Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginners Guide to the new Cultural Tailoring(making Templates).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginners Guide to the new Cultural Tailoring(making Templates).

This is a short Guide for those that wonder about all the new drops and maybe want to dabble with low-end Tailoring for a change.

You will find new types of Silk, Animal Pelts, Ores, Loams, Marrows and Fluids on mobs. These are the new dropped ingredients for Cultural crafting. The Silk, Pelts and Ore are used for the first step in making Cultural Armor. For Tailoring these are the so called Templates. The Ores (Tin Ore, Iron Ore and such) are for Cultural Smithing while the Pelts and Silks are for Cultural Tailoring. I will talk about the Silks and Pelts mostly since I only have dabbled in Tailoring yet. I also only talk about making Templates with the new drops, for skilling up. The second step, the actual armor combines that yield the armor with stats is not discussed here. The Loams, Marrows and Fluids are used in this second step(Loams for Smithing, Marrow for Leather and Fluid for Silk).

First off, any Race and Class can make these Templates, both for Silk and Leather, as well as for Smithing. No deity restrictions either and there are no Quests involved in this first step, just dropped and bought ingredients(as opposed to the second step, where you will need to do a few quests to get patterns and such for making the actual armor).

To learn these new recipes for making Templates, go to a couple of new vendors that stand to the left of the door to the library in PoK. There are 4 new vendors there, and they sell the books. They are called : a tradeskill armor historian, a cultural tinkering historian, a cultural tailoring historian and a cultural smithing historian. You will only see the books on them that you are allowed to see depending on your crafting skill. The books are about 1 pp currently. At skill zero I could see and buy the tailoring and smithing books up till tier 4. Buy the books, rightclick to open them and then push the "scribe" button you see on them(some bugs are reported with this button with custom UI's). Book disappears and your new recipes will show up when you open your Sewing kit! (search for Templates). The template recipes I had now were good for skilling up to trivial 106. Once I had reached skill level 78 in tailoring I went back to the vendors and could see book 5 now, and scribed it. This gave me the 5th tier of template recipes, the ones using Thick Silk and Crude Leather with skill trivial up to 140-ish.

The Silks you find are the dropped ingredient to make Silk Armor Templates . There are 13 Tiers, that drop of level appropriate mobs(and type-appropriate mobs). The first 5 Tiers of dropped Silks are:
    1. Coarse Silk
    2. Rough Slik
    3. Tacky Silk
    4. Sullied Silk
    5. Thick Silk

When making Templates these first 5 tiers will get you to skill 35, 55, 80, 106 and 140(around) subsequently. This was for the Robes and Tunics which have the highest trivial obviously. The trivials for the highest tiers go all the way up to 400+ (for the future).
    I found the first 3 tiers of Silks and Pelts to be dropping of Blackburrow Gnolls a LOT, even some 4th tier sullied Silks and Pelts there too. Also note that the level-dependance is not absolute: I found the tier 4 silks also on level 4 Scrawny Gnolls while the level 14 Gnoll Elites would also drop the tier 1 Silks. In fact the lower level gnolls seemed to drop a lot more it seems. Sometimes I found like 2 different pelts and 3 different silks + some Ore on a single mob, even small stacks up to 3.

Same tier progression for Animal Pelts: these are the dropped ingredients for Leather Armor Templates. First 5 tiers of dropped animal pelts are:
    1. Ruined Animal Pelt
    2. Mangled Animal pelt
    3. Tattered Animal Pelt
    4. Sullied Animal Pelt
    5. Crude Animal Pelt

They follow about the same skill trivials as the silks. The Templates that you will be making do not have stats themselves and can not be worn but are used in the final combines to make the real Cultural armor. For that you need some more dropped components: these are the Loams, Marrows and Fluids as mentioned above. In about 1 hour of farming BB(level 39 SK) I got enough Silks and Pelts to get my tailoring from 21 to 78 using both Silks and Pelts to make templates. I could make these templates in my Deluxe Sewing kit. According to dev Ngreth, you will need a 10-slot kit to make the larger combines (Tunic, Pants and Cloak) since these need 10 ingredients. So Loom, Deluxe Sewing kit and Cultural kit will all work. For the actual armor combines (step 2) you will need the 10-slot Cultural container anyway.

All the bought ingredients can be found on a few vendors in PoK, Crescent Reach and Abysmal Sea. That goes for the Needle, the Chemicals, the Patterns and the Filaments.

All template recipes look like this:
    • 1 Simple Sewing Needle (returns on failure and success, bought, cheap))
    • 1 (tier) Filament (bought, scales in type and price) The same type of filaments are used for both Silk and Leather template combines.
    • 2 , 4 or 6 (tier) Silks *or* 1, 2 or 3 (tier) Animal Pelts, depending on what armor template you make (dropped from level appropriate mobs)
    • 1 Silk Curing Chemicals (for Silk Templates, bought, cheap) *or* 1 Tanning Chemicals (for Leather Templates, bought, cheap)
    • 1 Silk or Leather (mask, gorget, tunic etcetera) Template Pattern (bought, cheap)

Glove, Gorget, Mask and Wristband use 2 Silks/1 Pelt; Cloak, Tunic and Pants use 6 Silks/3 Pelts and all the rest uses 4 Silks/2 pelts.

So to make a Coarse Silk Mask Template(trivial 21) you need a Simple Sewing Needle, 2x Coarse Silk, 1x Silk Curing Chemicals, 1x Crude Filament, 1x Silk Mask Template Pattern.

Bought ingredients are all very cheap exept one component, the Filaments, which scale up in type and price(first 5 tiers are called: crude, plain, twisted, thread and cord filaments). Starts cheap with tier 1(used for the tier 1 silks and pelts) costing 4-5 gold and scales all the way up to around 131 pp a piece for tier 13. For example, the tier 5 filaments(cord filaments) that you use with tier 5 Thick Silks that will get you up to skill 140-ish cost around 5pp. So the Filaments are the single "moneysink" type of ingredient of these Template combines. However, you can sell back the Templates you make for a not so big loss(if you do not use them for making real armor). The other bought ingredients are like 1 gold each (the proper pattern, Curing/Tanning Chemicals and Simple Sewing Needle which returns on fails and successes). So all of these, including the filaments and the Needle, are found on the same vendor, at least this is true for the PoK vendor. His name is Higwyn Matrick in the building near the entrance to the Bazaar. I have heard of some higher tier bought ingredients not being on the vendors yet though.

Pelts and Silks stack to 20. The Chemicals(bought) also stack to 20. The patterns and filaments stack a lot higher(75 to 200). The actual Templates you make stack pretty badly, from 3 to 15. Not sure if this is a bug or intended, but I sell them back immediately anyway.

Have fun!

NB, I posted this guide on the EQ forums too under the name of Bulge which is an alter of mine.
    Last edited by Treesong; 10-17-2007, 07:38 PM.

Thanks for taking the time to type this up Treesong.

Comment

Yes, very nice. Might want to correct the spelling of "Course Silk" to "Coarse Silk" though.

Comment

Corrected! Also added a note that these templates can be made by any Class/Race/Deity and require no quests.

Comment

Working...
        X