Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Complete Tradeskill Guide 5.0 (rev.10/2007)

Expert Trader
    Quote Originally Posted by masbik View Post
    Guess no one knows of any other tradeskills "freebies" other than JC in Cresent Reach?
    You can always just got to the different trade skill NPCs in CR and find the ones that have the quests, there are quests to 54 for all the tradeskills.

Gorse

Visitor
    Thanks. Much appreciated. I did some looking around in Cresent Reach and found the quests.

Visitor
    Very good info thanks for all of it.
    Forsetii McFatii
    70 Cleric - luclin

Visitor

JC alternative

I find that jc is easy 2 raise with cut gems. I used: round cut malachite to 60, round cut cats eye agate to 75, round cut star rose quartz to 91, and trilion cut amber to 178. this all costs relativly little with only gems 2 buy and they only cost under 3pp.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimeraian View Post
    I find that jc is easy 2 raise with cut gems. I used: round cut malachite to 60, round cut cats eye agate to 75, round cut star rose quartz to 91, and trilion cut amber to 178. this all costs relativly little with only gems 2 buy and they only cost under 3pp.
    I was already at 200 when I began using the cut gems to skill up. I went ALL THE WAY to 300 using the Uncuts and the Nihilites. Super cheap, most of the time. I'd just stick them away on my Bazaar Trader until I had a full stack of something (sometimes a couple types of full stacks, if the buying was good) and then skill up for a while.

GREAT way to max out JC!
    Mikaal Drazzminius
    Tier'Dal Necromancer
    Rodcet Nife by Birth / Quellious by Merger / Povar by Re-Merger

Master Artisan
    Necrotalk Admin
    EQ Traders Super Moderator
    EQ Magelo Advisor/Moderator

Hobbyist

Oct 2007

I recently started over on a different server. I havent played in a long time so this post helped me remember how to progress. A couple updates from someone using this from the beginning. In pottery, poison vials and lined poison vials would of saved me 100 pp or more instead of doing large bowls. They dont require any extra steps either. In brewing, you should mention that the fetid essence is used in smithing. I sold it to a busy merchant and wasnt able to buy it back. The new(are they still new?) global drops made tailoring a breeze up to 135. Only bought a few silks and hides from the bazaar, no real farming needed. The pricey component really goes up fast though. starting at 1pp at 70 skill up to 12pp at 150 skill. This makes banded much more economical. There isnt any other mostly store bought tailoring to compare to though.

Hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimeraian View Post
    Trilion cut Bloodstone is trivial 174, and costs 5g per combine.

Expert Trader
    Typically you can get nihilite cheap (set up a buyer at 5-10pp each) and if you take the time to do the Gates of Discord, Abysmal Sea jewelry conversion quest, you can eventually "learn" your way up to where your yield is three parts for each conversion (from raw to normal, works for all nihilites).

Raw Crimson Nihilite --> Crimson Nihilite --> Marquise Cut Crimson Nihilite = 234
    Raw Indigo Nihilite --> Indigo Nihilite --> Marquise Cut Indigo Nihilite = 259
    Raw Amber Nihilite --> Amber Nihilite --> Marquise Cut Amber Nihilite = 284

I strongly recommend this for anyone wanting a cheap alternative to get from high 100s/low 200s up to 284 and are on a budget.

You can even take this route to 300 if you want to spend the plat on Raw Shimmering Nihilite, but it usually costs a lot more.

Raw Shimmering Nihilite --> Shimmering Nihilite --> Trilion Cut Shimmering Nihilite = 310

Gorse
    Last edited by Gorse; 12-02-2008 at 07:43 AM.

IN pottery would it be easier to make unfired elaborate blade shaped mold to 223? then unfired inured metal wrap shaped mold to 242....one more unfired large elegant large hilt casting mold to 255? Just suggestions hope it helps..
    AWESOME write up tho! Thank You lots!

Apprentice Trader
    I got a pottery skillup yesterday making a stalwart mold and thought "Boy, this would be much cheaper than steins". Once we get a complete trivial list it should definitely go in the guide.

Contributor
    For jewel crafting, if money isn't a big concern, using the guide with all storebought gems and metal bars was super quick for me. At first I spent some time with the cut gems like the nihilites but they don't sell back to a vendor for quick cash. Instead I stood in front of the PoK vendors in the building behind the main bank and went from 248 to 300 in maybe a couple of hours. I just sold the finished product back to the vendors at a slight loss but over all, it was the most painless of the tradeskills to max.

