested books. As with the other quested books these are level restricted (not skill restricted). If you are 5 levels below (or higher, of course) the recommended level of the symbol, you can get the quest. Skill doesn't matter.

Why put a level restriction on the quest? I am not certain but I have a level 30 gnome alt with a 300 skill in tinkering. He was standing in the guild hall and thought to himself, "Mmmmmm, Sublime Symbols. Fortress Mechanotus." was instantly killed by the zone for even considering it.
                        Huntmaster Bariag DarkWoods

Master Artisan

Comment

Originally posted by Zopharr View Post
                          I don't know anyone who has made the level 80 symbols to confirm, but the common assumption is that they require porous loam and tantalum like the armor. (I confess, I haven't read the book, merely scribed it - would be quite nice if it required only alkalai loam like the level 75 augs, but I don't think Ngreth's naughty streak would let us get away with that if it is the case.)

Rish is level 75, hasn't done the quest, but sees the sublime recipes no problem. Silly question, but are you sure that you bought the Sublime aug book? I know I'm pretty confused by the welter of all the books - after finally getting down to smithing on Zopharr for a guildy Sunday and finding that I having to go back to PoK twice because I'd bought just the 'elegant' book but nothing else, I just went and rebought all of them for every toon to make sure.

The other thing is that there are now tons of augs, and depending on how you do the search the sublime recipe may be left off due to the recipe limit. I always search based on diety - such as 'of the warmonger.' That way the resulting list is short enough that I will see all the recipes, including Sublime (which I am nowhere near making).

No other ideas.

Garshok

Yes. I'm sure I purchased every book. I remember the highest level one was pretty expensive, like around 600 plat and change, and the vendor took my money so he better have given me the right book. And I actually took the time to read them before scribing and both the book for the level 75 symbols and the book for the level 80 symbols said to use titanium ore and alkalai loam to make the symbols. And I remember thinking at first that can't be right, but then I thought, well, if they use different patterns, I guess it could.
                          Last edited by Lonefeather; 11-20-2007, 01:27 AM.

Comment

The only thing i can suggest is to buy the sublime book again and rescribe it. Since being human we do make errors. I do not remember how much the sublime book was, and didnt read them personally, but i do know that the sublime augs require tantalum ore and porous loam to be smithed.

Comment

the books were 8 p or so

Comment

Working...
                              X