Expert Trader
    Quote Originally Posted by Elinea View Post
    For jewel crafting, if money isn't a big concern, using the guide with all storebought gems and metal bars was super quick for me. At first I spent some time with the cut gems like the nihilites but they don't sell back to a vendor for quick cash. Instead I stood in front of the PoK vendors in the building behind the main bank and went from 248 to 300 in maybe a couple of hours. I just sold the finished product back to the vendors at a slight loss but over all, it was the most painless of the tradeskills to max.
    Except for the fact that no vendor only items will take you up to or over 300 skill.

If you have the money to invest and take your chances on 200pp+ combines that's great, but that also means 200pp+ per failure, which at lot of people cannot afford. The nihilite suggestion was for people on a budget, as previously mentioned.

Gorse

Visitor

Smile

The blue diamonds and velium bars were a little pricy for me. Took the wind out of my sails when I saw the cost. I see some people making money on tradeskill items but all I have seen is making a small fortune out of a large one

Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorse View Post
    Except for the fact that no vendor only items will take you up to or over 300 skill.

If you have the money to invest and take your chances on 200pp+ combines that's great, but that also means 200pp+ per failure, which at lot of people cannot afford. The nihilite suggestion was for people on a budget, as previously mentioned.

Gorse
    Bah, I forgot to mention, that I went to the magus, and soulstone vendors in the guild lobby, and bought up the blue diamonds that players sell to them. There were easily over 600 blue diamonds on those guild lobby vendors. The cost is high, but you get alot of it back once you sell the finished jewelry item back to the vendor. As I said, it is at a loss, but I didn't lose hundreds on the sellback. Maybe a 30pp loss per item. I don't have exact numbers Also, by following the guide, I kept my skill level very close to the item I was making, so I didn't have many failed combines to lose money on.

Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Elinea View Post
    Bah, I forgot to mention, that I went to the magus, and soulstone vendors in the guild lobby, and bought up the blue diamonds that players sell to them. There were easily over 600 blue diamonds on those guild lobby vendors. The cost is high, but you get alot of it back once you sell the finished jewelry item back to the vendor. As I said, it is at a loss, but I didn't lose hundreds on the sellback. Maybe a 30pp loss per item. I don't have exact numbers Also, by following the guide, I kept my skill level very close to the item I was making, so I didn't have many failed combines to lose money on.
    I recently did JCing and I followed the recipie and must say that selling the items back makes it pretty painless, even at high level having to purchase Blue Diamonds (262 from vendors that have purchased them from other players, and Velium bar another 262 so 524 purchase cost, sells for 409 to vendor a loss of 115 plat per combine, nothing like Pottery

Contributor
    Wow I didn't think I lost 115pp per sellback, but I don't know if my woodelfness and high charisma helped me out or not. I really didn't keep track of the money though (typical female that I am!). I was too busy combining, selling, buying more, rinse, repeat lol.

Hobbyist
    Best path for JC 260 to max 15% trophy is Uncut Black Sapphire, Uncut Rubelite, Raw Shimmering Nihilite. I setup a buyer for these items and paid like 20pp for the uncut gems and 50pp for the RSN (because it turns into 2-3 Shimmering Nihilite). Bought enough to max my enchanters skill and trophy in one sitting. Then hadned the extras to my wife who proceeded to max her warrior and cleric and still had a couple hundred Shimmering Nihilites left.

Skill up rates and trophy improve rates are very high on Trilion Cut Shimmering Nihilite.

My theory to maxing skills is patience in buying and obsession in leveling. When I sit down to grind tradeskills I plan to max whatever I'm working. If I don't think I have the provisions for it, I'll wait. To max JC I think I had a little over 1,000 combines of the above items. Skill was at 298 and trophy was at 12%, and had plenty left over as I said.

Most obsessive tradeskiling I've ever done was Tinkering from 50 to 300 and max trophy in one day. But that was very expensive and time consuming. hehe

Ore Skill-ups

Ore Barbs:
    (just combine ore with file in a forge)

..62 - Thalium Barbs
    112 - Fulginate Barbs
    184 - Rhenium Barbs
    222 - Cobalt Barbs
    242 - Titanium Barbs
    255 - Tantalum Barbs
    268 - Vanadium Barbs

Chainmail Gloves Template Patterns
    :
    (Chainmail Gloves Template Pattern (1g4c), Metal Tempering Chemicals (1g4c)=2g8c/combine + Smithy Hammer, specific ore and coal)
    [ie: Buy Thalium in the Bazaar for 5pp each. Total cost per combine would be 5p+2p4g1s1c+2g8c=7p6g1s9c per combine. Rhenium for 50pp each = 50p+32p6g2c+2g8c=82p9g per combine]

..Triv- Ore type - Coal Type (Price)
    ..22 - Tin Ore - Crude (1g4c)
    ..42 - Iron - Natural (4g4s6c)
    ..67 - Silvril - Sulfurous (1p1g2c)
    ..92 - Thalium - Brown (2p4g1s4c)
    127 - Iridium - Nitrous (5p3s9c)
    160 - Fulginate - Dull Black (12p9g1s4c)
    198 - Rubicite - Brown Nitrous (18p1g6s4c)
    236 - Indium - Dark Brown (23p4g1s4c)
    274 - Rhenium - Black Nitrous (32p6g2c)
    312 - Tungsten - Lustrous Black (49p6g6s4c)
    350 - Cobalt - Toluene (65p4g1s4c)
    388 - Titanium - Anthracite (99p5g3s9c)
    426 - Tantalum - Bituminous (131p3s9c)
    Mikaal Drazzminius
    Tier'Dal Necromancer
    Rodcet Nife by Birth / Quellious by Merger / Povar by Re-Merger

Master Artisan
    Necrotalk Admin
    EQ Traders Super Moderator
    EQ Magelo Advisor/Moderator

Hobbyist

JC to 170

Id recommend the following for JC

Freebie Quest to 54
    Round Cut Malachite 60
    Round cut Lapis Lazuli 64
    Round Cut Turquoise 68
    Round Cut Hematite 72
    Round cut Cat's Eye agate 75
    Round Cut Onyx 79
    Round Cut Jasper 83
    Round Cut Carnelian 87
    Round Cut Star Rose quartz 91
    Round Cut Wolf's eye Agate 95

Trilion Cut Bloodstone 174

Cut stones do have a sellback rate now and with a 150 Intel, 101 Charisma that path cost less than 400pp when just doing the recommended path the metal bars cost nearly 1.5k for just the skillups from 110 to 154 ( gold bloodstone necklace).

At minimum someone needs to put a big note on the JC part of the guide that JC has been very revamped since that path was recommended.
    Last edited by Grizabelle; 04-02-2009 at 03:26 PM.

Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeer View Post
    Smithing
    163 - 168 Fine Plate Bracer (If you dont want to make Fine Plate, you can skip it to make Enchanted Velium Bits instead)
    It may be better to go for Fine Plate Collar instead to get up to 166. The Plate Bracer Mold is 5 plat while the Plate Gorget Mold is only 7 gold. If you are lucky and get 19 out of 20 success, you lose only 1 or 2 plat by selling the collars back to the vendor for 21 plat depending on your faction and charisma.

Ore costs 20 plat and water + mold is around 8 gold. Even my Iksar (not the most liked of races) can sell the collars back for a 1 plat per collar profit in CR. Better faction and charisma would probably recoup the loss of 1 for every 20 combines.

My only gripe is that I prefer to manufacture rather than fight but once you hit close to 200, it becomes very level dependant. I'm getting bored with constantly fighting mobs with my character now at 60 but later combines require drops from higher level mobs which forces you to level up to farm them I want a break from combat which is why I want to do my tradeskills.

It may also be worth pointing out that the Enchanted Velium Pieces are lore items so you can only have one at a time in your inventory. They are no trade so all you can do is destroy them after making them. At 11 plat a time for the temper and spell, that can get quite expensive even if you farm the velium, so this is a 100% loss whether you successfully combine or not. I would personally go straight to the next step so you can at least sell what you manage to combine sucessfully and cut down on your lesses.
    Last edited by Tryst; 05-27-2009 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Additional

Expert Trader
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewwy View Post
    Skill up rates and trophy improve rates are very high on Trilion Cut Shimmering Nihilite.
    I would argue this point. Either you got extremely lucky or I got extremely unlucky, or both. I only ended up with 7 skill-ups off 600 combines making Trilion Cut Shimmering Nihilite.

I've been saving up (just over 350 Raw Shimmering Nihilite) for another push to 300 and to max out the trophy (this will be my third 300 JC, but it is my tinker bot and it will save me a bunch of sorting hassle maxing out his skill and trophy).

Bottom line, I don't think there is anything special about the Trilion Cut Shimmering Nihilite recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryst View Post
    It may also be worth pointing out that the Enchanted Velium Pieces are lore items so you can only have one at a time in your inventory. They are no trade so all you can do is destroy them after making them. At 11 plat a time for the temper and spell, that can get quite expensive even if you farm the velium, so this is a 100% loss whether you successfully combine or not. I would personally go straight to the next step so you can at least sell what you manage to combine sucessfully and cut down on your lesses.
    Now that there are cheaper options your discussion point is mostly valid. Prior to the Smithing/Tailoring revamp (aka global drop surplus) this was by far the best route to push from 165 (modified) to 222 (unmodified) skill. Even now it is still a very reasonable route, even with the no sell back.

Gorse

Visitor
    Is anyone else bothered by the pay pal?